The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the red H, Bear! :rose:

Latte and writing for me.

If you've not read it yet, perhaps I should hint that a certain knowledge of the Discworld might help, as would be an understanding of the style of Terry Pratchett's writing.
But it's a damned good homage, IMO.

Time, I think, for tea.

If you've not read it yet, perhaps I should hint that a certain knowledge of the Discworld might help, as would be an understanding of the style of Terry Pratchett's writing.
But it's a damned good homage, IMO.

Time, I think, for tea.

Yes, bear had mentioned that previously and I am passing familiar with Discworld and Sir Terry. I'm a Sci-fi and Fantasy writer myself. I'd say his works for young people are my favorites, Hat Full of Sky and Wee Free Men. One of my favorite books is one he wrote with Neil Gaiman though, Good Omens.

My second Halloween entry is out to a few beta readers. A little editing and I should be able to squeak it in under the wire. It's a paranormal romance.

Yes, bear had mentioned that previously and I am passing familiar with Discworld and Sir Terry. I'm a Sci-fi and Fantasy writer myself. I'd say his works for young people are my favorites, Hat Full of Sky and Wee Free Men. One of my favorite books is one he wrote with Neil Gaiman though, Good Omens.

My second Halloween entry is out to a few beta readers. A little editing and I should be able to squeak it in under the wire. It's a paranormal romance.

I think "Good Omens" is one of the funniest books in print. I love it when the other shoe drops (particularly War).
The Wee Free Men is a brilliant book. Please don't forget the other two though.
If you've not had a go at it, I recommend you try "Men at Arms"
It's hysterical.
[" wot are a safety catch?" And there was a dead silence.

I'm having trouble with my story, and it's put the Halloween thing well back. :(

Today is the visitation and service for my brother-in-law. At least the weather is nice.

This morning was another cuddle-in. Followed by chocolate milk and donut-holes under a blanket on the floor. Why on the floor, I'm not sure but who am I to object. Two naked ladies trying to fit inside my house coat trumps everything and anything. :)

Okay, it is now coffee time. Fresh coffee all around. I think there may even be a few donut-holes left.

This morning was another cuddle-in. Followed by chocolate milk and donut-holes under a blanket on the floor. Why on the floor, I'm not sure but who am I to object. Two naked ladies trying to fit inside my house coat trumps everything and anything. :)

Okay, it is now coffee time. Fresh coffee all around. I think there may even be a few donut-holes left.

The mind boggles. It really does ! :)

Coffee; it's quite cool out there!

It was a nice afternoon. around 80 degrees with a light breeze. Since i wasn't getting any writing done, I decided yard work needed doing. I even took the riding mower down to the houseguests place and mowed her yard. Her lawn was still well grazed, I mean mowed, from the other morning. :D

Finishing up the last of the coffee and contemplating supper.

I'll make a fresh pot for the shop and freshen the kettle.

Laters...

No coffee today. Not because of the surprise eye surgery yesterday, but due to the cardiologist today, who will have hideous things done to me, but only if I'm not too amped-up on caffeine. Bother. Anyway, I've been assigned a new drug to try out. The medics always ask me, "Are you allergic to any drugs?" and I reply, "I dunno, I haven't tried them all yet." But I'm closing in...

First World Problem: The new GPS is bigger and brighter than the old but she's stupid. The old gal knows all sorts of tricks. I wonder if a mind-meld is possible? Can the data installed on a Garmin 5" be moved to a Garmin 6"?

Damn, yesterday's laser hurt! Snuggling helps alleviate the pain. And the upcoming pizza and beer. Not coffee-flavored beer, either. Or beer-flavored coffee. Hmmm...

Eureka!

I realized that the ending I wanted for my current story was a little too fantastic for me, even in SciFi&Fantasy, and it wasn't even consistent with the key characters. I've spent days now pondering the problem. I described it to my wife and within twenty minutes I had an answer.

My answer didn't come from her (she tends to scoff at my writing), it came from expressing the problem to someone else. My solution adds layers to the characters and to the story overall. Now, as usual, I know the story and I have to figure out how best to tell it.

We've become GPS junkies in a year. We drove home from San Francisco yesterday. Starting back, the GPS died. We must drive a non-trivial route around Sacramento and Stockton today. We thought, "Must replace GPS ASAP!" We stopped at store, bought an upgrade, started car -- and old GPS came back to life. We decided to keep new GPS as backup. QUESTION: Is this a First World Problem?

Yes.

But GPS can be quite engaging, and you can set up a nice relationship with them. I was in NZ last month, the accent was a slightly roboticised Kiwi girl - struggled a bit on some words and yes, we now know that the Thermal Highway is route number one. But in finding the quickest way, the GPS got us on to some very picturesque back roads, which were indeed the quickest way.

Multi- storey car parks were a bit more problematic - it took at least three circuits before she realised we were going around in circles and shut up. You could almost hear the sigh, "well, you could have told me..."

Yes.

But GPS can be quite engaging, and you can set up a nice relationship with them. I was in NZ last month, the accent was a slightly roboticised Kiwi girl - struggled a bit on some words and yes, we now know that the Thermal Highway is route number one. But in finding the quickest way, the GPS got us on to some very picturesque back roads, which were indeed the quickest way.

My second daughter got a grant a few years ago to visit NZ. She's an artists and convinced someone that the trip would develop her art. They also payed for a new printing press. She met up with a long-time forum friend (a rock group forum) and he took her on a tour of both islands.

From her pictures I'd guess that there aren't very many routes in NZ that aren't scenic.

Multi- storey car parks were a bit more problematic - it took at least three circuits before she realised we were going around in circles and shut up. You could almost hear the sigh, "well, you could have told me..."

I think the sighs are perceived more than real, but I've heard them.

A few years ago (eh, 2013?) we drove over the Blue Ridge along the border between Georgia and North Carolina. It was a steep and winding road. My wife drove because she can't stand being a passenger. I had the GPS plugged into my headset while I watched the white-water rafters going by in the gorge below us. It announced the change in the highway name each time we passed from North Carolina to Georgia or back. The chatter was constant.

My brother in law drove the same road in an 18' RV. His knuckles were white and his wife was crawling up his shoulder because she wanted out. She would just fuckin' walk to Cashiers.

Our old GPS is Rita (lovely Rita, meter maid). The new GPS is Grace (Admiral Grace Hopper). Their voices are the same so far but we'll work on that. Their pronunciations of some roadway names are quite amusing-confusing. Not much help for that.

FASTEST mode charts usable routes. SHORTEST mode finds all the shortcuts, practical or not. And both Garmin-brained gals hallucinate roads extant where they ain't. No, I can't cut across a neighbor's yard. No, I won't use that 'road' because deathtrap. STRAIGHT LINE mode is suicidal, motorized.

My brother in law drove the same road in an 18' RV. His knuckles were white and his wife was crawling up his shoulder because she wanted out. She would just fuckin' walk to Cashiers.
We drove that a few months ago in our 25-foot housecar / RV. No problem, except 1) lousy weather and 2) me starting to go blind. How2: Set an easy pace and don't get excited.

Last edited:
I pulled out a stack of handwritten ideas to see if I can find anything worth using for NaNo. Something for me to do tomorrow.

Neil Gaiman and (I think) the BBC are working on a six part television series of Good Omens. From what he's published on Tumblr, it looks to be as hysterical as the book. The angel and the demon are especially well casted (and costumed).

Neil Gaiman and (I think) the BBC are working on a six part television series of Good Omens. From what he's published on Tumblr, it looks to be as hysterical as the book. The angel and the demon are especially well casted (and costumed).

Now THAT is something to look forward to.
Unless, of course, it is decided it will be send abroad first or done at stupid times.
It's a damned good book!

Morning all, Welcome to the end of the work week for those still doing that crap. Although, if done right, retirement is a much busier time in your life.

Fresh coffee is available. Pancakes were on the breakfast menu but we ate them all. :eek:

Back to writing or back to bed? The hard questions of the day will wear you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back