Summer Challenge thread

Dang, I had more misses than hits! Lots of fun reading and guessing. I still say Des was a ringer! Thought for sure his was Pelegrino, it felt like Greece to me.

I found it funny that #1, two girls cackling on a bench at the beach, was attributed to a man. All mine were flashbacks of my youth.

Dang, I had more misses than hits! Lots of fun reading and guessing. I still say Des was a ringer! Thought for sure his was Pelegrino, it felt like Greece to me.

I found it funny that #1, two girls cackling on a bench at the beach, was attributed to a man. All mine were flashbacks of my youth.

Um. Men can't be sitting on a bench at the beach? ;)

:cool:

there's another challenge in the offing, if anyone's interested... a different sort of approach; another member's coming up with the concept, i'll be organising it. watch this space :devil:

I didn't guess and I'm glad I didn't because I was all wrong anyway!! If you're setting up a new one pleeeeeeeeeeeease wait till after next Thursday as I'm away till then.

i sense a theme here... :cool:

i may be good (arguable point, lol) but i ain't ^^that good! now that'd be something indeed. :devil:

and deepest apologies to everyone for no.17 :eek: i blame mungo jerry and the oppressive grey heat that day :p
are you sure? am I mistaken in my view of you as being Omnipotent?
Hats off to you, butters.
Hats off to you, Tsotha for doing such a bang up impersonation of me, I almost thought #8 was mine. You must be from Sardinia.

are you sure? am I mistaken in my view of you as being Omnipotent?
Hats off to you, butters.
Hats off to you, Tsotha for doing such a bang up impersonation of me, I almost thought #8 was mine. You must be from Sardinia.

quite quite mistaken :cool:

i honestly thought yours would've been nailed from the off :D i'd have been lost guessing some of the others, though. i'd have got harry's, pelegrino's, probably tods', most likely annie's.... oh, definitely gm's, with its irish title...

:kiss:

The lights are dimmed, the water glowing green,
As if the bath lay in some fern-strewn pool
A thousand miles south. Shadows criss-cross hands,
Which criss-cross each other: a cat’s cradle
Of slow desire with every languid drop
A promise. Candle wax trembles, pauses;
At last cascades down itself in soft streams.
The room’s silence is another caress.

The lovers, lost in deeper pools by far
Merge, fall away, merge now more urgently,
Each movement calls to life a waterfall
And mighty rivers fall down breathless backs
To feed the fretful waters. Lips and tongues
Dance in perfect time to waltzing heartbeats
Or fall back, entranced with their own magic.

The bath would long ago have grown too cold
Except the gods, who have made it their sea,
Draw fresh heat from each other’s seeking hands,
Which warmth, in turn, suffuses every wave
Their movements rouse. The door remains unlocked;
For who would dare disturb this privacy?

Each gasp is greater than the last, until
The tortured waters rise over the side
To spill, heedless, across the wooden beach.
Amidst the tumult, Neptune and his bride
Rise up and fall, and rise and fall again
Until their mouths, though locked together still
Cry out that joy which dwells so close to pain
So each breathes in the other’s ecstasy.

Outside, the grapes have shriveled on the vine.
this yours, trix? totally had me mystified, truth is, I quickly scanned all, this caught my eye:
Candle wax trembles, pauses;
the entire passage is primo, evocative and sensuous

this yours, trix? totally had me mystified, truth is, I quickly scanned all, this caught my eye:
des esseinte's piece... beautiful indeed

quite quite mistaken :cool:

i honestly thought yours would've been nailed from the off :D i'd have been lost guessing some of the others, though. i'd have got harry's, pelegrino's, probably tods', most likely annie's.... oh, definitely gm's, with its irish title...

:kiss:
4 was def yours
17 was def not mine (wtf)
Harry's would have a creek, it did, wrong pick, didn't read enough.
one was def FLA. so was #1, trix strikes me as FLA
two are def NYC, gm and I would be most likely suspects. Him more so than I.
after reading there are certain similarities between #5 and #8 (tso and I)
Gm threw a bit of a curve, mine complete knuckleball, cracked me up, we used similar props, even to a similar effect, blood red and Greeks.

Why I thought #1 was GM's the baseball ref and it is a curve ball, although it does break more sharply than his. Kudos. Trix.
UYS fooled me.

No, the ringer's, lol. Quite good, I trolled him and still didn't guess right, he has no submitted poetry. It felt like Greece to me so I went with Pelegrino.

And the pieces that have been said to feel like FLA are actually the eastern shore of MD where I spent my teen years.

Damn I was hoping to come back and take my guess at it properly only to find it's already been given away :( would have been way wrong on most think I would've had maybe 9 right looking at butters list. Ah well much fun and some very good poetry to read.

Damn I was hoping to come back and take my guess at it properly only to find it's already been given away :( would have been way wrong on most think I would've had maybe 9 right looking at butters list. Ah well much fun and some very good poetry to read.

Nine right, damn, much better than me. I only got 4, and I was able to eliminate 4 of the choices, lol.

What does 'ringer' mean, in this context? Is it because I'm a newbie?

What does 'ringer' mean, in this context? Is it because I'm a newbie?

A ringer is a professional brought in to play at a lesser level. Thus tipping the balance in favor of the side they've been brought in on.

You sir, seem to fit the bill. Though I hope you'll stay and play some more.

:rose:
A very big thanks to all for the excellent poetry and for the fun. I enjoyed everything very much.
Special thanks to Butters for her idea and for making it all possible!

A ringer is a professional brought in to play at a lesser level. Thus tipping the balance in favor of the side they've been brought in on.

Oh, well done

Aw, shucks! That's a very nice thing to say, madam. I'd love to play again and, as I said on here earlier, your own poem was one of my two favourites. (Though, as for being professional, in the sense of anyone having ever paid a penny for my writing, I'd regretfully have to disclaim that one.)

Anyway, thanks to all for making a newcomer feel welcome, and for the lovely poems, of course.

Back