Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

Damn. :( So no Gibson heiress story? Nertz.

I'm still writing a story, just no space cowboys :)
I wanted to focus more on the AI/biotech aspects than astrophysics and space travel. That and the sex...
PS- space furries?
 
Last edited:
Hey Etaski, you can scratch me from that list. I don't have a mind to write with at the moment. Next time. :D
Understood. I sense your brain needs soothing. Props on finishing your other novella with some good commentary (see? you can write a love story :D just has to be your flavor). I also genuinely enjoyed the reveal in your work-in-progress and look forward to more of that eventually.

I'm still writing a story, just no space cowboys :)
I wanted to focus more on the AI/biotech aspects than astrophysics and space travel. That and the sex...
OH!! :D :D

Well, Hell, yeah! *ahem* Yes, please. :rose:

Truthfully, the AI and biotech were what my mind seized on when the thrust of the plot was revealed. That's what I want to see. How you get there? Meh, I'm not gonna be picky. Your muse was arguing with you for a reason. ;) Glad to hear you're still in. Best of luck!
 
PS- space furries?

Oh, you edited that. :D Didn't see it.

Hmmmm. Not exactly space furries, but... I can't exactly deny that, either. Pulled from my favorite futuristic-cyberpunk-dystopian-gothic-urban-horror RPG setting. I'm almost sure there's only one of those, anyway. The mad bucket of Slosh that it is. :cool:
 
*Baning head on desk*

Time travel, why are all the ideas coming to me involve time travel?
 
More like it's the only thing that's been coming to me, thought I have this one idea.

If you think about it, these ideas aren’t actually coming to you. They already came to you. Or they still haven’t.

Because time travel.
 
Another flake here, or sure if he’s going to have something worthwhile by the deadline. My electroconvulsive therapy eats up an entire day with static now that they’re using ketamine.
 
Etaski Space Furries?
 

Attachments

  • B18A3AC6-0E6D-4B22-8304-17D1BDFBB4A6.jpg
    B18A3AC6-0E6D-4B22-8304-17D1BDFBB4A6.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
My story is threatening to eat me.
I thought it already was. I mean, your Bio says the muse is giving you blowjobs. :D Now get back to your day off!! Mush!

Etaski Space Furries?
That's a glorious cover. I love how it even states, "This is a nightstand book. Adult reading." In teeeeeny-tiny vertical print on the side of the cover. So what the hell does that nerd have to be crossing his arms and looking so huffy about? Sheesh, man, they're hanging on you!!

Alas, but no. :D The fuzzy female in my story would eat those bunnies. And not in the "pleasant for both parties" way.
 
I, too, must resign from this. It's become apparent that all my story ideas, and those I've attempted to write, will not finished in time.

Good luck to all those who are attempting.
 
But then, I really do admire the soul of brevity, even if I do not possess it. My bookshelf proves it, and NotWise's "Third Ring" recently reminded me again why. ^_^

Thanks! A little plug never hurt, and your comment was awesome :)

Short story writing (and The Third Ring is a short story) is a different art than novel writing. You have to approach things differently. I happened to be listening to NPR this morning while a UK novelist commented on the difficulty of following a character through changes in their life. He commented that he learned to do it by writing for 55 years, but it can be done by good short-story writers with grace, and that was a writing skill he didn't have.
 
I had a personal goal to finish writing my story by April 22, a full month ahead of the Geek Day deadline. That would give me plenty of time for editing, beta-reading, and polishing. I'm going to miss that. No way I finish today.

I'm over 10k words already and I still have so much more to go. Unfortunately I also have tickets for a show tonight, so I'm done writing for the day.

Ok, new personal deadline: April 29. Wish me luck.
 
Okay...

This has been puzzling to me for a while...

Simon, have you paid attention during your biology classes?

I just watched some television, I saw a small guy talking, and suddenly it all made sense to me.

It really is nothing to be ashamed of. Just to be sure: will there really be tentacles or...

I did. I like biology. I'm a big mollusk fan.

Always remember the FI in SCI FI. It's O.K. to twist biological reality. My story will deal with the issue of inter-class sex, too.

Re that video you linked: that woman is hot but I have no idea what she's trying to say.
 
She needed a lot of talking (too much talking) to come to the final conclusion: "Tentacles are on an octopus, and testicles are men's balls."

O.K. Admittedly, my story does not delve into this issue. Tentacles will loom large. Testicles, not so much. That's for another story.
 
Thanks! A little plug never hurt, and your comment was awesome :)
:D I'm glad you think so.

Short story writing (and The Third Ring is a short story) is a different art than novel writing. You have to approach things differently. I happened to be listening to NPR this morning while a UK novelist commented on the difficulty of following a character through changes in their life. He commented that he learned to do it by writing for 55 years, but it can be done by good short-story writers with grace, and that was a writing skill he didn't have.
Oh my, yes, it is. I seem able to weave together whole novels easily. And once in a while, I can write short stories, but since I'm not known for them, my "regulars" only comment that it feels like I'm leaving a lot out. ;)

The odd thing for me is, I read more short stories than I do long epics. By a vast margin. The epics I've followed are also mostly the graphic novel sort (the classic "ElFQuest" and "Sandman," and the much newer "Saga" are good examples). I've read a couple of novel-series-epics but I could probably name them all fairly quickly.

Meanwhile, I've read so many horror, comedy, and fantasy short stories, they fill my bookshelf (reminds me, one of my favorite humor writers passed recently, RIP Patrick F. McManus :( ), and in general, my favorite stories on Literotica are stand-alones and not very long.

Yet practicing writing itself, I churn out dozens of novels either in a series or related to each other. Huge epics.

...so why is it what I read so different from what I write?? Even weirder to consider, how are my readers' tastes so different from my own when they like what I write, "the longer and bigger and more epic, the better"? :eek:


I did. I like biology. I'm a big mollusk fan.
:D !! This is one of the cutest comments I've read recently. Coming from a biology geek.

Always remember the FI in SCI FI. It's O.K. to twist biological reality. My story will deal with the issue of inter-class sex, too.
Looking forward to that. :)

Better get back to my list!

In Order of Appearance:

PuckIt (Not positive where we are, but no doubt he'll assure me the fiftieth beginning is the lucky one. :rose:)

BiscuitHammer

Antryg Windrose

electricblue66
("World building is word building." ...Yes. Yes, it is.)

Blind_Justice (I have no idea where the word count is, but several characters are screaming, "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!" :D

lovecraft68

ChloeTzang (Waiting for the Tale of Two Stories. )

Voboy (FIRST FINISHED! Quote the author: 21K words, and has a buddy working on a story in secret. The Author's Hang-out Geek thread probably needs...what, a hot tub? Would that help? )

xelliebabex

rutger5

LoquiSordidaAdMe
(In Progress, 10K+! Personal best, and still more to go. 4/29 personal finish line, Good Luck, Loqui! )

Alice_Rosaleen (In progress. THANK GOD! No space cowboys, but that's fine. She scared me for a second!)

PrettyLilPussy

ShyChiWriter - the muse is glancing over 2 pitches while waiting for the writer to sit down.

Loquere

MSTarot
(PIRATES! I seriously want pirates.)

weftandwarp (SECOND FINISHED! 10K words of Botany, love, and autism.)

SimonDoom: High-five to a big mollusk fan. :D

Aaaand haven't finished my own, yet. Finished a different release first (personal deadline also), and had a hell of a week. But I still have two weeks for my violent-fun furry story, plus those scenes that keep playing in my head will be fun to write.
 
electricblue66 ("World building is word building." ...Yes. Yes, it is.)

Into the end game for this part, just past 30k (Loqui, hide your eyes). It will be fully resolved for the Geek Anthology, but if we run it next year, there's a second part to be had...

This is the biggest "little side project" I've ever done.
 
Reminds me of a geography class. We were studying the Great Barrier Reef, which is made of lime-secreting orgasms. Apparently...according to Charley, anyway.
That is correct. :) And honey can also, biologically speaking, be accurately described as "bee backwash," beer can be reasonably defined as "yeast urine," while risen bread and other baked goods are puffed up with the magic of yeast burps. Yum yum! :D

I also find I get the hots for David Attenborough every time I watch a nature documentary where he's narrating (what age difference? Don't care. Nerds recognize each other). Another author here once summarized a fantasy "mating" scene I wrote in a story I posted here by rewriting it in observing-Attenborough-style. He nailed it. It was glorious. :kiss:

Into the end game for this part, just past 30k (Loqui, hide your eyes). It will be fully resolved for the Geek Anthology, but if we run it next year, there's a second part to be had...

This is the biggest "little side project" I've ever done.
Awesome! Hooray-hooray! :heart: Looking forward to a nice run of new stories from experienced writers in my favorite category. :cool:
 
Lordy, kids, FINISH. I know I’m pretty fast, but I’m already three stories past Geek Day and taking a bit of a hiatus.

Chop chop!
 
Back
Top