Shave down there - for women

itstiffanyy

Experienced
I have super sensitive skin, and I am trying to find a way to shave down their without as much irritation. I have a super hard time. Any suggestions?

This question gets asked a lot and has been answered with many helpful comments, links, and products. The best advice would be to look at the blank manual posted at the top of the page, and to use the search feature and look for "shaving" and various other terms for genital grooming.

If all else fails, post a picture and we'll walk you through it ... ;)

Don't shave.

I have very sensitive skin and made the mistake of shaving down below when very young and have been regretting it ever since.

Eventually my skin built up a "tolerance" but now and then I get a shaving rash and/or ingrowing hairs (which pretty much anyone can get) But with having my sensitive skin (and Psoriasis) It was made a hell of alot worse.

I would recommend professional waxing.

I get waxed as often as possible but usually end up having to cancel my appointment as I can't stand to let it grow for more than a few days!

I get waxed as often as possible but usually end up having to cancel my appointment as I can't stand to let it grow for more than a few days!

Then you may want to look into laser hair removal. According to fellow Litizens who've had it done, it's cheaper in the long run than waxing, and makes for permanent results. Even if you quit before reaching the end of the treatment, hair regrowth is significantly diminished after each session.

Then you may want to look into laser hair removal. According to fellow Litizens who've had it done, it's cheaper in the long run than waxing, and makes for permanent results. Even if you quit before reaching the end of the treatment, hair regrowth is significantly diminished after each session.

I can't get laser removal without the disk of permanent damage.

(Severe)

I cant seem to get waxed without getting follicalitis which is VERY painful and really gross :( :( :( Ive tried three different waxing places!

Shaving leaves me with a rash and ingrown hairs the next day so I suppose I just have to continue choosing the days I shave very carefully and sparsely...

I have super sensitive skin, and I am trying to find a way to shave down their without as much irritation. I have a super hard time. Any suggestions?

Go to any adult type store, theres a special product just for this very area. It's called coochie something. I forget the rest. But, you DO build up a tolerance after doing it for yrs.

I've tried many of the suggestions that are in the blank manual and I always end up with an irritating, bumping rash.

I've learned that I can shave my vaginal lips with no irritation, so that stays nice and smooth with a regular razor.

The area directly above, I guess where the "landing strip" would be, is the part that I absolutely cannot shave. So, I leave a trimmed patch of hair. I have a great body hair trimmer that works pretty darn well. It's marketed for men but I bought it and it works great. It's the Philips Norelco BodyGroom.

I take off the guard completely to trim up close to the patch. I use the side with the mesh covering to get the rest of "top" part.

I think as long as the lips are smooth and not stubbly, most men (men who like it shaved) would be happy.

wax, or sugar.

i have very dry skin - shaving my legs is the worst (but to combat that, I buy the oil and cream from the Art of Shaving and it seems to work).

Anyway - sugaring is more gentle on your skin than waxing.

While regrowth isn't my favorite, it doesnt bother me enough to stop with my routine. every 4 weeks (or 3 if it's a special occasion) and i'm set.

I've tried many of the suggestions that are in the blank manual and I always end up with an irritating, bumping rash.

I've learned that I can shave my vaginal lips with no irritation, so that stays nice and smooth with a regular razor.

The area directly above, I guess where the "landing strip" would be, is the part that I absolutely cannot shave. So, I leave a trimmed patch of hair. I have a great body hair trimmer that works pretty darn well. It's marketed for men but I bought it and it works great. It's the Philips Norelco BodyGroom.

I take off the guard completely to trim up close to the patch. I use the side with the mesh covering to get the rest of "top" part.

I think as long as the lips are smooth and not stubbly, most men (men who like it shaved) would be happy.
I'm EXACTLY the same way!

The shaving routine definitely makes a difference. I use a Schick Quattro Power razor, King of Shaves gel and shave at the end of my shower, rinsing every couple of strokes, AFTER I've let the water run over the area and exfoliated the skin (exfoliation is critical to preventing ingrown hairs and razor burn).

If I think I might have some irritation, I put on some hydrocortisone cream when I get out of the shower. I also don't wear panties that are really tight or synthetic most of the time, and use laundry products that don't irritate my skin.

After a few weeks of shaving daily or every other day, the skin adjusts.

I've never had an ingrown hair or any other problems using this routine. If I use the wrong razor, shaving product or shave without the skin being warm and exfoliated, it's irritation city!

Does the waxing hurt less when you have it done rather than doing it yourself? I had a horrible time doing it myself!
I usually just shave, it's easy and does not hurt.

Waxing is the way to go if you can go through with it.

If you're set on shaving, grab some gel and shave with the grain when possible. If you have a boyfriend or significant other, get them to help where reach becomes an issue.

The main tips:
Trim beforehand with some scissors.
Shower before shaving.
Keep your razor clean.
Use shave gel. (I like Gilette's M3 Gel, but I'm a guy.)
Use only hot water to clean your razor between strokes.

I'm EXACTLY the same way!

The shaving routine definitely makes a difference. I use a Schick Quattro Power razor, King of Shaves gel and shave at the end of my shower, rinsing every couple of strokes, AFTER I've let the water run over the area and exfoliated the skin (exfoliation is critical to preventing ingrown hairs and razor burn).

If I think I might have some irritation, I put on some hydrocortisone cream when I get out of the shower. I also don't wear panties that are really tight or synthetic most of the time, and use laundry products that don't irritate my skin.

After a few weeks of shaving daily or every other day, the skin adjusts.

I've never had an ingrown hair or any other problems using this routine. If I use the wrong razor, shaving product or shave without the skin being warm and exfoliated, it's irritation city!

I agree with both of these ladies.......Just some history involved while explaining my current routine.......Okay, my first Hubby asked me to shave bald after about a year. So, I did. I hated it and told him so. He never went down on me orally so I never saw the problem. So, we compromised and I trimmed my hair very neatly.

Then, I met my Current Hubby/Lover and I was still just trimming very neatly and close. Current Hubby/Lover actually went down on me. He said my hair was coarse and strong (I'm Native American[not sure if that has anything to do with it]). He said even though I trimmed it irratated his tongue and mouth. So, I decided to shave my lips and trim the above hair as usual. I also like to keep some hair because I am a woman and I believe I earned the right to have hair. Only girls are bald.......I went through puberty and have my annual exams and also sex so therefore I have hair like a woman should have.......I veered a bit off course.....For comfort when I first started shaving my lips for my current Hubby/Lover I used Conditioner(like I used on my hair) to soak my pubic hair and skin for a bit before I shaved. I also used a new razor almost everytime until my skin down there got accustomed and I change my razor just maybe once a week or some times less.......Okay that's in the winter. I don't shave my legs in winter. In summer and spring i change my razor maybe every couple or three days at the most. Maybe I should exfoliate down there like Sweet Erika does and get some extra comfort..........But to each Bush their own..............It's all personal. Hope you get some comfort no matter what technique you choose.

Pocohontas, I'm not sure what kind of razor you use, but I found my legs and armpits don't need any more than a double blade, and thus a cheaper razor than I use on my pussy.

Like I said, I use the Schick Quattro Power on my pubic area, but I ONLY use it for that. I use a completely different razor for everything else. The Quattro cartridges are expensive (though there are often coupons in the paper, drug store and rebates, so I stock up then), but they last a long time when I'm shaving such a small area and basically just maintaining the shave (rather than starting from scratch). I clean them well to prevent bacterial infections, but I'd say they usually last a couple of weeks, and even then, they're fine to shave my legs! To be fair, I don't have a lot of hair or very coarse hair.

So, you might consider dedicating one razor to your pussy (a good one) and another to everywhere else. I simply can't get by with cheaper razors on my pussy - I always end up with nicks or irritation, which is something I've never gotten with the Quattro. For me, this is more economical AND it yields much better results. :)

Sweet E - I hope you don't mind a nosy question. What do you use for exfoliation? I have one of those back scrubber brushes, but dislike the feeling of it in that area - :eek:. Any product endorsements -:D?

Sweet E - I hope you don't mind a nosy question. What do you use for exfoliation? I have one of those back scrubber brushes, but dislike the feeling of it in that area - :eek:. Any product endorsements -:D?

A bath pouf, which is the same thing I use everywhere else. I dislike things that don't dry between showers, but I've used a washcloth when traveling before. Bath gloves, a loofah (once I had one w/ a strap on the back, so it slipped over the hand, or even some baking soda will work. It depends on what your skin can handle.

I have one of those back brushes, too, and it's definitely too stiff and not the right texture for exfoliating that area. Yeowch! :eek:

Does the waxing hurt less when you have it done rather than doing it yourself? I had a horrible time doing it myself!
I usually just shave, it's easy and does not hurt.

Yes. I found it very difficult to hold the skin taunt while quickly lifting the strip. Add the challenge of not being able to see what you are doing and it resulted in more pain than was necessary. I'd recommend the waxing route.

I'm actually considering the laser hair removal option this year.

I can second a lot of the advice on here, just make sure you maintain all that hard work. Ingrown hair and razor burn really blow and takes it from super sexy to flaming ball of hurt in no time. Penchant Bare [found it on Amazon] seems to work like a charm for me and keeps that nice clean shave look without the hurt.

Hi,

Just a side not laser is not permanent it's actually temporary but once you have at least one full course the hair takes a lot longer to grow back. However you still need occasional top up sessions once every few months.

I have had laser treatment on my underarms and it's by far the most painful experience of my life as at each session they increase the intensity. But it's over quickly.

Now to my experiences of other hair removal:

My recommendation for hair removal is waxing. I have been waxing for 12 years now; legs and bikini or specifically Brazilian. Bikini area is not painful, the hair grows back very soft, no ingrown hairs and now I have patches where no hair grows.

The area should be done with a hot wax - it's applied with a spatula and peeled off. No strips. I like the ones with tea tra oil as they are soothing too.

Get it done professionally at least on the first few occasions and always if you are going completely bare, it's easier, less messy and they do a better job then I could do!

If you really want to shave get a razor that is designed specifically for the area.

I am very sensitive and found hair removal creams burnt my skin literally.

Good luck

Last edited:
O_O This is one hell of a zombie thread.

I don't intend to help the OP (not sure they're around anymore), but this is a pretty common question so I'll put in my experience and knowledge.

Shaving
This is the most convenient method at home because it's usually what is introduced first for your legs, underarms, beard etc. Unlike with men who often get a healthy slap of aftershave, women typically get the "shave like this and moisturize and you're done." Aftershave has an important purpose, it's not the nice smell part. There's usually alcohol in aftershave that stings (you slap to negate the sting) which helps to kill bacteria on the area. When you shave you pretty much open micro wounds that are extra sensitive to infection which is typically how you end up with angry bumpy skin. After shaving use something soothing that will clean at the same time. I'm a fan of witch hazel because it cleans and soothes and leaves my skin smooth.
If shaving is your go to:

1. A warm water soak to open the pores and soften the hair is best
2. Use a good cream or oil to help the blade glide over the skin easily (I like an oil/sugar scrub to exfoliate and moisturize)
3. Shave with the direction (not against) of hair growth (this isn't the closet shave but will save you some irritation
4. Slap on some aftershave
5. Moisturize

Waxing
Waxing is more tricky, but still doable at home. I'm not a fan of having a sore neck and trying to figure out which way the hair is growing so I have normally paid someone to do it for me. The money is worth it in my opinion. I can spend an hour making a mess and missing spots (home Brazilian waxing :eek:) or I can spend $40-60 to have someone else do it in around 15 minutes. With waxing, if it's your first time, take an anti-inflammatory pain killer a half hour to an hour before your appointment to lower the pain and inflammation during and after. The pain isn't that bad, especially if your waxer goes through breathing technique with you (mine knows all the really painful spots and tells me when to take a deep breath when she pulls the strip). After waxing keep the area clean and dry and be prepared for something red and puffy for the first 24 hours (time varies by person but don't think you'll get waxed and go straight to the beach :cringe: ). In a couple of days feel free to exfoliate the area, this is important because it will help with ingrown hairs. Even with the professional putting on a soothing gel, I still like using the witch hazel on the area because it helps calm the area and keep it clean. This lasts anywhere from 2-5 weeks and will require a re-growth period because the hair needs to be long enough for the wax to grab it.

Epilation

Epil-what? Epilation is pretty cool. It's essentially tweezing the hairs off. I'm brand new to the epilation crowd but so far it's the cheapest and most effective method I've had the chance to experience. And I'm not suggesting you get a pair a tweezers and go to town. I use an epilator which is a nifty little tool like an electric shaver but instead of blades it has tweezers. Basically waxing meets electric shaver. It isn't a pleasant experience so I suggest getting a pro waxing for the first time before using the epilator. Epilation lasts as long as waxing but doesn't require much of a regrowth period because it actually works better on shorter (stubble) hair. Much like waxing you'll need some time for the redness to subside so don't do this an hour before an event. Use the aftershave and moisturizer just like with shaving or waxing. Exfoliate every couple of days to ensure the hairs don't get trapped under the skin causing ingrown hair. This is also convenient because you can do it anytime and it doesn't require an appointment with a pro.

With both waxing and epilation the hair will grow back slower and will be a finer texture that just gets easier and less painful to do each time. :)

As for laser hair removal, I have not experienced this and can only say that the cost is not suitable for me as the outcome is not a guarantee. Regrowth varies person to person but typically it will come back in a matter of years.

Hope some of this info helps someone. Angry bits is just no fun.

I used to have the same problem. Mainly because I had to use conditioner since I am allergic to shaving cream... But I've since learned a little trick. I went a bought coconut oil, bath gloves, and an exfoliating bath wash. I wash myself with regular body wash and cold water. I then use the coconut oil as a type of shaving cream, its natural and has absolutely no chemicals in it to irritate the skin and it helps soften the hair. Also make sure then when you do shave, shave slowly, if you rush the shaving you may not only cut yourself but that is one of the causes of razor burn... After you've shaved then put on the bath gloves and get out the exfoliating bath wash, clean the area you shaved, then rinse with cold water. The exfoliating bath wash gets rid of the oily feeling and ensures that the pores and follicles have absolutely nothing hiding in them so you shouldn't get a rash or little infected hairs, the cold water closes the pores so nothing can get back in. I recommend the shaving happen AFTER you wash your hair and the rest of you. Hope this helps you a little bit.

If your guy/gurl is uber particular about whether you're shaved or not than he/she no doubt has other expectations. Unless you're worried about your pooter area being aesthetically pleasing for yourself just stick to what's comfortable for you:)

Last edited:
It should very much be noted -- as someone touched on already here -- if you are very fair-skinned and light blonde (like me), you may not be a candidate for waxing. I was so disappointed when I first went and the clinician said "uh, what do you want me to do with this baby-fine blonde hair?"

Same sort of issue with laser -- works best on darker or coarser hairs. So, my advice is a very, very good razor and lots of after-care: moisturizing, witch hazel, etc. as has been discussed here in the shaving sections. I like to keep very smooth and sleek and it is possible with a good razor.

Back