Extended Author's Notes for "My Sister Set Me Up On A Blind Date"

8letters

Writing
Joined
May 27, 2013
Posts
2,108
Story is here. Please leave any thoughts you have on it.

The story behind the story
Someone told me long ago that the Chevrolet brand got its name from one of its founder (actually co-founder). I started with the idea of a brother and a sister having the name of Chevrolet, wondering how people would react to that. That led to the idea of a cop pulling the brother over and not believing his last name was really Chevrolet. The story was just that opening scene for a long time.

Then I had the idea of a long sex scene in the back of a minivan. I don’t know where it came from - I’ve personally never done anything in a minivan. It was an idea I found quite sexually exciting and I happily spent a lot of time stretching it out in my mind and filling in details.

So I had a beginning and an end, but nothing to connect them. I could have put the end with any other beginning.

I love reading incest stories, but something that bothers me about many incest stories is that they are so unrealistic. Yeah, a loving incestuous relationship is unrealistic, but I’m talking about the setup to the story. She’s a smoking hot babe; he’s a handsome hunk; neither of them can get a date. They get along great. He tells her, “Nice shoes” and then they’re banging away in bed, declaring their true love for each other.

I think I’ve learned to address the first issue - having some reason why the brother and sister are available for each other. For this story, I quickly came up with the idea that she wasn’t dating anyone because she couldn’t find any smart athletes to date. For Todd, I came up with his relationship ended with his girlfriend Mandy in a way that he wasn’t sure that it was really over and would only go out with someone who was special. I’ll discuss Todd and Mandy some more later.

I’ve been as bad as anyone about my brothers and sisters getting along so well that it’s a trivial step for their relationship to become romantic. I wanted it to be different in this story. I thought it would work particularly well in this case as the opening scene showed the irritation and frustration the brother feels towards his sister.

I came up with the idea of the sister setting up the brother on a blind date and then showing up as his blind date. I thought it would be a fairly common story line. However when I was done with the story, I did some searching on Literotica and I couldn’t find any comparable stories.

The names were at random. I thought Ashlynne would make a good name for a cheerleader. I checked to see on the SSA baby name web site and discovered that most common spellings for that name were “Ashlyn” and “Ashlynn”. I almost changed the name to “Ashlynn” when I decide to go with an alternative spelling. I see non-standard spellings of girl names all the time. Todd at one point thinks, “I had loved to mock her about not being able to spell her own name correctly.”

I wrapped up the story and sent it out to beta-readers. I felt good about the story. I felt the sex scene was extremely hot. First beta-reader gave it a big thumbs up. Second beta-reader ripped the story. He thought Todd was whiny and immature. At that point, I had Todd party too much freshmen year and then get serious about academics, but lose all of his partying friends. Mandy was a fellow engineering major who was in a car accident, dropped out of school and Todd felt like he should continue to date to support her even though there wasn’t much of a relationship.

After that feedback, I did a massive overhaul of the story. Mandy was changed to a great girlfriend who disappears off to Europe. As I was doing the re-write, the Stanford swimmer case was in the news and the Baylor football coach was fired. That got me thinking about positive consent and I decided to incorporate that into my story. After writing about it, I’ve come to the conclusion that Todd comes to - something should be done but the positive consent every time every step standard isn’t workable.

In the original version, Todd and Ashlynne have the fight at the golf course, they make up right afterward, finish the round of golf then go off to Ashlynne’s friend’s house and fuck. I decided that wasn’t realistic. I decided that the date had to end after the fight at the golf course and that Todd would take Ashlynne to her friends house and drop her off.

Is I was writing that drop off scene, I had Todd offering Ashlynne a deal like in the original version. In the original, she immediately accepted it. In the re-write, I decided she’d turn it down. Prior to that, Ashlynne didn’t have much of a personality - she was a smart cheerleader, which was what Todd was looking for. She wanted Todd because he was a smart athlete. As I re-wrote their reconciliation, I discovered Ashlynne’s personality. I had never done that before.

I enjoyed writing about Todd and Ashlynne doing things together post-fight. I felt it established a true attraction that made the rest of the story make sense. Now, I had to come up with an idea for their second date. Eventually, I came up with going to a auto show. That give them an opportunity to talk while on the date and it played into their last name. It was a lot of fun writing that scene, letting Ashlynne act crazy.

I re-wrote the sex scene to fit my new vision of Ashlynne’s personality and it worked much stronger. The ending in the original version didn’t make a lot of sense, so I re-wrote it to fit my new vision of Ashlynne’s personality and it worked my better.

Story clarifications
* When Todd admits that he’s crazy about Ashlynne, she decides that she doesn’t want this to be a one-night thing, that she wants to be Todd’s girl
* The more Todd tries to convince her that there are other guys out there for her, the more he convinces her that he’s the only one for her
* When Ashlynne slides her pussy lips up and down Todd’s dick is the first time she thinks about fucking. She decides to do it then. She wants Todd as her boyfriend and thinks that’s the way to seal the deal. And she really wants to fuck

What happens next?
This is where I’d put what I imagine would happen if I continued story. I’m not going to say anything this time as I’m working on a sequel.

What do I particularly like about this story?
* I liked the idea of the back of a minivan as the setting for all of the sex
* In almost every brother-sister story, there’s never the messiness of a actual brother-sister relationship - the inevitable fights that happen growing up in the same household with limited resources. I’m as guilty as anyone. In this story, it’s front-and-center. Todd and Ashlynne had fought tooth and nail for years and years and they don’t know at first how to relate to each other now that they’re not fighting for reasons they’re not too sure about
* I really liked the date at the auto show
* I liked how the reader sees Todd and Ashlynne getting closer and closer through the story and eventually falling for each other

What do I think I might get grief about?
* This story has lots of elements that are the same as “My Day As A Pool Boy”. Both have the main female lead being the high school valedictorian and who will be a pre-med major. Both have a football player as the villain of the story. Alex in “My Day As A Pool Boy” is consistently controlling whereas Ashlynne is sometimes controlling
* I have another story, “My European Summer Vacation” that I’m going to submit about the same time who has a female lead who loves being in control. Not sure if people will find that too close to Ashlynne’s personality

What were the inspirations for the sex scenes?
None

What of note got cut from this story?
So much got cut during the re-write. I’ve covered some of it above, but there was even more.

Major editing changes for the story as it was written?
Like I said, it had a major re-write.

Any other notes?
Writing it and re-writing it put the story close to the window for the 2016 Summer Lovin’ contest. I decided to submit it to that as it definitely fits that theme. Then I decided to post it before the contest to compare results for this story with the story I will submit.

I’m looking for a new editor
The editor I worked with until recently is no longer responding to emails. My work is typically long but easy to edit as most of my errors are small things like leaving out a word and using two words instead of one, e.g. “night shirt” instead of “nightshirt”. I’d love an editor who is (1) a big fan of my writing, (2) technically very competent and (3) wants to go back and forth with me to improve my writing.

If you are interested, shoot me a PM. Include an email address or be sure that your Literotica account allows you to receive PM’s (the default is to reject them). Tell me how you would have edited this story differently.

I’m looking for beta-readers
I’ll send you five stories that I have partially written and you give me your thoughts on them so far including how you would rank them. I’ll use that to determine which story to publish next and how to improve it.
 
Last edited:
offer to try editing, and/or beta reading.

Dear 8letters,

I really enjoyed your story. I found it original (to me), and it was an easy read.

I've never done editing before, but would be willing to "tryout" for the position.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, and quirky things tend to stand out to me.

I'm not the best reader, and for me that makes any imperfection, of any kind, stall my reading and interrupts the flow of the story. I am no English professor, nor did I do particularly well in High School English. I do however have a natural understanding for what "looks" correct, and for the flow of the text.

incest/taboo is by far my favorite topic, along with any story that involves panties. <:/)

I wouldn't mind being a beta reader as well, or instead of en Editor.

Anyway, if you're desperate, or would like to try my editing skills on a trial basis, I would happily commit to that for you.

Thanks for your time and consideration, Tony VonHarten. (WetPantyFetish)

[personal info prohibited per our forum guidelines]
If I don't reply right away, I may have missed your reply in my junk mail as it is set to exclusive, meaning anyone not in my contacts will go there. Please feel free to re-send it.
you can also try the email in my profile. [personal info prohibited per our forum guidelines]

update: I activated my PM settings to receive them, so feel free to use that option as well.

Tahnks again, Tony
 
Last edited by a moderator:
*snip*
I love reading incest stories, but something that bothers me about many incest stories is that they are so unrealistic. Yeah, a loving incestuous relationship is unrealistic, but I’m talking about the setup to the story. She’s a smoking hot babe; he’s a handsome hunk; neither of them can get a date. They get along great. He tells her, “Nice shoes” and then they’re banging away in bed, declaring their true love for each other.

I feel the same way about incest stories. When I sat down to write mine, I worked very hard to make it feel realistic and have the build up that I felt like it needed. I am always really appreciative when I find stories that take the time to make them feel realistic and don't make the characters dive haphazardly into the incest. I commented on your story, but I want to say thanks again for an excellent read!


*snip*
I’ve been as bad as anyone about my brothers and sisters getting along so well that it’s a trivial step for their relationship to become romantic. I wanted it to be different in this story. I thought it would work particularly well in this case as the opening scene showed the irritation and frustration the brother feels towards his sister.

I loved the fight and frustration scene, that was very well handled in the story. I have to admit, I'm kind of jealous of how well I felt like you wrote that. It felt real and perfect for the story.

-Anomic
 
I really enjoyed your story. I found it original (to me), and it was an easy read.
Thanks!

I'm not the best reader, and for me that makes any imperfection, of any kind, stall my reading and interrupts the flow of the story. I am no English professor, nor did I do particularly well in High School English. I do however have a natural understanding for what "looks" correct, and for the flow of the text.
:
I wouldn't mind being a beta reader as well, or instead of en Editor.
I'd think it'd be best if you did beta-reading. Tomorrow, I'll send you some stories to look at.
 
I feel the same way about incest stories. When I sat down to write mine, I worked very hard to make it feel realistic and have the build up that I felt like it needed. I am always really appreciative when I find stories that take the time to make them feel realistic and don't make the characters dive haphazardly into the incest. I commented on your story, but I want to say thanks again for an excellent read!
Thanks! I'll take a look at your story when I have a chance.

I loved the fight and frustration scene, that was very well handled in the story. I have to admit, I'm kind of jealous of how well I felt like you wrote that. It felt real and perfect for the story.
Thanks! Just from comments, it's hard to tell what worked and what didn't in a story. What did you think of Mandy and positive consent?
 
Thanks! Just from comments, it's hard to tell what worked and what didn't in a story. What did you think of Mandy and positive consent?

Getting into my opinions on positive consent could open a can of worms. Haha I felt like you handled it well and I like how you pointed out how it just doesn't really work all that well in the real world. I understand the idea behind positive consent and I totally get why some people feel it is necessary, but Jesus... what a terribly unappealing way to go about a relationship.

I've met people like Mandy all my life and think that Tumblr is probably drowning in them. But I'd never survive a relationship with her. Todd was on the right track when thinking he'd not go back to her after the Summer was over. For being a character that you never actually see in the story and is only talked about, you did a great job of making her seem realistic and fleshed out.
 
I'm close to finishing another story, so I bumping this so it won't be tossed.

Edit: Stupid of me. They apparently don't delete any threads in this forum.
 
Last edited:
Hello, 8letters. I haven't read your blind date story yet, but I need to. My first published stories ended up being six chapters long. Called "Blind Date Awakening," it tells the story of a brother and sister who find each other through a chance blind date, fall in love, and basically rescue each other from seriously dark places and situations.

I also try to write my incest stories (well, one was more of a one-off romp with what I think is a very funny twist at the end) to be realistic and believable, with romance (hence my Lit name) involved. I want people to fall in love with the characters as I have. I still read a couple of places in my series and start to tear up!

Take a break to read them sometime, and let me know what you think!

https://www.literotica.com/s/blind-date-awakening
 
Hello, 8letters. I haven't read your blind date story yet, but I need to. My first published stories ended up being six chapters long. Called "Blind Date Awakening," it tells the story of a brother and sister who find each other through a chance blind date, fall in love, and basically rescue each other from seriously dark places and situations.

I also try to write my incest stories (well, one was more of a one-off romp with what I think is a very funny twist at the end) to be realistic and believable, with romance (hence my Lit name) involved. I want people to fall in love with the characters as I have. I still read a couple of places in my series and start to tear up!

Take a break to read them sometime, and let me know what you think!

https://www.literotica.com/s/blind-date-awakening
I saw your story when it was published. Before I submitted mine, I checked to see how many incest stories had "blind date" in the title. There weren't many. So to see a brother/sister incest story published shortly after mine was ironic.

I couldn't get into your story. Too much narrative summary before the story gets going. As for realistic, they've barely spoken in two years and after a meal, they're ready to hop in the sack and then declare their love for each other? I'd guess that not many readers made it to the end of your story as it only has 11 comments on a very highly-rated story. But the people who did read it to the end loved it.
 
Back
Top