I was rejected... Now what?

InkWell12

Virgin
Ummm my first submission was rejected. Reason? "Making my Characters talk" HELLOOO I used quotation marks, I am noooo novice at grammar...
WTH??

I DID have help from an editor, they (not sure if he/she) said it all looked good.

Can I submit here for a fresh eye??

Thanks.

For whatever reason, this is the most caught grammar error on Lit that results in a rejection. Maybe it's a pet peeve of Laurel's.

Check your sections with dialogue. Make sure all the punctuation is within the quotes.

"Hello," I said.

Not:

"Hello", I said.

And the reason there's a comma there is that when a sentence inside the quote would end with a period, you replace it with a comma.

For question marks and exclamation marks, you use them, and make sure they're inside the quotes.

"What?" he asked.

"Fuck!" I screamed.

Do a "Find" in your text editor for the quotation marks, and scrutinize the end of each quotation for those sort of problems. Odds are that's where it is, and it may even be one or two finger-slips early in the document. Only one person is approving all the stories each day ( as many as 70+ ) so they're only getting skimmed.

Ummm my first submission was rejected. Reason? "Making my Characters talk" HELLOOO I used quotation marks, I am noooo novice at grammar...
WTH??

I DID have help from an editor, they (not sure if he/she) said it all looked good.

Can I submit here for a fresh eye??

Thanks.

As Bard said, why don't you post a sample of your dialogue here? Someone can likely tell you if anything is wrong. If you don't want to use an excerpt from your story, type up some dummy dialogue the way you normally would, and post that.

Or if you'd like, send me a PM (private message); I can give you an email to send to, and I can look it over.

As Bard said, why don't you post a sample of your dialogue here? Someone can likely tell you if anything is wrong. If you don't want to use an excerpt from your story, type up some dummy dialogue the way you normally would, and post that.

Or if you'd like, send me a PM (private message); I can give you an email to send to, and I can look it over.

Yes, thank you. I would love to email you... This is my first erotica ever!!! I mostly write women's lit, lol.

Yes, thank you. I would love to email you... This is my first erotica ever!!! I mostly write women's lit, lol.

If you enable your private messages, I can give you my email. Go to User CP in the upper left of this page, then scroll down to Edit Options on the left, then click to enable private messages on the next page under "Messages & Notifications."

If you enable your private messages, I can give you my email. Go to User CP in the upper left of this page, then scroll down to Edit Options on the left, then click to enable private messages on the next page under "Messages & Notifications."

Done. Sorry to get back so late, I was working these past few days...

Back