American Sentences

After a day counting figures, my mind descends to the oubliette.

ladies ,GM , Tzara : i'm havin' fun Dobara !!

[ Dobara means Second time round in Urdu ]

Your feet, bare and wet on the flagstones. So more erotic than those breasts.

From the first page, an example with multiple sentences:

Rainy night on Union Square, full moon. Want more poems? Wait till I'm dead.​

And one with multiple 17 syllable lines:

He stands at the church steps a long time looking down at new white sneakers—
Determined, goes in the door quickly to make his Sunday confession.​

From the first page, an example with multiple sentences:

And one with multiple 17 syllable lines:

Ok, which is more important: form or content? If it works, has 17 syllables, is poetic then why not make more than one sentence.;)

if this is rain falling on my face, how comes it feels so very hot?

Ok, which is more important: form or content? If it works, has 17 syllables, is poetic then why not make more than one sentence.;)

If you're asking my opinion, I think it's content. :)

This form is so malleable that it justifies anything. You can make multiple sentences, you can make multi-line, anything goes, it seems. I've managed to get away with an "american wall of text" on the 30 in 30, which was not good poetry, but still.

To me, it has the same feeling of a haiku, but where the haiku severely limits what you can say, due to the 5-7-5 scheme, the 17 syllable feels natural for a complete sentence, and it's easy to "pad" a sentence to fit if you're desperate. ;)

The best american sentences I've seen had some kind of twist in them. Something like:

<statement>; <quirky remark>.

Followed by a <ba-dum-tsh!>

If you're asking my opinion, I think it's content. :)

This form is so malleable that it justifies anything. You can make multiple sentences, you can make multi-line, anything goes, it seems. I've managed to get away with an "american wall of text" on the 30 in 30, which was not good poetry, but still.

To me, it has the same feeling of a haiku, but where the haiku severely limits what you can say, due to the 5-7-5 scheme, the 17 syllable feels natural for a complete sentence, and it's easy to "pad" a sentence to fit if you're desperate. ;)

The best american sentences I've seen had some kind of twist in them. Something like:

<statement>; <quirky remark>.

Followed by a <ba-dum-tsh!>

Yes, well I think we can take it as a given that the form of the American sentence is set at 17 syllables and it doesn't matter that there are multiple sentences.

The content therefore does take precedence because we should be poetic, forgetting almost the form. It's like drawing/sketching. I heard a woman yesterday describing her act of drawing as being in a trance, and any interruption would break that connection she had between the subject and her work of art. Separation of form and content... kinda...not sure if I have nailed it here.

frothy mocha and wifi, fingertip world - pavement seats, pollution.

the bones of all old houses creak; some are sad - others ache, contented.

Everyone has seen a rainbow, but for me it means the sun has came out.

A rainbow requires rain to exist... People fixate on their beauty. Interesting, I never thought of them as a marker that the "sun" has come out. Cool AS, UnderYourSpell.

And funny... My intuitive syllable counter sees 3 syllables in "everyone" (e-very-one; I think when I speak it out loud, it sounds a bit like e-vree-one :eek:).

Hamster competition: the wheel in my cage can go faster than yours.

That's actually a pretty cool image... Some people might see themselves as caged, doing something that holds no meaning. Hm. It wasn't silly in my eyes.

the bones of all old houses creak; some are sad - others ache, contented.

If my house starts creaking, I'm moving out, no matter whether it is sad or contented. :cool:

Edit:

If my house starts creaking, whether it's sad or content, I'm moving out.

Haha.

Last edited:
A rainbow requires rain to exist... People fixate on their beauty. Interesting, I never thought of them as a marker that the "sun" has come out. Cool AS, UnderYourSpell.

And funny... My intuitive syllable counter sees 3 syllables in "everyone" (e-very-one; I think when I speak it out loud, it sounds a bit like e-vree-one :eek:).

That's actually a pretty cool image... Some people might see themselves as caged, doing something that holds no meaning. Hm. It wasn't silly in my eyes.

If my house starts creaking, I'm moving out, no matter whether it is sad or contented. :cool:

Edit:

Haha.

I thought it was a funny image that can have a deeper meaning, too. A friend once showed me a cartoon of a man looking out of what appears to be a prison window, but the larger perspective shows it is just a window with no walls around it. So yeah, I was kind of thinking of that. :)

Edit:

Haha.

I've seen a 'snow rainbow' once a long time ago, wish I could again.

Back