Guilty or Innocent- Closed

Perplexia

Romance embellisher
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Posts
18,221
From her first day on earth, she had been difficult. As she had grown, she became rebellious, ruthless, disregarded orders, and did things her own way. Chloe Heart was raised as a vampire slaying machine for the Hunters League. They installed the hate and furry in her from a toddler, vampires had killed her parents. Her purpose on earth was to destroy them all. The amount of times she had heard them referred to as monsters, soulless creatures that prey upon the innocent and kill without any regard, was in the billions.

At first they had tried to have her work with a team. But she found it too slow, and ineffective. They then tried a partner, but he quit after only working two missions with her. The words he used were ‘sadistic, narcissistic, and unhinged’ in his description of working with her. Of course he had also lost his left hand when he tried to man handle her. There were very few women hunters. It was more of a man’s world. But after her partners unfortunate accident, as she claimed that it was in her report. No other hunter was willing to work with her.

At 25, she was alone in the world. Her job, was her life. It wasn’t that she was great at it, but it was a deep seeded passion that raged with in her. She loved the thrill of the hunt, the tracking, the finding, the revealing information through torture, and then the final euphoric moment of ending their existence. It was even more grand when they begged for it. Through the years she had discovered a few things inconsistent with what she had been led to believe.

Not all vampires where murderers. It was rather hard for her to wrap her head around that fact until she had come across a couple, a vampire and a human. He was feeding from her breast as she rode him into orgasmic bliss. When she approached the human stood between her and her lover pleading for his life. They had been together for 5 years, and she was his food source.

The woman swore that he had never forced her to do anything, that he had treated her better than any human male she had ever dated. It was difficult for Chloe to process this information, than the vampire spoke, begging that if she must kill him to not do it in front of his girlfriend. He didn’t want her to see that kind of violence. That was the first time Chloe had ever turned around and left without killing a vampire.

It was the first time she also found fault with the Hunters League, and began to reevaluate what they had taught her over the years. She went from being a regular hunter, to a wanted list mercenary. The newest arrival to the list was a 300 year old vampire by the name of Nathan Raynes. With a rash of murders all with his name on it, he was next on her list.

While on the plane to London to pick back up his trail, she went over the evidence. His case was different. For a vampire to have lived for as long as he had without being on the Hunters League radar, meant that he followed the teachings of the ancients. Feed to survive, kill to defend, and turn to ensure your clans survival. But this type of behavior he was being accused of seemed closer to that a young vampire. It was reckless, unorganized, and cried out for attention.

She had been on his trail for only a few months now, but it seemed that he was generally a step ahead of her. That generally pointed to a leak in the league. She had her tracker removed at the last spot she was at, and cut off communications to go dark. If she had any chance of catching him, it would have to be without any of her Leagues resources.
 
Nathan stood at the window of his study looking out at the grey clouds and rain. A typical summer day in the UK. The windows were covered in a special film preventing any UV rays entering to harm him or his family while allowing the light of day to flood in, even if that light was dreadfully dull. He fingered the glass in his hand, the red contents s wishing slightly as he contemplated the manicured gardens outside his mansion. He sighed and looked again at the clouds. The weather seemed to be matching his inner turmoil. For most of his three hundred years on this planet he had remained hidden. His Sire had taught him the rules of this game, how to survive, how to be smart, clever. Never leave a trail, look to the future for though immortal he knew he was not invulnerable. Death could come to him from the edge of a sharp blade held by a cunning hunter as easily as it could any of his kind. So, he had laid low. Always good with numbers he had nurtured his wealth, investing smartly, watching it grow, but as the years went on he began to use intermediaries rather than deal with humans himself. It was easy to form a buffer of human familiars around him with the promise of bringing them over if they performed well in his service. However he was selective as to those he did deliver the gift of immortality to. His family was small, elite and he had taught them well, or so he had thought.

He ran a hand through his short black hair as a knock came at the door of the study. Turning to face it he called for the person to enter and watched as that small family walked into his private abode and stood respectfully before his desk. He looked them all over, eleven in total, of differing ages, some young, some older, all immortal through his gift, all bound to him by blood. He let the silence linger, using it. They all wondered why they had been summoned. He knew that fear was eating at them. Why had their Master called upon them? Family gatherings were few and far between for safeties sake as much as anything. Only something dire could have made Nathan Raynes break his routine. Dressed in a smart grey tailored business suit which fit perfectly and showed off his toned, muscled physique while not being overly dramatic, he knew that that and his handsome ageless face, that of a 34 year old despite his age being measured in centuries, gave him some sway with the females in this world, even some males, and he wasn't above using that.

He moved to stand behind his desk, placing the glass on the dark mahogany wood as he ran a hand down a sheet of paper in front of him. His computer monitor flashed to life as a message came in for him. He quickly read it, his expression not altering at all. Finally he looked up at the men and women standing before him.

"Children, thank you for coming at such short notice." His tone was polite, warm even. His voice was deep and soothing, but they all knew that it could drop into a bone chilling growl when aroused to anger. "Please, recite to me my rules?" He turned his back to them and gazed up at the self portrait above his desk.

"Never kill a human unless to protect yourself or the family or on the orders of our Master. Never feed in places where such activity may be seen. Never tell a human our secret unless ordered to do so. Never place ourselves above the good of the family on pain of death."

The voices rose as one, speaking together making an almost harmonious sound in the wood panelled room. Nathan smiled and nodded, turning back to them he walked around the desk to stand before them.

"Just so. We live by these rules, these laws. They keep us safe, alive. I am over three hundred years old because I have lived by them always." His expression was one of fatherly concern now. "So would any of you like to explain to me why it is my name has appeared on the Hunters League list of wanted vampires? Also, how it is possible one of their very best and most skilled hunters, Chloe Heart, just touched down at a London airport and is no doubt even now beginning her investigation with a desire to end my life?"

He held his hand out imploringly to them all as they cast glances back and forth. He watched their expressions, from confused, to scared, to ... smug ... ahhh, there it was. Pride, one of mans seven sins but also it seemed one of for vampires too. Nathan was proud of his ability to read people well, to know their inner selves, it was one of the things he used in deciding who to turn and who to leave well alone. But, as with anything, sometimes his gut failed him. Anthony Farris looked to be in his early twenties and had been turned by Nathan a little over thirty years ago. A soldier by training he had returned to the UK wounded in action. His record had been exemplary, and his wound received while trying to help a fallen comrade during a battle. The young man was single, no parents, no siblings and his life was over. Nathan had felt sure that turning such a man would be for the best, for both himself and Tony and it had seemed to be the case. After the usual initial disgust and terror at finding out what he had become, Tony Farris had quickly become one of Nathan's most trusted lieutenants. Indeed he had been given a position as one of Raynes personal guards.

Recently though he had begun to voice discontent at how Nathan ran his family. How vampires, obviously superior to humans in every way should be leading the masses not hiding in the shadows. It was a view Raynes had heard many times before and usually it was quick to vanish as time wore on and the vampire in question saw the big picture. Tony had been silent on the issue the last weeks after a full blown argument with Raynes which led to Nathan slapping Farris so hard he had crumpled to the floor. Nathan had hoped that was the end to it, but then the killings, the murders had begun. Obviously undertaken by a vampire Nathan had put his best investigator, Farris, in charge of hunting the rogue down. But the killings continued and in every case some small sign or clue that a dumb local cop would overlook somehow came to light for the League pointing to Raynes and dragging him into the light for the first time in centuries.

"Tony, step forward. You have been overseeing these murders that have been laid at my feet, what news do you bring?"

Farris stepped forward as ordered, his eyes raising to his Master's unflinching. "So far I have found no clue as to the identity of the rouge who has invaded our territory. He hides himself well, but seems to make no effort to hide his kills."

"So a vampire so sloppy he leaves his kills to be found by the local authorities is smart enough to outwit you ...? Is that what you are telling me?"

A flicker of anger in Tony's eyes made Nathan smile slightly. He had never been good at hiding his emotions. "I am saying, I have not caught him 'yet', my Master"

"Hmm, I see, yes. I think maybe it would be more helpful to your investigation if the person you hunt ... wasn't the same as the person doing the hunting." Raynes smile was again fatherly, but also showed a small sign of regret.

"I don't understand ..." Even as he spoke Farris was moving, the sharp machete style blade sheathed at his waist flashing upwards in a skillful and fluid fashion, it's intent to sever Nathan's head from his body.

Unfortunately for the young vampire he was facing a seasoned veteran of many battles. As Tony had begun to speak, Nathan had been ready for his next move. He had read it in the mans body posture, the way he tensed his muscles, so even as Tony unsheathed the blade Nathan was ducking under it, inside the swing, blocking it with his left arm even as he allowed his claws to extend from his right hand and tore out Tony's throat. For a second both men stood together, blood splattering Nathan's face and suit, dripping to the floor, and then Farris crumbled to the ground, the blade clattering next to him, the rest of the family watching in shocked silence. Removing a white hanky from his breast pocket, Nathan wiped the blood from his face then threw it on top of the body even as the door opened and two men walked swiftly in and removed Farris from the room.

"Betrayal will always be dealt with in such a way, let this be a lesson to you all. Anthony believed if the Hunters removed me as head of this House then he could take my place. He had followers amongst some of our familiars, but they are being taken care of as we speak." He walked back behind his desk and sat in his chair, fingers steepled before him. "Any of you who harbour similar ambitions as Tony be warned, I will find out and next time my punishment will not be so quick and clean. For now we have bigger issues however. Go, find Chloe Heart, but do not engage her, she will kill you. No, find her, then tell me her location. I will deal with the young lady ... one way or the other."
 
Chloe reclined her seat as she pondered all of the information in front of her. Perhaps it hadn’t been so much that he had been a step ahead of her, as much as it was someone leading her back to him. She had been hunting vampires long enough to know that if they were running from her. They wouldn’t have time to continue to create massacres at each stop. No it was done deliberately to gain the attention of the league. Someone wanted this 300 year old out of the picture. At this point she was ready to bet that it was probably over territory.

It was hard to tell, there was no information on Nathan Raynes until recently. Of course this also entered her decision that he was more than likely set up. One doesn’t just become careless and break habits they had practiced for centuries. Unless he had gone insane She had heard of some cases where some of the ancients had gone feral. But regardless of whether he was guilty or not. He made the list. There was no reprieve, like her earlier assignments. She could just tell them it was done and they’d hand her a new one never checking.

She was supposed to locate, and remove him and all of his followers. Generally she just worried about the head of the coven/clan, and then called in a team to clear the rest out. She gathered if he was set up, the idiot who did it, wasn’t aware he’d end up dead as well. Still with all she had learned about her League, she wasn’t thrilled with the idea of having to kill one that wasn’t guilty. Of course the League didn’t care about innocence or guilt. He was a vampire, therefore he must die.

Chloe knew better than to try and negotiate on his behalf. It would immediately turn her into a sympathizer and her life would be forfeit for all of the knowledge she held. All she could hope for now was that he would be a pompous ass and piss her off. Then she wouldn’t have to feel guilty for ending him and all he’d built.

The plane began its decent into the Heathrow airport just as the sun began to fall. Packing up her gear and notes, she began to formulate her next moves. First she would grab a cab, and have them drive around a bit. This would help her figure out if she was being tailed. With the leak in the league, some of the hunters had already been ambushed. This led her to believe that their pictures had been leaked as well. It was possible that she had been among them. Her co-hunters, didn’t exactly shower her with hearts and kisses.

Pulling her red hair up, she placed a baseball cap on. Sunglasses would be overkill and draw attention since the sun was going down. She fished out her passports. One for customs, then another under an alias when hotels and such. So as far as paperwork went, she came into the country and her paper trail stopped there. The trick with customs was not to look nervous, smile and be friendly and excited to finally be visiting England. It required a small amount of acting.

“Anything to report?” the customs agent asked her. “No, but do you know where I can get a map of tourist locations? I’m such a planner, I want to see as much as possible while I can.” She gave him a big wide eyed toothy smile to emphasize her enthusiasm.

She watched as he pointed to the kiosk that had the maps to it. “Duh” she said rolling her eyes and tapping her forehead. He simply smiled and gave her passport back and she was on her way. Stopping by the kiosk she took the time to look around and do a quick surveillance. Possibly two bogies were there that she identified. It was hard to survey such a large place with so many people moving about. She thumbed through the kiosk picking up a pamphlet then another carefully as if she found places of interest.

Taking her stack with her she stopped by the luggage to pick up her bags. Generally she traveled light, a couple sets of clothes and the information to the weapon depot. Her large suitcase only contained a couple of books. It was her carry on that was the true bag. Picking up her bag and feigning its weight she made her way outside.

Only one of the people she identified as a bogie seemed to trail along behind her. But they stayed at a safe distance. If the light hit their eyes at the right angle you could tell a vampire from a human at distance. They were nocturnal creatures, so their eyes reflected light similar to a cat. Taking her phone she turned on the camera and began to take pictures of the architectural structure and signs of the airport. As if she were a normal college student posting to her social media. Catching the bogie just right she identified him as a vampire.

Hailing a taxi she threw in her bags and asked the taxi driver of a name of a popular goth club and where it was located. He told her a couple. The one that shouted vampire club was ‘The Devonshire Arms’. She might as well have some fun. Taking out a stick of gum she shoved it into her mouth and pulled out a pad and paper.

Mr. N.Rains (she purposely spelled his name wrong so that not just anyone would claim to be him, yet the bogie would know it was for him.)
Devonshire Arms 10PM
Xxoo CH.

She smiled in amusement to herself and stuck her chewed gum to the back of it and walked slowly to a pillar and casually stuck it there.

Getting back in the cab she shut the door and simply said “Drive”. After about a half hour of driving around and verifying she hadn’t been followed. She had him take her to the weapons depot, where she collected her weapons of choice. Then to a hotel in the center of London. She had watched her bogie go to the post and pick off her note as they drove off. She might as well have a little bit of luxury as tonight could be her last.

The penthouse was a lavishment. She paid in cash giving her fake passport as collateral. A nice scented Jacuzzi bath was her pleasure at the moment. Then she would be off to meet her assignment.
 
He actually smiled as his child handed him the note. Nathan noticed a slight tremor in the mans hand. Fear could be a useful tool although Raynes hardly used it unless he had to. But after all these centuries he was a master, a surgeon even, at how to implement it's use. His earlier display had sent shivers of fear throughout his household now. These shivers and ripples would continue outward through the human familiars and even reaching the ears of the other minor vampire clans in the city. It would prevent any other upstarts from acting against him for the time being giving him the breathing room he needed to deal with Chloe Heart. His nose picked up her scent even from such a small sample on the paper in his hand and he cast his eyes over the brief handwritten message as he sat back in his chair, one manicured fingernail gently stroking his lower lip as he considered what to do.

He knew next to nothing of this woman save her reputation. She had ended the lives of vampires he had known well, even considered friends and allies, but he felt no hate for her actions. This was the game they were all part of, a game that stretched back almost to the dawn of time. People died on both sides and to be upset or show anger when one of yours met their end was wasteful. You learnt from their mistakes and moved on. Heart was young to be such a respected and skillful hunter, she must be exceptional at her job, Nathan considered, but he had heard whispers and rumours that certain powers within the Hunters League were not best pleased with her .. and yet here she was, doing their bidding anyway. So loyal? Trusting? He cocked his head, possibly. More likely she had an escape plan already in place if the League turned on her.

"Is she being kept under surveillance." Nathan asked of the vampire who had handed him the note. He noticed the man blanch at the question.

"No, Master. She ... she evaded us."

"No matter. I would have been surprised if she hadn't considering her reputation. Anyway she has given us a place to find her so she is confidant of her skills it seems. Asking to meet in an acknowledged vampire meeting place ... yes, very confidant." He smiled and laughed lightly. "I like her already. Arrange things for us, Taylor, I want nothing to interfere with this meeting. Make it known to the other clans. Tonight the Devonshire Arms is out of bounds."

Taylor nodded, bowing slightly, then turning and walking swiftly from the study closing the door behind him. Nathan glanced at the clock on the wall and settled back. He activated his computer and brought up every file he had managed to get on Chloe Heart and began to read.

***

9.50pm - Devonshire Arms

The building had always been a pub, or inn or club, as far back as Nathan could remember. Right now it was a goth club, even though it had kept the original name above the door from when it had been a corner pub, one of many in London. He had only occasionally frequented the establishment, not liking the loud music, the flashing lights, the young crowd of would be vampires playing at the part and hoping against hope to attract a real vampires attention and maybe getting turned. Some he knew came here with no other wish than to be food for a vampire. He was well aware of the arousal a feeding could instill in both hunter and prey. Tonight the place was packed as per usual and as he lounged back in his private cubicle that allowed him to look out over the masses while being left alone he could pick out his people and a few other vampires in the crowd. However most of the clientele were human, male and female, mostly under 30 years of age and all without question goths. The clothing was enough to identify them which only made Nathan stand out more. He wore a lose flowing white shirt, light grey pants, black shoes and a light grey jacket. He saw people watching him, wondering who he was, how he was given such deference by the club owners. He saw both men and women admiring him too, and was honest enough to admit it aroused him to be admired like that. He never had to worry about being alone in his bed if he wanted company. Right now though his focus was on Chloe Heart. How she would make her entrance and what exactly she wanted from this meeting. His bodyguards were spread throughout the club, only two obviously visible standing at the entrance to the private area he sat in, sipping at the red wine in a glass before him.
 
Wrapped in her Turkish cotton robe she pulled out her laptop and began to delve into the blueprints and history for the Devonshire Arms. Like most of London, it was built over old tunnels. It was a safe passage during the day for the Vampires to go in and out as they chose. She learned the layout and compared the blue prints over the years to determine what changes were significant and what would give her the best opportunity of escape if the meeting should go south.

One of the greatest covers for a hunter was to blend into her environment as much as she could. But Chloe wasn’t like the other hunters. Her reputation alone struck the fear into many, and those that were too arrogant to fear her, often met their death early. Placing on her three inch heals with a flowing tank style http://celebmafia.com/wp-content/up...itan-magazine-sri-lanka-july-2016-issue-1.jpg of black and gold she strapped her dagger, and silver stakes to her thighs with a sexy black holster.

The common myth was that a vampire could only be killed by a wooden dagger piercing their heart. The truth was anything piercing their heart would work, just as it would on a human. The same went for beheading. Of course that worked. The only reason they were victim to uv rays was because of the drying out of their cells which made them combustible with a heat source. With many routines of moisturizers and such, they were able to regain their human appearance.

She took her time to style her hair and apply her makeup, as if she were going on a simple night out to a club. Her blue eyes jumped with the right application of liner. Her full pouty lips needed a light gloss. Unfortunately having grown up in the League, she didn’t know what a stunning beautiful woman she was. Dating had never really been an option. She tended to thwart suitors by simply being better than them at what was supposed to be a man’s job.

With her cross-body bag in tow she left her hotel room having the doorman hail a cab for her. As the cab driver took her to the club she went over the blueprint plans in her mind once again. Her plan for the moment was to simply play the part of a tourist. Using her phone to snap selfies of herself, while actually surveying the room and counting vampires.

Pulling up to the club she paid the driver and stepped into the short line for entrance into the club. It wasn’t long before she walked through the doors behind a group of goths and made her way to bar ordering a tequila sunrise. She had noticed taking a sip of her drink she began to play with her room snapping pics at different angles all the while posing for pictures she wasn’t taking of herself. Other then herself there was one particular man that stood out in a vip booth.

She estimated that the man was Nathan Raynes. He had a couple of well placed guards that she noticed right away. They didn't concern her as much as her bodies reaction to the handsome vampire. He should be a model for GQ, she decided. Why couldn't he be appalling so she could forgo her reservations about him being on the wanted list to begin with.

Picking up her drink she took another sip. Looking up at him through her lashes she raised her glass up to him.
 
Raynes was sitting back, both arms spread along the top of the booth he was in, his eyes easily able to see in the dim lighting of the club as the occasional flash of a light cast it's sharp white glow over the crowds making them stand out in stark clarity for a split second. Then he felt eyes on him and slowly turned his gaze to the bar area. It didn't take long for him to spot her. He smiled lightly as his gaze took her in. Chloe Heart. She stood out like a bright light in the shadows compared to those around her. She had an aura of power, confidence, around her and she was gorgeous. He had seen photos of her of course, but they did not do her justice at all and she obviously knew how to dress. The flowing black and gold dress accentuated her body perfectly. Whether she wore it to impress or because it easily hid the weapons he knew she carried he wasn't sure. Perhaps it was simply a happy coincidence. As she raised her glass to him, he did the same, saluting her across the crowded floor of the room. He sipped the wine then placed it on the table before him before gesturing for her to come over to him.

"Carl, let the young lady through then make yourself scarce." He ordered the lead bodyguard standing a few feet before him.

"Yes, Mr. Raynes."

The man was a familiar, but well skilled in the arts of combat and violence. Equally though he was skilled in restraint which was why Nathan liked the man so much. Carl knew when a simple word or look would do more than a fist or gun. Also, here in this place, Nathan knew that no one would encroach on his privacy, guards or no.
 
Chloe returned the light smile and turned for a moment to face the bottles behind the bar to regather herself. She still hadn't come to a decision on what to do. What she should do was call in the League and have them eliminate his clan as she went after him. He was suppose to make it easy and be a psychopathic narcissist with and extreme case of blood lust.

Picking up her glass, she slowly turned on the stool and lowered her feet to the ground. Once planted and steady she slowly stood moving her fingers to the left side of her head, sweeping her hair behind her ear. It seemed as though it was taking an eternity to reach his booth. As she approached his lackey moved the rope allowing her access. Then closed it and walked away.

"I appreciate you meeting with me Mr. Raynes." she said with a soft tone and gentle smile. Taking a seat across from him she placed her drink on the table. "I'm guessing since you knew I was arriving, that you're also aware of why I am here." Very slowly she crossed her leg under the table, keeping both hands visible.

"I am aware that one does not reach your ... level of maturity without following a strict code. Unfortunately, the code was tossed to the way side which brought you and yours onto a list that doesn't allow exceptions..regardless of innocence or guilt..for either of us."

Slowly reaching for her glass she brought it to her lips and took a sip, before setting it back down.

"Plainly Mr. Raynes, I need a reason to put my head on the block alongside yours."
 
"The fact you even mention placing such a pretty head on the block with mine gives me hope, Ms. Heart. That and the fact you asked to meet, to speak before you decided to take more aggressive action." Nathan stated sitting at ease, not a tense muscle in his body it seemed. "Would it mean anything to you if I explained one of my family decided to act without my consent? To try and put me on the true path as he figured it to be? Needless to say I took care of the problem ... personally. No more brutal and needless deaths will occur under my watch. But yes, I know the Leagues view of my kind, the only good vampire is a dead vampire ... correct?"

He let his gaze roam over her as she sat across from him. Not in a leering, perverted way, more in the way of an enemy appraising a foe and finding respect in that enemy.

"Your record speaks for itself, you are an enemy to be feared and I would be foolish not to take you seriously. So do not think for a moment my lack of bodyguards is in any way disrespectful to you or your talents. I simply did not believe we would need them tonight." He opened his arms as if to encompass the people milling around in the club. "Besides, would you really start a fight with so many innocents here? I may be innocent of the murders you came after me for, but I cannot speak to these peoples safety if you decided to honour the death warrant your League has placed on my head ... I will not go down easily and after 300 years I know how to defend myself. That said ... I am curious. Most in your profession prefer to stake first and not bother asking any questions after ... why did you ask to meet?"
 
"I asked for the meeting to assess whether my guess was correct, or if you had simply gone insane. Your man waiting for me at the airport was an affirmation that you had become aware of the situation and knew the reason I was coming. One doesn't survive for 300 years by being reckless, unless they have a death wish, in which case one would normally meet the sun."

There had been a few deaths that she knew of where vampires couldn't deal with what they had become and took their own life. But after 300 years, no she hadn't contemplated that he would be one of them.

"I am not the typical hunter" she said lightly. "The league and I have different views on a number of different topics. Actual guilt and innocence being on the top of the list. I believe in justice, but I do not believe in the theory that all must die. I would not do you the dishonor of attacking you and yours without first assessing the situation. For a warrior of your caliber I would request a more formal challenge, rather then an ambush." she gave a light smile glancing around from time to time to study the room.

"The list, well there is no reprieve from it, for you, or for me if I refuse. So I find myself in a bit of a conundrum. Either I attempt to condemn a man to death by my sword, or I condemn myself to the same fate."
 
Raynes considered Chloe's words carefully, trying to assess her character from what little time they had together now. He had read her record, front to back, but words on a computer screen did little to fill out a bio. he was starting to get a feel for the lady hunter sitting before him, but it could also be that despite her words she was trying to lull him into a false sense of security ... a thought she had probably had about him too. He smiled and gave a soft chuckle as he shook his head.

"What a world we live in where the innocent are condemned without proof and based only on their species. It matters nothing to the League that more and more of my kind try to live off the grid, to be noble and never kill innocents. Taking only what they need to live. To them we are a blight on this Earth that needs eradicating. if only more of their Hunters were like you Ms. Heart. Thoughtful, caring, honourable." He lent forward slightly, his elbows on his knees as he gave her a considered stare. "What if I suggested we help each other though? Could we trust one another enough do you think? Maybe we could fake my death? It would not be hard to do and even easier for me to change my name and identity ... but of course if the League ever found out you lied to them they would come after you as hard as they would me."

He reached out for an empty glass and filled it with red wine and smoothly pushed it across the table toward Chloe.

"I have no real way to prove to you that I am innocent, but would you take the word of a vampire over the 'proof' given you by your League? And if so would you then risk your life to keep an innocent man alive?"
 
"It was my own conclusion of your innocence Mr. Raynes. I have been hunting a very long time. When things appear too black and white it raises questions. The league isn't interested in the politics behind it. To them you are a large notch on their score sheet. To remove a 300 year old vampire that has been under their noses and creating his own 'family' is a big win to them. Your mere existence is an insult to the institution that has made it their goal to eradicate your kind from existence."

She looked down to the wine glass and gently pushed it back toward him. "No thank you, I have my sunrise." she made it a point never to accept food or drink from strangers. It was too easy to poison it. Even the drink she had now which she barely sipped could have been tainted.

"I will be willing to consider your proposal and assist you. But I will need something in return. After all as you pointed out, by helping you I am putting my own life in jeopardy. I need the name that betrayed my where about to you. Who told you I was coming Mr. Raynes." she sat back a little in a more relaxed state keeping one hand on her thigh.

"Another thing to consider, is that your entire 'family' is also part of the assignment. My order of doing things is to take the main offender myself and call the team on the remaining. You may be able to ...save some.." she didn't bother adding the not all. She imagined it would be difficult for anyone to sacrifice those they thought of as family to save their own lives. But there was no room, or time for subtly.
 
"You wish me to betray my family and my contacts?" He asked calmly, while inside he felt disgust that she would even ask this of him. Had the League so little honour amongst itself that it's Hunters assumed Vampires were so greedy and shallow. "I have built my family, my organisation on loyalty and trust. I expect it from those that serve me and I offer it to them who prove themselves worthy and yet you expect me to throw them to the wolves, your wolves, to save myself?"

He drank the rest of his wine and placed the empty glass before him on the table, his eyes not leaving hers except to glance down at her hand on her shapely thigh. He smirked slightly, he knew she carried weapons and that her hand was probably resting on a stake right now. He chuckled and sat up straighter, stretching.

"My dear, do you think yourself so safe you can make such demands of me here and yet still assume you could leave alive? Please, give me more respect than that. I could end your life in front of these people and only rise in their esteem." He leaned closer across the table. "But I do not want that. If I kill you the League sends more Hunters, it will never end, they will keep coming until I am dead, or they are. More needless deaths for what? We, together could end this. I could vanish with my family into the shadows and never be seen again for three more centuries, you could simply say you couldn't find me, or if it suited your story better you could say you fought and killed me. How would they be able to know that instead you let me live? As you of all people know precious little of us remains when we die."

He looked Chloe over again, this time openly admiring her. "I respect you, your skill, your bravery and your obvious beauty. I do not wish to harm you, I wish to harm no one, but I will not abandon my people simply to stay alive a few more weeks, months or years ... you think so little of me?"
 
"Mr. Raynes, there's no need for stating the obvious. You could kill me, I could kill you, a pissing match is not the reason that I'm here. Nor am I demanding anything in regards to your family." taking a light sip of her drink she continued.

"If you intend on saving them all, then that is your business, and an admirable decision. However, although faking your death is easier to do because it will be my department. The hunters will need someone to kill. Perhaps a nest of rival vampires?" That would really be the best solution, considering a hunter with her record could hardly be believed in stating she lost a 300 year old vampire and his entire nest(s).

"As for my request, you are asking that I work together with you, do I not have the right to know who betrayed me? Instead of it being a betrayal of your contact, think of it as a gift for our partnership in this ordeal. Certainly my risk is worth at least that. It also brings up the question. If one of my kind is willing to betray their own for money? the hope of being turned? What would they be willing to betray you for? A snitch is a snitch regardless of reason."

"perhaps a break from our discussion, would you care to dance Mr. Raynes?"
 
Nathan's smile grew wider at the suggestion and he stood smoothly and reached out to take her hand. Leading her to the dance floor a space opened for them when people saw them coming. Quickly he slipped one hand to Chloe's hip and the other took her hand as he effortlessly slipped into time with the music. Right now some heavy metal music blared but as the DJ saw who had just taken to the dance floor the song was muted and another took it's place. Some 70's R&B began to play as they danced and Nathan looked around as people began to dance with them, a few risking a glance their way but most minding their own business.

"Not the usual sort of music they are used to, but I hardly think anyone is about to complain to the management." He stated with a chuckle.

He didn't come here often, hardly at all to be honest, but the people who frequented this club were all vampire want to be's and that meant word got around who the man in charge was. There were numerous small vampire clans in the city numbering no more than eight to ten members each and Raynes made sure it stayed that way so none of them grew to a number to challenge him. His rule of London had been peaceful in the main and only a very few challenges to his leadership had occurred over the years, all swiftly put down.

Chloe's suggestion that he offer up a rival family was a clever one and he knew just the family to sacrifice for his survival. However his informant in the League was still a sticking point for him. He knew the woman well, very well. A rogue vampire had killed her family, that was the reason she had joined the League in the first place however something that no one knew was that where the League Hunters had been unable to find that rogue, Nathan had and brought her peace of mind by killing it slowly and painfully. Since that day she had forwarded any information which would help keep him and his family safe from the League. The question that floated around Raynes mind right now was if he told Chloe that story would she believe him and let the woman be or would she insist that the risk to her was to great and the lady would need to be dealt with.

As this all went through his mind another consideration suddenly occurred to him. Chloe's body heat was warming his chest as they dance close, his hand on her hip felt her toned muscle, the way the thin dress accentuated her form, how it pulled his eyes down from her face to her breasts making him have thoughts which he probably really shouldn't about a hunter and yet found himself incapable of stopping. He licked his lips and with force of will dragged his eyes from her beautiful breasts up to her equally beautiful eyes. Having been caught staring at her body he shrugged helplessly and gave her an almost boyish grin.

"My apologies, Ms. Heart ... but can you really blame a man when he has such a beauty in his arms?"
 
A person or vampires ability to fight wasn't in the amount of strength they had or their age, it was in the way they moved. Laying her hand in his cool palm they made their way to the dance floor. She watched carefully the expressions and reactions. Nathans seat in this town was one of power. The fact that he had remained invisible, was one of intellect and loyalty.

Their bodies fit well together, they moved well together. His hold on her was firm, but not demanding. In this moment, their bodies moved as if they were one. She watched as his eyes traveled from hers to her chest. She found a long time ago they were a distraction to most men.

"Careful Mr. Raynes" she responded teasingly. to his eyeing her mounds "one would say that's almost a human response." she let out a light laugh. As for humanity in vampires, she was aware that it could exist. She had seen it as her doubts began to form over her career. "I believe at your 11 o'clock and your three o clock you will find two very disapproving gentlemen who find our dancing together an abomination. Are they yours?" she asked wondering if she was going to have to watch her back when she finally left.

Being pressed up against him awokened something that had been dormant with in her for some time. She had only participated in the act of coitus once, and that was to relieve her of her virginity. A virgin hunter was a liability, though she didn't know how exactly it made her blood smell stronger or be more detectable. But since she never bothered to let anyone close it had never been an issue.

Perhaps it was the danger with Raynes. If his dancing was any indication it would be quite the fight if it came to that. It had been quite some time since she had a challenge of any significance. But it was also his body, and the way his mind worked that she found so devilishly attractive.
 
As they twirled around the dance floor, Nathan inconspicuously noted the two men Chloe had pointed out. He knew them, or more precisely knew who they represented. Obviously word of this secret meeting had somehow got to this particular local vampire clan and the idea of a vampire lord meeting and chatting and, God forbid, dancing with a hunter must have been unpalatable to them. Indeed by the look on their faces it seemed as if they were itching to tear him apart. Then an idea occurred to him. These two would be scouts, the main group would be outside waiting to ambush Chloe. They would never move against Raynes, not yet at least. But Ms. Heart was becoming to valuable to Nathan to risk her being taken out by these miscreants, even if they could finish the job which he doubted.

"I believe the two men you mention to be members of a local family of vampires who have been itching to move up the ladder recently. So far I have kept them in check, but it seems they take offence at how close we have become." He smirked and winked. "Literally as well as figuratively. I wouldn't be surprised if they do not lay on a small welcome to London party for you on your way back to your hotel later. However, you said you needed some sacrificial goats to look good to the League? Perhaps we can use these unimportant leeches to help move that along somewhat?"
 
Chloe smiled at his suggestion that they were here for her. "As long as we have some ziploc bags, you have a site in mind, and we'll need some blood. We should be able to create a scene which will be sufficient for our epic battle." She shrugged not being concerned about her potential ambush.

"In my experience the more you taunt them, the angrier they get, which leads to bad decisions." she leaned forward placing her lips against his ear portraying the image that nibbling it. Her body tightly pressed against his as he guided her around the floor.

"I was under the impression clans always wanted the leadership role. One would think they would welcome the idea of your potential demise. But i suppose prejudice carries over to all. I'm sure in your years you've seen quite a bit. Jews and Catholics, Germans and British, black and white, not to mention same genders." she ran her hand over his hair as an intimate gesture to further piss the vampires off.

Raynes was an expert dancer. She rarely had the opportunity to enjoy a good dance, much less have a partner of his abilities. The music came to an end and the Dj looked to Raynes to see if he wished to continue dancing.
 
For a second he had trouble focusing, something totally alien to him, and yet her fingers in his hair, her lips at his ear, her lithe body pressed into his were so distracting and he knew that distraction could and would get you killed ... but he didn't want to push her away, in fact he realised the only thought uppermost in his mind was taking her to bed. Blinking he finally reacted to the DJ's look and the silence in the room. He shook his head and taking Chloe by the hand he led her back to their booth.

"Seeing two world wars and a few minor conflicts, the march for social equality in America in the 60's, the violence humans perpetrate on each other and yet then turn and call us monsters ... it is truly confusing sometimes. Your kind can be the ultimate hypocrites, Chloe." As music started up again behind them he stood with her, his hands holding hers, their bodies close as he looked down into her eyes. "I hope you do not have a rule about older men, but would you allow me to walk you home? I know you do not need my protection, if anyone does it is those fools awaiting you outside, but still, I would feel better to know you are safe in your hotel room at least for tonight and perhaps we could carry on our discussion in a more private environment?"

He realised he was only being partially honest with the Hunter. Yes, he was concerned for her well being, but equally he felt his blood on fire from being around her and he needed to let off steam. He had no doubts the rival clan waiting outside might think twice about attacking Chloe if he was with her, but equally she may be right, they may consider this taking out two birds with one stone just to good a chance to miss. From what he knew of them intelligence was not one of their virtues while arrogance and aggression were.
 
Even though he was cool, standing this close to him had her body on fire. Her fingers tingled entwined with his. What the hell was this reaction she was having toward him. She wanted to let out a warriors cry and begin slashing away at anyone and everyone.

Turning her body toward him she lay a hand intimately over his shoulder and whispered almost inaudibly but enough for only him to hear. "We should probably make it known we're going out the back door. We don't need any reports of possible vampire activity reaching the league just yet. Also we should grab a garbage bag, dustpan, and broom. You may walk me to my hotel, we can have a drink at the bar there and continue our discussion after we've dealt with Tweedledee and Tweedledum and their potential luring associates. That is if it's okay with you."

Chloe wasn't certain yet that she would be able to trust him completely. Let alone trust herself if they were alone in her room. Her experience with men was limited to one. That was merely to rid her of her virginity. She had learned the art of seduction, it got her in and out of more scrapes then she could count. But something was different about Nathan. There was more to him that she wanted to discover.

She slowly withdrew letting out a girly giggle as if she had just told him a flirtatious secret. Her fingers were still entwined with his as looked up at him through her lashes. He was definitely dashing.
 
He laughed with her, maintaining the charade as he lent in and kissed her neck, bringing his lips to her ear. "Don't worry about the clean up, my people will handle that ... it won't be the first time they have had to come along behind me to sweep up someone who crossed me."

He brought his head back a little so their eyes met and for a second he couldn't drag himself away, he felt drawn into her. The old adage of drowning in her eyes had never meant anything to him, he had never in all his years found a woman that caused that legendary reaction in him - till now.

"Um, so ... we should get going then." He physically pulled himself together, straightening his shoulders before turning to find his two bodyguards who had stayed out of his and Chloe's way as directed. "I won't be needing the limo tonight ... I'l go out the back way." He called.

From the corner of his eye he saw the two thugs look at each other, finish their drinks and leave by the front entrance. He almost laughed at how bad they were being inconspicuous. His men nodded respectfully and vanished into the mass of bodies as Nathan clasped Chloe's hand in his and smiled.

"Should we?"

With that he led her around the dance floor and down a small passage to the back door. It had the standard push bar for emergency exits and he opened the door for her to walk through then followed close behind, the door clanging shut behind them. He breathed deep, the air cooler out here but tainted by the smell of the garbage bags stashed up in one corner of the alley. The alley was lit at both end by streetlights where it exited on one end onto a main road, and the other onto a smaller hardly used road. The club and its two other floors soared up to his left and to his right the buildings belonging to store owners towered to equal heights with fire escapes pinned to each wall.

"Hardly romantic I'm afraid." He stated slipping an arm around her shoulders. "I would offer you my jacket, but I have the feeling you will need freedom of movement quite soon."

As he spoke a car pulled into the alley at both ends, blocking it. With the entrance to the club shut tight behind them they were trapped. Somehow though he felt exhilarated. It had been to long since he had a decent fight. He even grinned as four men got out of the car in front of him and two slipped from the vehicle behind him.

"Only six?!" He glanced at Chloe. "My apologies, Chloe Heart, this disrespect needs to be addressed I feel."
 
Chloe smiled leaning a little to look in both directions. "Well this is hardly fair at all, why do you get four and I only get two?" she put a bit of a whine in her voice as she smiled wickedly. "Excuse me!" she said addressing the four. "Would one of you please join the other two. It's not fair that he gets to rip apart four of you and I only get two." They looked at her blankly and started walking toward them as the two did from the other end. "no?, well okay But I want you to know it's just not fair he gets more fun then I do."

They hardly seemed amused by her taunting, if anything it only pissed them off more. To add that extra bit of topping she planted a kiss on Nathans cheek before letting his hand loose. "See you in a minute" She started walking toward the two as she reached under her dress pulling out her daggers. "Which one of you yearlings want to go first?" she questioned her two. They leered at her and both began to charge. Rolling her eyes she came to a halt to wait for them to reach her immediately cutting one down and toying with the other.

"I'm drawing this out to entertain myself." she yelled over her shoulder to Nathan. "I still don't think it's fair you get more fun." She thwarted the remaining vampires attacks pissing him off more and more by the minute. "one should never fight when they're angry" she told her opponent who only lunged at her again. "seriously where did you learn how to fight? Fairy camp?" After taunting him for a bit until she grew bored she finally ended him letting out a sigh.
 
Smiling at Chloe's words, Nathan slowly took off his jacket, folded it neatly and placed it on top of the cleanest pile of boxes he could see in the alley. The four vampires facing him seemed hesitant, they moved from one foot to the other, glancing at each other, two had machetes and two had long silver daggers. Raynes cocked his head, well, the machetes would work to decapitate him, one way to kill a vamp, the silver would work equally well if thrust into his heart although it would burn wherever it touched him. Walking toward him as the sound of Chloe's fight echoed behind him he smiled at the four thugs.

"Look, guys, this is going to go down one of two ways. Either I leave here alive, or you do ... but not both. So it's your call." He stopped, grinned and held his hands out to either side.

That seemed to break the ice and two of the men rushed him, one with a machete and one with a knife. Nathan let his claws grow, a vampire natural weapon along with their teeth and waited. As machete man swung he ducked beneath the arm and trapped it under his left arm, holding it straight out before bringing his right elbow down on the thugs forearm getting a satisfying snapping noise. With a yell of pain he let go of the machete which Nathan caught in it's fall to the ground and spun, parrying the knife wielders blow inches from his face. Making a tut tut sound he kicked out at the injured thug sending him reeling into the other two men who only now started their attacks. As they fell in a bundle to the ground, Raynes pushed the knife man away and smiled.

"Nice knife ... but mines bigger." He grinned enjoying himself.

The two men circled each other slowly and then the thug rushed in, swiping his knife before him in a complicated series of movements which Nathan didn't try to parry as they were to far away, but the second they got in range he lashed out, blocking the silver dagger with a clang as the two metal weapons struck, then spun into the knife man bringing his left elbow up and around using his body weight to impact the elbow joint into the vamps face spinning him from his feet. Following through in one fluid motion Nathan cut the mans head clean off with his machete watching as the body instantly imploded in fire and ash. The injured thug had taken a back seat now as the two remaining vamps moved in quickly hoping to take Raynes off balance, instead they found him now holding both his machete and the silver knife and half crouched ready and waiting.

"Come on boys, time to do what you got paid for." He growled hearing Chloe complaining playfully behind him before finishing off her two men.

As they ran in he spun on one heel, roundhouse kicking one man in the chin and catapulting him back onto the bonnet of the car he had driven up in. The other ran past, unable to stop his momentum and Nathan helped him on his way by placing his booted foot squarely in his back, propelling him down the alley toward Chloe.

"Here you go Ms. Heart. Don't say I don't share my toys." He called out.

Turning back to his two remaining vamps he saw the fear in their eyes now, they knew they were dead, they knew he could not allow them to leave here and spread the word Nathan Raynes was collaborating with a Hunter. The wounded man pulled a gun, maybe a last ditch effort to show resistance to his impending death. The other vamp though, silver knife still in hand, stupidly ran in front of him, blocking his shot at Raynes. Nathan let him come then smoothly dodged the thrust of the knife, impaled the man through the heart with the silver knife and as the thug started to come apart in his arms pulled back his arm and launched the dagger at the gunman. He watched with some pride as the blade slid into the vamp left eyes, impaling his brain and dropped him where he stood, his gun clattering to the cobbled alley. Quickly looking around and seeing all the vamps he had fought had now imploded he turned to see how Chloe was doing with her last sample.
 
She walked like a predator circling it's prey to the vamp now laying in front of her. "Mr. Raynes your gift makes me blush, let it never be said you don't know how to show a girl a good time." She was actually quite happy with the gift of one more to kill. "come on get up, don't give up just yet" she taunted the vampire who stared at her with hate. "You stand a 1% or less chance of beating me. You know it, I know it, hell all of London knows it. Do you think if i place a hand behind my back your odds will go up?" she asked him with a large amount of mockery. The vampire seethed rising to his feet.

"Now why are you so upset hmm? is it because i'm human. Because i find that very spiciest. I mean yes i am a hunter, but i'm an equal opportunity hunter. I kill humans, vampires, werewolves and anything else that pisses me off." she gives him another smile. "Not up for a conversation?, well okay come along then lets get you dead already."

This ones body language indicated he was going to try to flee. 'Well that just takes the fun out of it.' she mumbled to herself as he tried to run past her. Sticking out her leg she tripped him and sent him face down again. This time instead of taunting him she slammed her heal down on his back causing him to scream. "I knew i should have worn higher heals." she stated plainly as he tried to grasp her leg before she could pull it free. Taking her stake she jammed it at the base of his neck severing his spinal cord. With him now paralyzed she pulled her foot free from her shoe and bent over pulling it out. Wiping it off on his back she put it back on and flipped him over. He hissed and screeched like a wounded pig. Slamming her foot down over his heart she pulled back quickly as he burst into flame and ash.

Pulling her stake out of the pile she pulled up her dress using the inside to wipe off her weapons and placed them back in their appropriate holsters. She looked up and smiled at Raynes who was watching her. "That really wasn't much of a fight. I was quite disappointed. Shall we continue with our walk?"
 
Openly admiring her body as she hiked up her skirt to slip the stake away Nathan smiled slightly at her cavalier attitude. "I must say, I now know what they mean by killer fashion ... are using heels to kill vampires part of the Leagues training regime, or is that more a personal style of attack?"

As he spoke he offered her his arm and they walked out of the alley and onto the main road. Their little fracas had seemingly gone unnoticed and Raynes knew his people would be by any moment to clean away any sign of a fight. Over the decades and centuries the cleanup teams had become quite proficient at it. They walked arm in arm like loved, the occasional person or group walking past, at one point a small gang of drunken older teens began to give them some verbal abuse until Nathan turned to look at them and bared his fangs. he almost laughed as they ran for their lives.

"Human's, it sometimes puzzles me how you became the top of the food chain when such creatures as werewolves and vampires live longer, are stronger, more resilient and, in a few cases, decidedly more intelligent. And yet here we are, hiding in the shadows in fear of our very lives." He shook his head sadly, glancing at Chloe as they neared her hotel. "Can you imagine what I have seen over the last three centuries? The historic events I lived through, and yet does the League wish to hear about that? No, and if we revealed ourselves to normal humans they would attack us out of panic and fear thanks to medieval myths and legends about us. Such a shame, if we could only work together."

He held the door open for her as they entered the hotel getting a cursory nod from the man at reception.
 
Lift her foot she did a little turn showing off her heels. "As this was our first meeting, i wanted to be stylish, yet practical. I believe that if it doesn't serve a purpose it's not worth putting on. I didn't know what I would be walking into, or kicking out of. These bad boys do a lot of damage, they are silver but with some chrome accents." Taking his arm they walked. When they came to the teenagers, she let him take the lead. After all he was the male, and their squealing like little girls and running off was quite amusing.

"I don't know about being more intelligent. I mean after all you were once humans yourselves. Stronger, and more street smart definitely. But that is because you are forced to be. I think our six dead friends can attest for equality of stupidity that plagues not only humanity, but vampires as well. As for werewolves.. I've always considered them a little slow, most being farm hands that got caught off guard and turned at some point." she gave a shrug as they entered her hotel.

Finding a table in the bar where they were more isolated they took a seat. "As pleasant as this evening has been Mr. Raynes, we still have some business to discuss. I understand more then anyone the value of a source. But being as my life was put at risk because someone broke their oath to the league. I would still like to know whom it was. Of course you will be disappearing, and will have no further use of them. I would consider it a professional courtesy if you would provide me with that information."
 
Back
Top