FAQ's - Read Before Posting Help Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any code one can use to edit one's own Literotica profile to be more interesting? Like what if I want to add color or a photo to the background of my profile ? What if I want to change the text font or size on my profile here?

Thanks for your help.
 
Is there any code one can use to edit one's own Literotica profile to be more interesting? Like what if I want to add color or a photo to the background of my profile ? What if I want to change the text font or size on my profile here?

Thanks for your help.

Short answer:No.

Unlike a lot of other forums ve don't do dat here.
The forums are really only a secondary (maybe even a thirdry) concern here, so not much is done to liven things up (although we did get three new smilies last year).
The stories and the ppv stuff is where most improvements are centred and occasionally we experience a knock on effect but that's about it.
 
Thank you

If you've ever tried to look for a specific story using Literotica's Story Search function, you've probably found the experience fairly lacking. The major shortcoming of Story Search is that it only scans through the keywords that the author has provided, not the entire text of the story. However, you can simply use Google as a very capable and powerful search tool. The key is to use the site: operator to restrict the search to only those pages that are a part of Literotica. For example:
site:literotica.com
If you want to search only in a particular category, include the string "index : category name" (make sure you include the surrounding quote marks, and there's one space on either side of the colon). For example, to search in the Mature category, you might use:
site:literotica.com "index : mature"
Why does this work? If you take a look at the upper left hand corner of any story, you'll see a string starting with "index : " and the name of the category. If you think the story might be in more than one category, you can use the OR operator (Google's Help page says OR must be uppercase):
site:literotica.com ("index : mature" OR "index : incest")
For searching forum messages, include the string "Literotica Discussion Board" instead of "index : category name":
site:literotica.com "Literotica Discussion Board"
If you know one or more words in the title, you can use the intitle: operator. For example, if you think Happy Birthday is in the title, you can use:
site:literotica.com intitle:happy intitle:birthday

The more unique and exact words or phrases you can include in your search, the more refined your search will be. The names of characters, places or things will give you the best results.

If you're finding that your search is returning too many hits, you can exclude the ones which have a certain word or phrase by putting a minus sign (hyphen) in front of it. For example, a search in the Incest category with the name Jake returns 88 hits. You remember that the story didn't have the word "sisters" in it, so you can refine the search by using:
site:literotica.com "index : incest" Jake -sisters
Here are some sample searches:
Search for stories in the Incest category where the name Heather appears.
Search for a story with a babysitter and New York in the story
Find a story in either the Group Sex or Interracial categories where the word Japanese and girlfriend appears
Search the forums for messages containing Japanese and girlfriend
Look for a story in the Lesbian Sex category where a character is a widow

Caveats:
Google only looks for single pages that contain all of the search phrases. This can be a problem with some of the longer stories on Literotica that span several pages. For example, if you're looking for an Incest story where the main character has sex with his mom and his Aunt Jenny, Google won't return a hit on that story if the scene with mom is on page 1 and the one with the aunt is on page 3. Likewise with multi-part/multi-chapter stories.

Sometimes when you click on a link to a story, you'll get redirected to the Literotica story index instead of the actual story. Usually that's due to the story no longer being posted (possibly the author has asked Literotica to take the story down). You can sometimes see at least one cached page of the story by clicking the Cached link.

Try synonyms if you can't remember the exact word used in the story. For example, if you can't remember if the story took place on a boat, ship or yacht, you should try all three:
Search for stories where margaritas are served. The story takes place on a boat, ship or yacht.

Along the same line, be careful to avoid generic descriptions. For example, suppose you vaguely remember that the story involved a woman giving the main character a blowjob. You could try searching on the phrase "she gave him a blowjob," but if that's not the exact phrase used in the story, you won't get a hit on it. It could have been written "she sucked on his cock" or "she took me in her mouth" (if it's a story told in the first person), so you may need to try many different variations of the phrase.

Happy hunting!

This was very helpful. Thank you, very much!:eek:
 
uhhhh...

Any suggestions on how to find a story with a celebrity?
Say, for instance, I'm looking for a story containing porn starlet, Sasha Grey; how do I go about finding that?
 
Attach picture to PM

I have looked but I cannot find an answer. Could you advise me how to attach a picture to a PM. Thanks.
 
I have looked but I cannot find an answer. Could you advise me how to attach a picture to a PM. Thanks.

You can't attach pics to PMs, but you can insert images that are hosted online into them (just as you would with a post). The instructions for inserting hosted images/hotlinking are in this post.

But because the PM recipient won't have a choice on viewing your image (like they would if it were attached), do make sure you use some discretion when you insert images into your messages (or anywhere else, for that matter).
 
Okay, so I'm over a thousands posts, I read how to change my title to a custom title, but I'm still not finding the title field in the "edit profile" options to change it... am I missing something ??


Never mind, option finally showed up over 1,005 posts. Whatever ?? :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Literotica favorite author feature

Hey there. Long-time Literotica reader, but just recently actually joined. I read through all the FAQs but didn't see this question addressed.

I used to just bookmark all my favorite authors, and then tediously check them one by one for new story submissions.

Now that I've actually created an account I can mark an author as a "favorite", but what does that actually *do*? I know it shows the list on my members page, but will it notify me somehow when one of my authors submits a new story?

The favorites screen says I can have 10 favorite authors, but I already have 14 and it hadn't complained. What's the *real* limit?

Thanks,

George
 
Hey there. Long-time Literotica reader, but just recently actually joined. I read through all the FAQs but didn't see this question addressed.

I used to just bookmark all my favorite authors, and then tediously check them one by one for new story submissions.

Now that I've actually created an account I can mark an author as a "favorite", but what does that actually *do*? I know it shows the list on my members page, but will it notify me somehow when one of my authors submits a new story?

The favorites screen says I can have 10 favorite authors, but I already have 14 and it hadn't complained. What's the *real* limit?

Thanks,

George

Actually, I have no idea.
 
Help with a pic?

You can't attach pics to PMs, but you can insert images that are hosted online into them (just as you would with a post). The instructions for inserting hosted images/hotlinking are in this post.

But because the PM recipient won't have a choice on viewing your image (like they would if it were attached), do make sure you use some discretion when you insert images into your messages (or anywhere else, for that matter).

SweetErika - thanks for your help - this is all more confusing than I would have guessed. I was trying to send a pic in a PM, which I've now learned can't be done as an attachment - but can be sent with a link to another online location. Here's my question: What site(s) can you recommend for "storing" a pic or two? I don't want to post them publicly - I'm just trying to send a couple of photos to a friend.

Thanks!
 
SweetErika - thanks for your help - this is all more confusing than I would have guessed. I was trying to send a pic in a PM, which I've now learned can't be done as an attachment - but can be sent with a link to another online location. Here's my question: What site(s) can you recommend for "storing" a pic or two? I don't want to post them publicly - I'm just trying to send a couple of photos to a friend.

Thanks!

You're very welcome. :)

Personally, I'm partial to Picasa for image hosting because it's easy to use and doesn't restrict images or websites, like Photobucket and Imageshack. I use it to host and share all of my pics; the family-friendly ones can be separated from the racier ones that I want to keep to myself or only share with certain people by making albums public (as in anyone you give the link to your account can see them) or private (which can only be viewed by you and those you invite or link to directly).

If you decide to go the Picasa route, you can upload your images, then right-click to copy the image location and finally click the
insertimage.gif
icon to insert the image in your PM or post.

However, if you don't want to set up an account anywhere, you might want to use one of the online hosts that doesn't require registration. You can find them by googling 'free image hosting no registration' or similar. I did that for a long time, but finally found it easier to store my photos online via Picasa (after I tried Flickr and checked out a few others).
 
You must have at least 100 posts for an avatar.

Once you've reached 100, you may have to wait a few hours for the system to update. Then:
1) Log out of Lit
2) Clear your temporary internet files/cache
3) Close your browser (if you use multiple browsers, tabs, or windows, close them all)
4) Come back to Lit and log in
5) Go to the User CP>Edit Avatar
6) Refresh the page.
7) Click the Browse button, and upload the file.

***Your image can't be more than 150 pixels in the largest dimension or greater than 15.0 kb, whichever is smaller. If you need image editing/resizing/management software, many people here recommend a free program called Irfanview. You can also use a program called GIMP, which is like a free version of Photoshop for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.

I do everything that is listed here, however when I log back on and go to CP there is no Edit Avatar option. ?????





NM I got it to work on my laptop
 
Last edited:
New to the forum, but not to this site ... Just wanted to say that I LITEROTICA thanks evetone for makon it great
 
New to the forum, but not to this site ... Just wanted to say that I LITEROTICA thanks evetone for makin it great
 
Loading Images into Post

Concerning Loading Images into Posts:

Okay, so I read all the FAQs about uploading images directly into my post, not attaching.

I have a pics/art collection that over the years I have saved from a variety of forums and websites directly to my computer. I doubt I will ever find some of these online again.

MY QUESTION: how can I put the images on my computer online, such that they are then hosted, such that I can then use them here in my "Write With Me" writer's challenge?

Any ideas? I am desperate. I so wanted to do some collaborative writing based upon some of my most favorite images.

Help
WriteWithMe
 
Control Panel Question: Newest to Oldest

How do I change my settings so that posts will always be listed newest to oldest? Is this possible.

When I originally started my account, I was asked whether I wanted to list the posts oldest to newest or vise versa. I selected oldest to newest, which I wish to change. Can I? I can't find the place to do this.

Help,
WriteWithMe
 
How do I change my settings so that posts will always be listed newest to oldest? Is this possible.

When I originally started my account, I was asked whether I wanted to list the posts oldest to newest or vise versa. I selected oldest to newest, which I wish to change. Can I? I can't find the place to do this.

Help,
WriteWithMe

Click on User CP then select Edit Options scroll down to Thread Display Options and select from the drop down box.


attachment.php

As for your other problem, do a search for free image hosting, find the one that suits your needs and start uploading.

Try posting in the Authors forum to find other writers to collaborate with.
 

Attachments

  • Threadoptions.jpg
    Threadoptions.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 331
Is there any way to do a search of FORUM members by state and any other criteria? I know the main Literotica site has an adult search but it winds up bringing up lots of people who may post (or read) stories but who never post in the forums.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top