The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2018 Support Thread

It was introduced a couple of months ago in response to spam attacks through story comments. It's most likely a text-bot looking for links and so on, but not a human being. Seems to be working, comment spam has disappeared. Trolls remain, however.

It takes about fifteen minutes to loop through the process. It doesn't affect the author's ability to delete or keep comments. It also doesn't over-ride Laurel's ability to purge any comment she chooses.

CandiCame - as a story's author it's up to you to delete or keep comments, using whatever criteria you choose. There are some folk who keep every comment as a matter of principle, there are others who tidy up the garbage. There are others still who block all anon comments, there are those who block all comments. It's completely up to you, how you manage comments.

Thanks Blue. Guess that shows how long it's been since I've let a comment on a story. BTW, great description about how to manage (or not manage) comments. :)

I'm impressed.

I've been off-line on holiday this week. I arrived back home this evening. The list of contest entries has grown considerably since I last looked at it.

My other possible entries won't happen for this year's contest. I turned my laptop on for five minutes while away, didn't find what I was looking for (and didn't have an available signal) and turned it off again.

A break from being online, and from writing, was good but I have aches in muscles I didn't know I still had. We walked further each day than either of us had done on any previous day this year.

Congratulations to all those who have managed to produce entries.

But... the water’s still warm....

Nah. I kid. I’m already a thousand words in.

I’m thinking quick strike, a surgical story. Concise, clever, maybe even funny. Back in the saddle, baby!

Twenty hours now, and I’m at 7,138 words just about in line with last nights shower epiphany. It’s all over now but the orgasms.

I love this. It feels like guerilla story-writing. I’m thinking it’ll wind up at 28 hours or so, from inception to submission. That’s if I get it in by midnight, which should happen.

Then we’ll see if it’s any good.

ETA: Submitted. 26 hours. God, what a lark!

Last edited:
Sigh! True friends, writing romantic incest stories side by side. It's too sweet for words :rose::rose::heart::heart::rose::rose:

Hey, if the Beetles could spank their ‘monkees’ side by side, I’ll happily type away at in-parallel incest with the talented Chloester. :kiss:

I wonder if any of you good people can help me find an editor or would like to work on a piece with me? It's a noncon about a girl who has a harsh coming of age. The piece is about ~10k. It's the continuation of a piece I started here:

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-education-of-gloria-dean-ch-01

I like how it's turning out, but I'd love to get another writer's opinion because it's got some tricky POV stuff that I want to nail down. Thanks!

Oh, ^^ that's not Halloween related, but I mostly interact with this site through the contests, so I came to this thread. I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but if I am, please let me know and I'll figure something else out.

Okay, I gotta see how that came out.

And me.

I'm enjoying my comments. Divided between intense arousal and annoyance coz I use coz so much. I'm not sure that mixing Daddy and Daughter incest in with raceplay was the greatest in terms of votes and scoring but it was seriously fun to write.

And me.

I'm enjoying my comments. Divided between intense arousal and annoyance coz I use coz so much. I'm not sure that mixing Daddy and Daughter incest in with raceplay was the greatest in terms of votes and scoring but it was seriously fun to write.

Its an interesting spin...hence the mixed reviews. As has been discussed many times people seem to want the same tropes over and over again, tossing something different in is like a speed bump and they're not sure how to react.

BTW I use 'cuz' along with a lot of 'gotta'

And me.

I’m only 3 pages into yours, Chloe, but I really enjoy and admire the spoken-language voice of the narrator. Coz she has an immediate, distinct personality.

Speaking of comments, here are two recent ones on mine:

Honestly...
by Anonymous user on 12 hours ago
3*
Re: Honestly....
by Anonymous user on 9 hours ago
Which contestant are you?

My answer to the 2nd one: a contestant or fan who doesn’t realize that I’m not eligible to place in this contest. ;)

I’m only 3 pages into yours, Chloe, but I really enjoy and admire the spoken-language voice of the narrator. Coz she has an immediate, distinct personality.

Speaking of comments, here are two recent ones on mine:

Honestly...
by Anonymous user on 12 hours ago
3*
Re: Honestly....
by Anonymous user on 9 hours ago
Which contestant are you?

My answer to the 2nd one: a contestant or fan who doesn’t realize that I’m not eligible to place in this contest. ;)

That's why I stopped commenting on contest stories years ago. I could go anonymous I guess, but I hate doing it. I'll usually send a private feedback to let the author know what I think.

Okay, I gotta see how that came out.

Still not up, so probably not until Monday now.

Ah, well. Like Chloe says, it was fun to write. So who cares about the rest? I’m just happy to be producing again.

Is there a way to tell how well you're doing in the contest or is it a surprise? I don't think I'll win or place or anything, but I'd like to know where I rank if that's possible.

Is there a way to tell how well you're doing in the contest or is it a surprise? I don't think I'll win or place or anything, but I'd like to know where I rank if that's possible.

Maybe there's another way - but the only way I can to do it would be to check each author's page, compare and contrast.

Bear in mind, it ain't over until the sweeps are over. Best to measure success in terms of eyeballs earned, comments received, and maybe favorites earned, too.

Once the contest is done, you can trawl through all the entries and compare your score and stats to everyone else's, but there's no running list published, no. Deliberately not, as contests get both gamed and trolled. Not so much as in years gone by, but the sweeps you might have heard of are an attempt by the site to keep the voting clean.

Typically, there will several sweeps over the contest period, so if you see your views and score suddenly move around, that's what's going on.

Typically, there will several sweeps over the contest period, so if you see your views and score suddenly move around, that's what's going on.

Do views disappear on sweeps? I’ve never paid much attention to that, but can’t remember ever seeing the number of views drop.
Votes disappear, sometimes many, and scores definitely bounce around with sweeps.
Perhaps you meant to type ‘votes’ rather than ‘views,’ Blue?
Or perhaps I just never noticed the view numbers changing.

Do views disappear on sweeps? I’ve never paid much attention to that, but can’t remember ever seeing the number of views drop.
Votes disappear, sometimes many, and scores definitely bounce around with sweeps.

Views don't change. Views are not connected to scores. Votes will go down when sweeps eliminate questionable votes. What's strange to me is that this process can happen long, long after the publication of the story, even a year or more after. It puzzles me how there can be anything left to sweep after a year.

You're quite correct - my mistake. Views don't drop, but the number of votes might drop, and your score increase some.

Views don't change. Views are not connected to scores. Votes will go down when sweeps eliminate questionable votes. What's strange to me is that this process can happen long, long after the publication of the story, even a year or more after. It puzzles me how there can be anything left to sweep after a year.
Clowns can attack a writer's story file at any time, regardless of the age of the stories.

A muppet attacked my latest submission twice, deliberately bumping each chapter to just under Red H before getting bored and moving on. It was also clear that my top-ranked stories were also one-bombed as part of the same campaign - numbers that had been in place for over a year, suddenly changing? Yeah, right. I'm waiting for the Halloween contest sweeps to clean it all up.

Clowns can attack a writer's story file at any time, regardless of the age of the stories.

A muppet attacked my latest submission twice, deliberately bumping each chapter to just under Red H before getting bored and moving on. It was also clear that my top-ranked stories were also one-bombed as part of the same campaign - numbers that had been in place for over a year, suddenly changing? Yeah, right. I'm waiting for the Halloween contest sweeps to clean it all up.

I wonder if adjusted secret algorithms used for the sweeping may also locate votes on the backlist that weren’t ID’ed as sweep-worthy previously.

I wonder if adjusted secret algorithms used for the sweeping may also locate votes on the backlist that weren’t ID’ed as sweep-worthy previously.
My take is that the sweep algorithm runs through the whole story file (or certainly the last few years of content). I've got sixty or so stories on Lit over four years, but have only ever entered two contests and one anthology in that time; yet my stats have definitely moved around when contest sweeps are run - some stories more than others depending on who has wandered through on their troll trolley. I assume that any updated sweep criteria will automatically apply to older content.

Back