OOC: "Astronauts and Amazons"

Ritapita

Really Experienced
Joined
Oct 14, 2017
Posts
122
Last edited:
Rita
  • Formerly a doctor aboard the International Spacecraft Assembly Station (ISAS).
  • One of only 15 survivors of the cryogenic stasis failure aboard the Europa Bound.
  • Physical description:
    • Image
    • 32 years old.
    • 5'9", 34B-24-34, 122#.
    • Blonde hair (originally light brunette; genetically altered in her teens to remain as is now).
    • Hazel-green eyes.
  • Psychological description:
    • Highly intelligent; a quick study; thirsty for knowledge.
    • Well educated and well ahead of her age group: High School Diploma (at 14), Bachelors (at 16), Masters (at 17), Medical Degree (at 20), completed Residency (at 21), PhD (at 24), Astronaut Training Program (at 27), ISAS Certification and Assignment (at 30).
 
Last edited:


ISAS: International Spacecraft Assembly Station.
  • In orbit of Earth (440 miles above the surface).
  • Location where parts and modules of spacecraft had been assembled for missions to Mars, Jupiter (and Europa), and Saturn.
  • Ring shaped station that spins to produce artificial gravity (85% of Earth norm).

Ramjet: A horizontal take off vehicle capable of reaching and returning from space. Ramjets were used to ferry passengers and cargo to the ISAS.
 
History and Events Worth Remembering​

Prior to the beginning of our role play:

2187:
  • July/August:
    • The remaining 224 settlers bound for Europa were lifted by Ramjet from Mission Control in Houston to the International Spacecraft Assembly Station (ISAS), orbiting 440 miles above Earth.
    • Upon arrival, they were given their last medical checkups and then put into cryogenic stasis aboard the Europa Bound.
    • The ship, scheduled to depart for Europa in October, was awaiting one final all important supply delivery.
  • September:
    • An exchange of nuclear weapons occurred.
    • The damage was devastating, and it was believed that human life on Earth cease to exist.
    • The Europa Bound's senior Command Staff was reanimated to be informed of the situation.
    • Without the supplies necessary, the mission was scrubbed.
    • Days of discussions about the future of Humanity resulted in the decision that the Europans (and some station personnel who wished to join them, including main character Doctor Rita Carter) would remain in stasis until the Earth could once again support life.
    • The best estimate for a return to Earth was 40-80 years.
    • But a glitch in the programming of the Artificial Intelligence of the station (which had been programmed to override the AI of the ship) caused the settlers and crew to remain in stasis far longer than that.
    • In the meantime, additional programming instructed the AI to direct resources away from certain cryogenic stasis beds to others should the system not be able to support all of them.
2639:
  • 11 November:
    • Doctor Rita Carter, 1 of only 5 Cryogenic Technicians put into stasis in 2187, is reanimated.
    • The AI catches her up on the situation, including the fact that of 224 Europans and 28 crew put into stasis, only 15 (including Rita) survived.
  • 14 November:
    • Rita reanimates the 14 survivors.
    • She explains that the station will not support all of them long term and that they must return to Earth.
    • The AI has determined that the only place suitable for return is a location in the Brazilian Amazon.
 
Lazo
  • Marshall of the Maraba Tribe.
  • Physical description:
    • Image
    • 32 years old.
    • 5ft 11in, 185 lbs; very fit.
    • Dark brunette hair, deep brown eyes.
    • Decorative facial scars curving around his eyes from cheeks to forehead, with additional ink tattoos bordering them.
    • Additional tattoos on his torso and arms, to be described later.
  • Psychological description:
    • Intelligent, quick witted, intuitive.
    • Confident, strong willed, calculating.
    • Violent and fierce when needed; a true warrior (kill first, ask questions later).
    • Semi-literate in Portuguese and English; he can read most of the words, but that doesn't mean that he knows what they all mean.
    • A true male chauvinist: believes that men are the masters and women are the servants, as is the Tribe's tradition.
  • History:
    • Son of a Council member.
      • Was initially trained and educated to one day replace his father on the Council: learned to speak Portuguese and English, the primary languages of the Maraba Tribe; and to a lesser extent learned to read both as well. Learned the history of the Tribe and the world before the apocalypse (although that history was selectively taught to the descendants of the apocalypse's first generation of survivors, called the Founders).
      • However, he yearned for action and eventually convinced his father to let him train as a Patrolman (or warrior).
    • At age 13, entered manhood:
      • Participated and performed well in his Coming of Age Ceremony (to be described later, perhaps).
      • Fathered his first Village Child.
        • As is the tradition to genetically diversify the population, males conclude their Ceremony by breeding with women called Breeders.
        • These women are sometimes Freemen but are more often than not Slaves.
        • They are not married to Tribal males because they may one day be traded to other tribes, but if a male desires one as a wife, he can take her as such.
        • The children born to these women are called Village Children, and while they, too, can be traded to other tribes, this typically only happens during their toddler years before any investment of education or training begins.
        • Over the subsequent two decades of Lazo's adulthood (age 13 to present), he has fathered 12 Village Children, in addition to his own children.
    • Became a husband at 14:
      • Took his first wife at 14, another at 16, and another at 19.
      • The first died in shortly after the birth of their second child; and the third died after coming into contact with a poisonous frog.
      • The three wives gave Lazo 9 children, 5 of whom are still alive:
        • 2 boys, ages 19 and 12. The elder is a Patrolman; the younger a Council novitiate, as Lazo once had been.
        • 3 girls, ages 18, 16, and 6. The eldest is married with two children, one a newborn Village Child being raised by a Breeder; the middle girl is married with a child; and the youngest is being trained to be a Healer, the female stay in the village counterpart to the Medicine Men, who are Patrolmen.
    • At 20, he met the Amazons for the first time at the Sand Points Bazaar. He was both impressed with and disgusted by the idea of breeder warriors.
    • At 24, Lazo rose to Captain of a Patrol.
    • At 27, his issues with the Amazons began:
      • He began leading his Patrol deep into the Frontier separating the Maraba and Amazon Territories.
      • He wasn't intentionally trying to provoke a confrontation, but he also wasn't too concerned about one taking place.
      • At 29, he got his wish, sort of.
      • A different Patrol disappeared from the face of the planet, presumably an act of violence at the hands of the Amazons as it was their shared border.
      • He led his own Patrol into the Amazon frontier, intentionally seeking confrontation.
      • He had three encounters with them, suffering three injured men but no fatalities.
      • The Marshall of the times petitioned the Council to shift Lazo's Patrol away from the Amazon border, though, fearing a war.
      • Since then, tension between the two tribes has been high, and members of each tribe have been captured and/or killed by the other.
    • Reaching 30, Lazo began seeking the Marshall's badge:
      • He began to speak out against the current Marshall, who he thought was weak in the face of the Amazon danger and failing the Tribe.
      • During the cold war, the Maraba lost 7 Patrolmen to fights with the Amazons with no confirmed kills of their own.
      • At 32, Lazo petitioned the Council for permission to challenge the Marshall for possession of the Badge (and, therefore, the position of Marshall):
      • The Council -- the fifteen eldest Tribe members who wish to serve in such capacity -- voted 9-6 to let Lazo challenge the Marshall.
      • The knife fight lasted all of twelve seconds with Lazo winning easily.
      • As is tradition, the deceased Marshall's family was exiled with all the possessions they could carry and his remaining possessions given to the Council to distribute as they saw fit.
  • Since then:
    • Lazo has been testing the border with the Amazons, looking for vulnerabilities.
    • The Council asked him on three occasions to explain why he hadn't yet avenged the seven lost lives.
    • Lazo explained that he wasn't interested in a life for a life. He wanted to utterly destroy their tribe and seize their territory, killing warriors as necessary and turning the rest of them -- and the entire female population -- into Breeders for Maraba.
 
(OOC: I loved your profile for Lazo, so I copied it here and just changed what needed to be changed. You're better at this than I am.)


Sharra
  • Queen of the Amazons, the 9th of the current blood line.
  • Physical description:
    • Image
    • 24 years old.
    • 5'6"; 34B-24-32.
    • Long, straight, red hair.
    • Pale blue eyes.
    • Pierced belly button is decorated differently for various reasons, to be talked of periodically.
  • Psychological description:
    • Intelligent, knowledgeable of her world.
    • Confident, determined.
    • Dedicated to her people.
    • Not afraid to shed blood when necessary, though not overly brutal except when necessary.
    • Illiterate yet speaks 4 local indigenous languages, Portuguese, Spanish, German, and English.
    • Dedicated to the idea that women should control every aspect of their own lives, the underlying philosophy of the Amazons.
  • History:
    • Birth and youth:
      • 9th in a line of Amazon Queens.
      • She was 3rd of her mother's 5 children (male, male, female, female, male).
      • Her brothers were traded, as described below.
      • As were all females, Sharra was trained as a warrior.
      • However, because she was 2nd in succession to rule, she was told she would never participate in patrols where she may possibly be killed.
    • Coming to power:
      • To secure peace with a neighboring Tribe, Sharra's older sister, Lora, bred with the son of a neighboring tribe's Chieftain.
      • However, Lora died during childbirth.
      • The Queen demanded that Sharra step up and produce a child, but she refused.
      • Tensions rose, and a peace negotiation was planned.
      • But it was an ambush: the Queen and 6 other Amazons were killed.
      • The next day, Sharra was declared Queen. She was 16.
      • Her first action was to seek revenge for her mother's murder:
        • She sent the entire Amazon force of 46 warriors to the village.
        • Over a 6 day period, the Amazons used bows and darts with poisoned tips to strike from afar, defeating the village's male centered defenses.
        • Sharra made an offer to the females of the village: kill or turn over the remaining males, and they and their children would live.
        • It worked, and the females of the village overthrew the remaining males.
        • The adult males were executed, the teen males exiled, and the women given the choice of self exile, of joining the Amazons, or of remaining in their village as subjects of the Amazon Queen with the same rules about the disposition of male children to be born in the future (explained at a link soon to be placed here).
    • Securing lasting power:
      • Sharra knew there were Amazons who had been unhappy with her mother's rule but had submitted because control of the Tribe was hereditary.
      • The Tribe's continued existence depended upon the cunning and skill of its warriors.
      • Therefore, Sharra declared that each and every full moon, any Amazon who had killed in the protection of the Tribe could challenge for leadership of the Tribe.
      • The very first full moon, a challenge was issued by Maria, a skilled warrior who had led many successful attacks and ambushes and felt she was more deserved of the title.
      • Sharra easily defeated her competitor in a brutal, hand to hand fight.
      • Then, to show continued unity, Sharra made Maria, her Lieutenant. As such, Maria would take control of the Tribe should Sharra die. Some thought it opened Sharra to potential betrayal, and yet 8 years later Maria was still Sharra's most trusted warrior.
      • Despite calling for challenges every full moon since that day, no one has ever challenged Sharra.
    • Lack of breeding:
      • Since the title of Queen was no longer inherited, Sharra felt no need to breed and produce an heir.
      • There is nothing else to say about her sex life at this point.
 
International Spacecraft Assembly Station (ISAS)

SShzeBs.jpg

Primary Purpose: Provide a location for the assembly of spacecraft interplanetary spacecraft.

Constructed: 2027-39 (with constant additions and upgrades)

Last Project: Europa Bound, a settlement ship meant to transport 224 crew/settlers to Jupiter's 6th moon.

Cancellation of Europa Bound: Nuclear holocaust of 2187 caused last crucial supply mission to arrive. Settlers were already in cryogenic stasis.

Result of cancellation of Europa Bound mission:
  • Most of ISAS crew joined the settlers in cryogenic stasis.
  • The ISAS's Artificial Intelligence was programmed to reanimate the settlers/crew when Earth could again support human life.
  • It was estimated that 30-60 might be necessary, and that the AI would balance a safe return to Earth with the cryogenic stasis system's ability to keep its patrons alive.

Actual outcome:
  • The programming of the AI had been flawed, and the stasis period lasted 552 years instead until the year 2739.
  • The inability of the cryogenic stasis to maintain all lives resulted in it selectively preserving the lives of only 15 survivors.
  • Other system failures resulted in the depressurization of key compartments and systems (such as hydroponics) that would have been necessary for continued life on the ship or station, so the decision to return to Earth was a simple one.
  • Only 1 place on Earth that appeared capable of supporting life was easily accessible by the ISAS's escape shuttles: the Amazon.

Returning to Earth:
  • Of the 15 survivors, 11 boarded shuttles for Earth and 4 chose to make a go of life aboard the ISAS.
  • The station AI programmed 2 shuttles to glide down into a relatively clear, relatively flat area in North Central Brazil southwest of the former city of Maraba.
  • Both shuttles suffered navigational issues and crashed in the rain forest, approximately 20 miles apart on opposite sides of the intended landing zone.
  • Doctor Rita Clark and 4 settlers descended in the 1st shuttle. Clark survived (but with serious injuries), 2 died, and 2 (1 male, 1 female, both unidentified) were missing.
  • Hydroponics Specialist Marlon Riggs and Medical Assistant Allie Davis descended with 4 others in the 2nd shuttles. Riggs survived (miraculously without injury) as did Davis (with only soft tissue damage); 3 died, and 1 (unidentified male) was missing.

After (crash) landing:
  • The survivors were shocked to find humans alive and well on the ground.
  • Rita Clark was capture by Lazo, Marshall of the Maraba Tribe.
  • Marlon Riggs was captured by Sharra, Queen of the Amazons, and was immediately forced to prove his value by breeding with Kiera, one of Sharra's warriors.
 
Back
Top