Bitching about Boston

May-ah Walsh said to shovel your sidewalks, and to please uncover fire hydrants.

You have three hours to do it. Get out there!

People need to walk to work.

The commute will happen.

Shifting the St. Patrick's Day parade to Broadway. Four foot high piles of snow cannot be moved in time.

Wednesday, the bus stops for school children will not be safe. No school.

March 14, 2018

Nationwide School Walkout 2018

The city supports the protest, but Wednesday may not be the best day for a student march.
 
Many moons ago, when I was but a young(er) lad, I had a blast in Boston! Seen the Charles River, met some cool folks, did some karoake, walked about a good bit. Then one cold sunny morning I had my 1st encounter w/one of those rotary things. I ended up going in another direction and never went back.
 



At 41°F with 20-25 mph winds, it was a tad chilly for a run but the 6.1 miles through the forest went surprisingly well. The trees are effective at moderating the breeze. In theory, 41° with 20 mph equates to 29-30° (F, of course).

Stopping by the running store on the way home, the owner observed that the New Englanders are going to find it extremely difficult to train for the Boston Marathon (April 19th). It's only 32 days away and qualifiers should be deep in their training regimen at this point. The only problem is, of course, that New England is buried in snow. Where are they going to find a place to put in the requisite 20-mile training runs?




 
Chetan Rakieten
@chetanrakieten
The #ducks are ready for #stpatricksday. #bostonpublicgardenducks #bostonpublicgarden #boston @FOPG @boston25 @CityOfBoston

4:51 PM - Mar 11, 2018 · Make Way For Ducklings
https://www.irishcentral.com/news/community/saint-patricks-day-parades-2018

Sunday March 18, 2018 Boston, MA

http://southbostonparade.org/the-parade/


Boston's St. Patrick's Day Parade is will go on Sunday, March 18, despite more issues brought on by the snow. For the second consecutive year, and third time since 2015, the weather has shortened South Boston St. Patrick's Day/Evacuation Day Parade. But the historic spectacle will go on, beginning at 1 p.m.

The revised route for the 2018 St. Patrick's Day Parade starts at the Broadway MBTA Station. The route goes from East Broadway to West Broadway and ends at Farragut Road. Broadway will be closed from about 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.


From 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m., special shuttle bus service will run to and from the Summer Street side of South Station to Summer Street at East 1st Street in South Boston. Beginning at approximately 9:45 a.m., all bus routes that normally service Broadway or Andrew Stations will be unable to do so due to traffic and road closures, though the stations will remain open for Red Line subway service. Additionally, Bus Routes 9, 10, 11, and 47 will be detoured around the parade area.


Transit police ask spectators to leave backpacks and water bottles at home

https://patch.com/massachusetts/boston/boston-st-patricks-day-2018-parade-guide

Dress warmly! Wind chill is not friendly.
 
Ah, Winter Storm Toby was a Don Juan. He snowed massive amounts of white stuff on the states, on the East Coast. Had very little left, to give to Boston.

Other states received 8, or 10, or 12. :(

*Salute to Maryland! Better you, than us. Clean up after blizzards and hurricaine force floods, has over-depleted our budgets. Thurmont, Maryland: 16.5 inches *

But, the few inches that were given, has refreshed the snow we have. Temporarily pretty.

March 21, 2018

Villanova Wildcats did not exactly cruise to Philadelphia International Airport on Wednesday afternoon.


Villanova's charter bus battled with the elements to get the team on the road in time to catch a flight to Boston.


http://www.phillyvoice.com/villanova-basketball-teams-bus-gets-stuck-snow-way-sweet-16/
 
"We’re now a lot further into spring than at the beginning of March. The ground is warmer, the sun is stronger because it is higher in the sky and we have more hours of daylight at the end of March compared with the beginning of the month. All of these factors are likely to subdue the impact of any snowfall."


This opinion seems as if it applies to Boston, and the surrounding bedroom communities.

It does not.

(New England's weather and season length has always been unpredictable. It has become more, so.)

Boston was teased with mild temperatures and sunshine, yesterday. It lasted long enough to send the melting snow into the gutters. We had good road conditions for the teenager's march for their lives.


Source of prediction-

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...as-beast-from-the-east-returns-for-third-time
 
Greater Boston comments, about Roseanne's show

Emily Rooney


Beat the Press on Boston PBS, is having a discussion about Roseanne's TV show


"Roseanne-Colored Glasses" Is the media reading too much into the Roseanne reboot?


WATCH: Roseanne-Colored Glasses;
Journalism vs. Activism; Break-In News


Emily and the panel discuss: coverage of the 'Roseanne' reboot; whether journalism and activism can co-exist; standards to which reporters who cross the line are held; and the panel's weekly rants & raves

The culture wars are getting exposure, through her show
Archie Bunker and his show evolved. Will Roseanne's new show evolve ?
(Barr is using dog whistles from the Other Side of Alice in Wonderland's Mirror, as punchlines.)

ABC lies about how they decided about Roseanne's show


Roseanne's conspiracy theories, and involvement with Trump trolls.
 
A morning commute, that is not so lovely.

Not only are there road crews, attending to the potholes and torn up pavement. There is a icy slickness to the surface that will have some drivers sliding off into ditches.


We are not alone, in some freakish déjà vu, April Fool's snow, thankfully. Plenty of East coast towns are getting snow.

https://www.boston.com/sports/mlb/2018/04/02/snow-new-york-yankees-home-opener



Bruce Beck
@BruceBeck4NY
Today’s #Yankees game has been postponed! Rescheduled for 4 pm tomorrow! #OpeningDayPostponed
8:45 AM · Apr 2, 2018

Then, again, some are cautious, and avoided the sliding bus question. No school, due to the not so wonderful wishy-washy half frozen conditions.


More than 10 days from the start of spring, snow is once again falling in Connecticut, coating the ground and prompting some school officials to delay or cancel classes.

The good news is that it won’t last long.

http://www.courant.com/weather/hc-weather-monday-forecast-20180401-story.html


Winter to spring: Drop dead

April 2, 2018

National Weather Service meteorologist David Stark blamed a string of back-to-back cold fronts from Canada for the lingering wintry feel.

“It’s not unusual to see snow in early April,” Stark said. “You’re not going to see it every April, but it’s not unprecedented."


http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/snow-taunting-nyc-morning-commute-article-1.3909852

Yes, it is fucking snowing out. Yes, it is cold outside. Yes, I am grateful that there will be no blizzard.

Is this a polar vortex ?
 
I was in Boston in 1968 for a few days and then again in 1988 for a couple of days. Has it changed? How long should I wait for my next visit?
 
Running, while there are frequent lightning strikes, wind, pouring rain ? Tie down the porta potties, and watch out for stray banners.

Let’s break it down hour-by-hour on Monday, whether you are running, spectating or perhaps headed to Fenway Park.

MARATHON MONDAY FORECAST

7 a.m. Monday
Hopkinton: 39 degrees, cloudy and drizzly. Wind ENE 5-10 mph.
Boston: 42 degrees, cloudy and drizzly. Wind ESE 10-20 mph.

9 a.m. Monday
Hopkinton: 44 degrees, clouds and drizzle. Wind SE 10-15 mph.
Boston: 44 degrees, clouds and drizzle. Wind SE 10-20 mph.

11 a.m. Monday
Hopkinton: 48 degrees, cloudy with light rain showers. Wind SE 10-20 mph.
Boston/Fenway: 46 degrees, cloudy with light rain showers. Wind SE 12-25 mph.

1 p.m. Monday
Hopkinton: 55 degrees, scattered showers. Wind SE 12-25 mph.
Boston: 49 degrees, scattered showers. Wind SE 15-30 mph.

3 p.m. Monday
Hopkinton: 57 degrees, heavier showers. Wind SSE 15-25 mph.
Boston: 51 degrees, heavier showers. Wind 15-30 mph.

5 p.m. Monday
Hopkinton: 58 degrees, downpours. Wind SSE 15-25 mph.
Boston: 52 degrees, downpours. Wind 15-30 mph.
 
Charlie Austin, a celebrated journalist who worked at WBZ for more than 30 years, died early Tuesday morning at the age of 73, according to CBS Boston.

Austin was one of the first African-Americans on television in Boston, along with Sarah Ann Shaw and Walt Sanders, according to WBZ.

Former WBZ-TV anchor Liz Walker, who became the first African-American weeknight news anchor in Boston, told the station that Austin helped her find “meaning” in her life.

“Charlie was a trailblazer in this city,” she told WBZ. “Charlie paved the way for people like me. He was just an amazing journalist. He let his work speak for him and that was even more powerful to me.”

https://www.boston.com/news/media/2018/04/10/wbz-announces-death-reporter-charlie-austin
 
Winter Weather Advisory for Massachusetts

Wintry mix north of the border


April 15th and we start the forecast off with a winter weather advisory. Showers that do develop today will be light, but we’ll likely see some sleet pellets in the mix. Then this evening, some freezing rain is likely across the interiors while rain increases tonight across eastern Mass. A cold wind rules all day as temps get stuck in the 30s.

Yes, it is freezing.
 
My hands and feet are chilled. Yesterday, there was a very thin covering of snow, that did not last longer than it took to fall.

I still have memory of the stubborn old men struggling up Heartbreak Hill while fighting the slush. We have had years when the first aid tent was filled with hypothermia victims from the race.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ent-weather/ry05V5ciIBxpYvYrMAe27L/story.html


The Red Sox will not play today's game.

The game will be played on May 17 at 7:10 p.m. Fans who purchased tickets for Monday’s game will be able to use their tickets to gain admission for the rescheduled game.
 

Perfectly dreadful conditions for the marathon.

A U.S. woman won the women's race in a very slow 2:39:54. That's the first time a female Yank has won since 1985.

This year's men's race was won by Japan's Yuki Kawauchi, with a time of 2:15:58. He's Japan's first Boston Marathon winner since 1987.

 
Voice that kept a generation of Boston football fans alert-

Now, he is gone.


Gil Santos, known as the "voice of the Patriots," died Thursday night, at age 80.

He announced for the Patriots for 36 years.

In a statement, Patriots chairman and CEO Robert Kraft said he was "deeply saddened" by the loss.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/04/20/longtime-patriots-broadcaster-gil-santos-dies

Gil Santos, the Patriots play-by-play man for more than three decades, dies on his birthday

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/o...is-birthday/VHGAgr8UneTqW3oYqepUTI/story.html
 
Mt. Washington

6ft of snow added, and hovering around freezing

https://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org


Thanks to me mum, climbing Mt. Washington was a rite of passage.

When I was but a wee pup I was so light that, nearing the summit, I damn near got blown over. We were not happy to discover ice up there in mid-August.

I never have seen more than fifty feet from the top.

 
Somewhere, some are having weather

NWS Boston
@NWSBoston
·
16h
[Unseasonably Cool/Showery Today] High temps will only top out in the upper 40s to lower 50s along with scattered showers today. In fact, temps will briefly drop further down into the 40s during localized heavier showers which may contain graupel (snow balls for mice paws) and/or small hail.

10 degrees cooler, than is usual

I am just grateful there is not six inches of April ice, on my lawn. Frozen harbors are not kind to migrating birds.
 
Which Mass town is on the target board for severe weather, today and tonight ? "On the average, most will get regular thunderstorms." This week, some that were happy that they shopped for summer wear, early- Soggy , warm, and sweaty.



Demonstration, of what is possible- last year, May 17th, it was 90f.


From Weather Underground

This is normal, for the mountain west ? Our Mt. Washington does not care to be predictable. But, there are spring snow falls up there.

"Arizona State Forestry captured the following photos of fresh snowfall at a fire camp near the Tinder Fire on Wednesday morning."


"Snow Valley Mountain Resort in Southern California lived up to its name Wednesday as 4 to 5 inches of new snow fell at the ski area"

"Mountain West snow this week was at Loveland Ski Area in the Colorado Rockies, where 13 inches was measured after a Wednesday night snowfall."
 
The season surely must have begun.


M/SMount Washington is at it, again.

:heart:

M/SMount Washington now operates May through October
 
Spring Madness has arrived, and with it, mad weather. It has been a perfectly pleasant Spring day in Boston. For the towns in the West, the skies could go from day to night, at any moment. Yes, New England's Tornado Alley may get a visit from the high winds.

100mph is a bit much, for our miniaturized landscape. I am blaming the cell towers, disguised as giant trees. We tolerated the metal high transmission lines cluttering up the horizon. The lines are honest, in their industrial ugliness. The artificial trees are irritating Mother Nature.


Last year, the tiny hamlet of Concord, New Hampshire was visited by a EF1 tornado.


May 15, 2018 The tornado that crashed through several tiny villages in New Hampshire, was confirmed.

"The severe tornado whirled through seven New Hampshire towns earlier this month, spinning up to 100-mile-per-hour winds and pushing on for 35 miles — potentially the second-longest path in state history, the National Weather Service said."


"The twister started a little east of the Vermont border in Charlestown between 9:15 and 10 p.m. on May 4, before moving east/northeast through Langdon, Acworth, Lempster, Bradford, Warner, and Webster, said John Jensenius, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Maine."



https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-this-month/j3h0thfYx1R56IbaUaGvyM/story.html
 
Back
Top