When is the next official contest? Is this a good time for a proper FAWCing?

That's one, then. ;)

I've just been looking through various websites about sexually-oriented songs (without being blatant about it). Most of them are classics, or close to it (from Madonna, George Michael, Exile, Marvin Gaye, Rod Stewart, etc.).

Anything by KISS works since most of them are about sex. The only one I can think of that we couldn't use is "Domino"

That line "She's not old enough to vote." eliminates that one.

Jake Rivers did that with his group. They wrote their story based on the song he chose. I participated several times, beginning with El Paso, which was back in 2007.

And I've been thinking about that premise off and on since. ;)

Tastes in music are so different that I'd prefer the authors were completely unfettered in their choice. I'll see what crops up.

That's one of the obvious obstacles for a challenge like this, which was why I originally suggested having a group of songs to choose from. But if I ask everyone for a song, that would be the same as just telling everyone to pick what they want.

But another thought occurred to me. Unless I am mistaken, writers can use up to 25% of a song's lyrics, correct? If that is the case, then part of the challenge would be to work in roughly 25% of a song's lyrics into the story. Not simply list a portion of the lyrics, but actually use them as part of the discussion and dialogue. It would be a fun exercise in reading the finished product with an eye for finding those lyrics.

Anything by KISS works since most of them are about sex. The only one I can think of that we couldn't use is "Domino"

That line "She's not old enough to vote." eliminates that one.

Yeah, there are quite a few songs that wouldn't fit the bill. Winger's "She's Only Seventeen," the Big Bopper's "Chantilly Lace" . . . there's an impressive list of them.

That's one of the obvious obstacles for a challenge like this, which was why I originally suggested having a group of songs to choose from. But if I ask everyone for a song, that would be the same as just telling everyone to pick what they want.

I'd be willing to try to another song even if I didn't care for the genre, mostly because to me, it's the lyrics that would matter more.

But another thought occurred to me. Unless I am mistaken, writers can use up to 25% of a song's lyrics, correct? If that is the case, then part of the challenge would be to work in roughly 25% of a song's lyrics into the story. Not simply list a portion of the lyrics, but actually use them as part of the discussion and dialogue. It would be a fun exercise in reading the finished product with an eye for finding those lyrics.

sr71 probably knows better, but I don't think this is true. However, I also think that for a site like this, it probably doesn't really matter. And actually in my stories inspired by songs (Facing the Past, Who Cares What I Wear, Lessons Learned), I have never just listed the lyrics. I draw the story from the lyrics and then the fun part is to try to work the lyrics into the text of the story.

I seriously doubt that I would ever have heard of any songs on any song list that you and most others here would establish. There's just too much of an age and experience spread here. I haven't lived much time in the States, myself, or in listening to pop music. I know show tunes and classical music, which isn't the norm here. I'd have little interest in writing to what most of the rest of you jam to. I look at the song listings on the "what are you listening to" thread and just scratch my head.

And, everyone picking what they want--a song that has meaning for them and that they will enjoy pulling a story out of is exactly what I'd favor. But I don't expect any of the contests to be set up on my druthers. That said, I didn't think when I suggested song tunes that the author would be locked out of picking his/her own--that's a key part of the creative process.

But another thought occurred to me. Unless I am mistaken, writers can use up to 25% of a song's lyrics, correct?

No, that's not true. The law hasn't specified how much you can use, but song writers are the most litigious. You can't get away with more than a line or two of a song--total--without putting yourself in some jeopardy.

I think the stories would have to be a take-off on some aspect of the song--with a URL to the song itself. I don't think it will fly to include a sizable chunk of the lyrics themselves in the story. 25 percent certainly isn't supportable by any discussion of song copyright that I've seen.

I seriously doubt that I would ever have heard of any songs on any song list that you and most others here would establish. There's just too much of an age and experience spread here. I haven't lived much time in the States, myself, or in listening to pop music. I know show tunes and classical music, which isn't the norm here. I'd have little interest in writing to what most of the rest of you jam to. I look at the song listings on the "what are you listening to" thread and just scratch my head.

And, everyone picking what they want--a song that has meaning for them and that they will enjoy pulling a story out of is exactly what I'd favor. But I don't expect any of the contests to be set up on my druthers. That said, I didn't think when I suggested song tunes that the author would be locked out of picking his/her own--that's a key part of the creative process.

No, that's not true. The law hasn't specified how much you can use, but song writers are the most litigious. You can't get away with more than a line or two of a song--total--without putting yourself in some jeopardy.

I think the stories would have to be a take-off on some aspect of the song--with a URL to the song itself. I don't think it will fly to include a sizable chunk of the lyrics themselves in the story. 25 percent certainly isn't supportable by any discussion of song copyright that I've seen.

I don't know anything about music, really. I have an old boom box that sounds so bad I rarely turn it on anymore. Because I have multiple screens opened at the same time on the computer, I don't have the volume on, so I don't listen to music on it either.

But I'm open to using lyrics for the next FAWC anyway.

I listen to just about everything. Been Youtube surfing for most of the night just listening to music.

Tina Guo on cello - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISRgXzTGAmE

Hugh Laurie blue piano- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-qv87vXQzo

Leaves' Eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPs7rFNGP4

VnV Nation - Beloved- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfc3zcnrWMQ

So anything works for me, or I can make it work.

http://www.literotica.com/s/one-night-in-bangkok-6

I am a child of the 80s Rock Ballads though.

Last edited:
I listen to just about everything. Been Youtube surfing for most of the night just listening to music.

Tina Guo on cello - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISRgXzTGAmE

Hugh Laurie blue piano- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-qv87vXQzo

Leaves' Eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPs7rFNGP4

VnV Nation - Beloved- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfc3zcnrWMQ

So anything works for me, or I can make it work.

http://www.literotica.com/s/one-night-in-bangkok-6

I am a child of the 80s Rock Ballads though.

I, on the other hand, have heard of none of those before. :D

After doing some research, I have to agree. There's a grey area for using song lyrics, but it seems that the "better safe than sorry" rule wins out here. So no using the lyrics.

Depends on the timing for me. I'm swamped.

It wouldn't be until April 20th at the earliest, since that's the day the Earth Day contest ends. ;)

You could certainly use snatches of them. A three-word phrase here and there that evokes the song.

Hi Slyc and everyone else :)

There is a chain story thread called Lustful Lyrics That has ten chapters in it so far. The songs people choose to write about there aren't necessarily sex based and it might give some insight into how others have approached writing to a song lyric.

I'm in if you do it, btw.;)

What I did when I wrote both versions of "Home by the Sea" was evoke all the lyrics, without using the pure lyrics much at all. There are only a few places where I use the same wording as the lyrics, and it's brief snippets.

Creeping up the blind side, shinning up the wall
Stealing thru the dark of night

( Dark fantasy world version: )

No word or signal passed between them, but they rose to a crouch simultaneously to creep amidst the swirling fog toward their objective. They moved directly toward the corner of the manor, knowing that the blind spot created by a lack of windows with a direct view of their approach would help mask their movement toward the structure, should anyone glance outside.

Once again, they crouched in silence upon reaching the stone wall of the building, waiting for sounds of alarm or movement.

The leaner of the two knelt to remove a pair of dark boots, before climbing the wall. The stones were closely fit, and well mortared, but it proved to be little obstacle to the climber.

( Les "real world" version: )

Morgan left his place of concealment, creeping up on the blind side of the wall surrounding the mansion. The gentle slope behind the wall served to conceal everything on the seaward side. A quick peek through the gate revealed darkened windows and no sign of life, as usual.

With no alarm and no dogs, he expected this would be easy. The house was huge, and he'd observed only one resident who never appeared to leave. A lone woman wasn't much of a threat, even if she did discover him in the house when he wasn't ready.

The light posts on either side of the gate provided a ridiculously easy means of gaining the top of the wall. With strength and practiced skill, Morgan shinnied up the pole, grasping the top of the wall and carefully eyeing the house one final time.

Yeah, it'd be interesting to try evoking a song without using the lyrics or even naming it. I've heard several musicians do that; Type O Neg's "Love You To Death" has a line about "your hips move, and I can hear what they're saying" (for the Pink Floyd fans) and Tom Waits' "Satisfied" is done as a reply to the Stones' "Satisfaction".

Might not work so well as a contest, because of that same recognition issue, but it'd be fun as a self-challenge.

I like the music theme idea. I'm going to suggest that it's open for any kind of musical reference - from the story being set during a musical, between musicians, about a song, whatever so long as there's a strong music reference.

As for setting up an established song - not all good tunes have lyrics. I happen to enjoy quite a bit of classical music.

You could certainly use snatches of them. A three-word phrase here and there that evokes the song.

My original thought was something like this. Sort of "peppering in" parts of the lyrics here and there in a way that made sense in the context of the story.

Hi Slyc and everyone else :)

There is a chain story thread called Lustful Lyrics That has ten chapters in it so far. The songs people choose to write about there aren't necessarily sex based and it might give some insight into how others have approached writing to a song lyric.

I'm in if you do it, btw.;)

Whether or not a song is sex-based, I think, is less important than the challenge of writing an erotic song based on a single song's lyrics or feeling.

What I did when I wrote both versions of "Home by the Sea" was evoke all the lyrics, without using the pure lyrics much at all. There are only a few places where I use the same wording as the lyrics, and it's brief snippets.

When I wrote "Auld Langsyne," I used the situation proposed in the song, as well as making brief allusions to the lyrics themselves. I haven't had anyone threaten me with copyright issues on it, but then, Fogelberg isn't around to be insulted by what I wrote. ;)

Yeah, it'd be interesting to try evoking a song without using the lyrics or even naming it. I've heard several musicians do that; Type O Neg's "Love You To Death" has a line about "your hips move, and I can hear what they're saying" (for the Pink Floyd fans) and Tom Waits' "Satisfied" is done as a reply to the Stones' "Satisfaction".

Might not work so well as a contest, because of that same recognition issue, but it'd be fun as a self-challenge.

I think that the central part of the challenge would be to mention a specific song and wrap the story around it.

I like the music theme idea. I'm going to suggest that it's open for any kind of musical reference - from the story being set during a musical, between musicians, about a song, whatever so long as there's a strong music reference.

As for setting up an established song - not all good tunes have lyrics. I happen to enjoy quite a bit of classical music.

That's very true, but in order to have a sense of cohesion for the challenge, I would think picking a song based on the lyrics would be the main part of the challenge.

The interesting part of writing with the Jake Rivers group was seeing how so many people came up with such different interpretations of the same song. He chose the song but left the category to the author. In other challenges, the group could pick any song by whichever artist Jake chose.

That's very true, but in order to have a sense of cohesion for the challenge, I would think picking a song based on the lyrics would be the main part of the challenge.

The one that has come to my mind is one from an opera--putting a sexual preference spin on the emotions evoked by the music itself. Another angle of interpretation on the lyrics, but I don't see the need to mention lyrics at all--it's the scenario and where the music itself goes that provides the base for the story (although the existing lyrics do go with the new, different angle look at the song). Since the concept has my muse stirring, I'll probably write it anyway and just post it as a parallel story if, when the parameters of the contest come out, they don't motivate me to put anything in for the exercise--which I think should steam along on whatever is decided.

The interesting part of writing with the Jake Rivers group was seeing how so many people came up with such different interpretations of the same song. He chose the song but left the category to the author. In other challenges, the group could pick any song by whichever artist Jake chose.

While there is still plenty of time to hash this out, I'm leaning toward a small selection of songs from which the writers would pick. There's no real, practical way to pick a group of songs that would be familiar to everyone, but that's not to say they can't still be inspiring. That's part of the challenge, after all, isn't it?

I'll probably stick to songs which, for most Northern Americans (the majority of Lit's readership), would be fairly familiar, and probably have some sort of sexual overtones attributed to them.

But by no means is anything I have posted being set in stone. I'd love to hear suggestions.

Here's the latest from Jacqui and a.i.r.... If you have any questions she'll be back at work tomorrow...

[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

2014 Sexy April Contest

tumblr_n0zjo0lcHK1qdxglyo1_500.jpg

april showers bring may flowers…

You can begin submitting your stories starting March 27th
The winners will be announced on or around April 21st

You can discuss this special contest on this thread or on the literotica one.

RULES (for the A.I.R. APRIL contest):

- All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately.

- Nor will stories featuring characters, locales, plot lines, etc., that have been previously used by the author be accepted.

- Prizes will be awarded in the following categories (a story can only win one prize in each contest):

1) Best Overall Story
2) Most Views
3) Most Comments
4) Most Votes
5) Highest Score

- A story has to accrue a minimum of 250 votes to be eligible (higher in some categories). The vote, comment, view, favorite, and score numbers that are reported by LITEROTICA will be used subject to final verification by the A.I.R. Computer Center.

- Story must have an April Theme.

- It must be erotic in content.

- Non-Humans are not erotic and NH category stories will not be accepted. Nor will Sci Fi ones be accepted.

- No character may be named Pauletta.

- Don’t just submit some rehashed story you’ve been working on for years. We want something fresh. Be creative!

- A.I.R. reserves the right to disqualify without notice or explanation any story in which any kind of cheating or vote-tampering is suspected.

- Every story that meets the above criteria and is submitted to LITEROTICA during the contest period will be automatically entered into the A.I.R. contest. No special submission form must be filled out. We believe in inclusivity!

- If you have any questions regarding any of the above or anything pertaining to our contests, feel free to contact me by PM or email, or post any questions you have on this thread.

Good Luck!!!

While there is still plenty of time to hash this out, I'm leaning toward a small selection of songs from which the writers would pick. There's no real, practical way to pick a group of songs that would be familiar to everyone, but that's not to say they can't still be inspiring. That's part of the challenge, after all, isn't it?

I'll probably stick to songs which, for most Northern Americans (the majority of Lit's readership), would be fairly familiar, and probably have some sort of sexual overtones attributed to them.

But by no means is anything I have posted being set in stone. I'd love to hear suggestions.

As one of the antipodean minority, I am fine with songs popular in Northern America we get most of that here anyway and if its something we didn't get all of them, I am well versed in how to use youtube :)

But I will put in the idea INXS or AC/DC are global bands :D

As one of the antipodean minority, I am fine with songs popular in Northern America we get most of that here anyway and if its something we didn't get all of them, I am well versed in how to use youtube :)

If you're taking song suggestions, I believe J. Geils Band's classic: Angel in the Centerfold would be a natural. Just one more opinion of dubious value.

Pretty much the entirety of Alice Cooper's "Trash" would provide fodder.

I keep floating around ideas from that, but have never gotten around to actually writing any of them.

David Goodis wrote a marvelous hard crime novel based on a musical theme. A popular crooner was fooling around with a mobsters girl, and the mobster put an end to the romance and singing.

He also wrote a story about a hitman ordered to murder a singer he was seeing.

INXS was always a personal favorite. "Need You Tonight" could lend itself to a story. ;)

If you're taking song suggestions, I believe J. Geils Band's classic: Angel in the Centerfold would be a natural. Just one more opinion of dubious value.

Funny. That song always reminds me of an old high school flame whom, either fortunately or unfortunately, never appeared as a centerfold to my knowledge.

Pretty much the entirety of Alice Cooper's "Trash" would provide fodder.

I keep floating around ideas from that, but have never gotten around to actually writing any of them.

Alice Cooper is never a bad choice for something like this. "Feed My Frankenstein" has all sorts of interesting imagery.

Still kind of new here so I don't know what a FAWCing is, but I recently wrote a submission for Mature (Love in the Twilight) that used a song for it's theme - Dream a Little Dream of Me by Mama Cass - so I'm up for the challenge.

Back