Publishing Question for a Short Series

writerannabelle

sentient potato
Publishing Question for a Short Series on Amazon

Hey all!

So I intend to end one of my series (Iceman) right around Ch. 5. My question for those of you who have published is if I should release each chapter as its own short story (for those of you who have read it, I would combine Ch 1 and 2) or put it all together and release it as a single novella. Edit: I am talking about publishing on Amazon.

Each chapter is standalone, so no cliffhanger endings or anything like that. Each chapter weighs in roughly around 8k (average). Very curious about your thoughts, and I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey all!

So I intend to end one of my series (Iceman) right around Ch. 5. My question for those of you who have published is if I should release each chapter as its own short story (for those of you who have read it, I would combine Ch 1 and 2) or put it all together and release it as a single novella.

Each chapter is standalone, so no cliffhanger endings or anything like that. Each chapter weighs in roughly around 8k (average). Very curious about your thoughts, and I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Some readers automatically shun long stories, others automatically shun multi-chapter pieces.

So about 40k words, all up? That's about 11 - 13 Lit pages. I'd suggest a single submission in one category. That's very common.

Multi-chapter submits (unless posted frequently and regularly, which by the sounds of it you can do) often suffer high drop off in readers between the first and subsequent chapters, because the readers don't see the later chapters (or don't like the story).

Multi-chapter stories can add the dilemma of category hop, which again works both ways.

What's the category you propose? That might be an influence.

The thing to remember about a series is that the longer it goes on, the less views it will have. So that's something to keep in mind.

Hey all!

So I intend to end one of my series (Iceman) right around Ch. 5. My question for those of you who have published is if I should release each chapter as its own short story (for those of you who have read it, I would combine Ch 1 and 2) or put it all together and release it as a single novella. Edit: I am talking about publishing on Amazon.

Thanks!

If they're standalone stories, then might you present it as anthology?

Surely a single story, for a novella on Amazon?

(Cheeky writerannabelle, seeking advice on a competitor publishing site ;))

While cheeky (you’re not the first person to say it :p), these stories were published here first. The smart and wonderful people of Lit got to read them for free, and now the uneducated masses will pay for the same privilege! *cue evil laughter*

If they hold together as a coherent story line, I suggest you publish them as one work.

Back