Advice on editor seeking, please.

TangleLeg

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Mar 10, 2015
Posts
401
So, this is a copy of the intro letter I sent to a volunteer editor whose categories looked compatible with mine, at least on the surface. I wonder what some of the existing editors and experienced folks here might think of my approach.

Please feel free to critique.


Hi,

I'm curious if you might be willing to edit within Google docs (Google Drive) for the sake of ease and collaboration. (I understand that a yes to this request does not constitute an agreement to work with me.)

I am new to writing for Lit, but I am not a new writer and I've been reading here, off and on, for years. I am writing in the BDSM category currently, but I'm not limited to it. I like to think that my interests in that area are less than common, in that I am not a purist who thinks I have to conform to the way other people draw boundaries for bdsm relationships. My first story has been submitted to Lit and is currently awaiting approval. I think it adequately illustrates what that former statement looks like in terms of my writing. If you are interested in the possibility of working with me, I would be happy to send you the story or give you access to it in Google so that you can get a feel for how I write before commiting.

Overall, our interests appear to be compatible. I would prefer to have a female editor to help in counterbalancing my male perspective on occasion. I want my writing to accurately reflect the perspective, character and feelings of a woman. As a man, I realize that I will always have room for growth on that subject. I want hot, vivid sexuality and steamy intensity to come out of well developed interaction and a solid background when I write. Expect graphic sex to be prolific.

I would appreciate input on structure and content, as well as help in maintaining a fluidity and flow in my writing style. Over the years I have, sort of, found my voice in my writing, but sometimes it doesn't translate well. I would like an editor who is willing and courageous enough to point that out when that occurs.

I do not intend to keep a fast writing pace, although I am capable of a mild addiction to it when my works are well received. I am not uptight or in a rush to push out a story. I would much prefer to take a little time, step back from it and let it simmer, bringing out its character and flavor on a grand scale.

So, if you're interested, please let me know. If not, I'll look into other editors. I do not intend to work with more than one editor at any time. I'm hoping for a good collaboration that will evolve out of a shared, intimate desire to bring pleasure to my readers.

Thanks for your time!
 
Wow, posted on here it looks too bloody long...or maybe that's helpful?
 
Were you able to ascertain that the volunteer editor is still functioning? Most aren't. Are you aware of the sticky at the top of the form where editors declaring they are actively available post every month?
 
Were you able to ascertain that the volunteer editor is still functioning? Most aren't. Are you aware of the sticky at the top of the form where editors declaring they are actively available post every month?

I do not know if she is active but she hasn't responded in two days.

I became aware of that particular sticky after writing to her, and decided I'd guve her a few days before moving on.
 
I do not know if she is active but she hasn't responded in two days.

I became aware of that particular sticky after writing to her, and decided I'd guve her a few days before moving on.

If you read in on this forum, you'll see lots of complaints of voluntary editors not replying. The system is broken and most of them are gone (and most of them weren't editors anyway--it is a self-declaration with no verification system).
 
If you read in on this forum, you'll see lots of complaints of voluntary editors not replying. The system is broken and most of them are gone (and most of them weren't editors anyway--it is a self-declaration with no verification system).

Gotcha. Thanks for filling me in on the solution then.

:)
 
Searching for an editor

Hi,
How do I find an editor then? I have sent messages to a couple through the find an editor link but have received no reply's. Am I doing something wrong?

Would appreciate any feedback/help

Many thanks
 
I could edit it for you maybe curious, if you're minded.

Send me a PM about it, I'll tell you a little about me and we'll see if we mesh, kay?

It won't be my first time editing for someone, though it hasn't been erotic before. Just spelling and grammar ok with you?
 
Hi,
How do I find an editor then? I have sent messages to a couple through the find an editor link but have received no reply's. Am I doing something wrong?

Would appreciate any feedback/help

Many thanks

* To switch on your Private Messages, go to User CP (top left of this page), click on Edit Options (in the left hand column), and then tick Enable Private Messaging in the second box down. Make sure that the box titled Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators is NOT ticked. Finally, click Save Changes at the bottom of that page.
 
Thank you all again for your help. I'm grateful. As a result of following some of the advice I received here, I may have found exactly the kind of editor I would like to work with. I will, of course, respect her privacy here, but she seems very compatible.

Thanks again!
 
Back
Top