Reviving old threads?

Eve2015

Virgin
Hi, HT crowd. I'm new to Lit and wonder about the etiquette of adding on to/reviving older threads. Does it matter? How old is 'too old' (I'm sure I'm setting myself up here...)? Should I start a fresh thread whenever something sparks my interest? I don't want to cause any facepalms or step on any toes...

Eve

Last edited:
Hi Eve,

I have wondered about this as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the old threads back up again. There was a lot of information I found very useful in them when I was first trying to learn about BDSM subjects.

The only place you may get an occasional moan directly for reviving an older thread, is perhaps the am pics forums.

Otherwise, basically you can start a thread however you wish. If it's interesting to others they'll reply, if not, they won't. There is no right or wrong when it comes to threads as its a forum to share opinions, and if you have an opinion then why not share it?

As for bumping old threads, if you personally find something in an old thread you'd like to have brought back up, then you're well within your right to do so. More often than not someone else will share the same enthusiasm as you.

And welcome, hope this helps you both.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for bumping old threads, if you personally find something in an old thread you'd like to have brought back up, then you're well within your right to do so. More often than not someone else will share the same enthusiasm as you.

Thank you! :rose:

The only place you may get an occasional moan directly for reviving an older thread, is perhaps the am pics forums.

Otherwise, basically you can start a thread however you wish. If it's interesting to others they'll reply, if not, they won't. There is no right or wrong when it comes to threads as its a forum to share opinions, and if you have an opinion then why not share it?

Many thanks!

Oh, Some people are going to bitch!

If you really work at it you can make them howl!:D

I know I can.:)

When it's slow like now... it really is a good thing...

I like to see some revival of older threads. Particular if the information is useful or of interest to me.

Revive away! For those that don't like it....sod off!

Oh, Some people are going to bitch!

If you really work at it you can make them howl!:D

I know I can.:)

When it's slow like now... it really is a good thing...

Advice from an instigator... I like it! I generally do prefer when everyone can just get along, but I'm willing to cause a few ripples for the sake of knowledge ;-)

I like to see some revival of older threads. Particular if the information is useful or of interest to me.

Revive away! For those that don't like it....sod off!

Lol, thanks for the support! Well, it's good to know there aren't any *specific* rules. Now to remember which threads originally caught my attention and where...

Hi, HT crowd. I'm new to Lit and wonder about the etiquette of adding on to/reviving older threads. Does it matter? How old is 'too old' (I'm sure I'm setting myself up here...)? Should I start a fresh thread whenever something sparks my interest? I don't want to cause any facepalms or step on any toes...

Eve

Welcome to Lit :rose:

Each forum has its own unique culture, so what is acceptable in one is completely not in another. It does take some time to familiarise oneself, but I promise you that it's well worth the effort! :)

In the How-To, the general etiquette is that you don't revive old threads (also known as 'zombie threads') unless it ties in to something you wish to ask/address OR if you're updating an old thread (better explained here).

That said, in my observation, again in the How-To forum, if you used the search function, found a similar thread but you still have something further to ask or address, it's better to start your own thread, especially if the original post was a few years back. The reason is that many many many many people will read the first post only and comment on that, or will lambast you for resurrecting a zombie thread. It's certainly okay to refer back to the old thread, but it is, in my not so humble opinion, better to just start your own for your unique question or concern after having search through the threads (the Blank Manual is a library of threads on different topics as is the FAQ) and haven't found an answer (it does get annoying when there are six different threads on penis size and how to eliminate hair). All we ask is some effort before we pile on our 0.02$ :D.

I'd like to emphasise that this generally in the How-To. The Playground is a bit fluffy, so a game thread could be usually resurrected. I am not sure the AM Pics, Author Hang-Out and BDSM culture (although I assume the latter is similar to the HT). I stay away from the General Board as they tend to use the skin of the newcomers to create sacrificial drums, so I really don't know there.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay :rose:

Each forum has its own unique culture, so what is acceptable in one is completely not in another. It does take some time to familiarise oneself, but I promise you that it's well worth the effort! :)

In the How-To, the general etiquette is that you don't revive old threads (also known as 'zombie threads') unless it ties in to something you wish to ask/address OR if you're updating an old thread (better explained here).

That said, in my observation, again in the How-To forum, if you used the search function, found a similar thread but you still have something further to ask or address, it's better to start your own thread, especially if the original post was a few years back. The reason is that many many many many people will read the first post only and comment on that, or will lambast you for resurrecting a zombie thread. It's certainly okay to refer back to the old thread, but it is, in my not so humble opinion, better to just start your own for your unique question or concern after having search through the threads (the Blank Manual is a library of threads on different topics as is the FAQ) and haven't found an answer (it does get annoying when there are six different threads on penis size and how to eliminate hair). All we ask is some effort before we pile on our 0.02$ :D.

I'd like to emphasise that this generally in the How-To. The Playground is a bit fluffy, so a game thread could be usually resurrected. I am not sure the AM Pics, Author Hang-Out and BDSM culture (although I assume the latter is similar to the HT). I stay away from the General Board as they tend to use the skin of the newcomers to create sacrificial drums, so I really don't know there.

(Slaps forehead!)

I was talking about the General Board!

Note that repeatedly bumping old dead threads is considered trolling and could actually get your account banned. You'd have to try really hard though to get to that point.

I'd say, use the search function for your topic. If you get 2,000 threads on that topic, then revive one of those threads. If you get 3 hits and the most recent was 2005, then create a new thread.

Thank you for the welcome and the sound advice, fire_breeze. I've certainly noticed different forums have different personalities, so to speak. I'll certainly keep that in mind before I jump in! Thanks for mentioning the great resources too :rose:

There will be some snarcasm...seems like there always is; ignore it.

I shall! Thank you!

Note that repeatedly bumping old dead threads is considered trolling and could actually get your account banned. You'd have to try really hard though to get to that point.

I'd say, use the search function for your topic. If you get 2,000 threads on that topic, then revive one of those threads. If you get 3 hits and the most recent was 2005, then create a new thread.

Thank you for the advice RawHumor, sounds like a good measure to use.

Don't answer questions that are more than a week or so old, and don't answer questions that have already been answered. Apply a bit of common sense and read a thread thoroughly and don't duplicate responses or reply to a poster that hasn't been around for years.

Go ahead and revive old threads when a dated or late response doesn't matter -- old game/humor threads, for example; the forums don't need a half-dozen joke threads or "humorous consecutive thread titles," for example.

Fuck the Old Timers who believe they own the place. They don't.

Good posts here.

One reason to revive a thread is when the context of the thread changes over a span of years, and it's interesting to see how mores have changed since then. Examples: gay marriage, public nudity, advances in medicine, and so on. A little perspective isn't a bad thing...

Yes, that! I've got common sense in spades (I think?), just want to understand the 'rules', if there are rules. I appreciate all of the friendly direction!

Every forum page has a link to the Forum rules to its bottom. Here are Lit Forum Guidelines, applicable to all Lit sub-forums:

http://www.literotica.com/support/forum_rules.shtml

Rule number 9: Flooding the forum with posts, screen-breaking text, or images - or bumping old threads - and/or any non-substantive activity with the intent of disrupting the forum is prohibited.

So yes, bumping old threads is prohibited but you can bump old threads like word games/humour threads/blurt threads etc. That is allowed. But don't go about posting monosyllabic responses to discussion threads which have been concluded long ago. People have banned before, and you can be banned too if you do it.

So tread with caution.

Good posts here.

One reason to revive a thread is when the context of the thread changes over a span of years, and it's interesting to see how mores have changed since then. Examples: gay marriage, public nudity, advances in medicine, and so on. A little perspective isn't a bad thing...

Thanks jehoram!

Every forum page has a link to the Forum rules to its bottom. Here are Lit Forum Guidelines, applicable to all Lit sub-forums:

Rule number 9: Flooding the forum with posts, screen-breaking text, or images - or bumping old threads - and/or any non-substantive activity with the intent of disrupting the forum is prohibited.

So yes, bumping old threads is prohibited but you can bump old threads like word games/humour threads/blurt threads etc. That is allowed. But don't go about posting monosyllabic responses to discussion threads which have been concluded long ago. People have banned before, and you can be banned too if you do it.

So tread with caution.

Interesting, when I first read Rule #9, the words that jumped out at me were "with the intent of disrupting the forum"... which makes perfect sense. I'm certainly not looking to disrupt anything! I guess that's the point, I wasn't sure what would be considered disrupting :)

It seems as though the takeaway message from all of this generous advice is it's better to start a new thread and reference any past ones that might be pertinent (the old standards of humor etc. aside). I'm cool with that, and it's easier for everyone, right? It can be tough to slog through pages of old posts...

Thanks again for all the great input! HT rocks! :kiss:

So tread with caution.

Did you bother to read the part about with the intent of disrupting the forum?
Of course you didn't. Youre so goddamned anal you love even half no-nos. I bet a lumberjack couldn't pound an icepick up your ass.

Almost forgot to thank you JBJ for your contribution. Every so often, fuck 'em is the appropriate response... but certainly not my nature.

Its my function here. Many forget we're here to have fun.

I think Weird Harold got it right. If an old thread is pulled back up simply to directly respond to a question/statement posed three years ago, it's worth a razz. Otherwise, if it's a substantive discussion, no reason not to see if there's new interest in it. A lot of the thread regurgitations are of the first variety, though.

I think Weird Harold got it right. If an old thread is pulled back up simply to directly respond to a question/statement posed three years ago, it's worth a razz. Otherwise, if it's a substantive discussion, no reason not to see if there's new interest in it. A lot of the thread regurgitations are of the first variety, though.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not looking at stuff too far back - I don't have the patience or time to go through all of that. Litsters are a prolific lot! It's fun to scan the thread titles a few pages back, but I'm not a compulsive sharer, so I'm generally not tempted by old questions/polls/etc. It's the more substantive discussions that interest me.

Back