Brexit

A second vote ends democracy as we know it . The mp’s who did all the scare mongering ( on both sides) should resign because of their mis- information has lead to this farcical situation.

You can vote a hundred times to stay in, and only one time to get out?

I think they should postpone the Brexit until all effects have become clear :D

The EU has a record of asking for votes to be re-run until the 'correct' result is achieved.

The original mistake was David Cameron promising a referendum if he didn't get significant concessions from the EU.

The second mistake was allowing the referendum to be a simple majority vote. It should have had a significant margin to change the UK so drastically.

The third mistake was Teresa May calling a General Election and including items in the manifesto that annoyed/worried/angered many of core Conservative voters.

A second vote ends democracy as we know it . The mp’s who did all the scare mongering ( on both sides) should resign because of their mis- information has lead to this farcical situation.

Would you like to tell us how asking people to vote is denying democracy?

We were told that the referendum was final and that the result would be implemented.

If it isn't?

The UK's democratic processes have failed. What is the point of voting for anything or anyone?

Speaking as an Irishman it's a bit like watching your neighbors playing with petrol and matches while drunk. You know it won't end well but you can't stop them. And theres a good chance they will burn our house too!!

Speaking as an Irishman it's a bit like watching your neighbors playing with petrol and matches while drunk. You know it won't end well but you can't stop them. And theres a good chance they will burn our house too!!
As a brit with a cottage in Ireland, I get really frustrated. I can't see there being a viable solution. Brexit will cause inflationary recession in UK. Remain and we are even greater laughing stock with no credibility.

Your President has been throwing petrol on the fire.

As a brit with a cottage in Ireland, I get really frustrated. I can't see there being a viable solution. Brexit will cause inflationary recession in UK. Remain and we are even greater laughing stock with no credibility.

Save face or save your economy?
That's a fairly straightforward choice.
You have made a huge mistake
Accept it correct the mistake and move on

Anything said by anyone in UK or Eire seems to be inflammatory regardless of actual content or intent

It’s has been voted on and it’s was a leave decision, that’s the end of the process . Implement what has been voted on . The people have been asked and the people have spoken it’s that simple.

We were told that the referendum was final and that the result would be implemented.

If it isn't?

The UK's democratic processes have failed. What is the point of voting for anything or anyone?

But how is asking people to vote bad for democracy? Even |Microsoft asks "are you sure"

It’s has been voted on and it’s was a leave decision, that’s the end of the process . Implement what has been voted on . The people have been asked and the people have spoken it’s that simple.

You haven't answered the question. How does asking people to vote destroy democracy?

But how is asking people to vote bad for democracy? Even |Microsoft asks "are you sure"

It is bad because we were told it was a once in a lifetime vote and that the government would abide by the result.

If those statements are revisited, then voting on anything is pointless because the electorate's decision is ignored. That is the attitude of a dictatorship (or the EU) - we don't care WHAT you decide, we'll do what we want.

Whether it should have been a once in a lifetime vote, or whether there should have been different criteria such as 60% of the vote necessary to change the status quo, or whether there should have been a referendum at all? Those questions are irrelevant now.

You haven't answered the question. How does asking people to vote destroy democracy?

Because voting again is denying the democratic right of the people . The people have spoken the democratic process has to up held and the decision is to leave so therefore we have to leave.

Because voting again is denying the democratic right of the people . The people have spoken the democratic process has to up held and the decision is to leave so therefore we have to leave.

No it isn't. the more people vote the more democratic it is. If you are talking about Parliamentary democracy, you would be right but then the original referendum broke that. Perhaps since it endangers our democratic system we should declare that null and void.

In 1975 we voted 66/34 in favour of staying in the EU. The people had spoken the democratic process has to be held up so the second referendum in 2018 should be ignored, unless of course you believe in having referendum after referendum until you get the result you want.

It is bad because we were told it was a once in a lifetime vote and that the government would abide by the result.

If those statements are revisited, then voting on anything is pointless because the electorate's decision is ignored. That is the attitude of a dictatorship (or the EU) - we don't care WHAT you decide, we'll do what we want.

Whether it should have been a once in a lifetime vote, or whether there should have been different criteria such as 60% of the vote necessary to change the status quo, or whether there should have been a referendum at all? Those questions are irrelevant now.

No one said it was a once in a lifetime vote. That happened in 1975 and I'm not dead yet so that result is the one that should stand unless we should only stop voting when you get the result you want.

No one said it was a once in a lifetime vote. That happened in 1975 and I'm not dead yet so that result is the one that should stand unless we should only stop voting when you get the result you want.

What we voted to stay in during 1975 is nothing like what the EU has become. They are completely different organisations with ambitions and goals that were not known in 1975.

https://fullfact.org/europe/ask-full-fact-eu-then-and-now/

If we were to have another referendum on Brexit, two years after the previous one, that would be a betrayal of democracy.

What we voted to stay in during 1975 is nothing like what the EU has become. They are completely different organisations with ambitions and goals that were not known in 1975.

https://fullfact.org/europe/ask-full-fact-eu-then-and-now/

If we were to have another referendum on Brexit, two years after the previous one, that would be a betrayal of democracy.

Asking people to vote can never be a betrayal of democracy the more you ask the people for their opinion the more democratic you become. What you are worried about is that the people may have changed their mind now they know more about the consequences of their vote.

It was clear to anyone who had any idea about politics what direction we were headed in with the EU. When we joined in 1973 it was clear that it was to become a political entity. Why else would they have a parliament?

Me, I don't want another vote because it won't solve anything. If the decision were to be reversed the leavers wouldn't accept it and we'd be arguing forever. If the result is the same the remainers will not give up. Why should they, a sixty-six to thirty-four majority didn't stop the leavers campaigning?

If things go the way I expect in ten years time it will be difficult to find someone who will admit to having voted to leave and the government of the day will be negotiating re-entry. It won't worry me I may not live that long. It is the younger people I worry about. One of my sons who was in what I think is a vulnerable industry has now changed jobs so that he is less vulnerable. He isn't the only one and a certain aeronautical company is now experiencing a severe skills shortage.

This is the thing I find truly shocking; that the majority of UK citizens don’t understand how British democracy works or, at least, is supposed to work!

The UK is governed by a Parliamentary democracy and NOT a direct populous democracy. In short Parliament is sovereign and not “the people.” So, there is no disruption of the democratic process, the referendum is advisory and NOT binding.

That said, politicians ought to feel obliged to implement the result anyway. The problem comes when they are now trying to carry out a policy that they feel is not in the national interest.

Woof!

Last edited:
The EU has a record of asking for votes to be re-run until the 'correct' result is achieved.

The original mistake was David Cameron promising a referendum if he didn't get significant concessions from the EU.

The second mistake was allowing the referendum to be a simple majority vote. It should have had a significant margin to change the UK so drastically.

The third mistake was Teresa May calling a General Election and including items in the manifesto that annoyed/worried/angered many of core Conservative voters.

Yep pretty much, I would only add: that a general election should have been held before article 50 was invoke, so that we could take the time to work out and discuss an exit strategy and return a government with a working majority to carry out this plan.

The majority left from the Cameron election had no mandate and the May election had no majority under either of those conditions article 50 should never have been invoked.

We’re in this mess due to staggeringly embarrassing incompetence.

Woof!

Back