Of the Fells

"He's upset that I'll be taking off work." Valentina murmured as she stirred in some fresh lamb, letting the meat sizzle as she turned to her father. "I think I've earned a break. When it comes to my children, I need to figure out just what is best."
 
Vincenzo couldn't help a smile at that, one of pride as he hugged Valentina against his side without disturbing her work. "A year or so ago, you never would've said anything of the sort." He was glad to hear that something had finally come above her work, especially something so important as family.
 
"Well, it would have been Ma, but you've done a beautiful job with her." Valentina said as she kissed her father's cheek and hugged him tightly. "Maybe him some of your lemon drink before you leave. It was always my favorite when I was his age."
 
"I can do that," Vincenzo nodded before leaving her side to gather up ingredients from the larder. In the meantime, Chessie had become distracted with Alex. The boy had been unable to get comfortable, so she'd scooped him into her lap, rocking him in the chair by the fire as he settled against her. Alex and Chessie had become friends early on, but there were still too few people that he would relax with like that.
 
Valentina watched as Chessie rocked Alex, a smile on her face as her dear friend cared for the boy as if he were her own. Alex looked miserable, but he was slowly relaxing in Chessie's arms, warmed by the fire and exhausted from being ill.

She was just finishing up his meal when she heard Warwixk enter. She smiled to her father and motioned him to take a seat.

"Would you like something to eat, Da? I've made more than enough to go around." Valentina offered, dishing up half a bowl for Alex when he was ready as Vincenzo worked on the special lemon drink that he had always made for her as a homecoming surprise.
 
"Oh, Chessie already took care of me a bit ago," Warwick said with a smile, settling across from the cook. "So this is Alex." Kitty had already told him what had happened, so he sat by quietly, not bothering the boy for the moment as Alex managed to wake up and eat.
 
Valentina helped Alex to eat, feeding him when he wasn't able to do it himself. She kissed his cheek in encouragement, letting him know that she was there for him no matter what. Chessie kept hold of him, rocking him through the pain and struggle until he had managed to eat the bowl. When they were done, Valentina got him settled with his special lemon drink.

"Bambino, this is Warwick. He's been waiting a long time to meet you." She murmured, letting the two meet each other for the first time.
 
Alex looked up, having not been aware of anyone else in the room. He was too exhausted to care much about his shyness, and murmured, "Hi, Grandpa..." Chessie placed Alex in Warwick's lap and Alex could only lean against him and close his eyes. Warwick chuckled softly, brushing his hair back.

"Hello, little lad," Warwick said softly. "We'll leave the chasing around and long conversations for another time."
 
"We'll get all the herbs figured out soon and you'll feel much better, love." Valentina said as Alex relaxed against Warwick, already closing his eyes as Chessie left them to tend to other things around the kitchen. "I'll go get Anna, bambino. Think that you can entertain Grandpa until I get back?"

She leaned in and kissed Alex's forehead, knowing that he would soon be asleep. She glanced at Warwick with a small smile. She could trust him to keep her little boy safe until she returned.
 
Alex's murmur of assurance was lost, muffled against Warwick's jacket, and Warwick hugged him a little closer. "We'll be just fine," the old man muttered. Even sick and unable to really interact with his grandfather, Alex had already found a place in Warwick's heart.
 
Valentina left the two of them as she went to retrieve his blanket and Anna. Once she had those items, she stopped in her room and grabbed a few new herbs, intent to try the out on Alex to bring him out of the fog that he was in. When she returned to the kitchen, she draped the blanket around Alex's shoulders and tucked Anna under his arm.

"Rest, bambino. Mama's going to make you a new tea." She whispered, kissing his cheek before she turned to get to work.
 
Alex leaned into Valentina's touch until she turned away, and then settled back against Warwick with a quiet sigh.

"I can't wait to see him wide awake," Warwick chuckled.
 
"He's a curious little fellow." Valentina said with a smile as she put together a new blend of tea that would hopefully help him to deal with the pain of healing while waking him up a little bit. "He loves to help me but I'm trying to get him interested in playing. He enjoys his time with Cole's boys but he never wants to get far away."
 
"That reminds me of Brogan," Warwick murmured. "Too busy trying to be smart and strong to play. Durban too, but Brogan did that of his own accord." Warwick smoothed back Alex's hair as the boy shifted slightly. "Reminds me of you most of all, though... You could make time for Cole and Ciaran, but otherwise, you were busy learning how to save the world."
 
"I wanted to learn to make Mummy all better." Valentina commented, looking over at Warwick. "I know she was sick for a very long time and you both tried to hide it from us, but we all knew. She was stronger than anyone else I know, though."
 
"We knew that you all figured it out. But we didn't want it to interfere with our daily lives. So she got what little treatment she could as quietly as possible, and I tried to keep things normal. And, for the most part, they remained normal down to the end." Warwick sighed at that. "She had all she wanted and needed... I suppose I couldn't have asked for much better, especially with your brother offering what help he could."
 
"Cole loved her. More than I think you really know. Ciaran was always the one that could make her smile, but Cole never took for granted the life that the two of you gave him. He's missed you." Valentina insisted as she turned with a small mug of tea, helping Alex to settle with it. "He wants to see you more but feels like he's intruding on your solitude."
 
"Cole was always too considerate for his own good. It's a wonder he managed to become Brogan's right-hand man, barking orders at soldiers for a living. I always thought all those boys were too soft-hearted for it. But I'll have to tell Cole that I'm requiring him to intrude every so often." Warwick watched Alex as the boy did his best to stay awake and drink the tea. It would take time for the old blend to wear off, but the new one seemed to at least not make it any worse. But when Alex inevitably fell asleep, Warwick set his tea aside and cradled him a little more securely.

"So tell me more about this little one," Warwick murmured.
 
"He was orphaned. He doesn't remember his father but his mother passed away. He decided that I was the one he wanted to stay with." Valentina said softly as Alex fell asleep in Warwick's arms. "He's a sweet little boy. Bonded instantly with Ma. I think he'll be a nice fit for my little family."
 
"It seems to me that he already is." Warwick smiled down at the sleeping boy. "Your mother's family has a knack for finding and taking in lost souls. It stands to reason you would too. And a half-were child, no less, if those eyes of his tell me anything."
 
"His father was a were, that much he could tell me. Other than that, it's a mystery. He insisted on keeping his name as Alex. It's one of the only things his Ma ever gave him. I want to honor her as much as I possibly can to make this transition peaceful."
 
"You're a good woman, Valentina," Warwick told her softly. "Alex chose well." There was a deep pride in his eyes for her. While he was always proud of who his children had become professionally as warriors and a healer, his deepest pride was for the type of people they'd become. Ciaran had been a man who loved easily and openly and never judged a person except by their merit. Cole had become a loving father and husband and unfailingly patient and fair. And now Valentina had become a mother who cared as much about her little boy's past as his future, and managed to balance her demanding work against being there for her little family.
 
"I know how he feels. And I know that you gave me a lovely life when you didn't have to. I want to do the same for him." Valentina said softly, brushing he the hair back from Alex's forehead gently.
 
"And you're doing well. I can see how much you love him already." Warwick watched as she tended so lovingly to Alex, and he carefully placed the boy in her arms before shifting in his chair with a sigh. "Sometimes I miss having little ones around... As much as I can enjoy my work with Marianne, she and I agree we both miss having children to chase after."
 
"Well, all you need to do is send a letter and Cole will come running with his little ones in tow. I can try to come more often." Valentina offered, shifting Alex against her shoulder as he continued to slumber. "Lane and Marius would love the adventure. Caroline would simply love you."
 
Back
Top