New Illustrated Poetry Thread

Anschul

Literotica Guru
I caught the posts in the Illustrated History thread, and I thought it was a good idea, so I'm starting a new one.

Apropos of nothing, here's a birthday sonnet I wrote to the incredible one with whom I share a bed, with a pic of the print I got her for her birthday. The print is called Woman Lying on a Bench, by a nineteenth and twentieth century Swedish artist named Carl Larsson. He is her favorite, and here is the work:

larsson.gif

Last edited:
Thank you my beloved Evie for finding my Time Warp, er Time Zone, poem again. :)

<moved to pic-a-thon>

Last edited:
These are fantasticals ... <le sigh> I wish my desktop was all better... </sigh> Oh well, I'll watch what you folks do and maybe a couple of ideas will arise.

CafeDuck's poem ;) is a pretty good example of what frenetic, caffiene-driven collaboration can do with illustrated poetry, too. (Thanks monkeyman)

These are fantasticals ... <le sigh> I wish my desktop was all better... </sigh> Oh well, I'll watch what you folks do and maybe a couple of ideas will arise.

CafeDuck's poem ;) is a pretty good example of what frenetic, caffiene-driven collaboration can do with illustrated poetry, too. (Thanks monkeyman)

What's with your desktop? Do you need a photo editing program? Maybe Mr. Jamison will put one of his in here.

Thank you for starting an Illustrated Poetry thread, Anschul. There use to be a few of them, but for different challenges. I thought they were in the stickied links, however, they weren't.

I'll be putting stuff here since I like creating this sort of poetry.

What's with your desktop? Do you need a photo editing program? Maybe Mr. Jamison will put one of his in here.

Ange and Champ, if you're looking for a nice, relatively easy-to-use photo editor that is free to obtain, try PhotoPlus from Serif software. I have used it, and it is pretty easy to download, install, and use. I am currently using GimpShop (download here, a freeware clone of PhotoShop. It's really powerful, and has a user interface a lot like that of PhotoShop.
Just a thought...

My desktop has a fried motherboard. (suthern-fried mutha bord) It's got a tonne of ram (when it has a mothabord) compared to my laptop, which I've been using as the sole computing entity in my life.

Ange and Champ, if you're looking for a nice, relatively easy-to-use photo editor that is free to obtain, try PhotoPlus from Serif software. I have used it, and it is pretty easy to download, install, and use. I am currently using GimpShop (download here, a freeware clone of PhotoShop. It's really powerful, and has a user interface a lot like that of PhotoShop.
Just a thought...
Thanks for the links cheffy. I have a few media creating programs, plus photoshop plus and a bunch of photoshare software dl's available.. :( just not enough memory to run them well.

Just a thought...

Thanks sweets. I have Photoshop Elements and an HP Photo editing program that came with my printer. I find the HP software easier to use than Photoshop, but there are some things that Photoshop does that I can't do with any other program. I used to have the software package that came with an old Cannon scanner I had that I really liked. It was very simple to use and pretty versitile. But the HP and Photoshop programs let me do a lot. :)

I've been looking through all my illustrated poems. I think this one is my favorite.

Last edited:
Wow. This is really nice.
Nice talking to you again.
:heart:

Thank you. The photos are an old shot of the Brooklyn Bridge where Sonny Rollins supposedly practiced late at night. I find that thrilling--if you lived in say, Brooklyn Heights, you could open your window or sit on your fire escape and listen to Sonny.

It's good to talk to you too. I'm glad you're around again. I'm bummed about the Sox trading Manny but otherwise happy. :)

Excellent two of my favourite mediums combined. Now to come up with something. I've been having a bit of a rut lately.

Thank you. The photos are an old shot of the Brooklyn Bridge where Sonny Rollins supposedly practiced late at night. I find that thrilling--if you lived in say, Brooklyn Heights, you could open your window or sit on your fire escape and listen to Sonny.

It's good to talk to you too. I'm glad you're around again. I'm bummed about the Sox trading Manny but otherwise happy. :)

Yup, Manny was great fun. So now sit back and watch him destroy the Dodgers' karma. Only good thing about the trade that I see is that the Dodger fans love a good show, and winning is less important. I think the Sox may have added by subtraction. As Jimmy V once said, "Don't give up...Don't ever give up."

Yup, Manny was great fun. So now sit back and watch him destroy the Dodgers' karma. Only good thing about the trade that I see is that the Dodger fans love a good show, and winning is less important. I think the Sox may have added by subtraction. As Jimmy V once said, "Don't give up...Don't ever give up."

I think Manny will land on his feet. He's just too good and too much in love with the game not to, you know? And I think Torre will do well with Manny. He knows how to deal with prima donnas. I'll miss seeing him play every day though. He's almost always an exciting at bat to watch.

My Boston buddy Tath wrote to me tonight to make sure I'm "ok." :D Lol--he said to me "this is what it means to be a Red Sox fan." The zen of disappointment I guess.

Who gives up? I'm watching a jazz documentary on Netflix. :)

This was my first, and so far only, try at doing an illustrated poem:

RedArmyPoem.jpg

The image is from the sculpture garden at Kentuck Knob.

This was my first, and so far only, try at doing an illustrated poem:

RedArmyPoem.jpg

The image is from the sculpture garden at Kentuck Knob.
Very good, thought provoking poem on your first attempt. You should do more. To improve this piece, I believe you need the text to pop, it is over powered by the red and all the eye sees is red since it's a bold color—and I can't see the color red, so you know that's something. I think if you can just ignore the first half detail of the image and darken it, your text portion of your illustrated poem will grab the reader too.

The result of an illustrated challenge:

snoqualmiefallspoem.jpg
That's one of my most favorite places in the world. PS, do you have anti-aliasing on your graphic program. I think it may sharpen the text portion of your stunning illustrated poem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good, thought provoking poem on your first attempt. You should do more. To improve this piece, I believe you need the text to pop, it is over powered by the red and all the eye sees is red since it's a bold color—and I can't see the color red, so you know that's something. I think if you can just ignore the first half detail of the image and darken it, your text portion of your illustrated poem will grab the reader too.

I think the answer for this illustration to work better would be to keep the red but darken the background, shadow the contrast down until it's almost black but you can still see the tree shapes. Then use a crisp bright font. White or red. Twould work well, I think.

I think the answer for this illustration to work better would be to keep the red but darken the background, shadow the contrast down until it's almost black but you can still see the tree shapes. Then use a crisp bright font. White or red. Twould work well, I think.
:eek: I thought I said that? I wasn't clear, I meant what you said.

Back