Stamps and coins

LincolnDuncan

Thread hijacker
Joined
Feb 9, 2015
Posts
6,648
Going through some old things I found a deceased relatives ragged collection of coins and stamps. Other than picking up books, does anyone have a suggestion for me to learn their value?
 
Coinquest.com is a good starting point. Going to your local pawn shop or coin shop will give you a better idea of how much you'd actually get for them.
 
If you know a little about grading of stamps and coins, ebay is also a kinda good place for value. The only issue with ebay is you would have to list them and sell them yourself. It takes time. If you want to get rid of them all at one time, do as already suggested. Keep in mind, the offer will be lower than going prices. Some people just want to get rid of the whole lot, nothing wrong with that.

Good luck, it's a tough thing to do, I've done it.
 
I'm assuming that none of these have been professionally graded in which case I would avoid pawn shops because the dishonest ones willl underprice and the honest ones will simply tell you that you need to go to someone qualified to grade them.

This applies mostly to items that look to be in fairly nice condition. If we're talking about old coins that look like everyday pocket change with nicks and lots of wear, your uneducated guess on grade (read some coin guide descriptions) is probably close enough.

Depending on what the coin is it may very well have some high numismatic value even in poor condition but that would only apply to fairly rare coins. Circulated coins that are very common are worth not much over spot bullion. it's really amazing the huge difference in price between a heavily circulated coin and one in top grades. Paying for profesdional grading can easilly be worth the increase netted, but only for pretty ones.

I'm not too sure how much got melted down the last time the price of silver was high because a few years ago I tried to buy bulk junk silver coin and couldn't find any.

Condition of stamps would take a qualified appraiser. I don't think you are I would be able to tell much about what a particular stamp should or shouldn't look like. Coins are easier a minty fresh coin looks minty fresh.

In your situation some of my perceived value would come from the fact that they were valued by the relative. that intelligible value is worth something. If you can afford to simply hold onto them what a cool thing those might be to pass on later with a note about how they had come from Uncle Jasper's collection.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top