In a Sunburned Country Story Event: Official Support Thread

Would Clint Eastwood do? He may not be intentionally comical, but he does seem to fit the stereotypes
Don't really think so. We've not associated America with cowboys since cowboy movies died as a genre in the seventies, and even then, an Italian director aced the game with They Call me Trinity and Trinity is Still My Name - two great, comedic, spaghetti westerns.
 
Lots and lots of nothing, too.

To answer your other question about the great American cliches (the equivalent of Paul Hogan):
- loud, obnoxious American tourists in Hawaiian shirts, usually Californians,
- Texans wearing hats with the brims turned up at the side so they can sit three abreast in a pick-up truck,
- large, obnoxious American tourists in... wait, that's all we see here, being bussed around from cruise ships, looking for kangaroos and koalas.
There's a reason behind the drop-bear mythology, the way it's developed - it's to make the place quieter ;).

It's interesting how large Texans loom in the popular international image of Americans. Texas is a very distinct and atypical American state in a lot of ways. It's the only American state that briefly was a separate country. The Texas accent is very different from that of most Americans. Not quite southern. Not quite western. The "standard" American accent is what you hear news broadcasters speak, across the country. That's the accent I grew up with. The Texas accent is quite different from that.

I've often thought of the Australian accent, in a way, as the Texas version of the British accent. Start with the British accent, then add healthy doses of informality, twang, drawl, and swagger. You end up with Australian.
 
If I'm not mistaken, Texas is a Republic as well as a state. It is the only state that can legally fly it's state flag at the same height as the national flag.

Back in the day when i was in Australia, I did noticed the the women there paid more attention to Texans and southerner in general. I think it was the manners more than anything.
 
Is there an American equivalent to Paul Hogan? A comical representative of the country? I can't think of one but that might be because I'm American.

I think I would put up someone like Will Smith as having that crocodile Dundee factor for Americans.

In interviews and such he is loud, obnoxious, funny and in peoples faces but also able to laugh at himself. In movies, he often has over the top patriotism and that do or die persona Americans seem to like to radiate. Even though he can be annoying with some things he is still ultimately likable and I guess that's the key.

While we Aussies may groan at the stereotypical Hoges sayings and humor, Paul Hogan will always be seen as the little battler who made good and that likeability allows us to forgive him for being a wanker most of the time.
 
I think it's worth reporting that, evidently, a mob of hungry kangaroos have descended upon Canberra and are making quite a mess of things. I didn't know until today that a group of kangaroos is called a "mob."
 
I think it's worth reporting that, evidently, a mob of hungry kangaroos have descended upon Canberra and are making quite a mess of things. I didn't know until today that a group of kangaroos is called a "mob."
I lived in Canberra for a decade - leaving work every summer evening, there would be a herd of twenty or thirty roos lounging around on the grass between the building and the car-park.

A major source of business for panel beaters was cars hit by a big grey crossing one of the expressways - he'd often as not just shake himself off and go on his way. Cars always came off second best.

Our politicians, en masse, also travel in mobs...
 
I lived in Canberra for a decade - leaving work every summer evening, there would be a herd of twenty or thirty roos lounging around on the grass between the building and the car-park.

A major source of business for panel beaters was cars hit by a big grey crossing one of the expressways - he'd often as not just shake himself off and go on his way. Cars always came off second best.

Our politicians, en masse, also travel in mobs...

"Panel beaters?"

I re-read that but still can't figure it out.
 
"Panel beaters?"

I re-read that but still can't figure it out.
It's what we call car wreck repairers - back in the day many steel body parts were just hammered back into shape, hence "panel beating".

Chloe Tzang knows all about this - she had lessons in panel-vans - utes with great slabs of panel over the cargo tray, so dads couldn't see their daughters on their backs inside Google Holden Sandman for Oz surf wheels.
 
Chloe Tzang knows all about this - she had lessons in panel-vans - utes with great slabs of panel over the cargo tray, so dads couldn't see their daughters on their backs inside Google Holden Sandman for Oz surf wheels.

WTF.

My simple, culturally limited American brain has no idea what the fuck you are saying.

But hey, you seem like a good guy so I'll take your word for it. So what the fuck does Chloe not know?
 
My simple, culturally limited American brain has no idea what the fuck you are saying.

But hey, you seem like a good guy so I'll take your word for it.

And MY simple, culturally limited American brain is actually trying to co-write a story with him. SMH. But no, EB is a good guy and usually pads his more obscure Ozie-isms with plenty of context for us yanks. Just don't bring up lamb chops. It's a sore subject for some reason.
 
And MY simple, culturally limited American brain is actually trying to co-write a story with him. SMH. But no, EB is a good guy and usually pads his more obscure Ozie-isms with plenty of context for us yanks. Just don't bring up lamb chops. It's a sore subject for some reason.

Lamb chops? How about lambs fry? I'm not sure if it's Aussie but I saw it on the menu in a bar in New Zealand and ordered it. Much laughter from kiwis we were talking too in bar. Even more laughter when it arrived and I'm going "lamb? This is lamb?" It was actually quite nice. Just NOT what I expected. And don't get me started on Mountain Oysters. All I can say is, kiwis are very unique! And so are Aussies. In a rotflmao way mostly.
 
Ahhhh yes, the noble Rocky Mountain Oyster.

They used to serve those in my college cafeteria. I wonder whether they still do.

So I’ve made a start on this one; first thing I’ve written since March, and I’m trying it on an iPad. Which is not edifying. I need my laptop back.

But the muse would not be denied.
 
Seriously??? Words fail me. That just seems soooo ewwwww!

Okay guys, DO NOT look. Mountain Oysters au naturale....

And other food you would NOT believe. I mean, PIGS NIPPLES?OMG next time I go to New Zealand I am so checking out this Hokitika Wild Foods Festival thing. I'm part chinese. Everyone knows chinese will eat anything.

If you are a little reluctant to devour a ‘dick on a stick’ (pigs penis) or wolf down a Mountain Oyster Sandwich (Sheep’s Testicles) there are less feral options to try. There’s plenty of venison, rabbit, wallaby, pork or goat meat which are a little closer to the ‘conventional’ and not so hard on the psyche. Local seafood, paua, tuna and salmon were also a huge hit with the crowd.

mountain-oysters-best.jpg


Uh, on second thoughts, pass me the pork back ribs, guys. The cooked ones... I'm not THAT chinese. :eek:

I have to see if Australia has anything similar. If they do, it's in my story and don't be shy. Take it and use it with my compliments....
 
Pshh! If I'm going to eat something out there, I'm going all out, like these guy

LOL one of the comments below the video:


Nathan White
6 months ago

"I would totally eat a human, but only if it was battery farmed. Free roaming humans get up to too much business, unhygienic."
 
Last edited:
Local seafood, paua, tuna and salmon were also a huge hit with the crowd.

I have to see if Australia has anything similar. If they do, it's in my story and don't be shy. Take it and use it with my compliments....

One of my fondest memories of Australia is of their 'bugs', Moreton Bay Bugs, which aren't really bugs; they're a type of slipper lobster. Delicious! :)
 
Love reading the banter about my country. I'm from the west but have been all over the place. Regionally there are some large differences.

Adding to all that has been said so far, backpackers and predominantly UK and European tourists have spread out all over the country area having a year down here. You can imagine all the farmers and local lads get pretty happy at seeing some extra females around the place, and a lot of the saucier stories that you hear these days often involve a tourist or two.

Aussies are pretty quick to get their clothes off, whether it be the beach or some other occasion. You often find various calendars by students or womens knitting groups etc with them all sitting around nude doing things, in order to create a calendar and fund raise. If you have instagram, you can find our rural settings and lads and lasses doing farm work nude by looking at the.naked.farmer which is all about getting naked to fight rural depression and suicide. I did some pro bono work for them not long ago but they have a really fun following of farmers that flash.

Holden Sandman panel vans.... may have been found on my back in a few of them years ago!! The Ute has just about had its day now that production has stopped, but their importance at Bachelor & Spinsters Balls in the country for half time circle work cannot be overstated.

We call each other Mate, because we have selective memories and can't remember names to save ourselves. Hence, go out bush, especially in the north and rural Queensland and everyone is a Mate or a Love. You do have to remember to talk slower to Queenslanders but the reverse is you can fall off the chair waiting for the punchline.

The Battle of Brisbane was real. We have had similar over here in Fremantle when we used to have the 5th Fleet parked at the port. Families would host a sailor for the week and girls would all head to the bars and clubs down there. Host visits like that got canned after 9/11 but we still have all the navy visits and Special Forces bases here. The mighty SAS Regiment's base borders on Australia's largest nude beach here in Perth so you can imagine the sights when the boys come out of the surf in their scuba gear and strip off after practicing raiding ships offshore.

Now it is illegal in Australia to discriminate against women, so anywhere it is acceptable for men to take off their shirt women can too. Hence topless beaches are a given, and they can only sign post no nude bathing. But there are plenty of nude beaches, and most outback beaches outside city limits are do what you want. Except Queensland.

Up until two months ago we held the world record for the most people skinny dipping at one event, in Perth. The Hobart crowd down in Tasmania have a winter solstice skinny dip. There is a skinny dip event at one of the Sydney harbour nude beaches in the middle of the city. BTW if you are in Perth in February lend your nakedness to helping us take the record back from the Irish girls who added another thousand to our record.

On the defense side of things if thats how you base stories, lets not forget Pine Gap, Nurrungar, North West Cape Harold Holt VLF. Go down the wrong road near these, or the over the horizon radar bases and Echelon arrays in WA and QLD and you will soon meet a black SUV and people pointing guns in very non-friendly ways. Maybe you can use the nuclear test sites of Maralinga and Monte Belo Islands as a site for mutated koalas. Or the USAF and RAF people that are NOT at Woomera testing area.

Yell out if you need any ideas or sounding boards.
 
...
Uh, on second thoughts, pass me the pork back ribs, guys. The cooked ones... I'm not THAT chinese. :eek:

I have to see if Australia has anything similar. If they do, it's in my story and don't be shy. Take it and use it with my compliments....

I'm guessing that no ones told you about witchetty grubs or green ants bums then? Of course if you're hanging with the real locals, dugong or turtle could be on the menu. Or you could go the safe option of kangaroo, emu or crocodile.
 
I'm guessing that no ones told you about witchetty grubs or green ants bums then? Of course if you're hanging with the real locals, dugong or turtle could be on the menu. Or you could go the safe option of kangaroo, emu or crocodile.
We had to do cultural assimilation with some of the local groups as part of a mining operation. A week in the bush living a traditional lifestyle. There are a few things that taste like greasy chicken. Bungarra (race horse goanna) is probably the better of them. Witchetty Grubs or Bardi Grubs taste like cheese sauce. Warm is better than straight up. Kangaroo is pretty gamey depending on the parts.
You can get crocodile sashimi in Wyndham and Broome. Off with the head, chop slice and then dip it raw into soy sauce and eat. Fresh tastes a lot different to packaged croc meat.

Actually on the subject of salt water crocodiles, who along with Great White Sharks are probably the only apex predator we have here, some of the 80 year old plus ones that reach 8 meters long are thrill killers. They kill things then let the body go in the water so that their harem of young females have things to eat. Once that graduates to the town or camp dogs the threat of them taking people increases so they have to be caught and moved elsewhere. They are calculating though. Generally don't attack people when they first see them. The second day of repeat activity in the same spot will not get them moving, but they say day three and the croc would have gone into the bush and will attack from behind to drag the person into the water. So don't go fishing up north in the same place!!
 
but I have an idea.

I'm really happy this is inspiring more than a few people. Yaaaaay.

And thx everyone for all the inspiration on monster crocs and weird food. Fits right into my monster hunting story. Going bush in the Never Never, legendary monster crocs, mutated koalas, black SUVs, this is working for me.
 
Back
Top