The Isolated Blurt Thread XLI : The Day The Cat Came Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another hot and humid day. It is going to be about 100.

I have seen kids walking to get the bus in ice storms, snow storms, blizzards. Today school is cancelled. My daughter only had school cancelled twice in 11 years.

WHERE IS MY FALL?

They did that here in Ohio too at schools, too hot.. I was like WTF.. you know what we had to do when we were kids?

3575a6c268b99851f4c8566e50365e3a.jpg
 
Really getting into this new series on HBO The Deuce

It was a slow start for my fella, but he came around by the third episode. I wish they would include more music. The volume seems to have decreased with each episode. Speaking of volume, they are not shy about blaring certain sounds at all.
 
Tickets order online for an upcoming event, and the transaction ID is FUKDAY. I call that a bargain, perhaps not the best I've ever had.
 
well, i refuse to call anything a bargain until i know the actual price.
 


'twas another absolutely gorgeous day on the water— simply magnificent.


We followed in the path of two big bulk carriers on their outward passage and couldn't help but admire their lines when viewed from directly astern. They made beautifully symmetrical outlines against the cloudless blue sky with their bridge wings providing balance to their wide hulls. One of the vessels was owned by the Euro-Indian steel manufacturer, ArcelorMittal ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcelorMittal ). She was likely carrying yet another cargo of high quality U.S. metallurgical coal bound for Brasil(?), Poland(?) or Spain(?).

Their grace and beauty contrasted with the sheer ugliness of the auto carrier— the damn thing is basically a floating box. I cannot imagine the windage that monstrosity has. Obviously, aesthetics are far from the minds of those who design them. Their main objective is, of course, to come up with a vessel with the least wasted interior space. Almost by definition, that means no rounded corners if you're loading rigid cargo like automobiles.

It's amazing to contemplate just how far and how rapidly hull designs have advanced. A mere seventy years ago, freighters were tubby and had lots of overhang at the bow and stern. If you've ever seen a Liberty ship, you can't help but immediately be struck by how tiny they were and conclude that they were absolutely bound to corkscrew about in any kind of sea.

Today's 700/800/900/1,100-foot long commercial vessels (be they container ships or bulk carriers or tankers) all have large protruding bow bulbs that easily extend 25-30' forward of the bow beneath the water. When under way, it's easy to see the water being upthrust by the bow bulb and why they are effective at displacing the water. The ships, when fully laden, sit low in the water. It is astounding how little wake they create— that is a product of the hydrodynamic efficiency of their hulls. Fifty years ago, if you were on a sailboat crossing the wake of a commercial vessel, you'd be crashing and bouncing all over the place. Nowadays, you almost don't even notice.

Ship design has come a long, long, long way in a comparatively short period of time. That has happened because of advances in computing power, tank testing and hydrodynamics that permitted numerous hull shapes to be rapidly tested. The same has occurred in hull design for sailboats.


It was such a gorgeous day that I managed to sunburn my lips. This morning's shower was a little unpleasant as the water striking my lips from the shower head felt like a bunch of sharp needles. As you might imagine, that frickin' hurts.


 
Last edited:
well, i refuse to call anything a bargain until i know the actual price.

$8.00



Dude, I keep paper work. Please do not insult me by saying the unit is 2 years older than it is, or that the warranty was only for 5 years, which is covered because of the actual age of the unit, and not 10 as all of the paper work says, whoreface.
 
there's a reason for that.

and that reason is kansas fucking sucks.
 


Ship design has come a long, long, long way in a comparatively short period of time. That has happened because of advances in computing power, tank testing and hydrodynamics that permitted numerous hull shapes to be rapidly tested. The same has occurred in hull design for sailboats.



Yet you disregard the application of advanced computing power to climate modeling.

Also, get a blog, fuckface. :D
 
I'm 2 episodes in to The Deuce. So far I dig it. So long as Maggie Gyllenhaal keeps her clothes on.
 
there's a reason for that.

and that reason is kansas fucking sucks.
Kansas weather: It's always either too hot and too windy or too cold and too windy.

Kansas climate: Hostile. Hundreds of cactus species live in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas. Four cactus species are native to Virginia. In Kansas? Only one native species can stand the brutal winters and blazing summers, and it's a tough little bastard.

Kansas tornadoes: I've been much too close to two of'em. Ya see all those storm doors and shelters? They're needed. Keep your storm-tracker powered.

Kansas people: Nice enough in small quantities. Put them together and they suicidally vote against their own interests. Kansas lacks skilled tech workers because underfunded schools and clinics; intelligent outsiders will raise families elsewhere, thank you.

Kansas outlaw bikers: Those I met were John Birch Society members. Yow.
 
$8.00



Dude, I keep paper work. Please do not insult me by saying the unit is 2 years older than it is, or that the warranty was only for 5 years, which is covered because of the actual age of the unit, and not 10 as all of the paper work says, whoreface.

i love this post :D
 
I'm on I-94 west. Next big city is Bismarck, North Dakota.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top