Anyone Wanna FAWC?

What was the title of the story in question? Should be able to see if it's still in the system, and if so, whether it has your pen name on it.

"The Sister's Cranky." I didn't assign a category to it in the opening slug, because it's one that would give too much away, so maybe it will be left in Chain Stories. I can wait on it, though, to see if it gets onto my list. (It's not like I need another story listing to beef the list up.)

Some really good points there. I think my own confusion about where the story was going resulted in parts of it being unresolved. Initially, I was going to use Clio's cancer as a hint about why Charles stopped writing. It wasn't his creative energy, after all, but rather hers, and when she developed cancer, he suddenly stopped writing. But then I changed that as a hint to her from her fellow muses that her time with Charles was up.

I could have -- and should have -- done more with the story. I think I wrote myself into a last-minute corner on this one.

As far as using italics, I hadn't thought about that. It's clear to me, but then, I'm the writer. A lot of things are clear to me that won't be to the reader. Since, in my current story, I'm using italics both for internal dialogue as well as to emphasize other kinds of speech -- and I use it when describing a flashback scene as well -- maybe I should look into other ways of emphasis and keep italics to just indicate thoughts.

Thanks for the critique. I've got some things to think about. ;)

I did think that Clio was his muse for his earlier books and saw in his lack of production her drifting away from him, both in sexuality and in fact, through a terminal illness.

The romantic version of this (which very well might have gotten you the win--as D_Lynn says, your writing is first rate) perhaps would be him pulling away from applying his new power in having sex with other women in self-realization that he wasn't what he once was in desirability either, coming back to his wife for his inspiration, Mel going "oh nuts" at having lost, Clio suddenly finding she now was cancer free, and ending in a glowing review of his new book, saying that after the insipid style he had previously been drifting into his new novel celebrated what true romance was all about--aging gracefully together, through temptation and ill health.

But you were probably faithfully following a Greek myth (I'm not up on my Greek myths) and were stuck with the tragedy.

Last edited:
I did think that Clio was his muse for his earlier books and saw in his lack of production her drifting away from him, both in sexuality and in fact, through a terminal illness.

The romantic version of this (which very well might have gotten you the win--as D_Lynn says, your writing is first rate) perhaps would be him pulling away from applying his new power in having sex with other women in self-realization that he wasn't what he once was in desirability either, coming back to his wife for his inspiration, Mel going "oh nuts" at having lost, Clio suddenly finding she now was cancer free, and ending in a glowing review of his new book, saying that after the insipid style he had previously been drifting into his new novel celebrated what true romance was all about--aging gracefully together, through temptation and ill health.

But you were probably faithfully following a Greek myth (I'm not up on my Greek myths) and were stuck with the tragedy.

I had considered that angle, too. I almost wrote the scene with the redhead with Charles suddenly having a change of heart, realizing his life wasn't perfect but he still loved his wife, and then going home to seduce his wife.

There were too many ways I could have done this, and I think because of that I ended up with what the kids now call "a hot mess." :p

Maybe I'll submit an edit on it. If I can decide how I "should have" written it.

I had considered that angle, too. I almost wrote the scene with the redhead with Charles suddenly having a change of heart, realizing his life wasn't perfect but he still loved his wife, and then going home to seduce his wife.

There were too many ways I could have done this, and I think because of that I ended up with what the kids now call "a hot mess." :p

Maybe I'll submit an edit on it. If I can decide how I "should have" written it.

Only redo it if you really see something you can do with it that pleases you more.

I'm sure the rating will be much higher in the general file than it was as a FAWC no matter what you do with it.

("ensure" instead of "insure," by the way in the one mention I saw. "Insure" is for insurance policies.)

Only redo it if you really see something you can do with it that pleases you more.

I'm sure the rating will be much higher in the general file than it was as a FAWC no matter what you do with it.

Maybe. We'll see, I guess.

("ensure" instead of "insure," by the way in the one mention I saw. "Insure" is for insurance policies.)

:D Yeah, I get those mixed up when I'm typing fast. I have to remember to ensure I eat dessert. ;)

Mine has shown up as well. I'm surprised how quickly FAWCker's list was cleared out, considering there's a contest going on.

Mine has shown up as well. I'm surprised how quickly FAWCker's list was cleared out, considering there's a contest going on.

Right. I assumed it would be the normal three or four days. If I'd know I could resubmit today I wouldn't have submitted a different one.

Only thing I don't get is why it shows mine scored at 4.08 on the popular story list and 3.90 on my list. I am looking forward to #2.

Only thing I don't get is why it shows mine scored at 4.08 on the popular story list and 3.90 on my list. I am looking forward to #2.

The score on your private author statistics page is the only one that's updated with every vote. Every other place the score is displayed only updates every so often. The toplists, for example, only update once per day. The popular story list updates more often, but I've never tried to pin down how often. Even your own public submissions list doesn't update with every vote.

Bottom line is that your private stat page is the only one that's correct. Everything else is behind by varying amounts of time.

Mine is still in a state of flux. Doesn't show up on FAWCker's list or mine. Not worried, just adding the info for anyone who's curious.

Getting ready to test something. Going to see what happens when I send an email comment on A Gloryhole Adventure.

Since the reassigned stories are still listing FAWKer as the author on the individual story pages, I want to see if the necessary changes were made to reassign the email destination as well.

And, message sent. Let me know who gets it. If it goes to the FAWKer account, there still a little tweaking Laurel needs to do to the reassignment process.

Getting ready to test something. Going to see what happens when I send an email comment on A Gloryhole Adventure.

Since the reassigned stories are still listing FAWKer as the author on the individual story pages, I want to see if the necessary changes were made to reassign the email destination as well.

And, message sent. Let me know who gets it. If it goes to the FAWKer account, there still a little tweaking Laurel needs to do to the reassignment process.

It didn't go to FAWCker's email. ;)

Looks like all is well, then.

Sort of odd that the FAWKer name is left as the credit, but everything else related to the story has been changed so it's assigned to the author.

Even the category listing now shows the author name ( just checked that )

Maybe that's one of the things that will eventually change as the public cache updates. Remains to be seen, I suppose.

I had too much on my plate for #1, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the topic of #2. If it strikes me, I may jump :)

The email came to me. Guess we'll learn more as the site updates.

Looks like all is well, then.

Sort of odd that the FAWKer name is left as the credit, but everything else related to the story has been changed so it's assigned to the author.

Even the category listing now shows the author name ( just checked that )

Maybe that's one of the things that will eventually change as the public cache updates. Remains to be seen, I suppose.

I had too much on my plate for #1, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the topic of #2. If it strikes me, I may jump :)

I'm surprised and impressed at how quickly the whole thing was handled. I really didn't think Laurel would jump on that as quickly as she did. Must have caught her at a good moment in her day. ;)

Overall, the success of the first FAWC is certainly encouraging. Maybe, at some point, it will become a regular thing. :D

Hopefully, it will. There was a different feel from the themed contests and it was fun to be a participant. Thanks for all the hard work putting it together.

There really was a different feel, wasn't there? The anonymous factor but a different spin on the standard "I pit my work against everyone else's on this site" vibe. Even though the views were a trifle of what any author would expect from one of the themed contests, I feel the voting was much more honest as a whole. It wasn't perfect, but it certainly was fun.

On to the next. ;)

Hopefully, it will. There was a different feel from the themed contests and it was fun to be a participant. Thanks for all the hard work putting it together.

I want to congratulate you on a damn fine story. I do have to ask if that was the intended ending or if the deadline cut you off. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Back