The Cool Science Stuff Thread



Far and away the best explanation I've ever seen of why "climate science" isn't science.





"What separates astronomy from astrology? They both use data and make predictions. They track the stars and astral bodies. But what is the real difference? The difference is that one is falsifiable. Astronomy says planet X should be in position Y at time Z. It is either there or not. Astrology says I will be a warm and loving person this month and will feel lucky.

Like science, pseudoscience bases ideas on observation, but, unlike science, they advance propositions that are not open to the possibility of disproof. It doesn't mean the propositions are wrong, just that they are, by definition, not testable, provable, and therefore, not science. Science often involves revisions to theory, even profound embarrassment.

A pseudoscience, by contrast, is never in danger of embarrassment. Its propositions are designed to have the patina of science, but be immune to all contradictory evidence, because every imaginable state of affairs can somehow be reconciled with them. Climate change, unfortunately, has fallen into this pseudoscience trap. What possible data, what possible result, is not consistent with climate change theory? Warm weather? Cold weather? More rain? Less rain? When both flooding and drought are consistent with your climate theory, perhaps your theory is a little too loose to be called "science", and perhaps, a little humility is in order when discussing possible futures and responses.

And, I must admit, this frustrates me deeply, because, I think the pseudoscience element of climate change is attractive to people because they see being non-falsifiable as a feature, not a bug."



-"Geoengineer"
(an internet nom de plume [obviously])


 
16473106_10154851506374765_3460458086123516716_n.jpg


Shouldn't Pink Floyd be playing?
 
Research research....why didnt I get a job like this???




PwhB9hE.jpg


WHY DO NIPPLES GET HARD? <<<<<<<CLICK FOR ARTICLE


When someone experiences hard, painful nipples, their first concern may be whether this is evidence of a severe health problem. The good news is that nipple pain is rarely a symptom of cancer or another serious disease.

It is normal for nipples to become irritated during certain activities, such as sports. This can usually be resolved with simple remedies or lifestyle changes......
 


Mystery Of Purple Lights In Sky Solved With Help From Citizen Scientists


Specifically, the aurora and STEVE creation process starts with the Sun sending a surge of its charged particles toward Earth. This surge applies pressure on Earth’s magnetic field, which sends the Sun’s charged particles to the far side of Earth, where it is nighttime. On this far, night side of Earth, Earth’s magnet field forms a distinctive tail. When the tail stretches and elongates, it forces oppositely directed magnetic fields close together that join in an explosive process called magnetic reconnection. Like a stretched rubber band suddenly breaking, these magnetic field lines then snap back toward Earth, carrying charged particles along for the ride. These charged particles slam into the upper atmosphere, causing it to glow and generating the light we see as the aurora — and now possibly STEVE.
Credits: NASA Goddard’s Conceptual Image Lab/Krystofer Kim




...Notanee Bourassa knew that what he was seeing in the night sky was not normal. Bourassa, an IT technician in Regina, Canada, trekked outside of his home on July 25, 2016, around midnight with his two younger children to show them a beautiful moving light display in the sky — an aurora borealis. He often sky gazes until the early hours of the morning to photograph the aurora with his Nikon camera, but this was his first expedition with his children. When a thin purple ribbon of light appeared and starting glowing, Bourassa immediately snapped pictures until the light particles disappeared 20 minutes later. Having watched the northern lights for almost 30 years since he was a teenager, he knew this wasn’t an aurora. It was something else.

From 2015 to 2016, citizen scientists — people like Bourassa who are excited about a science field but don’t necessarily have a formal educational background — shared 30 reports of these mysterious lights in online forums and with a team of scientists that run a project called Aurorasaurus. The citizen science project, funded by NASA and the National Science Foundation, tracks the aurora borealis through user-submitted reports and tweets...

...The study highlights one key quality of Steve: Steve is not a normal aurora. Auroras occur globally in an oval shape, last hours and appear primarily in greens, blues and reds. Citizen science reports showed Steve is purple with a green picket fence structure that waves. It is a line with a beginning and end. People have observed Steve for 20 minutes to 1 hour before it disappears.

If anything, auroras and Steve are different flavors of an ice cream, said MacDonald. They are both created in generally the same way: Charged particles from the Sun interact with Earth’s magnetic field lines.

The uniqueness of Steve is in the details. While Steve goes through the same large-scale creation process as an aurora, it travels along different magnetic field lines than the aurora. All-sky cameras showed that Steve appears at much lower latitudes. That means the charged particles that create Steve connect to magnetic field lines that are closer to Earth’s equator, hence why Steve is often seen in southern Canada...



more...



 
Back
Top