Karma - closed to ThePhoenixMan

DarkestDesires

Experienced
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Posts
75
Maria groaned as the alarm clock blared loudly. She reached out blindly and pressed the off button and sank back against her pillow. Turning onto her side, she reached out for her husband Mike and was met with the cold sheet. Cursing, she climbed out of bed and pulled on her housecoat. She could tell by the smoothness of the sheet that her husband had not come to bed again last night. Slipping on her slippers she made her way down to the kitchen, looking into the living room to find Mike asleep on the couch, a light blanket thrown over his legs. She stood watching him for a minute, a sad look on her face, before moving to put on the coffee in the kitchen.

Maria had noticed lately that it had become more frequent that Mike did not come to bed than when he did. She had spent many nights alone in the big, empty bed upstairs while he slept down on the couch. She had always assumed that he had fallen asleep watching T.V., but, she swore she had heard the sound of the car leaving the driveway in the middle of the night. At the time she had thought it was the neighbour, now she was not so sure. Pouring a cup of coffee, she carried it to the living room and set it on the coffee table.

"Time to get up sleepy head," she said, shaking him softly before picking up his clothes off the floor. He rolled over and smiled at her before sitting up and picking up the coffee cup. "Thanks hun," he said sipping the coffee. "What time is it?"

Maria looked up at the clock and back at him. "You might want to rush babe, it is almost eight. Didn't you say you had a nine o'clock meeting today?" Mike jumped up off the couch with a curse and rushed out of the room. Maria shook her head as she headed to the laundry room, hearing the shower start up in the bathroom. A few minutes later, she heard the water stop and a minute later Mike appeared in the door of the laundry room, looking fresh and well dressed, as if he had been up for hours. She always joked with him that she hated him for his ability to get ready for work so fast.

"See you tonight," he said, kissing her on the cheek and rushing out of the room. Maria turned back to the laundry she was sorting as she heard the front door slam and his car back out of the driveway.

Reaching into the pockets of the pants he had been wearing the night before, she pulled out a bunch of papers and set them on the top of the dryer, not paying them any attention for the moment. Dropping his shirt on the floor, she bent over to pick it up, her eye catching a red stain on the collar. Her hands began to shake as she realized what it was, a fresh lipstick stain. Throwing the shirt into the washer, she picked up the papers from his pocket and began to read through them. It looked like it was going to end up just being a bunch of junk until she opened the last paper. It took her a minute to register that what she held in her hand was a hotel receipt for the night that had just passed.

Sinking against the wall, her hand shook as she felt the tears start to run down her face. Stumbling from the laundry room, she wiped the tears from her eyes and walked blindly to her bedroom. Picking up the phone beside the bed, she dialed a familiar number. She hadn't talked to her best friend since the day she had married Mike, having cut off all ties with her friends since they had never approved of her marrying Mike. Now he was the only person she could think of to turn to about this. She prayed that he hadn't changed his number and that he was home.
 
Jordan Tate was sitting at his desk, overlooking the city. Having catapulted his ad agency to the upper echelons of corporate America, Jordan enjoyed everything life had to offer. He had more money than he knew what to do with, a spectacular staff of devoted employees who loved their jobs as much as they loved him, and a view of the city, nearly anyone would die for. To top it all off, Jordan was recently named one of the city's most eligible bachelors. While he liked the publicity the local magazine had bestowed upon him, the notion of finding a suitable mate to settle down with, was one he was determinedly opposed to. Especially since he had seen how the sacred sanctium of matrimony had changed so many people; people that were ... used to be ... close friends of his!

Nevertheless, it was a workday, like any other, with deadlines to meet and appointments to schedule and deals to strike. He had just sent Michelle, his personal secretary, a lithe 20 year old striking beauty, out of his office giving her a list of chores that needed attended to before the day was out! He had just opened a file on an account they were getting ready to make a presentation to when he heard a ringing phone. Jordan knew the unique ringtone, for it was not any of his office phones. It was his cell phone, a phone that rarely, if ever, went off during business hours. His friends, along with his limited family knew better than to call him during the day, unless of course it was a real emergency.

Somewhat frustrated, Jordan rose from his seat and scurried across the office, to where his suit jacket was hung. He reached into the inner pocket and pulled out the phone, glancing briefly at the caller id before answering the call.

He stared in disbelief at the display, unable to move, seeing the name 'MARIA" printed in bold capital letters across his phone. That was a name he swore he'd never see again, never having erased it though from his list of too numerous contacts. It was just "MARIA;" no last name. Hell! He couldn't even remember her last name since she got married. Jordan couldn't even remember her husband's name, a loser of an individual who aided in his belief that spouses tear your friendships apart!

Jordan recalled a time, many years ago, when he, Maria, Tom, Jenny, Carri, and Phil all hung out together sharing great times and great friendships. Late night parties, dancing till dawn, and stupid board games were just some of the fond memories they had shared in the past. There was a chemistry they all shared. It was an invisible force that bound them together, and made them one! But that had all changed.

Maria was the first to split. It was an ugly time. She was blinded by 'love' and couldn't see what the rest of the group saw in her husband-to-be. They had all tried to dissuade her, and Maria misinterpreted their concern as jealousy for her happiness. So she went off and married. Things were no longer the same. Everyone missed Maria, and the unity of the group as a whole was divided. Carri was the next to wed, though evryone approved of her choice of husbands, even if it meant that he was taking her a thousand miles away. Tom, who secretly had a crush on Carri redirected his efforts and settled in with a nice older woman who had children from a previous marriage. Jenny and Phil eventually hooked up together, and Jordan was the third wheel. He eased himself out of the picture and threw himself into his work, with a new attitude about friends and relationships. It had served him well!

The historical flashback ended with yet another ringing of the phone, snapping Jordan out of his trance. He flipped open the earpiece and cautiously answered the phone. "Jordan Tate here, how may I help you?"

There was no reply! Jordan was able to hear though a faint whimper in the background. Crying? A sobbing intake of breath?

"Hello? ... Maria? ... Is that you Maria?"
 
Maria bit back another sob as she heard Jordan's voice on the phone and took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. It had taken her three tries to finally allow the call to go through, each time she hung up just before it rang. Now that Jordan was finally on the other end of the line, she didn't know what to say, her words catching in her throat each time she tried to speak.

"Jordan," she finally managed to say, her voice shaky. She shook her head at herself and took another deep breath as new tears threatened to fall "Jordan, I.. I found... lipstick.. a receipt. Oh God what am I going to do." It wasn't until after she blurted the words out that she realized that she wasn't making any sense.

"I am sorry Jordan, you must think I am a blubbering idiot," she said laughing uneasily and finally composing herself enough to speak clearly. "I've missed you Jordan." She didn't know what caused her to say the words but she realized that they were true. She did miss Jordan and her old friends, everyone she had lost when she married Mike.

The thought of Mike suddenly made her angry and she brushed the tears from her cheek. He didn't deserve her tears. "I really needed someone to talk to and you were the first person that came to my mind. I hope I am not interrupting anything important?"
 
Last edited:
Jordan stood there in his office staring blankly at the windows that offered him a great view of the city. He still couldn't believe that Maria was calling him after all these years. And now she was blabbering about something incomprehensible. All he heard was, "lipstick," and "receipt." She wasn't making any sense, and he suddenly wondered if Maria were in a drunken haze, and had just picked up her phone and dialed a random number? Just his luck! It would have to be him, and while he was at work.

But once Maria composed herself, and spoke of missing him, and needing to talk, Jordan began putting the pieces of an intricate puzzle together. 'That fucking asshole', was the first thing that popped into Jordan's mind as he held onto his phone. She must be talking about that no-good, loser of a husband of hers! Mike, the idiot who pretended to love Maria, only to get into her pants, and siphon her family's money! She had to be talking about him! He needed to put her at ease, first and foremost!

"No! It's fine Maria. Really it is! It's Mike, isn't it?"

Jordan didn't need her acknowledgement. He knew it was!

"Is he there now?"

Jordan was a bit concerned for Maria's safety, more than anything at this very moment. Despite having not even spoken to her in nearly seven years, he felt that immediate kinship that close friends can maintain, even after years of separation. When Maria assured him he wasn't, he ordered her to gather herself together and he'd have a cab at her door in less than ten minutes!

He didn't accept any response from her other than an affirmative agreement that she'd be ready for the cab. He got her address from her and quickly hung up the phone. He was surprised to find they hadn't moved, nor upgraded from the small condo unit they moved into when they were married! He'd have expected Mike to at least improve their standards over the years! He dialed the cab company and had a checkered unit dispatched to her door immediately. He ordered the company to direct the cabbie to bring her to his office as quickly as possible, and the faster he did so, the larger his tip would be! They eagerly agreed!

Jordan redialed Maria's number, and scolded her for answering the phone so quickly! "You should be getting ready, the cab'll be there shortly." Then with more concern and determination in his voice, he asked, "You want me to stay on the line with you?"
 
Maria's head was spinning when she hung up the phone. She had not expected Jordan to willing agree to talk to her and was definitely not prepared for it. The forcefulness in his voice made her hurry to change out of her bathrobe into something more presentable. Pulling on a tan pair of dress pants and a blouse, she grimaced at herself as she looked in the mirror. Her sleep tousled hair stood up in ever direction imagineable and her eyes were red and puffy from her crying. She was attempting to apply her makeup with a shaky hand when the phone rang again. She raced to pick it up after the first ring.


"I'm sorry. I... I was getting ready," she muttered into the phone, suprised by the scolding tone of Jordan's voice, but pleased to hear from him again. "You don't need to stay on the line Jordan. I am not going to change my mind about coming to see you." She held the phone to her ear as she applied the finishing touches to her makeup and smoothed her hair back into an elegant twist. The blare of the cab's horn made her jump and she nearly dropped the phone.

"It looks like the cab is here," she said, pulling back the bedroom curtain to see the car in the driveway. "I will be there shortly."

Hanging up the phone, she grabbed her jacket and purse and rushed out to the cab. It was not until she was seated in the backseat and on her way towards Jordan's office that she began to have second thoughts. Surely Mike had a good explanation for everything, she didn't need to get Jordan involved in it all. She almost told the cab driver to turn around and bring her back home, but, the thought of seeing Jordan again decided it for her and she sat silently looking out the window as they raced towards Jordan's office.

It seemed like mere seconds had passed when the cab pulled up in front of Jordan's ad agency. She stepped from the car and looked up in awe at the large building, thinking to herself that Jordan had surely accomplished more than she had in the years since they had seen each other. At one time she had felt right at home brushing elbows with company executives as a corporate lawyer, but, she had left that all behind when she married Mike, deciding instead to go into family law and work out of her home office.

Pulling some money out of her purse, she turned to pay the cab driver. He smiled and waved the money away, telling her that Mr. Tate had already taken care of it before driving off. Taking a deep breath, she hurried into the building and up to the front desk.

"Can I help you?" the young secretary said, looking up at her, her smile cool and professional but nowhere close to friendly.

"Yes, I am Maria Parker," Maria replied smiling back at her. "Jordan, I mean Mr. Tate is expecting me."

"I do not see your name on his appointment list Mrs. Parker," the secretary said, flipping through the pages of the appointment book. "Mr. Tate is a very busy man." She flashed Maria a look that spoke volumes. She realized that she didn't look anything like the usual clientele the secretary was used to dealing with.

"I don't have an appointment," she replied, sighing in frustration. She understood that Jordan was a busy man and didn't need this snotty secretary to tell her that. After how her morning had turned out, she was not in the mood to deal with her attitude. "He asked me to come here. Please, just tell him I have arrived."

Maria felt almost like crying again when the secretary turned her back on her, ignoring her completely as the front desk phone rang. She looked around, biting her lip to keep back the tears that threatened to fall. She hoped Jordan remembered that she was coming, since it didn't look like she was going to get past his secretary. The security men that were eyeing her from their position at the front door made her realize that it also would not be a good idea to try to push her way past the secretary into his office. Sighing, she slumped down into one of the waiting room chairs, intent on talking to the secretary again once she was off the phone.
 
Jordan had been pacing around his office. Thoughts of Maria, and her no-good husband, were filling his head. He was growing increasingly infuriated, slowly feeling his temper rise. He was getting pissed at Mike for putting Maria through this. He was pissed at Mike, for putting him through this! His entire day was going to be shot, because Mike was an asshole. Maria wouldn't have interrupted his day if Mike wasn't such a jerk! All the things he told his friends he'd like to do to Mike if he met him in a dark alley started filling his mind.

He had been pacing for quite some time, trying to control his anger and outrage, when he suddenly realized that Maria should be arriving sometime shortly. He looked out the window and saw a line of yellow cabs scurrying like ants down below. Any of them could contain Maria. He hadn't seen her in years, and wondered if he'd still recognize her after all this time?

'Michelle!'

'Damn!' Jordan thought! She had been scolded on numerous occasions not to ever interrupt him, under any circumstances. Many salespeople used a variety of techniques to gain access to his office. He had sternly instructed her that no one gets past her without a previously made appointment that she had confirmed with him during their morning meeting. Jordan picked up the phone and dialed up his secretary on the phone.

"Michelle? ... Clear all my appointments for the entire day ... Call Hueler & Sons and reschedule our presentation for next week. Tell them an emergency arose, but we are ready. We'll have a courier deliver the materials, but we'll give the presentation on Monday. Okay? ... Listen, there'll be a young woman arriving shortly. Her name is Maria. Make sure she gets straight up here without any hesitation! ... You escort her up here, and I'll give you the Hueler documents! ... Thanks!"

Jordan hung up the phone, not knowing that Maria was already downstairs having met the coldhearted barrier that Michelle put up!

He plopped down into his chair behing his desk, He ran his hands through his hair and exclaimed, "Whew!"

His rage had temporarily been replaced with the urgency to prepare for Maria's arrival. He gathered up the papers and all the related documents and shoved them into the large folder.

It was only a few minutes later when Jordan heard a faint knock upon his door, followed by a gentle creek of it opening. Michelle's head peeked just beyond the opening, as if preparing to pull back if he were to throw something at her. Her long blonde hair hung down as he looked at her creamy face.

"Mr. Tate? Maria ..."

"Come on in! Bring her in!" Jordan interrupted the formal request from Michelle, waving her towards him with harried urgency.
 
Maria was on the verge of leaving when Michelle came to collect her. If Jordan had of waited another minute to call his secretary Maria would have been in a cab and on her way back home to the quiet, empty house she left behind.

"Mrs. Parker," Michelle said, almost tentatively, as she approached the woman. "I am sorry, I did not realize that Mr. Tate was expecting you. Right this way please."

Maria followed Michelle as she hurried her through the hallways of the bustling office. Nobody paid them any attention as they approached a corner office. Maria could see Jordan's name enscribed on a gold plate on the door. The nervous feeling in her stomach couldn't be described as butterflies but something a whole lot stronger.

She waited patiently as Michelle knocked on the office door and peeked her head inside. The sound of Jordan's voice on the other side of the door made Maria's stomach flip flop and she suddenly felt weak in the knees. She didn't understand why she felt like this, they had been friends with Jordan for years before she had met Mike and had never felt nervous or uncertain around him before.

Brushing off the feeling as a side effect to her eventful morning, she followed Michelle into the office, her eyes moving around the room to take in the rich furniture and tasteful decorating before falling on Jordan where he sat behind his desk. She watched as Michelle picked up the files he handed her and scampered out of the room,closing the door behind her before saying anything.

"I am sorry to have bothered you Jordan," she said quietly, looking down at the floor. "I can see you are a very busy man. Perhaps I should go." Something in his look made her stop her backwards walk towards the door and slide into a chair in front of his desk. She fell silent, her hands twisting nervously in her lap, unsure what to say to him.
 
Jordan had gotten himself quite upset over what he had imagined was Maria's crisis that caused her to contact him out of the blue. There could only be one reason why a good friend of his from years gone by, a friend that hadn't made contact with him since her wedding, would be calling him on the busiest of days. The boiling in his veins was anger caused by Mike, yet when Maria walked through his door, he was unable to put that anger aside for her sake.

When Maria met his steely gaze, and looked down, looked away, and apologized for interrupting, Jordan couldn't understand what had come over her. He had never known Maria to be so bashful, so shy, so inwardly introverted. Yet all she was doing, was trying to slink her way back out of his office.

He didn't say a word! His eyes glared naturally. She had interrupted his day! He had changed his entire day, cleared his calendar, rescheduled appointments, and put off a major presentation, that he was willing to lose, just so that he could be with his best friend. Now she was about to slink out, and apologize for interrupting? Hell NO!

Jordan was sure his eyes made her stop her retreat, because she suddenly stopped and sat in the chair across from his desk. Not a word was spoken, and Jordan merely let his eyes take in the woman that was sitting before him. She had changed! The woman in front of him was not the same Maria he had remembered, not the same Maria he'd have imagined she'd aged into.

Sure enough, she had developed into a nice woman. Her face was rounder, her hair longer, makeup artfully applied to hide the tiny lines. Jordan could only shake his head, as he watched Maria look down at her clenched hands, tightly squeezing placed within her laps. Maria, demure? Never in his wildest dreams, would he ever have thought he'd see Maria like this.

Normally, in years past, when they gathered, everyone would give each other a huge hug, and at least a kiss on the cheek. There were were no pleasantries of the sort, this time, and Jordan was quite dismayed.

Being the businessman he had become, Jordan cut through all the bullshit and went straight to the point. He wanted to know the details about Mike, and what made Maria call him after all this time?

Pouring a full glass of water, he slid it across his mahogany desk to Maria. "Here! Have a drink!" As she accepted his offer, Jordan rose to his feet and circled around the desk and walked by Maria towards the door, locking it so they wouldn't be bothered. He then walked to the full length plate glass window which overlooked the city. Standing between the two palms which flanked the window, he asked Maria about the phone call.

His back to her, he spoke, looking at her reflection in the glass. "Maria! Tell me! Obviously there's something wrong. I haven't heard from you in nearly seven years, and now here you are! It's Mike, isn't it? It has something to do about your husband, doesn't it? Is he abusing you, hitting you, tormenting you? Or is he cheating on you? You used to tell me everything Maria! Tell me!"

Jordan turned back to look at her once more. Maria was the one female, within his circle of tight friends back then, that in hindsight, Jordan realized he ever had a real connection with. It was because of Maria though, and her choice of a husband, that Jordan had developed his sharp cynicism of marriage and marital relationships.
 
Maria watched Jordan as she took a small sip from the glass of water he offered her. Her hand shook softly making the water spill out onto the sleeve of her jacket as she drank. She still couldn't figure out why she was so nervous. There had been a time when Jordan had known her better than she even knew herself.

Maybe that was just it, she knew that Jordan knew the way she used to be and she was ashamed and a bit frightened to admit the woman she had become. She could also hear the irritation in his voice and that was not helping to ease the nerves either, though she knew Jordan enough to know that that irritation was not directed at her, just at the situation.

"I don't know where to start," she said quietly in response to his question. "It is about Mike." At the thought of her husband, her tears started to well up again. She quickly brushed them away with the back of her hand. "He..he's cheating on me Jordan, I just know it."

Getting up from her chair, she began to pace the room, trying to get her emotions under control. From the corner of her eye she could see Jordan where he still stood by the window. Anyone else would have felt silly bringing this all to his doorstep, especially since they had not seen each other so long, but, somehow it just felt right. Being there with him made her feel like she could deal with anything. Taking a shuddering breath, she stopped and smiled at him.

"You were right all along," she said, brushing an imaginary stray hair from her cheek. "Mike is nothing but a jerk. I think he may have been cheating on me for awhile now, but, it was not until this morning that I found proof of his indiscretions."
 
At that very moment that Maria had affirmed his suspicions, Jordan felt that rush of confidence, that somehow made him feel superior over many others. He was perceptive, but in Maria's case, any common fool would have been able to guess what was wrong with her. Nevertheless, Jordan spun on his heels to face the woman he used to consider a close friend. And despite her tears, her ramblings of Mike's unfaithfulness, she managed a smile.

It was that smile, that little smirk, the way the corners of her lips turned ever so slightly upwards, the way her nose crinkled, the way the tiny dimples formed in her cheeks, the way her eyes squinted, all those little attributes of her smile, that brought back memories of better days gone by. It was that same smile, that Jordan recalled, one night when they were partying, quite drunk, that nearly caused him to cross the line of being just friends. He had wanted to kiss her so badly, not in the friendly way that they did, but in a more passionate way. And that's all it would have taken. A little kiss back then could have changed their future inexplicably. An alternate path along the time continuum, and they wouldn't be here, talking about Mike's infidelity.

Mike's infidelity!

Jordan snapped back to reality! Well it was quite possible, though highly unreasonable that Maria was imagining things. So he pried for particulars, and listened to the detail account she had provided him with! And as Maria related the details of her findings, she broke down once again, tears running anew.

Jordan did, what any true friend would do. He rushed to Maria and wrapped his arms about her. He pulled her tight to him and offered his chest for her tears. And as he did so, he became acutely aware of her fragrant shampoo, a summer basket of fresh strawberries. His nostrils flared as he inhaled the scent.

With Maria now in his arms, their bodies pressed tightly together, Jordan also noticed something else. There was a tingling sensation beginning to course throughout his body!

What was he doing? What was happening? Should he even be doing this? Should he be thinking the things starting to go through his mind?
 
She felt safe wrapped in his arms. Safer than she had felt in a long, long time. She could feel his strong arms wrapped around her and could smell the colonge that he had always worn. The smell that had always been Jordan. With heer head on his chest, she slowly placed her hand on his chest, running it up to his shoulder.

" I am so sorry to dump all this on you Jordan. I just didn't know where else to go. What am I going to do? I can't stay with a man who cheats on me. I just wish I had listened to all of you all those years ago. I was such a fool." Maria cried into his chest. She sat there for a few minutes till the tears subsided. She looked up into his face, staring at the most incredible eyes she had ever seen.

She had thought herself falling for him years ago, but didn't want to ruin their friendship, and, well, then she had met Mike and everything changed. Mike had swept her off her feet and at the time made her happy. Yet, in the back of her mind, she had always wondered what if she and Jordan had kissed that one night long ago. It haunted her then, and it was haunting her now.

Slowly she pushed herself out of his arms and began wiping the last of her tears from her eyes.

"This isn't how I pictured my life going, you know. I always thought I would end up some big time corporate attorney, not practicing family law out of the house. Mike didn't even want me doing that. He wanted me to stay home and do nothing. I think sometimes he still does. Thankfully, we never had kids. I wanted to wait awhile. I just wish I knew why he was doing this. Am I that hard to look at?" she knew she was rambling but couldn't help her self. If anyone could help her figure this out, it would be Jordan.

He just listened to her ramble as she had begun pacing the room.
 
Jordan was thankful that Maria had pushed herself away! The closeness of their bodies was something he had not mentally prepared himself for. He exhaled a much needed sigh of relief, hoping it was enough to give the slight swelling in his trousers a respite.

He was a different man now, much different than, he was sure Maria knew him as. Just as he was a different man, he also knew that Maria was a much different woman. He listened to her tales of giving up her dreams and hopes of a career she was meant to do, a career she had spent four dedicated years of college to attain, and have it all squashed by that no good husband of hers.

What angered Jordan the most, was the same thing that angered him so many years ago. It was Mike! Mike! Mike! Mike! He absolutely hated Mike!

Maria paced back and forth, forcing Jordan to keep his eyes glued to her, listening to her ramble about her looks! There was nothing bad to look at! Maria still had it all packed in the right places; however, the tan slacks, and white blouse, were probably picked out by her husband, an intentional effort to hide her beauty from other eyes. Her auburn waves were tucked up in a conventional twist; yet Jordan could remember when her hair fell in irresistible waves, over her shoulders, the tips resting where her nipples used to poke through her revealing outfits.

Jordan had to shake the blurred images from his head, images of Maria past, morphed with Maria present! He had to focus, no matter how hard it was, on her words, words that really didn't matter. Jordan was a businessman. It was all about the bottom line, and the bottom line was Mike was an asshole!

Jordan had had enough! "MARIA!" His voice shook the room and startled Maria into silence as she stopped pacing and stared. Their eyes, once again spoke more than their words could ever say. "Have a seat," he ordered, in asofter, gentler tone.

He pointed to the sofa settled up against the back wall, more meant to be a conversational piece, than actually used. However, it also doubled as a bed for Jordan, on nights he worked too late. Jordan took a seat in the overstuffed single seat next to her. "So Maria? What are you going to do about this?"
 
Maria was at first shocked by his tone and felt she had no choice but to follow his command. Walking over to the sofa, she gentley sat down, folding her legs under neath her, like she used to do when she and Jordan talked.

She glanced over at him and was noticing sublte changes in him. Jordan hd always had a commanding presence, but now it was eve nmore pronounced.


"So Maria? What are you going to do about this?"

"I don't know where to begin Jordan, I have never felt so betrayed and hurt before. I know that I want my old self back. I am sick and tired of being lied to and manipuilated by him. God, how much of my money has he taken and spent on these whores he is sleeping with? What am I going to do, you ask. I am going to make that bastard pay. I am taking my inheritance and I am going to divorce the son of a bitch. What do you think Jord, should I?" she asked, grabbing his hand as she turned to look at him.
 
She grabbed his hand! Maria made that contact once again! Surges of electrical current running straight from his fingertips through his entire body. The respite his swollen manhood had gotten, ended. He could feel himself twitching again, hungering for the contact of his friend from so many years ago.

He clasped his other hand over hers, steadying any further reaction on his part, sealing her hand so that only her unpainted nails were visible. He absorbed her response, the most logical thing a woman would do, given the situation. But Jordan wasn't sure. Something in the back of his mind, told him that was not a wise decision at this point. He knew he needed to talk Maria out of getting a divorce, even though he couldn't pinpoint why ... exactly.

"I don't know Maria," he thoughtfully replied, choosing his words carefully. "That's a difficult decision. You've been with the man for, what, seven years now? Marriage is an investment. You've got the house, the cars, all the belongings, all that other stuff, besides the money. You and I both know that old adage, 'The only people that make out in a messy divorce, are the divorce lawyers!'"

Jordan didn't even realize that his upper hand was soothing, caressing Maria's hand as he spoke. What bothered him, though, with as much as he hated Mike, he was sitting here telling Maria, not to get a divorce. He wasn't quite sure how to answer such a personal question, giving advice to the friend who hadn't heeded his advice before. If she hadn't married him, they wouldn't be in this mess today.

As Jordan was contemplating how to answer Maria, a knock came upon the door. Jordan, suddenly realizing he was still at work, straightened up and allowed whomever to enter. The lithe blonde secretary, Michelle popped her head through the door, her hair hanging delightfully down off her shoulders, a bright beaming smile on her face. "Excuse me for interrupting sir, but your appointment has been rescheduled for Monday, and the layouts should be on their desks any minute now. I was just heading out for lunch, and was wondering if you needed anything, or wanted me to bring back anything?"

Jordan eyed his young secretary, images of her bent over his desk, completely naked, except for her heels, flashed in his head. He shook his head, erasing the image of their impromptu tryst a few weeks back! "Thank you, Michelle! That's great news! No, I think we'll be fine! As a matter of fact, I think I'm taking the rest of the day off! When you come back Michelle, just wrap things up, and start the weekend early. I'll see you first thing, Monday morning!"

Michelle's eyes lit up, as he gave her an early day. She closed the door and bounded out. Jordan, meanwhile looked back to Maria, and picked up his conversation.

"I don't quite know what to do Maria! But I think it's time, we go do something we haven't done in a long time ... something we both need to do!" He was already pulling her to her feet, dragging her towards the door, grabbing his suit jacket along the way. "We're going to get drunk!"
 
She couldn't beleive what she was hearing. Jordan was actually telling her to stay with Mike. She couldn't beleive that after all this time, that Jordan would want her to stay with a man that had cheated on her. Back in the day, that was one of Jordan's biggest pet peeves, a man who cheated. It had always been a sore subject with Jordan and she had never questioned it before.


While they were sitting there, she had loved the feel of Jordan's hand on hers. It had been so long since a man had touched her like this. Just held her hand and listened. She fought back the tears as she thought about it. It was then that his secretary popped her head in the office and the connection seemed to be gone.

Once he told his secretary that he was taking the rest of the day off and for her to do the same, a tiny spark started inside her. He honestly seemed to want to spend time with her.

"We're going to get drunk!"

He grabbed her by the hand and headed towards the door so fast, she barely had time to grab her purse. He had always seemed to know exactly what to do in any situation and getting drunk seemed the best idea.

"Let's go to that little bar we used to go to in college," she suggested as they headed down the elevator. It would be nice to be back in that little hole in the wall where no one would know them. "Unless, of course, you have a different place in mind." She had tried to hold on to his hand the whole time, but thought he was feeling a little uneasy, so she let him go. Once they got to the lobby, he placed his haqnd at the small of her back as he led her out of the elevator, and they headed toward the garage.
 
Jordan had planned to just take Maria to the bar that was within walking distance to his place of employment, a quick resolution to their situation. However, when Maria had suggested the college watering hole, the memories of yesteryear began flooding his mind, recollections of happier, carefree times with Maria, and the rest of the gang.

Finally reaching the garage parking lot, Jordan fetched his keys from his pocket and pressed the button, chirping the alarm on his BMW, convertible Spyder. Its sleek silver exterior reflected the two of them as they approached, its top already down. Jordan helped Maria into the low lying car, and for the first time was really availed a generous view of her cleavage, despite her conservative attire. From his vantage, he could easily look down her blouse.

Jordan circled to the driver's side and got in, started the engine and revved the horses to life. He pulled out of the garage and made his way onto the crowded, busy city streets. Within twenty minutes, the two were soaking up the bright sun as the wind whipped through their hair, speeding down the highway towards the college. The conversation between the two, during the drive was limited, because they'd have to scream in order to hear each other. They zipped along until they reached the college, slowing down as they drove through the sprawling campus grounds, pointing and commenting about those things that were different, and reflecting on the memories that the familiar buildings brought back!

Just beyond the campus, Jordan pulled into the now paved parking lot of 'The Hubbub'. No longer needing to scream to have a conversation, Jordan looked to Maria who was fumbling with her wind toussled hair. Chuckling, he apologized, "Sorry, that tends to happen sometimes." Secretly, however, Jordan wished she'd just let it all down, like she used to do when they were younger. At least her temperament had changed, she had a smile on her face, and her once pale cheeks, had some color.

Once again, with his hand upon her back, he led her inside the bar, it's dark wood interior, having not changed one bit. "It's good to see some things don't change," he commented, pocketing his dark sunglasses. They were immediately greeted by a bubbly coed who found them a secluded booth. The only bad thing about being here, Jordan felt, was that the two were not only older than a vast majority of the patrons beginning to fill the place, but they were obviously overdressed for the establishment where tight fitting jeans, and equally tight fitting tees was the norm. At least the booth gave them some seclusion from the mass majority.

Before he sat across from Maria, Jordan fished a twenty from his pocket and handed it to the waitress. "That's for you! We're going to be here quite a while, and I want to make sure we're well taken care of," he whispered in her ear. Sitting down, he said he'd have a Jack and Ginger, "and for the lady?"

After Maria gave her drink order, Jordan looked her in the eyes! "No talk of the ass!"
 
Maria hadn't felt this free in a long time. She had been living such a conservative lifestyle for so long, she almost forgot what it was like to be a little carefree.

She had been so carefree when she was in college, feeling like she could take on the world and conquer it. Her friends had always been a constant in her life, at least until she had met Mike. He had changed everything for her.

Maria was glad tht Jordan took her up on the offer to go to the Hubbub. It held such great memories for them both. The drive was a godsend to her. Leave it to Jorfan to have a convertible, something she had always wanted, but Mike had always said no. It was "classy" enough for them. She was thankful for the time it took to reach the bar. It had given her time to think about things. She felt relaxed and comfortable, just sitting in the car with him, neither of them having to talk. They just could enjoy each others presence.

It had always been that way for them. They just liked being with each other, the best of friends. Even if she had often wished it had been more.

As soon as they were sitted and she ordered a glass of white wine. Jordan just looked at her at first. He knew that wasn't what she normally drank, at least not back then. She had always been a crown and coke drinker. She could tell that he knew this was another of those "Mike" changes that had occured over the years.

"No talk of the ass!"

"Your right, Jordan. For the rest of the time we are together today, I am going to pretend he doesn't exist." she said as she excused herself from the table. She found their waitress and changed her order to her crown and coke, before heading to the ladies room.

She looked in the mirror at the mess the wind had made of her hair, and at how prim she looked. She hated it. She hated everyhing that was staring back at her. It was time for some changes.

She took her brush out of her purse and began taking the pins out of her hair, letting it fall down her back. It had grown a little since Jordan had seen her last. It feel almost to her waist now, and almost completely covered her breasts. She brushed it to a high gloss and waves. She freshened up her makeup a bit and then loking at how buttoned up she was, she undid a few buttons on her blouse.

She walked back to the table and noticed that their drinks had arrived. She tried to guess Jordan's reaction to her changes, but he kept a blank expression on his face.

"OKay, so what do you want to talk about. How bout you tell me how things have been going for you. You seem to have done everything you wanted to do. You are at the top of your field, you have sucess and wealth. What more could a guy ask for?" she said as she drank her drink. Before she knew it, there was another one sitting there.
 
Jordan waited for Maria to return to the booth, and when she did, he was instantly taken back to a time when things were much different than they were today. Maria looked a lot like she did when they had gone to college, when they, and their friends really didn't have a care in the world. Of course, she had more rounder curves, but this was more like the Maria, Jordan would have expected to see, had she chosen a different path in life. He also took a keen interest in the way she had undone a couple buttons, availing him a glimpse of the creamy flesh he'd fantasized over on many lonely nights in his dorm room.

He promised her that they would not discuss the ass, so he toasted her arrival, her more relaxed, more comfortable look. It didn't take long for Maria to drown down the rum and coke, Jordan actually having to catch up to her. They had chatted quite amicably, Jordan explaining how he had catapulted himself through the ad business. While he acknowledged he had done quite well, he confessed that it was at the expense of many relationships. "It's hard to keep up with the dating scene when you have an ad deadline on a Monday morning. And when you've been single as long as I have, one tends to get set in their ways. I'm not sure any woman could stand me for too long!"

Another round of drinks ensued as the conversation seemed to center around him. Again, Jordan toasted, and in mocking himself, said, "Here's to boys and their toys." He was referring to his drive to stay on top, and have the latest and greatest of material goods in absence of love.

By the time, the third (or maybe it was the fourth) round of drinks arrived, one of Jordan's interns, a student at the college had spotted his boss at the table. He came over, and Jordan invited him to join their little gathering. Jordan introduced Maria to Paul. Pleasantries were exchanged, and Paul told them of the band that was playing tonight, a popular favorite among the college crowd. Paul encouraged the two of them to stay and check it out. Jordan spied the way Paul's eyes were roving over Maria's form and her shapely breasts, hiding behind the longneck he was drinking. Even though Paul was talking to both of them, his eyes were noticeably riveted to Maria, as they probably should be. She was looking quite delectable with a pleasant flush of color to her cheeks.

When Paul had finally left the table, Jordan lost count on how many drinks they had consumed. He leaned across the table and whispered loudly to Maria. "I think Paul has the hots for you. Did you see the way he was undressing you with his eyes?"

Jordan finished his drink and looked questioningly towards his longtime friend.

"So? How'bout it? Wanna stay and check out what the 'kids'are listening to nowadays?"
 
Maria was grateful that things seemed to be just as they had left them all those years ago. Talking to Jordan today was almost like talking to him when they had been in school.

She managed to keep the converstaion centered more on him than on the way things had been going in her life, since that life had manly consisted of Mike and Mike's friends.

She had sat quietly while Jordan talked to his employee Paul, only answering questions when they were directed towards her. This was one of those changes that she didn't like about herself.

Since she and Mike had married, she had strted blending into her surroundings, never speaking unless spoken too, letting Mike carry any and all conversations.

"I think Paul has the hots for you. Did you see the way he was undressing you with his eyes?"

She looked at Jordan and laughed. "Your kidding right! Come on Jord, I am not some hot little co-ed anymore. Just a plain housewife from the burbs." She didn't wait for a response, as she downed another drink.

"So? How'bout it? Wanna stay and check out what the 'kids'are listening to nowadays?"

Maria sat there for a minute thinking over the question. What did she have to get home to? Nothing, Mike wouldn't be home till late, she knew. He would be calling heer cell anytime now sying he had some late meeting or something and to not wait up, after all, it was Friday and that was his "normal" routine of late.

She was feeling a little tipsy and a little adventerous. She leaned in a little closer to him, and absently rested her hand on his shoulder.

"You know what I want to do right now? Well, I'll tell you. I would love to hear this band Paul was talking about, but, I want to goshopping right now. I want to go and find something to wear that is more suited to, well, a night out. Maybe some little sexy number."

She laughed a little as she thought about it.

Jordan, will you take me shopping and then go on a date with me tonight?" She asked, as she stared into those eyes again. If he had been right about the way Paul had stared at her and checked her out, then she wanted to give them all something to see, especially Jordan. She had a need to feel, well, sexy and wanted again. She wanted to recapture some of the self respect she had lost over the last seven years. It was well past time that Maria became Maria again. And she had a feeling that Jordan was just the man to help her.
 
Jordan was a little taken aback at the sudden change in demeanor from Maria. It was not something he had expected from the one he assumed to be so shy and reserved. However, he liked it! It made the corners of his lips curl upwards, ever so slightly. He couldn't hide the grin crossing his face, as he agreed to take Maria shopping.

"That sounds delicious. I think we're gonna havta walk though! I'm getting a good buzz. Does that sound okay? I know a couple places we can go."

Jordan flagged down his waitress, and paid his tab, promising to return. Jordan then caught Paul's attention and told him of their plans, asking him to save their booth, so they had a place to return to when the place got crowded.

He held out his hand to Maria. "Shall we go?"

There was a charge when her hand fell into his, and it sent a shiver through his body. Whether it was the alcohol, or the fact that he was losing himself in the reminiscence of life long gone by, Jordan pulled Maria close to him as they walked out the door. The sun was setting over the campus and the color it painted the buildings also seemed to give Maria's face a warm glow. He wrapped his hand around her waist, and the two walked along, quite giddily.

They had walked two or three blocks, when they came upon a little strip of stores that catered mostly to the college crowd. Nestled in there was a little boutique, that Jordan led her into. As soon as his eyes settled on the displays and the items on the racks, he knew he had hit paydirt! There were a lot of skimpy, slinky outfits that lined the wall, as well as the conservativetees that were always chosen two sizes too small, focusing attention on the words that always seemed to be emblazened across their young firm breasts.

Jordan let go of Maria as her eyes widened, like a kid in a candy shop. She started going through the racks, pulling stuff out, and giggling before putting it back. Jordan was afraid she might be having second thoughts, so he pushed her along a bit.

"Go on. You're the one that said you wanted something sexy. Try it on. Model it for me. I'll tell you whether it's you or not. " He even went as far as to pick out a few outfits he thought would be cute, sassy, and sexy for Maria. By the time Maria went to the changing room, she had at least five outfits that he knew of.

When she disappeared behind the door, he could only imagine what she'd look like. He prepared himself for the deja' vu that would occur when his eyes would roam over her body. He had his back to the door, idly looking through some more clothes when he heard his name called out. He turned around, and stood there dumbly, as Maria modeled the outfit. She looked absolutely stunning, and he told her so. He encouraged her to try on the others, knowing that each one successive one was a bit more daring, and definitely even more revealing. He wondered if Maria's conservative, shy nature would come crashing forth, and deem any of the outfits 'too inappropriate' for her?

His mouth salivated, anxious to see her in the next several outfits, his eyes now glued to the door, waiting for her next display.
 
Maria wasn't quite sure what was causing all the excitement in her. Wheither it was the alchohol or Jordan or the impromtu shopping trip, she didn't care. She hadn't been this happy in a long time.

She tried on all the outfits that she and Jordan had picked out, but couldn't decide which on she liked the best. Of the five, she narrowed her choices down to two.

One was a mini tank dress in a bright red, that hugged every inch of her. She knew Jordan had liked it, because it had left him almost speechless when he saw it.

But the last one she tried on. That was the one that did it. Not only had it left Jordan speechless, he had broken out in a slight sweat when she had exited the dressing room.

The skirt was leather and barley covered her butt and thighs. It hugged every curve she had below the waits, and just covered the top of the thigh high hose she had on. The top was a deep royal purple and also made of leather. It was a strapless bustier that laced up the back, which JOrdan had to help her tie. With her hair hanging down her back, the whole out fit seemed to make her feel as sexy and as in control of herself as she had been in college.

She decided to go ahead and keep all the outfits, but wore the leather outfit out. She paid for her purchases and was delighted with what she was accomplishing tonight.

Walking over to Jordan, she threw her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek.

"Now all I need is some new shoes? Shall we see if we can find just the right ones?" she asked with all the joy she was feeling.


As they were looking at shoes, her cell phone rang. She answered it with out thinking, and immediately her mood darkened a bit.

"Fine, I guess I will just find something to do. After all I am getting used to spending Friday nights alone." she roled her eyes as she continued her converstation with Mike. "No Ill be fine. I will probably just go to a movie or something." She hung the phone and threw it into her purse as she looked at the purple spiked heels that were on her feet.

They matched the top perfectly and made her legs look incredible. She stood up next to Jordan and realized that with the heels, she was now at his same height. She threw her arms around his neck again and giggled.

SHe found a pair just like them in red and in black, and bought all three. She was loving this new look. And now she had shoes that would go with everything she had bought.

Turning back to Jordan, she asked..."Where too now?"
 
Last edited:
Jordan was mesmerized, spellbound by the seeming transformation in Maria having taken place. He was instantly taken back to the days they shared together, while in college. It was as if they stepped into a time machine and were zapped back. Maria looked nearly as wonderful as she used to.

Some things were different though! Maria seemed even more attractive, more alluring, damn ... more sexy than he remembered. It was as if she was screaming for attention, attention that she was surely getting from all the eyes in the store. And the heels; they made her legs seem even longer, and the short skirt seem even smaller. When she modeled the shoes, his eyes were only riveted to the swells of her ass cheeks when she turned! Damn, she was a downright knockout!

Jordan was different too, however. He was no longer the same either. While he was not about to change into the jeans and tee shirts, he was known for in college, he was more in control of himself, more demanding in his wants and needs. He knew a lot more about himself and women in general, and that made the situation even more dangerous, the swelling in his trousers indicating his arousal.

When the phone call came, Jordan was actually quite thankful, for it seemed to cut the fuse leading to the powder keg. The look on Maria's face definitely relayed who was on the phone. But Jordan had to stifle back a chuckle as she rolled her eyes and feigned depression and resignation to another lonely night. When she hung up and tossed the phone into her purse, her eyes immediately lit up again, and Jordan knew she was enjoying this.

It was at that moment that the ideas were beginning to form in his head. They wouldn't formulate fully, until later. They wouldn't gel together into a methodical unified plan until much later. But it was at that moment, that Maria's life was taking on a new path, going down a diverging road than the one she had been travelling with Mike. The road she was on, would soon merge with Jordan's and forever change both of their lives. Not even Jordan could predict what was about to happen!

They were practically eye to eye, with her heightened stature, her heels, seemingly forcing her to push her shoulders back, and thrust her lovely breasts forward. She was now a sexual creature. She was prey for the male species to swarm around and attack. She was wrapping her arms around his neck, and giggling ... Jordan felt, she was ... *HIS*!

After buying two additional pair of heels, that he was sure she'd look spectacular in, she had turned and asked him where they should head next? They still had some time to kill before the band would kick in, back at the watering hole. Jordan's mind was spinning with possibilities, one of which included slipping into one of those clothing store changing rooms with Maria! He suppressed that idea, however.

"Well! We could go back to the pub and continue getting sloshed and celebrate the new you? Or, we could walk the campus and show you off to all those young studs? Or, we could temper our drunk by getting a bite to eat at this little Italian place around the corner? It's your night Maria! It's your coming out party! You pick!"

Jordan had that strange inkling, that it didn't matter what Maria chose, the night would still end up the same way ...
 
"Well! We could go back to the pub and continue getting sloshed and celebrate the new you? Or, we could walk the campus and show you off to all those young studs? Or, we could temper our drunk by getting a bite to eat at this little Italian place around the corner? It's your night Maria! It's your coming out party! You pick!"

Maria didn't know what she wanted to do as she and Jordan made their way out of the store. She stated noticing people staring at them, and couldn't figure out why. Then she realized that it was mostly men, and she had to smile.


It had been years since men had looked at her this way. She was strting to get some of her self assurance back and with it came some confidence.

Suddenly, she stopped and turned Jordan towards her. "Okay, I think I want dinner first. And then, well, I have the craziest idea. If we have enough time, and I think we might. What do you think of me getting a tattoo? You know I have wanted one ever since college and have always been to chicken to do it.
What do you think?"
 
Jordan had predicted the reaction the two of them would get as he carted Maria along the streets. He made sure, on several occasions, to whisper into Maria's ear that a certain someone was 'scoping her out'. He even went as far as to suggest that a couple of them were probably imagining what she looked like without her seductive clothing. There was even one young college freshman, that Jordan pointed out, would probably go home and masturbate, thinking about her. The whole time Jordan was pointing out the other men, he avoided the subject that he was secretly one of them! He had always been! He had never had the courage back then. Now that he had the courage, he wasn't sure if he should interfere during a period of weakness for Maria?

They were already turning into the entrance of the restaurant, when Maria dropped the bombshell on him! He hadn't expected that at all from this once, prim and proper lady! But the mere idea of it, brought a wicked smile to his face. He wondered, though, if the food would sober her up, and make her change her mind? Only time would tell.

"Sounds good. But only if I get to pick out the tat, and where it goes!"

He wasn't sure if she'd go along with that stipulation, but if she were going to mark her body, he wanted something classy and in a meaningful location. He'd seen too many a beautiful woman mark their bodies in what he considered ugly and unfashionable ways! He wasn't against tats, he was just quite opinionated on how they looked on women!

Nevertheless, they were quickly seated at a small table in a corner of the small restaurant. Jordan took the liberty of continuing their preference of libation, ordering a rum and coke for Maria, and Jack and ginger for himself, along with appetizers and the main course, never once consulting with Maria on her preferences. "Trust me, the food here is awesome!"

When the short Italian waiter had left, Jordan resumed his teasing. "You know he was looking down your top while he was standing behind you? You should be ashamed of yourself, teasing him so!" Jordan chuckled. "If you were my girl, I'd make you flash him, just for teasing him like that!" Again, he chuckled, laughing at the image of the waiter's eyes bulging out.
 
She still couldn't believe how many men seemed to be checking her out, but it felt good. In a way, she hoped Jordan was also. But, then again he was her best friend, always had been. Just because she had had such a huge crush on him in college didn't mean he felt the same.


As the were seated at the table and Jordan ordered for them, she thought about how her life might have been different if she had taken the risk back then and had told him how she felt. Would she have even looked at Mike, or would she have ruined her and Jordan's great friendship.

Then, his words came back into her mind: 'Sounds good. But only if I get to pick out the tat, and where it goes!'

She didn't have to think long about it, she knew that was what she wanted. She wanted him to pick out her tat and where it went. It felt right, like that was the way it was meant to be.

She was about to tell him that when he dropped the bomb about the waiter. She laughed a little and wondered if maybe she should flash him, just to see his reaction. It wouldn't take much, not with her top being strapless.

When the waiter came back with there appitizers, she gave Jordan a wicked look as she manuvered her top so that her breasts were fully exposed to them both for a moment, thanking the waiter for bringing their food.

She noticed the look on the waitrers face and could tell exactly where he was looking. As he left their table, she fixed her top and gave Jordan her answer.

"Yes Jordan, I would love for you to pick out the tat and where it should go. You always did have such an eye for things like that."
 
Back
Top