New Lit Control Panel Testers - Info, Updates, Reports & More

Links and space

Links to the forums are missing from the new control panel.

While looking for them it occurred to us that the information on the left hand frame appears to be duplicating what is available from the drop-down at the top right. Maybe the left frame could be eliminated or moved to an overview for more space for the story summary information.

Having them in tabular form gave a better view of things and organized chapters of a story better. Like a hybrid between the memberpage submissions and the new one:
Title (score) Description (hot, awards) Date Category - Favorites Votes Views Comments

-MM
 
Can't search for authors or topics

On the new control panel when I search for an author, I receive a message, "Ooops, looks like the server is overloaded right now. Try again later."

If I use the old search for an author, either I receive the same message, or another screen with the same search window to fill in, so that I now have two places to enter an author's name.

On the new control panel when I search for a story or a word, I get, "No items found," even when I know the name of the story or an item. Looks like something is broken there.

BTW, I'm using Firefox as a browser on my PC.

Thanks for all your hard work on getting the new control panel working.
 
Several authors have mentioned that it can be daunting to try to take in all of the data available in the new system. We understand that, and we are reading all of your comments (public and private) looking for ways to improve the system.

One thing that I didn't mention in the first post in this thread is that we had intended to launch the My Home section with a "Quick Stats" graph above the Activity Feed. The graph did not make it into the first version for various reasons, but it is in progress now.

For active authors with a large number of works, it can be hard to get a quick idea of how you are doing on Lit. You can dig down into the stats for each story, but what about overall reads on all of your works this week vs last week? We hope that a simple graph with key stats attached will make it easy to understand how your entire body of work has been doing.

Another feature which is mostly done, but not quite ready for public testing, is the manual Series Management interface. In case there wasn't enough to confuse you yet, there is lots more to come! :D

Thank you again for all of the comments, suggestions, and bug reports. Please keep them coming!


That sounds like it would handle the issues I had stated earlier about seeing the stats clearly. Hope it has the exact numbers of views though.

:D

heyall
 
Under this new update, will we be able to block/ban certain posters who troll the comment sections to stories? If there is one thing I wish I could do, it's just that. I would get rid of the few trolls that consistently post nothing but negative comments on stories.
 
Under this new update, will we be able to block/ban certain posters who troll the comment sections to stories? If there is one thing I wish I could do, it's just that. I would get rid of the few trolls that consistently post nothing but negative comments on stories.

Damn, that's a great suggestion.

Please create this!!!!

There are people with accounts who repeatedly do this to authors.
 
Damn, that's a great suggestion.

Please create this!!!!

There are people with accounts who repeatedly do this to authors.


Amen!!! That is exactly why I mentioned it! There is a handful of people with accounts that do it constantly, and it becomes tiresome of constantly deleting a bunch of negative troll comments from the same jerks. Would be nice to block/ban them like on Youtube.
 
I'll echo a common suggestion: I prefer being able to see a quick snapshot of all my works. My list is only 58 stories, but I think I'll miss not being able to see them all at once.

A sortable list of Works by Title & Date Posted would be nice.

I'm unsure how my Works would show up to a reader. If a reader read one of my stories, enjoyed it, and wants to check out the rest of my Lit Library, would they see a list of Works as it appears on the control panel? If so, sorting could become more important.

IF we're talking sorting factors for readers viewing an author's work - perhaps one of the criteria could be its genre. For writers with an eclectic mix of genre's, that could be very helpful to readers who prefer, say, "incest" or who want to read anything-but-incest.

I don't mind the rounding, however, it takes a moment to digest. Perhaps consider adding a color to numerical value. For example, I have an Incest work at 126.1K views and an Essay work at 558. Clearly, Essay's won't attract as much attention as Incest. So, what if the count is green until it gets above 1K and then red for counts over 1k?

Perhaps you could include a pop-up bubble for the 126.1K number that specifies 126.1 = 126,179 reads?

I like clicking on the quotations cloud to jump right to all the comments for that story - but here are two suggestions:
1) Sort comments by time, starting with most recent?
2) Have a "back" button that takes you right back to where you left off on your story list. (Hitting the back button on my browser took me back to the start of My Stories list.

Hope that helps!
 
First: This is a great improvement. I hope the next step will be to bring the whole site into this century. ;-)

Most small and big things have already been mentioned. Some additional thoughts:
- I love "Authors Activity". As a reader, that is something I hoped to see in the last few month. Hope it will be something, that will be easier avaivable for all account users. Atm it would be a little bit hidden for none authors.
- Following-Tab: "161 Works 1578 Followers Following 25" This feels like an akward and hard to read formatting. The first two with the number first and than the opposite.

I have currently two errors using Firefox:
- "Uh-oh, nothing here yet." on the "Home-Tab".
- "Application error happened. Page-reload might help" on the list of my followers.

Both worked first, so probably something got broken in the ongoing developement?
 
My first impressions:

- The information on how many readers "follow" me (favorite has been a nice word as well) is new.
- The information on how many readers follow a specific story is now available on the "my stories" page.
Both informations are not extremely important, but have been somewhat missing on the old pages.

- The new "my stories" page is nice, but could maybe be condensed a bit. The available information is good, but takes up a little too much space.

- I still seem to prefer the old activities list, either because it´s clearer or out of habit.

All in all, it´s a nice improvement. Thanks for the good work.

Stefan
 
Second opinion.

The more I use it the more I like it.

Particularly like the alert you get when a favorite author posts a new story.
 
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but while I see the "HOT" label posted on stories, I'm not seeing the blue "W" signifying a win.

Other sorting suggestions for the new list of stories:
  • Title (of course)
    Genre
    Rating/Score
    Date posted
    Popularity (number of votes)
    Most commented

Another suggestion:
On the "Works Activity" tab - it would be helpful if there was a more visual way to see the kind of activity, much like the current system which shows a dialog bubble for a comment and a heart for someone who favorites something.
 
My only real concern, from my first quick look, is the format of the Submissions List. Others have said it too - it needs a "sort by most recent published" option, not just alphabetical order. I do prefer the old "single scroll" style list, but if there were various sort options, I'd probably get used to the paginated lists. I've got 58 stories and pics up at the moment, which is five pages on my Kindle, so it's livable with.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to title my latest stories (the ones I pay most attention to, when they first go up) as "Aaron the Aardvark Part A" and then Part AA, so they remain top of the list.

Collecting the stats and faves in one place is good, rounding the stats to the nearest 0.1 doesn't bother me, the "latest by my faves" list is good too. Not tried any of the other bits and bobs just yet, but on the whole, looks good for me. I use a Kindle most of the time for reading, submitting and forum etc... the font sizes are fine for me.
 
I like it, its great to know how many 'followers' i've got, i've always wondered. I really like the feed,

I can see its going to enable readers to see if I reply to their comments and its great that you can see when the people you follow update, I'll start following a lot more writers now I think.

I just used it to upload a story, which was fine, except my italic html tags showed up in the preview instead of the italics -hope that makes sense, when I checked on the preview in the old interface it was italic though.
 
I like being able to see how many people have faved me. Also like to see which of my favorites have recently posted a new story. Only thing I can say I don't like is that my story catalog is several pages instead of just one, which might be OK once I get used to it.
 
I like being able to see how many people have faved me. Also like to see which of my favorites have recently posted a new story. Only thing I can say I don't like is that my story catalog is several pages instead of just one, which might be OK once I get used to it.

In my case it is 23 pages. Good lucky finding anything in that.
 
Sounds nice. Does that have to be activated somewhere?

The bigger question is can it be deactivated. Think of the fun and ease that your personal trolls can have with this feature.
 
The bigger question is can it be deactivated. Think of the fun and ease that your personal trolls can have with this feature.
I usually don´t favorite my trolls, so I hope I´m safe there. If you´re talking about the other way around, (they get notified if I submit something) - that´s unavoidable anyway. I usually post in LW, that´s where they hang around anyway ;)

So far I haven´t received any email notifications that one of my favorite authors has done anything. So if it´s an option, it seems to be deactivated by default.

It would be a nice feature that I´ve always missed.
 
Before, there had been talk about having a way to not-see when someone favorties you on the new panel.

In other words, if someone unfavs you, you can prevent your profile from reporting that.

Is that currently part of this test panel? I didn't see a feature where you could do that.
 
One big problem showed up today. Just an FYI for everyone using the new control panel for submissions.

Thanks to not being able to get an actual preview, half the first page of my Halloween story is in italics. :eek: Even after doing a double review before hitting submit, I managed to miss that I had failed to do a close slash on a set of italics. :eek:

My suggestion would be for everyone, that until Manu gets the preview working for us, be extra, extra cautious on reviewing your new submissions or stick with the old control panel for them to be able to get a true preview.
 
The new control panel does not show my published works. It just says "Loading" and spins its wheels.
 
One big problem showed up today. Just an FYI for everyone using the new control panel for submissions.

Thanks to not being able to get an actual preview, half the first page of my Halloween story is in italics. :eek: Even after doing a double review before hitting submit, I managed to miss that I had failed to do a close slash on a set of italics. :eek:

My suggestion would be for everyone, that until Manu gets the preview working for us, be extra, extra cautious on reviewing your new submissions or stick with the old control panel for them to be able to get a true preview.

Yes. I went to use the new submissions panel and hit this so I went back and used the old one. I use italics here and there in my stories (and bold every now and then as well) and I always miss something the first time through. Not being able to check that is a total no-no for me coz I do check before I submit after screwing up badly a couple of times. Need to fix that before I'd want to use the new submissions panel.

Also, the My Activity Page
- that 1 day, 7 day, 30 day split is so useful. For my latest story I'm getting a lot of comments and I want to see all the lastest for the last day in one hit. Not Load More, Load More, Load More and have to figure out where to stop. That's just an annoying waste of time.
- yes - bring back the hearts. Love those. And the broken hearts. Those little visual cues are so nice to see.
 
Back
Top