Has Laurel gone off the grid?

tomlitilia

Literotica Guru
Are others too having trouble getting in contact with Laurel? I PM:d her twice and haven't heard back for three weeks. There are many reasons why correspondence could be slow, so I just want to check if others have had better luck.

I sent her a PM about 10 days ago and had a reply the next morning.

I have seen this question come up regularly over the past 12 years or so. Couple of observations.

1. Laurel has heaps to do just to get stories up.

2. She probably prioritizes issues. My guess is that story related stuff gets sorted way, way, way ahead of recommendations as to, "This is how the site really would be better organized."

3. Courtesy counts - A lot.

4. I suspect that regular productive writers would stand a better chance of a response, subject to 1.2.3 above.

5. Parts of the site are bent broken or battered but if they only affect a few why should she bother?

6. It's her baby so she can do what she likes.

And then of course, I could be wrong re most of the above, but not 1. 3. and 6.;)

6. It's her baby so she can do what she likes.

Which she occasionally sometimes clearly does. But then it's neither illegitimate nor should it be surprising when authors here, those providing the raw materials, for free, that form the product and thus the profit this Web site makes, whatever that is, voice complaint or objection.

The frequently posted concept that all of the users are getting the services here for free is false. Those providing stories here are providing, for free, the raw materials that feed the product/profit of this Web site.

Even the story readers are providing clicks that mean something in the site sponsors' decisions to advertise here.

The only true freeloading users here are those playing on the discussion board without either contributing stories or reading them. And even they feed click stats, I suppose.

Which she occasionally sometimes clearly does. But then it's neither illegitimate nor should it be surprising when authors here, those providing the raw materials, for free, that form the product and thus the profit this Web site makes, whatever that is, voice complaint or objection.

The frequently posted concept that all of the users are getting the services here for free is false. Those providing stories here are providing, for free, the raw materials that feed the product/profit of this Web site.

Even the story readers are providing clicks that mean something in the site sponsors' decisions to advertise here.

The only true freeloading users here are those playing on the discussion board without either contributing stories or reading them. And even they feed click stats, I suppose.

You really have a problem with this, don't you. Have you been chained in a dungeon and forced to write stories for Lit? Are your stories so amazing that you'd be making the money of JK Rowling if they were being published elsewhere?

For those of us who aren't writers ... just because someone is making money out of the situation, even our presence here (or 'clicks') doesn't mean we're not getting stuff for 'free'. How is it costing me to use the site? ... but now I'm somehow a 'freeloader', gaining benefit from the sweat of erotica writers who are chained in basements all over the world?

Laurel responds to things that are probably deemed appropriate enough or important enough by her to warrant a response. I'm not sure how many pester her as she hides behind her curtain of wizardry.. or Manu for the matter. She's not really at all an active user, doing admin shit and all, plus as archaic as the site is, I'm sure it's not her only sum of income, as well as being a fraction of her human life. There are a few times I've seen her active in the boards, especially threads like this that are about her...so keep it up and yall may beckon her call. I think Pilot is of few that has argued with her often, which shows a benevolence as he's still here. Then back to the shadows. Her large post count is from owning this place, not being an active poster. For the upteenth time, her and Manu(probably mostly her) run all this by themselves. I'm on many boards and though some have active admin, they aren't that active as far as posting like everybody else. She'll probably get to you whenever she feels like it.

The one time I asked Laurel for advice (in the last month or so) she responded within 2-3 days, including time taken to see if the site could do what I asked. Then, when a recent story posting contained a wrong link, it was corrected within 12 hours.

Ishtat's comment No.3, without doubt, gets a response in kind.

Perhaps she's momentarily resting on her laurels.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is like Kremlin-watching or Vatican-watching (was that a puff of smoke? what color?) or Soros-watching -- or theology -- looking for crumbs of clues about the nature of hidden players. A fairly non-toxic form of conspiracy theorizing.

But don't look too close. Insanity lies that way.

NOBODY who uses a free site can possibly be a "freeloader".

If a writer chooses to contribute one or more stories, it doesn't impose an obligation on anyone else to contribute anything at all. Neither does it grant additional privileges to the writer.

Anyone can do anything the site allows for free with no obligation. How could someone take advantage of almost unlimited privileges to be called a "true freeloader"?

Whether and how the owners make money off the site is of no concern to any member.

rj

NOBODY who uses a free site can possibly be a "freeloader".

rj

You apparently are unaware of the GB, where the "discussions" (and regular posters) have nothing to do with the business of this Web site and where posters who ask questions about the Web site stories are frequently hazed.

Beyond that you breeze right by the point I was making. But, that's OK. There's a lot of that going around here--even from the Web site administration.

(Be sure and let me know how big the check you receive is for your last paragraph remark. :D)

By the way, did you take basic economics anytime during your formal education? The unique product of this for-profit Web site is the story file. Laurel and Manu don't write the stories--or pay for them. Try wrapping your mind around the business model of that.

Last edited:
It's easy to read his post and see him saying, "I deserve to get paid for my stories" does he think this? I don't know, but if he's not being paid with money, then at least pay him with time and consideration when he talks (author questions/site suggestions.)

Especially in my case, I'd say that anyone who thought I've been posting "I deserve to get paid for my stories" hasn't been paying much attention to my posts over the years. I've already gotten paid for most of them (all but contest ones--and I'm out of the contests now) for a year or more before posting them here. I don't expect any money for them here. I also don't expect them to be protected if I post stories here. That's my responsibility, if I feel like playing whack-a-mole with little payoff. I've repeatedly posted both of these positions.

I do expect the authors to be recognized as providing the raw material for the site's unique product and deserve to being part of the discussion of Web site issues and not subjected to "It's their site and they are giving you free service" slap downs. The service isn't free. The authors are providing the raw material of the product and the readers are providing the use stats that determine the market value of the Web site. Over and above that, anyone who is expending time and effort to help other users navigate a Web site that has nonfunctioning elements--some serious, like not answering their e-mails--deserve better than being called trolls, denying there are any nonfunctioning elements, and ignoring the need to fix these nonfunctioning elements.

I'm not harping on this. I didn't bring the issue up here. Your post on what you gathered I was saying is, indeed, what I was saying.

Last edited:

I've seen you go off about this on more than one occasion. What is keeping you here then? If you are that unhappy, why not post elsewhere or find another solution? Obviously this constant stream of dialogue is getting you nowhere.

Just some food for thought.

Pilot's assertion that the story file is Laurel and Manu's greatest asset is correct. I guess there are about 600,000 titles.

Site costs and time are Laurel and Manu's greatest liabilities. They make something at the margins (I hope) and probably not huge.

A tiny minority of writers are professional and use the site very effectively as a marketing tool. Pilot is a good example with about 1000 stories, which hopefully encourage readers to move on to his paid work.

Essentially it's a symbiotic relationship - it might be possible to monetize it further, but that balance could suffer. For example, if the site charged prolific authors (the Pros) $10 to post a story that would cost a 1000 story author $10,000. Authors might not like that, they might even walk away. ;) Would the site suffer ? No, not at all, because even the site's most prolific authors only contribute around 0.1% of the whole story file.

So it's probably the best to muddle along, having a little whinge every now and then, but accepting the fact that when push comes to shove Laurel calls the shots.

Laurel used to post a bit on the GB but announced about 6 months ago that she was stopping - basically sick and tired of being the target of absurd abuse.

You apparently are unaware of the GB, where the "discussions" (and regular posters) have nothing to do with the business of this Web site and where posters who ask questions about the Web site stories are frequently hazed.

Yes, I'm aware of it, but have never read it. The owners put absolutely no restrictions on posting to the GB other than the basic rules of behavior. There are no requirements that conversations be limited to the business of this web site. So forum members are free to discuss whatever they want--isn't that why it's called the General Board? The description is "Want to talk about something not covered anywhere else? Try this board!"

(Be sure and let me know how big the check you receive is for your last paragraph remark. :D)

I'm retired. Every day is Saturday for me. I work for free.

By the way, did you take basic economics anytime during your formal education? The unique product of this for-profit Web site is the story file. Laurel and Manu don't write the stories--or pay for them. Try wrapping your mind around the business model of that.

Dual major in Mechanical Engineering and Economics. Much later in life, a Masters in Economics. It's not relevant to this discussion because the business model here doesn't concern or affect any of us.

Writers are free to submit or not as they wish. No promises or expectations exist for compensation. Writers retain copyright. Nobody is charged anything to read the stories. I'm not harmed in any way. You're not harmed in any way. We are free to participate or not, stay or not.

You voluntarily submitted nearly 1000 stories. You've contributed a staggering 50,000 posts to the forums. You had to know all along that you weren't going to get anything tangible in return so why do it? Whatever the reason, it's a choice you made.

rj

I've seen you go off about this on more than one occasion. What is keeping you here then? If you are that unhappy, why not post elsewhere or find another solution? Obviously this constant stream of dialogue is getting you nowhere.

Interesting post that says far more than the poster probably realizes. Join date, Sept, 2017 and he has heard SR go off on the subject several times. :D That begs the question of whose alt you are. Not that it really matters but then again people have to wonder why you care as a newbie.

Don't you just love fuzzy logic.

Interesting post that says far more than the poster probably realizes. Join date, Sept, 2017 and he has heard SR go off on the subject several times. :D That begs the question of whose alt you are. Not that it really matters but then again people have to wonder why you care as a newbie.

Don't you just love fuzzy logic.

Lol. I think most of us could care less about the business model. The sites still up so something's working economically and we have a site with a multitude of readers with tastes to fit almost every variation imaginable. My stories get more views and more feedback here than anywhere else I've tried and I get to learn to write on a real live audience who are quick to dump on you if it's a poor attempt. As far as I'm concerned it's win-win all the way. If Laurel can make a few bucks from providing a service that works for readers and writers both, good for her.

No thanks. Sorry I can't be a wash rag just for you (no, I'm not. :D)

I pay my dues here. If you don't like it, you're free to go someplace else.

Just some food for thought. :)

Yes, I'm aware of it, but have never read it. The owners put absolutely no restrictions on posting to the GB other than the basic rules of behavior. There are no requirements that conversations be limited to the business of this web site. So forum members are free to discuss whatever they want--isn't that why it's called the General Board? The description is "Want to talk about something not covered anywhere else? Try this board!"

Actually, no. Posters on the GB are banned left and right and just come back under other account names. It's totally out of control. And they are banned based on personal favoritism, with Laurel herself once having been one of the active "just nonsense" posters (the cat years), as much as on any other criteria. And most of the regular posters on the GB have absolutely no connection to the story aspect of the site and haze posters who stumble in there with questions on the story file.

And going back to the obsolete and nonfunctioning elements roaming around here, take a gander at the forum rules. They still say that no one will be cut off for any reason--but, yet, we've come to a place where people are banned left and right and posts just disappear for personal reasons. I don't object to that, it just shows that, while the Web site is piddling around on maybe retooling its looks, it does nothing about issues with the broken and obsolete functions that exist here.

Back