What is up, with the weather ?

Sorry to politicize a weather thread on the politics board, but it's all Trump's fault! Right?
 
The California Fire of 2017

Incident commanders added 1,500 acres to the total burned the day before, a sum of 269,000 acres with any structure damage being assessed after the sun rose. All told, on Saturday there were 34 helicopters working the Thomas Fire, which stretches from the Ventura County city of Fillmore, back to Ojai’s Sespe, and roughly east of Gibraltar Road in Santa Barbara’s front country. The finger of fire closest to Montecito touches the Tea Fire outline near Mountain Drive and goes up to East Camino Cielo Road. As of last count, 8,529 firefighters are engaged in the battle, and the total cost has risen to $116 million.

(We were warned, that global climate change would prove to be costly.)

A lookout post and more engine crews dotted the east side of Mission Canyon in case winds threw the Thomas Fire over the ridge from the Rattlesnake drainage. Winds maxed out at 36 mph around 8:30 p.m., according to the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden weather station, then dropped into steady breezes that stayed in the teens. The weather station on Montecito Peak has stopped sending a signal, said Eric Boldt of the National Weather Service, apparently burned out by the fire flare-up on Saturday morning, its last report showing a 62 mph gust.

https://www.independent.com/news/2017/dec/17/thomas-fire-eases-sunday-morning/


https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...new-evacuations-threatens-coastal-communities


http://www.newspress.com/Top/breakingNews.jsp

Sadly, this alternative newspaper was bought out by a billionaire (Wendy McCaw)

One California newspaper went against the blue tide by boldly endorsing Donald Trump for President.

That paper? The already controversial Santa Barbara News-Press.


http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/newspaper-endorsement-California-Donald-Trump-9288952.php


5 Editors, Columnist Quit in Santa Barbara
News-Press' billionaire owner improperly intruded on content, the journalists say.
July 07, 2006


Editor Jerry Roberts was escorted from the newspaper's headquarters before noon as several staff members cried and others hurled obscenities at the new publisher, Travis K. Armstrong, the latest in a series of people to run the paper under controversial owner McCaw.

"... reporters and editors described an "awful" and "surreal" scene -- what Santa Barbara's alternative paper called a "self-inflicted blood bath."

The journalists who resigned Wednesday and Thursday cited several instances in which McCaw injected herself into areas they said were typically left to journalists.


Roberts and the other departing journalists believed that would obliterate the line that traditionally separates newspapers' news-gathering operations from their opinion pages.

"I think there is a good reason that American newspapers keep straight news separate from the opinion pages," Roberts said. "It's so readers can tell the difference between fact and opinion. To do anything that would lower that barrier is a very slippery slope."


http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul/07/nation/na-newspress7


Thomas Fire climbs to third largest fire in California history at 269,000 acres, 40 percent containment, some structures lost in Montecito



December 17, 2017

(content blocked- paywall ?)
 
Bitter cold causes two sharks to wash up on Cape Cod beaches

The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy said the team responded to reports of two stranded sharks on Cape Cod Wednesday


Officials said the two male thresher sharks were nearly the same size and likely succumbed to cold shock.

The sharks were discovered at Wellfleet and Skaket beaches, the same beaches cold shock sea turtles wash up on.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/bitter-cold-causes-two-sharks-to-wash-up-on-cape-cod/14507115


Anti-freeze shark

Greenland shark (Somniosus microcephalus), also known as the gurry shark, grey shark, sleeper shark, or by the Inuit name Eqalussuaq.

2) They like it cold. Greenland sharks are native to the North Atlantic waters around Greenland, Canada, and Iceland. They are the only true sub-Arctic shark and the only shark that can tolerate Arctic temperatures year round. They prefer very cold water (-1°C to 10°C). In the summer, they tend to stay in the ocean’s depths where the water is coldest. In the winter, they make a vertical migration to the surface layer, which at that time is colder than the water on the sea floor.


3) These sharks can go deep. Greenland sharks have been observed at the water’s surface all the way down to 2,200 meters deep. They are sometimes seen resting on continental shelves and slopes at these great depths.


10) Their flesh is poisonous. Greenland sharks contain high levels of trimethylamine oxide (TMAO; it helps regulate their osmotic pressure and also acts as a natural antifreeze). During digestion, TMAO breaks down into trimethylamine (TMA). TMA causes intestinal distress and neurological effects similar to extreme drunkenness. Eating too much can even lead to convulsions and death. Early settlers of Iceland and Greenland figured out a way around this. Greenland shark flesh can be eaten with no ill effects if it is prepared correctly: the meat must be buried in the ground for 6 to 12 weeks, exposing it to several cycles of freezing and thawing. After this the meat is hung up to dry for several months, and finally cut into bite-sized cubes. The end product, Hákarl, is a delicacy.

https://www.wired.com/2014/02/creature-feature-10-fun-facts-greenland-shark/
 
yeah

100 billion dollars was the cost this year's disasters, caused by global climate change.

Our current government plans on borrowing, to cover the costs.

Shrugs, from the Deficit Hawks. The Deficit was only an issue, under President Obama's watch.


During his two terms, Bill Clinton gave America peace and prosperity, helped create nearly 23 million new jobs, turned an inherited budget deficit of several billion dollars into a budget surplus, and left office with the United States as the respected leader of the post-Soviet Union free world.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...ars-after-bill-clintons-election-as-president

President Obama improved the lives of many, and left very little debt. Much less than Republicans that held the office.


I was born in 1954, and I have seen the cycles too many times. The Republicans throw a very expensive party for themselves, after Democrats do the hard work of cleaning up after the mess they make.

$100,000.00 to $70,000.00 in paychecks for the year, and you decided that Tonald Drump would do much better, by you ?

Tonald Drump will be long gone, and your children, and your granchildren will be left with the gritty dust that he leaves behind.

Congratuations, Republicans, you have turned back the clock. We have Winter temperatures that approach the early 1800s, and children have rickets, again, in 2018.

Yes, the disease that crippled Tiny Tim. You remember Tiny Tim's crutch, don't you ? The bitter cold did not help his weakened spine, damaged leg, or his compromised health.

America's children have a more severe suffering, in their future. In the year 2017, food production in America had losses. The weather, the fires, the floods, the deadly storms, the drought, all caused affordable food sources to be lost. The concern for children's health demanded clean water, clean air, clean soil. Obscene profit has replaced that concern. The ultra rich 1% have decided that they are the only true Americans, and they have decided that the 99% is welcome to die like insects.
 
December 1, 2017


How do you explain something as diffuse and complicated as climate change to kids? Why not start with a simpler concept: What is climate? That’s this year’s Flame Challenge question, where every year scientists test their communication skills in front of a group of third grade judges. Veteran actor and expert science communicator Alan Alda joins Ira to discuss this year’s theme.

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/alan-alda-wants-to-know-what-is-climate/

youtube

A Call for Students to Judge The Flame Challenge™ 2018: What is Climate?
Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science


If 11 year old students are able to understand what climate and climate change are,maybe they can explain to White House.
 
Back
Top