Decadents and Dropouts IC

"Look, you are the one who just started a brush fire visible for miles. You're just lucky I am not a slave trader, because then you'd be surrounded already. But I followed you easy enough, true I've lived in these woods for a while, but still. If you're so paranoid, you should take more care in hiding your tracks," Relic explained. She looked the gorgon up and down for a moment before averting her gaze. The woman carrying the claymore was positioned defensively and it cause a small little smile to creep into the corner of Relics mouth.

"But whatever, I mean, who would believe a thief."

Stepping back a little she flipped her daggers around a few times before flinging one of them at the feet of the gorgon with lightning fast speed. It was aimed a good three feet in front of her, and not putting her in danger in any way. But it was the change in Relic to prepare, or lack of obvious sign that was impressive. Just a glimmer in her eye and the tensing of a few muscles, a split second.

"You wouldn't even hear me, the fact you found me out was nothing more than lucky for you. If it wasn't for my stupid necklace I would have watched you for hours until you fell asleep. Or followed you for days and picked you off, one by one."

Sliding her remaining dagger back into it's sheath she relaxed enough to show she wasn't going to throw anything anymore. She still looked like a street urchin, no more than some scraggy teenager.

"If you want I'll go back to town, otherwise you better figure out if you want to try me. If you have nothing of value then I'm no longer interested. I could be off finding treasures or hunting game."
 
Verialyn Kallidis

Time slowed down for Verialyn the moment the drow's wrist began to flick, turning the movements of the others into a crawl. As Relic let loose one of the knifes Verialyn was about to intervene, but then noticed the trajectory of the dagger. It would not harm anyone, no need to show her powers just now.

Verialyn relaxed somewhat outwardly as the drow put her other weapon away, but she still kept her guard. This might be a valuable ally, if she could be trusted.

"She has a point about the fire" Verialyn said to Phyliss. "How about we quickly extinguish it, and then talk about the other matters?"
 
This would be a good time to show a sign of good faith, Relic thought to herself. She contemplated running, but there was something rather attractive about this group that drew her into it. Of course she would never admit that openly.

"Here, since I partially caused it, I'll help keep it from the eyes of others whilst you extinguish the flames."

Taking a moment she concentrated, before casting a powerful drow magic. She was slowly surrounded by darkness, and not visible to anyone anymore. Then the darkness swept over each of them as if moving away from Relic with a constant pulse. The light from the flames disappearing before their eyes for a few seconds. The wall of pure darkness fell over the area, a dome growing in size. It continued to grow larger and larger until it covered the land that was burning. The wall stopping the light from piercing the night, making it invisible to wanderers, or anyone trying to follow the group.

Whilst she did this she kept her eyes open, but it was obvious more was going on behind her blank stare. Her arms moving out wider as if holding the darkness up. Then, she blinked a few times and breathed out heavily. Composing herself as she lowered her arms. They could see the flickering of flames reflecting off the dome. She was still keeping the spell going though, even though she looked like she simply stood there.

"I find it much easier to steal when others cannot see, you see."
 
Last edited:
Phyliss Ovida

"This drow is getting annoying, but she will find that she is not the only one who likes to remain unseen from time to time." As Phyliss didn't worked so much on her attack spells- they are not so useful if you are own you're own, she was always more keen to develop protection skills. Ans she was quite able of some camouflage, at least in nature. The grorgon folded literally into the ground and was gone. Phyliss knew she had to give up the spell if she wanted to attack, but there was no need to hurry things to fast. Just observe from the save place. It is surely not the first time there is a bushfire around, so why worry. It would extinguish sooner or later all from self. Anyhow, she just learned how to start a fire, not how to put it out.
 
Last edited:
Phyliss Ovida

Phyliss was still angry about Dea, and this drow even annoyed her more. So she used her camouflage to calm down and think before she did something stupid again. First she wanted just to appear behind that drow and give her a little shock, and then a second one if this brat would notice that her dagger wouldn't harm her at all. And then she would tell her that she could produce some fog as well and it wasn't such a big thing to be proud of it. But at second thought, she wouldn't, because she didn't want to give away her advantages so easy. Then, she was still anxious what Canut would do. He kept silent, but she knew that he had quite potent magic. Maybe he would blast her away and she didn't want to interact. And third, mabye this was a good possibility to get rid of the dog-creature. If that drow would take Koetia away, to bad. Canut would come over this. And one more reason, maybe the bush fire could erase their traces quite well. Certainly any pursuer wouldn't expect them to start a bushfire... Although she still thought that fires of that kind wouldn't be that seldom in the wilderness anyway. It was beginning to cease already, because the dry bushes were nearly burnt up.
 
The carpet of darkness remained until only smoke remained, and Relic collected her dagger before sheathing it again. The gorgon had disappeared, but it was probably for the best. She had noticed that the shroud of darkness hadn't encased that one, magic of some sort kept other magic away. A shield, not uncommon. Relic would remember that. Earlier she had spied Verialyn place a hand on Phyliss' shoulder, so physical contact was possible. Maybe you just had to get inside that shell, only time would tell.

She walked over to speak with the claymore wielder. The sword not as proportionate when compared with the woman, it overpowered her appearance. Taking away from her beauty a little bit, but still, it only took a glance to see the person had just as much to stare at.

"Your button is missing you know," she stated, tipping her head in gesture towards the open shirt.

"So, shall I let you slit my throat and be done with it. Or should I make myself useful and fetch game? Or just disappear into the shadows..."

There was a warmth that emitted from Verialyn, and Relic almost had the desire to just reach over and hug her. But that wouldn't suit, and would make her look insane, backing up the gorgon's suspicions.
 
Great. Just like when she was five years old and they were arguing who could hide better...

After a quick glance to he rruined vest Verialyn turned to the drow. "Yes, I know. It got torn off when we made our escape" The dark elf probably had overheard most of their conversation, so there was no need to try to hide secrets from her that she knew anyways, and look stupid in the process.

"If you insist I will oblige and slit your throat, but I do not think that will be necessary.

I would invite you to stay with us, but there is the issue that you openly admitted that it was your intention to rob us. The fact THAT you did admit it is in your favour, though. I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I can not speak for my companios. You will have nothing to gain but our company, though.

Phyliss, come back up, I do not think she will harm us."
 
Relic smiled and laughed softly, rather unlike her but she found it hilarious. Sometimes she worried herself. "Maybe you'll have to punish me later, if you can catch me." She did a quick like back flip away, before lifting herself vertically off the ground on her hands. Walking around she looked like a total idiot, but she often liked to play around.

The topic of her not getting anything more than companionship was saddening and she righted herself to walk normally. "I'll have to take my chances that at some point I can get spoils of war. You'll be heading down the towns along the river I assumed anyway, always spoils to be had. Will you take a moral stance on my profession if I make sure not to do anything to your group, or near your group for that matter? Just because I am a thief doesn't mean I cannot be reasonable."

Or did it, sometimes she wondered, but personally she didn't find making enemies of everyone that advantageous.
 
Phyliss Ovida

Phyliss reappeared, still spouting a bit. "I don't think she can harm us, even if she likes to."
She was certain that Verialyn cut cut the drow down any time, and she wasn't that defenseless either. she wondered a little what Canut was up to, but she believed that he wouldn't be that impressed, to.
Ok, everybody had his chance, and she just said that she didn't cared for the race and outer appearance if there was some brain and reason. Nevertheless, she still didn't trust that drow,and she sure wasn't to blow. She would try to protect Verialyn and Canut if neccassary. Koetia? Ummm, she did have a very personal reason that filled her with repulsion regarding her. She would try to accept her, just for the Kobalds sake.
"I am here."
 
Verialyn could not help it and smiled. That drow girl walking around in a handstand before her and making funny comments about being punished did not match in the least what a drow was supposed to be according to the stories - and her own past experiences. Judging from her behavior she must be either very young or have a very unusual past. Or both. She was lacking the ingrained vileness common for her people, which became unavoidable after serving the spider goddess for a while.

And no, she would not make any moral objections against thievery, considering how she herself came into the possession of her horse and the claymore just hours ago.

"I find your offer acceptable. There might be spoils sooner or later, just none that I can promise. And if the tales about your people are correct, you will be an asset. But this is not solely my decision." Verialyn looked towards Phyliss and Canut.
 
Phyliss Ovida

Phyliss didn't need a mirror to know that she was sulking.
"I really trusted the last drow I met. " she said. In fact she even thought about doing much more then to like him only, but she would be damned if she told that.
"He seemed quite human for his race, not quite the typical drow. Nevertheless, he might have tried to sell me to the slavetraders."
 
Relic frowned slightly, she had been learning of her people over the years but had never formed the same affiliation for the Spider Goddess. In fact, of the drow she met on the road she found them quiet boring, and bland. It was her time growing up over the past hundred years playing with the new generations of street children that had shaped her the most. But she kept that under her...hood for now. Speaking of which, she pushed the dark hood of her cloak back to reveal herself. It probably hadn't helped then relax around her. But now her childish looks were more apparent, and she looked around eighteen in human terms. To be honest, although she was smart, it wasn't something she enjoyed showing often.

"I'll do my best, although I've never been officially trained in my kinds ways. Most of the time I learn as I go. In this part of the world it's difficult not taking on some human attributes."

The gorgon had reappared, and Relic smiled inside as she talked of almost getting sold off. "I can see why." Her thoughts remained unspoken as she began to circle Verialyn, examining her claymore.

"Yours? she questioned, "Not really your size is it?"
 
Verialyn's eyes followed the drow girl strolling around her.

"Yup, mine. Yes, it seems a little large, but it is easy enough to wield once you get used to it." Verialyn thought about her last words. It was true. With her strength she should not have a problem with wielding a claymore anyways, but this one required indeed very little effort. Had Ulfgard gotten himself an enchanted blade - and a good one at that? She would have to examine the sword closer as soon as she had the opportunity.

"Not all human attributes are bad, and - please do not be offended - it might actually be an advantage that you are not trained in all the ways of your people."
 
Phyliss Ovida

Phyliss walked over to Verialynn and whispered in her ear. Mybe the drow could hear her, but she didn't really care.
"Why should we take her along, what use is she? Childish antics and dilettantish attempts off robbery - that is all what she offered so far."
 
Relic picked up on the whisper with relative ease thanks to her racial attributes, and smiled, crossing her arms across her chest. It was true, she didn't have a wealth of magical power like many of the others. She wasn't able to cleave a person in half like Verialyn, or work under extreme heats like the reptilian who seemed to have a fancy on the poor dog girl, but she could infiltrate and do her job up until now with disciplined expertise. Not that she acted like it.

"And I'm guessing because all I've seen of you is that you hide like a coward behind a shield, a penetrable one at that. And stand behind a fighter to do your battles for you. Melting away into the ground when you get a temper tantrum. Igniting your surroundings and giving away your position without further thought. If that is the only reason you are with this merry band then you must either be exquisite in bed, or just damn lucky to have found them. At least I can admit there may be more to you than just that.

For someone who seems to judge others so harshly, I wonder if you can take the judgment yourself."


She was getting a very high and mighty sort of feeling off the gorgon, yet it didn't match the rest of the group much. Relic doubted they would get along, but she was willing to just ignore the woman.
 
Verialyn could not believe it. Was she really witnessing a cat fight here?

In a way it was amusing. By their very appearances both Phyliss and Relic were shunned by the general populace and had to fight against superstition and intolerance. But once they faced each other they were exhibiting the same traits they abhorred in the humans around them.

Calmly she addressed the two: "Ladies, please, if the fire has not attracted any pursuers, your quarreling most likely will. And if they are slavers they would probably be just as happy to catch a drow as they would like to get hold of a gorgon.

So can we please calm down? I am convinced we all have our useful talents."
 
Phyliss Ovida

The gorgon turned around. "If I do not attack any people without being forced to it is just my good will. You are lucky that we let you alive after you tried to rob us. We are not criminals or murderers, sneaking upon honest travelers. If you are looking for that kind of bunch, you better move on."

Phyliss couldn't see canut anymore. Maybe he used their quarrel to sneak away, to prepare any cunning plan he made. Or he had some kind of magic camouflage himself and had just decided to use it now. They would hear from him again, she was sure about that.
 
Last edited:
Coughing a few times, Relic burst out laughing, but kept her voice down. "Not murderers? Not criminals? I'm sure someone may disagree back in town. But, considering that," she nodded to Verialyn in acknowledgement of her smart words, "our location does need to remain secret I will leave you be."

Turning to Verialyn she held out her hand, "Relic You'terian at your service."

Her last name was not that of her birth, but of her 'father', the mountain man who had trained her in survival and hunting. But she used it, because without that man, she wouldn't have need of a name in the first place.
 
Phyliss Ovida

The gorgon sulked a little at first but came out of it. Verialynn was right, there was no time for quarrels now. Still, she had wanted to turn that wanton drow into stone, but Verialynn would have disapproved of that, and so she would not do that. Only if this drow would turn their back to them to sell them out to slavetraders or doing something else of that kind.
 
Verialyn Kallidis

Verialyn accepted Relic's hand. "Verialyn Kallidis, nice to meet you. Our bedrolls are over there, as you probably noticed already. Would you join us for the night?"

Verialyn trusted her instincts on this one. She had been very rarely wrong doing so, and her gut clearly told her that currently there was no danger coming from the drow. And should it come to another confrontation with the salvers she would actually be quite useful.

Now the only problem was to make sure Relic and Phyliss got along well enough. They would make a formidable team the. Verialyn had to smile at the thought.
 
Relic quickly bowed at the gesture Verialyn made, shaking her hand quickly before turning to look at where the fire had been. "My horse is back there, do you have game to eat?" She had remembered the sack of supplies that were tied to her saddle, inside cured meat and a loaf of not too stale flat bread.

Pulling the hood of her cloak up again she prepared to head off. Willing to hunt for them if they required a proper meal, and to give them a way of building a campfire to cook it without it getting seen from afar.

She wouldn't walk around the group like she was on broken glass, if they had made it clear that if she didn't betray them they would allow her to tag along then she would pull her weight. Her hand settled on her hip, close to the dagger she used to hunt with. Most of the poisons she used were long lasting, and would ruin something if they wanted to eat it.
 
Phyliss Ovida

Phyliss walked silently over to her blanket and set down on it. She started to browse through her clothes and tried to decide what to put on tommorrow. She looked over her shoulder to see if Canut was there, but he hadn't shown up yet. That dog-creature wasn't to be seen either. So she had probably followed him, and he was not invisible but hiding or on his way to somewhere. If Verialynn would insist to leave, he would leave him a message. He might track them without such a help, but just to be sure of it. She just had to think about a save message that would be of no use to any other pursuers.
 
Verialyn Kallidis

"Go fetch your horse then, we will wait for you."

Then she considered Relic's offer. Sooner or later the topic of her particular diet would have to be brought up, but even though she trusted the drow she opted for "later". Phyliss however, might be hungry. The meal she had had at the tavern was not that big.

"I myself have eaten well this evening and am not hungry, how about you Phyliss?"
 
Phyliss Ovida

"If we reach the city tommorrow, I will have something there." she said.
 
Verialyn Kallidis

"Very well, then there is no need to hunt for game tonight. Go and get your horse, Relic, and then let's get to bead so we can rise early tomorrow and be on our way. I will hold the first watch."

With these words Verialyn resumed her position on the tree stump and settled in for the coming hours.
 
Back
Top