Tumblr is banning adult content

Do you expect to set up an alternative medium for your work? Have you got something picked out?

This seems like a really dumb decision to me. I think Tumblr will suffer. Why will people want to use it?
At this point, no. I'm going to wait and see what actually happens, rather than knee jerk ahead of time - who knows what my dashboard will look like come Tuesday.

It might encourage me to lift my game and take drawing more seriously, go find somewhere to actually try to sell stuff. We'll see.
 
I guess this is really happening....

Checked several of my favorite erotic Tumblr sites just now, and most of them came back with this:
tumblr_pjw7fkVCFE1y1zpl2o1_400.png


A couple showed several (vanilla) images, but had this in several places:
tumblr_pjw7fwV54M1y1zpl2o1_250.png


:(
 
Just great, this is

Fucking not great.

Now that Tumblr has purged and suppressed "adult content", my dash is a dull and desolate place. For some reason, and I don't understand this at all, most of what I get now is Latina women with massive, and I mean massive, asses and thighs. I'm sure these are lovely girls but huge breasts, bubble butts and big asses just aren't my thing, and I'm wondering what that blogger blogged before his favourite kinks got recalibrated.

I guess I'll get used to sexy women wearing clothes and bikinis, because there's a bunch more of them now. I even spotted a female presenting nipple which snuck past the bots.

But all in all it feels like Year 8 in high school, when it was pretty hot to get a peak of Miss G's bra-strap when she was relief-teaching geography.

Phwoar.

Sigh.
 
Tumblr

is now like living in a Vogue editorial, dull as paint but well photographed.

Still, those who like buff men with bare chests will be like pigs in shit, because they're still there with their non female presenting nipples and rippling torsos. David Beckham can make a comeback.

It's no longer worth logging on. It made me realise how I much I liked my mix of fine art drawings and paintings interspersed with up-market and classy erotica, but having one without the other is like a sandwich with only one piece of bread. It's just a piece of bread, not worth buttering.
 
is now like living in a Vogue editorial, dull as paint but well photographed.

Still, those who like buff men with bare chests will be like pigs in shit, because they're still there with their non female presenting nipples and rippling torsos. David Beckham can make a comeback.

It's no longer worth logging on. It made me realise how I much I liked my mix of fine art drawings and paintings interspersed with up-market and classy erotica, but having one without the other is like a sandwich with only one piece of bread. It's just a piece of bread, not worth buttering.

This sums it up perfectly
 
It will just be a hosting site for lame gifs of cats doing cute things people upload to Facebook.
 
They removed my header at the top of my blog and my avatar because they were taken from some porn pics i drew, but one was so zoomed in all you could see was a face, and the header was blurred with writing over the top, but they magically vanished and set back to default, yet I've been spammed by porn blogs following me almost every day since the ban... They have no idea what they are doing.
 
Drawings on Tumblr

I appealed every tagged drawing and got 99% released from the ban, and also got the pixelated "you're a pornster" avatar returned to normal.

Now I'm trying to find out how many people are still there.

Here's a link to my Tumblr blog, if anyone wants to see some drawn erotica (some of it's okay):

https://onlydrawingsnothingmore.tumblr.com
 
I don't see any evidence at all that this is being driven by the porn industry and its desire to get money for its wares. That industry has no pull whatsoever with legislatures or with the owner of Tumblr, I imagine. The impetus for this comes from elsewhere.

It's too bad, because as EB points out there is a lot of erotica out there that has found a home on Tumblr, and now it has no home. There are ways of dealing with illegal content like child porn that don't involve banning all adult content from Tumblr, but people today seem amenable to drastic solutions.

Has nothing to do with the porn industry. One of the reasons behind it is Apple pulling their app from their shitty market. It's all god damned shit to me.
 
I appealed every tagged drawing and got 99% released from the ban, and also got the pixelated "you're a pornster" avatar returned to normal.

Now I'm trying to find out how many people are still there.

Here's a link to my Tumblr blog, if anyone wants to see some drawn erotica (some of it's okay):

https://onlydrawingsnothingmore.tumblr.com

What they're doing is making porn post private so only the user can see them. I heard that there was an organized mass log-out. I myself will probably do that as well. Sure there are other blogs that allow porn; Blogger, Wordpress... fuck, even Pintrest. It's the principle of the matter. What makes it popular(at least one reason) is the format and layout. I could dust off my blogger account, but I may just put some stuff on ********. Stuff I draw I post on Instagram and that's only because I can't be bothered to use my DeviantArt.
 
I appealed every tagged drawing and got 99% released from the ban, and also got the pixelated "you're a pornster" avatar returned to normal.

Now I'm trying to find out how many people are still there.

Here's a link to my Tumblr blog, if anyone wants to see some drawn erotica (some of it's okay):

https://onlydrawingsnothingmore.tumblr.com

What they're doing is making porn post private so only the user can see them. I heard that there was an organized mass log-out. I myself will probably do that as well. Sure there are other blogs that allow porn; Blogger, Wordpress... fuck, even Pintrest. It's the principle of the matter. What makes it popular(at least one reason) is the format and layout. I could dust off my blogger account, but I may just put some stuff on pafegamI. Stuff I draw I post on Instagram and that's only because I can't be bothered to use my DeviantArt.
 
It's interesting to watch the subversives creep nipples past the bot. My Tumblr dash is pretty dull now, but there are bloggers out there testing what the content spotter can see and what it can't.

It can spot full frontal nudity with bare breasts, can't quite spot a profile of a nipple, and is pretty much clueless when it comes to rear views of labia. Very brief bikinis and lingerie, ooh la la.

I reckon over time there'll be more original drawn and painted content, because that's still "allowed". It's the photographers and models who have had their work eviscerated, which is a shame.
 
How are hey defining porn? Are pics of topless women or naked men porn? Or is it just if there is sexual activity?

Twitter is starting to get ready to do the same thing. All porn, and especially what they refer to as smut peddlers I'E. Cam girls, escorts, women who use Patreon to sell their XXX pics and vids are no on search suggestion ban. They are even targeting authors who write erotic material This is in addition to the shadowbanning previously going on.

This is about politics. The evangelicals have their champion in Mike Pence and a GOP majority and the repeal of net neutrality makes this even easier. There is a you tube video where the CEO of Apple discusses how censorship is not a bad thing.

Then there is this video about the silicon valley big shots targeting adult material. At some point someone is going to point out to the hotshots in Apple behind the Tumblr decision that they carry adult material on apple I-books, and will then remove it, paving the way for Amazon to do the same. Barnes and Noble did a very large purge on erotica material in the Nook store last year as a new family values CEO took over. A sinking ship tossing away tens of thousands of dollars a month in sales to look like they have some type of morals.

Its open season on porn, period.

The rightwing has always hated porn, but what is inevitable is the leftwing eventually taking their faux feminist stance and decrying how porn exploits and objectifies women, they'll blame it for rape, sexual assault, young women being taught this is how you have sex, young men being taught this is what to expect.

All valid points to certain extents, but things that are up to parents to teach, but we live in an age where banning and outrage is much easier.

Porn maybe safe for awhile on flat out adult sites where the only reason you would be there is for that material, but any platform that is open to everything is soon going to get rid of it.

Could be good for a site like literotica
 
How are hey defining porn? Are pics of topless women or naked men porn? Or is it just if there is sexual activity?

...

Could be good for a site like literotica
Any photographic image presenting a woman's nipple is deemed "adult content" (men's nipples are allowed). Any representation of sexual activity (photographic or drawn) is banned. I, for example have a couple of drawn erections that are now suppressed - but two with a hand holding an erection didn't get tagged at all, which shows the bot can't parse what's around the zucchini.

It also can't spot a nipple in profile (which probably says more about the porn-centric programmers who crave big tits). Small breasted women have a better chance of a photo getting through, which is ironic, since they're meant to be detecting child porn first. As noted, men's nipples are allowed, so your cliched buff gay bloke, yep, Tumblr's got him.

Written porn? Yes, a last bastion, difficult to suppress. Hopefully. But, there are still typewriters and photocopiers, so all is not lost.

From outside America looking in, there's only one group of people to blame. Law makers get elected, it's that simple. Take more care ticking the box next time, is all the world can ask, so we don't have to put up with this shit too much longer. This is why Australia invented the drop bear. But, no politics, nothing to see here.
 
Can't even get in my own blog. I can only see my blog in the dashboard so I can't see my archive or upload anything new. As always Rot In Hell Tumblr.
 
Can't even get in my own blog. I can only see my blog in the dashboard so I can't see my archive or upload anything new. As always Rot In Hell Tumblr.
On your dashboard, try clicking on the little head icon (top right). You should then be able to see your private view of your blog and any sub-blogs, also your likes.
 
I doubt it. Where is the funding going to come from?

They put together a business plan and search for investors. :D This is a business and even small business get funded from somewhere. Crowdfunding :eek: or a bank loan :eek: to buy servers. What kind of money could a sex focused Tumblreque business bring in?

Or not ... if it's too hard. :(
 
What kind of money could a sex focused Tumblreque business bring in?
Not enough. I think that was part of the problem with Tumblr, they couldn't convert the huge user base to advertising income. The other part of the problem with Tumblr was not fixing the leak in the basement where the sewer was getting in, so they tore down the display galleries upstairs.

What people are doing now is re-blogging their older content to their own blogs. You can't access the blogs so they remain "banned", but the feeds to their followers continue on their dash-boards. So it's all recycled content, but with the size and age of the content, that's still a big churn. My feed is improving daily, as people find the little loopholes. And smut purveyors being what they are, you can see people testing what they can sneak past the bots, which might be quite a lot.

It's interesting to watch the whole thing morph and evolve.
 
Hope each blog owner who kept their blog up starts posting their material elsewhere. Would love to follow them on a site such as humblr.
 
Just personally I'm not too bothered about this crackdown on explicit material on non-porn-specific-platforms, like Tumblr, and Twitter etc, it doesn't really belong on there to be fair.

The adult content that was on Tumblr just went way too far IMHO.
 
Just personally I'm not too bothered about this crackdown on explicit material on non-porn-specific-platforms, like Tumblr, and Twitter etc, it doesn't really belong on there to be fair.

The adult content that was on Tumblr just went way too far IMHO.

Did the adult content go "too far" just because it was on Tumblr or do you think it went "too far" for any site?

When I went looking for adult image hosting I intentionally excluded Tumblr because I didn't like the fact that it was not a porn exclusive site. Something about adult content hosted on a site where people post travel, art, family pictures and non-explicit content just didn't sit right with me. I also kind of anticipated that something like this might happen.
 
Fyi

I have found that I can post adult content on my personal Tumblr page and it stays there. They do put a banner across the top of the image that says: "It looks like your post might be in violation of our Community Guidelines and is now hidden." And they give you an option to 'Appeal'. I have not attempted to appeal anything.

I see that the Tumblr Archive function for my account is blocked.

No one else can access my page of course, but as the account holder I can. I use it as a placeholder for images from my compute or from some places on the web, so I can later do a 'Copy image address' for re-posting on Literotica.
 
Tumblr

This whole debate captures my attention:
So Tumblr no longer allows Adult Sexual Content. What was the appeal of Tumblr as it was never considered a sex site.
I was once a LushStories member.. which very recently became all paysite only.. many of my friends were all Tumblr users..
Are there really no alternative sites to Tumblr ? It makes me wonder what sites Tumblr users may turn to next
( Still wish I could find my former friends on Lush.. would love to get a pvt msg on there . )
 
Back
Top