WTF, Hungary ?

gotsnowgotslush

skates like Eck
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Posts
25,720
Soros-affiliated university quits Hungary

Central European University is first major university to be pushed out of an EU country

The first case of a major university being pushed out of an EU country.


CEU had given the Hungarian government until 1 December to sign an agreement that would give it a legal basis to operate in Hungary. Despite international pressure and the intervention of the US ambassador, the government made it clear it would not sign.

The Hungarian parliament has enacted legislation known as the Stop Soros laws.


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ted-central-european-university-quits-hungary


George Soros-Founded University Is Forced Out of Hungary

“C.E.U. has been forced out,” said Michael Ignatieff, the president of the university. “This is unprecedented. A U.S. institution has been driven out of a country that is a NATO ally. A European institution has been ousted from a member state of the E.U.”

Thousands had marched in support of the institution, and for the past week hundreds of people have occupied Kossuth Square on the banks of the Danube, where the Parliament building is situated. Many held signs directed at Mr. Orban. “Even Voldemort didn’t kick Hogwarts out,” one placard read.


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/world/europe/soros-hungary-central-european-university.html


The university, which has dual accreditation in Hungary and the United States, has enjoyed robust, bipartisan backing in Congress, where members expressed concern about the threat to academic freedom and the precedent of a U.S. institution being kicked out by an American ally.

But last week, after it became clear that there would be no deal, Cornstein (U.S. Ambassador to Budapest David B. Cornstein) broke with previous U.S. policy on the matter. In the half-hour interview, he refused to criticize Orban - whom he described as his "friend" - and accused Soros of being insufficiently acquiescent to the government. (The university complied with requests.)

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/University-founded-by-George-Soros-says-it-has-13438864.php

Soros-founded university says it has been kicked out of Hungary as an autocrat tightens his grip

December 3, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aa698a2131a9
 
I don't really see why a country should take a foreign sponsored university if it doesn't want to. What does being a NATO member have to do with it? That's a military alliance, not an educational one. I don't feel your indignation on this.
 
Last edited:
Maybe, Amazon should move to Hungary ?

12 Dec 2018

One of the new laws raises the amount of overtime employers can demand their employees work and has been labelled a “slave law” by critics.

The human rights group the Hungarian Helsinki Committee said the legislation was “a serious threat to the rule of law in Hungary and runs counter to values Hungary signed up to when it joined the European Union."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...slave-law-prompting-fury-among-opposition-mps
 
Hungary complains Brexit will leave it outnumbered in EU

13 Dec 2018


Its foreign minister said the UK leaving was “worst possible scenario for us” because “our preference would have been for Britain to stay in and migrants to stay out”

In an interview with the Guardian in Manchester, where he was opening a new consulate general for the estimated 70,000 Hungarians now living in the north of England, Péter Szijjártó said without the UK, Hungary — “not part of the mainstream in Europe” — will be even more outnumbered than it already is. “With you leaving there will be an imbalance in the political debate about the future of Europe,” he said.

Szijjártó insisted it was not hypocritical for Hungary to operate such a harsh immigration policy while also offering political asylum to Nikola Gruevski, the former prime minister of Macedonia, who fled the country last month rather than report to jail to serve a two-and-a-half-year sentence for corruption.

Szijjártó categorically denied that the Hungarian foreign ministry or intelligence service helped him cross the border and insisted the Macedonian fugitive entered Hungary legally: “Gruevski travelled with proper documentation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...plains-brexit-will-leave-it-outnumbered-in-eu


22 Jun 2018

Hungary, along with increasingly authoritarian Poland, is making an utter mockery of the EU’s stated commitment to democracy and human rights.


https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/22/hungary-eu-values-refugees-viktor-orban

gsgs comment-

It is hardly a wonder, that Trump favors Hungary.

Hypocrisy is thriving there.
 
DEC 13, 2018, 11:28 AM

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban took another step closer to becoming Europe’s premier autocrat by passing a law that effectively nullifies the country’s independent judiciary.

Under the new legislation, which passed through the Hungarian Parliament on Wednesday, the country’s supreme court is now stripped of its ability to judge what are known as administrative disputes. In Hungary, this is a wide-ranging description encompassing everything from electoral law to corruption to police abuse to tax evasion.

Instead, a new system will be set up over the next 12 months overseen by Orban’s justice minister, who will control which judges get promoted to settle the administrative disputes. Hungary’s existing independent judiciary would be significantly weakened and have no oversight of the new system.

https://thinkprogress.org/viktor-orban-cements-authoritarian-grip-on-hungarys-courts-15218d4c1e97/
 
Last edited:
December 22, 2018

5,000 demonstrators took to the streets of the Hungarian capital Budapest late Friday

The current series of protests was sparked on December 12 when MPs passed a measure -- dubbed the "slave law" by opponents -- which hikes the amount of overtime that employers can demand from 250 to 400 hours per year.

Orban said in the interview that employees will be paid for overtime at the end of each month, but the text of the law allows employers to delay payment by up to three years.

https://www.france24.com/en/2018122...n-labour-slave-law-overtime-parliament-europe
 
Back
Top