Tigrans' Revenge IC

Gilly glared at Felina when she said “we are NOT friends…” “Don’t, just don’t,” Gilly said through gritted teeth and only loud enough that Felina could hear her.

Gilly watched at the snake woman approached them. She stood at the ready but was pretty sure they were not going to be attacked, but always be prepared is what her parents taught her. When the snake woman introduced herself and said she was a Naga ambassador, Gilly relaxed her weapon.
“Hi, I am Gilly and this is Felina. The bugs were probably after us because we put up the fliers that stated the truth and posted them over their fliers full of lies. Just a slight thorn in their side I guess.’

“We can’t stay here, more bugs will be coming soon,” said Jola. “We should head to my house; we can go through the river and hide all our scents. We should leave something to make it look like you both have died here. Remove your outer layer of clothing. Someone go gather two bodies from outside that are close to the size of Gilly and Felina. We will take those bodies and burn them and put pieces of your clothing around so they will think they are you. Of course if they look too close they will know at least one is not Gilly since they will both be Tigran bodies.”

They quickly do as Jola states and head towards the river. They leave through a window on the opposite side of the building where there was no fighting so they would not be detected. Felina was the last one out of the building, as she climbed through the window one of the frames had a split in the wood and tugged on her fur but did not cut her. What she didn’t know is some of her hair was left behind on that split wood. They make it to the river with no sign of bugs and safely make it back to Jola’s house.
 
The Capt’n and Throgram

The tigrans used the Wildebeasts for more than just for its meat. Almost every part of the animal has a useful purpose. From the hair used for pillows and making thread, to bones for making glue, to the horns for splitting wood, to its stomach used for water bags, the creature was an important source of many of the tigran everyday items. For miners …it was the tanned hide of the beast that provided important protection from the rough mining environment inside the caves.

The Capt’n and Throgram were in the shadows near a square in the Market district. At their feet were two bags full of clothing, food and other supplies. Now they watched as Tigrans, both men and women, gathered in the square … many of them carried the thick hide clothing from the Wildebeasts.

“So the hairballs … don’t want to fight” Throgram grumbled looking down at the two flyers he had in his hands, one from the demons, the other some kind of resistance group called “FO-R”.

“Aye … damn landlubbers … but let see what happens.” The Capt’n said still watching.

There was a small podium raised above the large crowd now … where a shadow demon stood on. “Tigrans … please assemble in two lines for marching …” The bug yelled out to the crowd.

Someone yelled back. “Where is King Goldenmane?”

The demon smoothly nodded. “The King is very busy … but I can assure you he has ordered you to help us. The humans are the enemy … not us. Your efforts in the mines will shorten the war and then we shall leave. Remember Tigran Honor: to be honest and truthful in your dealings with each other, and with those other outside races. Tigran Courage: Maintain honor regardless of personal consequences; to be loyal to the Tigran nation and your king, even in the face of personal adversity. Tigran honor and courage are well known throughout the land … do has your king requests”

“If this is the king’s order” someone held up the demon flyer “Where is his seal … I don’t see his seal on this flyers?” the tigran asked.

“The earthquake damaged Citadella … the seal was damaged” The bug replied.

“The human’s didn’t cause the earthquake … YOU DID … I lost my mother in it!” Another person said.

“An unfortunate … event caused by the human war on us. Many shadow demons have died … we are simply defending ourselves” The demon explained.

“If the king is too busy to talk to his people … what about the Queen or his head advisors … or the commander of the army? I think you are LYING TO US!!” Someone else said.

The bug on the podium was rattled by that comment. But after a second it nodded. “Fair question, tomorrow we’ll see if we can get a representative of the King to make an announcement.”

“It should be the King!! … We want to see King Goldenmane … he can’t be too busy for his people!!” Someone else yelled.

The bug nodded “I can not promise the king... please assemble into two lines”

The Capt’n and Throgram slipped away as the Tigrans started to form up into two lines. The two carried the bags over their shoulders and headed back to the meeting spot with Jola.

Throgram looked over to the Capt’n and said “That was interesting”

“Aye …!” The big tigran sea captain replied.

“I’m proud of our people …” Throgram said tears in his eyes.

"Aye … have you got t' fight in you now, Matey?" The Capt’n inquired.

“Yes … I’m sorry about what happened back at the prison … she was a damn snake woman … selling her out seemed like the best way to stay alive.” Throgram explained.

"Aye, I know naught about Nagas … very mysterious race … but she be smart and … she’ll be sending them bugs to Davy Jones' locker … you can see it in her eyes!" The Capt’n replied.
 
And then there were 5

Throgram and the Capt’n tossed the bags into the sideways window. They had kept the bags of supplies above their heads as they stood under the house hanging over the river, so the bags would not get wet. Then they followed the bags re-entering the house, they were surprised to see two new faces leaning back against the fat snake body of Jola (Jola’s human half was in the next room). A beautiful busty white furred tigran and a smaller but very sexy Halfling.

“Ahoy … there” the Capt’n said a charming smile on his face “me name’s Capt’n Bones Finnegan … But everyone calls me Capt’n Bones” The sea going tigran said … kissing each of their hands “Welcome … what may you buxom beauties name be?”

Gilly and Felina looked at each other almost ready to giggle. The sea captain talked so strangely and clearly was trying to flirt with them.

“I’m Felina … and this is Gilly” Felina said.

“My name is Throgram, I was a Captain in the Tigran Imperial Garrison” Throgram said coming forward and shaking their hands.

Jola’s human half returned to the room and handed a bottle to Felina “Here … it is a healing potion … just take a mouthful … should help your back.” Then she turned to the Capt’n. “What did you bring back?”

The Capt’n looked over to the Naga “Aye … food, black cloth, some other material for disguises, a few torches … some odds and ends” He explained then he pointed to the potion bottle “a bit of fighting … perhaps?”

Jola nodded “there were ten bugs chasing these two … but after we got through with them … there were none!” Jola stated with some satisfaction.

"Well … shiver me timbers, Jola … ye a killing machine. Why were the bugs after the lasses?” The Capt'n asked

“We were putting out flyers … the bugs did not like!” Felina answered for herself.

“Like this one” Throgram said handing her one of the flyers. Felina nodded

“Well … you’d be happy to know the flyers are working … many of the tigrans are questioning the king’s flyer.” Throgram explained.

Gilly and Felina looked at each other smiles on their faces. They had made a difference. Throgram explained what he had seen at the square.

“Sound like the bugs are going to have more problems … if the King does not make an appearance.” Felina concluded and then asked “And what are you three doing … you seem an unlikely group?”

Jola, Throgram, and Capt’n look at each other.

“Well … ye beauties … tis a long story … we had been captured by the scallywags and placed into prison … until Jola … all snake and muscle … busted us out of the brig … she is pretty and deadly … Good thing she’s on our side” The Capt’n explained.

Felina and Gilly agreed, both saying “We saw what she can do!!”

“Ok enough of this” Jola interrupted. “We broke out of the prison and we were gathering intelligence on what has been happening. Can you explain to us what has been going on?”

Felina and Gilly explained everything. Jola thought for a moment then came up with a plan.

“You two” She said pointing to Gilly and Felina “and I should sleep … tonight we are going to be busy. Capt’n and Throgram we’ll need black outfits … and you’ll need disguises for yourselves. Work on those … and stand watch … think about what intelligence we need to gather … and what targets we should hit … it is time to start messing with these bugs!”
 
Battle plans

Sir Deson Hild had found a perfect spot to put up a heroic defense. Queen Shella, Lord Haki, Sir Hild and Mirri were walking along the hillside among the dense jungle discussing the defensive options.

Queen Shella shook her head. “It appears the demon lords planned this well. I was a fool for not thinking they would send forces against us … and cut off our route across the river” she said. Although her face remained still, everyone could see it in her eyes that she knew it was hopeless, that they were all going to die on this mountain side.

“My queen, I was a fool for underestimating these demons as well.” Lord Haki stated “But I will not let the bugs win. I promised the king, god rest his soul that you would survive. You need to survive!!” Lord Haki stated firmly “Only you can marshal our people to counter attack!”

“What can we do now?” The queen asked everyone in the group.

“In my experience, when a few were victorious against many, it was by luck, surprise, weather, terrain and/or superior weapons or training. I think we’ll need all of these if we are going to win.” Lord Haki concluded. After a few seconds of thought he said “I have an idea to add to our superior weapons” he grinned and looked at Sir Deson Hill and patting him on the shoulder. “This spot is prefectly selected ... A rock slide … look over there and over on the other side … if during the battle … we could trigger … a rock slide … any forces in this wide ditch would be buried under rocks."

Mirri looked over to the chief military advisor, a smile on her face … “that is an excellent idea … but we’d need to pull our defenders out of there at the last second.” She said thinking out loud “an arrow barrage would do the trick …buy them enough time to retreat” She suggested

Mirri eyes were glowing in excitement as she added “Yes … the archers … would be on the ridges ... hidden ... that would be extra deadly. We need to protect their flaks … let’s hope the bugs have no flyers … "

“Now if only some of that luck would show up, we might be able to get out of this mess!!” Lord Haki pointed out.
 
Aziza and Sanura

The hills surrounding Ardalis were mostly jungle, but extensive forest clearing on the valley floor and irrigation had transformed the jungle into lush farm land. Grain fields, orchards, and vineyards created surprising light green farms vice the dark green jungle on the hill sides. It was out of that jungle Commander Hatur stood with Azziza and Sanura.

He pointed below … “There is the City of the Dead. Sometimes refer to as the Bone yard.” The commander stated. The two female tigrans stared at the sprawling burial grounds. The sun was starting to set but they could still make out some of the features like stone mausoleums … some mass graves, and various private plots.

“Good luck … be careful with those fire trap scrolls” He warned “Follow that main road … between the farms … it is heavily traveled … and the bugs will not know if we traveled there or not. We need to get the Claws back to the main group at the river crossing” The commander explained.

“We understand … and good luck to you too” Aziza said. They all shook hands and departed.

Aziza and Sanura carefully made their way towards the graveyard. “This is going to be creepy …” Sanura told her half-sister. Aziza nodded “I agree … but the queen needs us to set up traps and make noise here. And I for one will not let her down!” Just then they heard the howl of a lonely wolf. Both of them looked at each other … fear in their eyes!

The Mines of Ardalis

A road wound between high hills leading to fortified mining town of Makla. This road was full of tigrans marching from the city to the mines. Three guard outposts monitor the road at half-mile intervals. The camp occupied a plateau beneath a sheer cliff that contains the mine face. The plateau was crowded with guards, worker barracks, a small market area, a few inns and pubs, tools, a smelting compound, and heavy equipment.

The mines snaked into the mountain following the narrow red veins of the raw ore. Aside from smoke and the smell of smelting in the air at the town, the noise of Tigrans being provided picks and shovels could be heard. The town of Makla was doubling in size …as everyone the bugs could find were being sent to the mines to acquire iron .... why????
 
Last edited:
Skadu and the scouts

Commander Hatu had sent Skadu far out in front of the returning forces.They were to find the quickest and safest paths back to the river meeting place that would not leave a large trail for anyone to follow. The claws would be taking a slightly different path back and hoped to be both faster and a whole lot stealthier now that they no longer needed to mark the trail.

The scouts that Skadu had been training had come a long way. Now that they were actually listening to him, They had learned how to move with the forest and not against it, blending in a whole lot better with their surroundings and making far less noise. Skadu could still pick them out of course and his acute hearing could still pick up their movements, but they managed to stay invisible to several of the lower chain animals and he was sure they were good enough to avoid the attention of the bugs. Give him a month and he could make passable hunters out of them.

Suddenly he heard a small explosion. Whistling a series of bird calls he called for a halt and regroup at the next clearing. It did not take long and in two minutes everyone was assembled. He took pride in the way they made sure they could not be seen from the ground and kept themselves quiet. Speaking in barely a whisper Skadu began the meeting. "Who else heard an explosion?"
Only the two closest to him and the false trail raised their paws. "Hmm as I feared. The trail has been discovered and the bait taken. We must be careful now. Change our heading by two degrees to give us a wider margin. Drugan race back and inform Commander Hatu of this development and catch up at the camp site if you can later. The rest of us will continue laying the trail. By tonight I will be able to scout the old camp sight and tell him approximately how many went down the path. Good speed. The rest of you back to the task at hand. Looks like the plan worked."

The Tigran scouts grinned as they launched off and began marking the trail again, but Skadu was uneasy. He didn't know why but he had learned to trust these feelings. He wanted to speed up but knew this task was also important. His hunters training kept him on task. Complete the job and move on to the next. Still he was uneasy.
 
Isis and the Royal Lancers!

Inara’s back was against a tree, she had no weapon. Fear was written all over her face as a shadow demon approached. The demon’s spear was lowered and pointed right at the Royal Lancer’s belly. All the creature needed to do was step forward and thrust the spear and Inara would be dead.

The bug made a few clicking sounds and then said in the common language “Time for you to die … SPY”

Suddenly from under the bug’s insect legs came a sword … up from the ground the sword came and plunged into the bug’s crotch … and popping out the creature’s back. The arm holding the sword was that of a Lion tigran. The demon's inner fluids spilled from its mouth and it fell over dead, as Isis came out of the pit dug in the ground and brushed off her fur.

Inara whispered “well it worked … but can someone else be the bait next time?”

Isis shook her head “No, you’re the fastest runner”

Inara groaned “so I guess you don’t want to “de-bait” this subject?”

Isis laughed “Where did you learn about puns?”

"Some human women ... i met years ago" Inara explained.

Jade and Tawny returned from their scouting missions after 20 minutes. “The bugs have taken up positions on both flanks of the Queen Shella’s forces. They have moved in a large group of the bombardment beetles ... I believe the battle will start soon” Jade reported.

Tawny nodded in agreement and added “I also heard the buzzing of Stingers … Lots of them!”

Isis gasped “Hairball tail pullers … where did they come from!!” Isis growled answering her own question “It does not matter we must warn the Queen”

Jade asked “Captain Isis … warning is not enough …isn’t there anything we can do to help?”

Isis looked at her “It would be very dangerous … and may compromise our intelligence gathering … so normally I’d say no … but I agree we must blunt the stingers! Royal Lancer prepare … We go to battle as soon as I contact the queen with the crystal ball” Isis ordered

After she had warned the queen, Isis ran with her fellow Lancers towards the buzzing noise … Not for the first her thoughts returned to Scar … how she missed him … how she wished he was here now … he would have come up with a clever way to get rid of the stingers … She wondered how he was doing and where he was … and if she would ever see him again!

Queen Shella

Queen Shella placed the crystal ball back in her bag as she sighed. The attack would begin very soon. She needed to warn talon leader Mirri. There were also reports the enemy had stingers … large flying bugs that looked like Mosquitoes … it was another piece of bad news.

No help had arrived … the enemy was stronger than they had thought … defensive structures had not been completed yet … She shook her head.

Death was coming … she could feel it. It was coming like a thief in the night … coming to take away the race of tigrans … she knew it was coming and she had barred the windows and doors. But it had found a new way into the tigran house … what else could she do to protect her race?!!

Lord Haki and Talon Leader Mirri

The two leaders sat together one last time before the battle. They had discussed and reviewed their defensive strategies. The dense vegetation limited lines of sight and arcs of fire the bugs could use … it also provided ample opportunity for camouflage and material they had used to build fortifications.

The Jungle terrain limited access … so supplies and transportation for the bugs would be difficult. Jungle fighting was best for effective small unit tactics and leadership, not large scale battles like the bugs were trying to accomplish. However … as Lord Haki and Talon leader Mirri were finding out … being surrounded by 3000 demon … with only 500 soldiers was not a good feeling even if the tactic books told you otherwise.

“You shall command the left flank … remember to husband your archers … they will be needed to provide to bombardment for the blocking forces …” Mirri reminded him.

Lord Haki nodded “I’ll do everything in my power … but if the stingers attack … we’ll need to defense ourselves!” the lord explained.

“Understand … good luck!” She said shaking his hand.

The battle begins

At high noon … 100 demon beetles, Bombard, opened up a furious bombardment against the dug in Tigran front lines. 100’s of magical energy explosions rocked the tigrans. The jungle was filled with smoked and fires started. fires blazed on the hill sides … it looked like a volcano had erupted on the left and right flanks of the tigran forces. Lord Haki was behind his rock and wooden wall … as explosions burst around him … A messenger next to him, yelled at him “How long will this last??” He yelled back “30 mins … then expect all hell to break loose!!”

“This is not hell??” The messenger asked.

Lord Haki sadly nodded “No”

After the 30 mins ... the battlefield was totally quiet ... a voice rang out over it (Sub-commander Ekkchew) "Tigran give up ... you can not win ... the human with you is our enemy not you. Turn him over to us ... stop believing his lies ... and we will let you all live."

Queen Shella answered right away "Demons ... as the queen off the tigran people ... I, Shella, decline your offer ... The human is our friend ... he has saved many of us from your dishonorable surprised attack ... you have lied before ... and you lie again ... however ... I offer you one chance to redeem yourself. Face me alone ... in single combat ... the winner takes all. What say you ... a queen against you, a seasoned warrior?" The queen countered.

There were gasps amoug the tigran staff. But the demon's answer calmed them

"No ... that is not a fair offer ... prepare to die." The voice answered

"Your lies have been revealed ... I still hope to meet you in combat ... and it will be my pleasure to sink my fangs into your neck... taste your guts and send you to HELLLLL!" the queen screamed back. There was a ROAR from the tigrans cheering the queen's answer.
 
Last edited:
Deson was kneeling behind the cover of a dug-out, in one hand he held a cup of water, in the other a hand-held crossbow, he murmured words which didn't just sound ancient, they were, the water in the cup started to glow with a golden light, then he poured the golden liquid over the crossbow. He murmured a few more words and the crossbow itself took on a glow of it's own, he rose from his cover, leveled the crossbow at the front ranks of the attacking force, raised his aim to allow for the fall of the bolt and as arrows clanged against his armor he released the bolt. A shaft of curved golden light arched into the midst of the bombard beetles, first nothing happened, mocking laughter rose from the demons and then an explosion of golden light ripped through them as the light which had been steadily sifting downwards touched the first bug. Deson gave a grin, signed a cross in the direction of the opposition and said loudly,

"Amen."

He ducked back behind his cover and moments later another cup was glowing with golden light, this time he poured the contents over his swords and the bolt which he fitted to the still glowing crossbow. He knew what the commander was and he was going to make sure he destroyed him.
 
Mirri

Mirri had given command to the left flank to Lord Haki and was debating about the other two commands. While the church knight Hild was a good warrior the Tigrans would not follow him until he had proved himself. That left her or the Queen. While Mirri knew she was a fine warrior, she did not want to risk their one beacon of hope in battle. Their options however were severely lacking.

"My queen stay towards the back and rally the troops. Your voice will do more to inspire them than your sword arm believe me." She lef 5 of her most trusted people as her bodyguards then raced to take charge of the right flank.

The fortifications had been built nicely here and she arrived in time to see the bugs charging forward. A stray arrow flew towards them. "Hold your fire you fools. Let them come to us. See how the slope narrows and comes together in front of us," she indicated a spot close to them no more than 30 meters distant. "That is when we will hit them. The first two volleys to be aimed at the front runners only. I want that gap choked with their dead. Then as they mill around aim higher and kill off from the back rows in. Choke them in with their own dead. Units at the front to watch for any stragglers that manage to get through. You are our protection. Let's start getting our revenge. Claws out!"

"Fight hard," roared her defenders.
 
The right flank

The bugs attacked on both flanks … and up the middle!! Bug infantry began moving soon after the 30 mins bombardment was completed. The attack was on the southern end of Mountain range … on one of the spurs. If the attack were successful it would opened up the right flank of the mountain defense. But the 600 bugs were at a big disadvantaged by the approach through dense jungle, steep and rocky slopes, and with a lack of knowledge of the terrain. The dug-in tigrans were waiting and ready!

Mirri could see the hoard approaching … but the advance was slow … the hill side too steep … her force were ready … she just had to give the order ...

The middle

At the main defensive line was held by the biggest and best melee fighters the claws had. Sir Hild was among them. His armor shinning in the sun as the demons advanced through a knee-deep swamp water direct at the blocking force. The narrow ditch Sir Hild had found made it difficult for the bugs to mass their forces … and a small wall had been hastily put together at the water edge. The tigran defenders hid behind the wall and the bombardment had little effect on them.

The tigran crouched and drew their weapons as the bugs got closer … waiting for Sir Hild to give the order to stand up and defend the wall.

On the left flank

On the left flank the bugs crossed some of the most difficult terrain … there were steep cliffs and the sloops were scattered with huge rocks. Lord Haki blocking force had not had enough time to build many defensive structures … so they were forced to fire from behind trees and rocks. The lord had deployed his few melee soldiers behind the rocks … and the archers in the trees.

Lord Haki had order that no arrows were to be used yet … Let the melee soldier defend the left flank as the archers conserved their arrows. The bugs were getting closer and closer … Lord Haki saw them bunching up … and waved to the boulder unit … large rocks rolled towards the bunching demons. Crashing into them …as bodies went flying. Lord Haki was saving his arrows … but rocks … he had plenty of those! the sounds of the bug bodies "bursting" open from the rock impacts ... put a smile of his face. Until he heard a tigran yell "More bombardment ... take cover!!" and suddenly the ground exploded next to him.
 
Swamp gas, usually found in swamps. Swamp gas, result of rotting vegetation and animals. Swamp gas, found in swamp water, diverted or otherwise. Deson was sorry that the Tigran's had to suffer the smell of the swamp water, he was glad about what that water held as defensive position. As the first of the bugs started to scale the wall, he saw a fire arrow lit, that meant that the larger body of demons was in the water. Only the older Tigrans had understood when Deson told them of his plan, their sly grins showed some respect of his tactical mind.

Then the arrow streaked out, it dipped gracefully and within a foot or two from the water it expanded...the explosion that followed rocked everybody behind the wall to the ground. The demons on the other hand fared much worse, though the flames wasn't warm enough to burn through their shells, the shockwave was enough to cause grievious internal organ demolishing. All over bugs were twitching with body fluids leaking from inside. Deson peeked over the top to survey the damage, a good portion of the attackers lay dead, but the rest came rushing forward.

When the first line almost reached the top of the low wall, deson stood and drew his huge sword, his sudden appearance made most of the bugs falter, Deson pointed his weapon at them and gave a grin as evil as any of the demonlords could muster,

"You follow a coward who commands from the rear. Come forth creatures and meet thou doom."

A series of clicks followed and the demons surged forward once more,

"Fire!"

Arrows darted into the sky, the Tigrans in the front ranks joined Deson, all of them armed with long reach weapons. Blades glinted and fell, carapces resisted the blows, but not for long. Soon bugs fell backwards, screaming their last. No demon's natural armor withstood the golden hued edge of Deson's sword though, as it touch them it slid through them like a hhot knife through soft fat, it only met resistance in their weapons. Deson had by now rested up and bugs fell from his position with regularity.
 
The Death of Isis

Music to listen to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHQIuF7TPoM

Inara, Jade, Tawny, and Isis peered through the dense jungle undergrowth at the open field. There were at least 100 stingers on the ground … beating their wings … but not flying yet. Tawny whispered to Isis “What are they waiting for? Why don’t they join the attack?”

Isis looked to her and exclaimed “Orders!! … Jade head over to that trail” She pointed “kill any shadow demons approaching this field. I want them to stay on the ground!”

Jade nodded and took off silently.

“That won’t last long” Tawny whispered back “they are itching to take off … we need to do something”

Isis nodded … she knew Tawny was right. But there was only 4 of them … and 100 of the flying bugs. Each one of them could not hope to kill 25 stingers each … one stinger was a hand full by itself! That was why Isis knew the queen and the defenders would not survive … if these things joined the battle. She had to keep them on the ground.

“I have an idea …” Isis told Tawny and Inara. Opening up her backpack and pulling out a bottle of Fourwinds’ Anterian Brandy. Surprised looks from both of them demanded an answer from her “A gift for Scar” Isis explained

She pulled out her dancing veils pouring some of the fluid on them. “When the time is right … gather some straw … soak it in the brandy and toss it high in the air … shoot a flaming arrow into it at its maximum height. Understand?” She told Tawny

The former entertainer from Madame Isis’s cat house understood what Isis was about to do. “You can’t do this … you’ll be killed!”

“We all have to die at some point” Isis answered.

“NO … there must be another way!” Inara said tears in her eyes

Isis eyes grew hard “This is a direct order … you are royal lancers. Now do as I have instructed.” She ordered. Her eyes softened “Tell the big furry guy … I loved him!”

Without another word … Isis headed for the clearing. She ran at the last moment … exploding into the clearing as she flipped and spun, her blades flashing in the noon day light. The stingers roared with delight … and turned to face her. Isis feigned concern with exaggerated expression on her face as the ferocious creatures took off and buzzed around her … trying to sting her but before they could connect, Isis tumbled away in a dazzling display of veils and knifes that left the deadly creatures confused, some of their wings were cut from slashes of her dangers …a dozen cuts landed … that the stingers never saw. Several were on the ground now … unable to fly anymore. Tawny and Inara watched what she was doing … Isis was not trying to kill them … just damage their wings. The veils of silk that whirled around Isis as she danced away … sprayed the HIGHLY flammable brandy on the bugs as they flew around her … trying to sting her.

However … there were too many bugs … even for Isis. Tawny and Inara gasped … as a stinger landed a blow … the needle sank deep into Isis’ leg… she quickly cut off the stinger as she spun up and over the flying bug … slashing at its wings … but her moments slowed … she could not put too much weight on that leg… the needle still in her leg. She was doomed … both Tawny and Inara knew it.

Inara grabbed her daggers and more veils pouring the brandy on them … before Tawny could stop her … she raced for the clearing screaming “FOR THE QUEEN” … Her skill with the blades could not match Isis’ … but Inara weaved a similar deadly dance in the clearing, tumbling and capering as she deliver rapid fire cuts and slashes to the confused bugs. Half the bugs were chased her now … Isis screamed “NOOOOO” when she saw Inara … a minute later … Jade was in the clearing too … dancing, slashing.

Inara … was the first to fall … a stinger grabbed her enough to pick her up … 10 feet off the ground … the young tigran cut off the insect arm holding her but as she fell another one place its stinger under her … she was impaled on the stinger and was dead.

Jade turned and yelled “NOOOO Inara …” that small lack of focus … was her downfall. Two bugs attacker at the same time … their stingers going through her chest. Jade knew she was dead … but she wanted revenge on those two … she grabbed their stingers … and pulled them through her body and plunged it into the two stingers that had stabbed her. Then she was no more.

Isis … finally could not dance away fast enough … and a bug grabbed her … soon she was 40 feet above the clearing … when a massive fireball lite up the sky and most of the remaining stingers. They caught fire … and screamed in terror as the brandy on them burst into flames … burning off their wings. This included the one carrying Isis. She screamed as she tried to get on top of the crashing bug … to cushion the landing. But she did not make it… and smashed into the jungle.

30 miles away in the city … Scar was in the city … when he suddenly had a feeling … something terrible had just happened …and it had been caused by the shadow demons!
 
The Right Flank

Mirri waited until they hit the bottle bottle neck and then yelled "Fire." The first volley went up and the second was in the air as the first landed. The bugs were so bunched together that the arrows could not fail to hit and hundreds dropped dead clogging the pass. "Adjust aim, Fire again," Yelled Mirri.

Arrows again arched into the air this tim scything into the rear ranks. Not as many hit as some overshot their mark but again they took a heavy toll severely hampering the bugs ability to retreat. "Fire at will, Mop these Demons up. Front ranks prepare to watch for any that break through."

Ten minutes later it was done. The pass was littered with dead bugs. Only twenty had made it through but they had been mopped up easily by the Tigrans in the front ranks eager to kill. Some had run but they would not make it back through this pass.

"Alright back down to the main fight. Let's lend our strength to the queen." A cheer went up as they turned and ran down the cliff path towards the sounds of battle below.
 
Deson knew that they could not hold the line forever, for every bug that fell more rushed forward, but every Tigran that fell was a huge loss. Then the left flank buckled, tigrans rushed by to strengthen the line,

"Fall back! Second Position!"

The second position was basically the bottom of the wall, they used their long weapons to harry the bugs and making it a target rich gallery for the archers. But even this was slowly being overwhelmed, Tigrans fought fiercely as was their nature, but the demons had superior numbers.

"Fall back!"

They fell back to where the archers were, the archers fell back to more elevated ground and started firing as soon as they could. Deson stood and looked as the shadow demons clambered over and surged forward. He raised his sword, it drew the attention of the demons, they seemed to converge on him. It caught the attention of the Tigrans as well,

"For the Queen!"

Weapons rose and a roar went through the ranks, a few seconds later the front of the demon attack slammed into them. Longer weapons dropped for shorter weapons, the fight was now close and dirty, Deson had drawn his sword, whom also glowed golden and sheathed the larger sword, his shield came out from where it was strapped to his back. Fighting was now fierce and escalated fast, he held as much ground as he could, then Mirri's group came through to join them. A foolish commander would have been tempted to fight longer with reinforcements arriving,

"Fall back!"

This time the falling back action was slower, they fought hard not to be overwhelmed, weapons clanged against his armor, an arrow or two whistled passed his head, yet Deson kept standing, killing bugs and slowly falling back. He never saw what hit him, one moment he had killed a shadow demon with a lunge and then the world went black around him. He came to when a warm, coarse object ran across his face,

"If you are licking me I will slap you."

He opened his eyes and found a Tigran veteran looking down at him with a grin, a rough cloth in his hand, the battle raged just a few yards from them. Deson struggled to his feet with help from the Tigrans around him,

"A pot with water. Hurry."

By some minor miracle his weapons were all intact, even the small crossbow. A few moments later four Tigrans brought a huge pot closer. He cracked his neck and knelt down, ancient words mixed with the battle sounds, the water took on a golden hue,

"Place all your weapon blades in the water."

The group was staring at the water, but quickly snapped out of their transfixed wonder and did as he asked, he spoke the final words and the glow now afixed to their blades,

"To the front, send back more to have their weapons blessed, the blades will kill the demons faster, but their weapons will still deflect yours. Go!"

Moments later more Tigrans showed up, bloody and ragged, the front line was closer than he had thought at first. The same command, the same words with the same results,

"Send more back, time is running out."

Pretty soon as the fighting reached his position more than half the forces was fighting with blessed weapons, the demons fell like wheat before a schythe, but still they came.

"Should've thought about this sooner Deson. You can be a fool at times."

He rose, found his knees a bit rubbery, then a Tigran went down and the demon came straight at him, he spoke the final words, dipped his hand into the water and threw it at the demon. A splash followed by a loud clap sent the demon flying backwards,

He grabbed the handle, found bodies around him, hands grasping the pot, they picked it up, ran forward with cries of defiance and shot the golden liquid from the pot like one would toss out foul water. It landed against the bugs and a loud explosion ran through their ranks directly in front of Deson and his aidees. He drew his sword as the pot was taken and he filled the breach in the ranks. The fighting raised in creschedo, all the while the Tigrans fell back steadily, they had reached the start of the rocky defile, they needed a reprieve as exhaustion was taking it's toll. It was time for the rock slide.
 
Ikalaz force

Ikalaz was as mad as he had ever been. Half his army … had drowned in the quick sand trap. The tigran had lay down a false trail and his incompetent sub-commanders had fallen for it. IDIOTS. The loses had been upsetting … but the loss of time was worse. His remaining 500 soldiers would be late to the attack on the tigran forces. He had them marching at double time now. The only thing that made the soul collector’s mood slightly brighter was he could feel the human’s magic, his blessing of the weapons of the tigrans. Fowl magic from a knight from the church, it made his skin crawl. Ikalaz want to collect this one’s soul … it would cheer him up.

He screamed at the bugs near him “TRIPLE TIME … FASTER …FASTER”

The Main Demon Army

Sub-commander Ekkchew was pleased with progress so far. The shadow demon infantry had done its job … softing up the Tigran defensive lines. The main attack appeared to be going well … with the tigran’s retreating. It was too bad he had lost one full company of stingers. But the second company had taken off and attacked the left flank. The screams of the dying could be heard all the way down into his jungle command post.

It was time to send in the main attack element and crush the tigrans once and for all. He ordered a renewed Bombardment from the bomdard beetles. A full attack from the 2 companies of mounted shadow demons (these were highly trained shadow demons riding atop massive beetles) … and an attack from the floating “brain” demons. Their magical energy draining attacks should break the Tigrans. But he did not want to fail … so in addition … he sent in both of the massive Harvester demons he had. The size of a large dragon … these creatures would consume the souls of the tigrans … and hatch new demons from each soul consumed.

Victory would be his … within an hour ... he thought.



The Left Flank

Lord Haki head was still ringing from the last bomdardment … and now it had started up again. He swung his sword and sliced off the head of a stinger that flew too close to him. And to make matter even worse … additional infantry units renewed their attacks. The left flank high ground was about to collapse … but Lord Haki had one more trick up his sleave.

He ordered the remaining tigrans to retreat ~ 100 feet and then hold. He smiled at how cleaver this was. The massive bombardment … would now land directly on the shadow demons own army. “HE HE” he laughed … as he ran backwards. He had order all weapons be used and his archer had used lots of arrows. It could not be helped. The main force in the ditch would need to fend for themselves.

“Release the rocks … MORE ROCKS!!” he screamed … as he threw a dagger at a hovering stinger …the blade went through it’s thin wing … causing a rip … followed by the creature's crash to the ground.
 
Last edited:
Aziza and Sanura

Tigran burial rituals were unique among the races. Tigran’s were famous for the ritual called “the turning of the bones.” Once every five to seven years, a family had a celebration at its ancestral crypt where the bodies of the dead, wrapped in cloth, were exhumed and sprayed with wine or perfume. A band plays at the lively event, as family members dance with the bodies of the dead. For some, it’s a chance to pass family news to the deceased and ask for their blessings — for others, it’s a time to remember and tell stories of the dead. As a result, Tigrans had built large mausoleum and accessible grave sites, so the bodies of the dead could be brought up easily. It also meant … the boneyard was a perfect place for rebel and guerilla operations.

Aziza and Sanura had walked around the massive graveyard for most of the rest of day looking for a place they could set up as defensible base camp. The sun had gone down 30 mins ago … but with the light of the full moon, they could continue their search. They found themselves walking up a gravel pathway. The moonlight seemed to exaggerate the shadows of the trees and gravestones. Aziza and Sanura had their swords out … as they walked towards the old gray mausoleum at the end of the gravel pathway.

“This is the best place we have seen” Sanura said. Aziza looked over to Sanura “I agree … are those streaks of light flickering from the cracks around the door?” She asked her half-sister. Their curiosity peaked, they walked towards the door. Maybe someone else had discovered this place. Who? Maybe a séance? A coven of witches? Another group of survivors? Shadow demons?

Aziza peeked through the crack in the door, the room was filled with a warm glow of candlelight, but the room was empty. She pulled open the door, Sanura peered inside hesitantly. It was empty, but several candles were lit and placed in holders around the room. Both of them cautiously stepped inside and looked around. Aziza quietly closed the door behind her. The air was not dank or musty, but was warm and had the slight scent of roses. Sanura noted the niches along one wall of the room, all filled with ornate urns. There was enough warm light for Aziza to see the lovely carvings in the marble and the ornate design on the ceiling. Aziza and Sanura stepped around the crypt. Both of them heard a stirring behind them, the door to the mausoleum was opening. They both froze for a moment then slowly turn around to see ...
 
Jonz

He would have been on his way after lunch, but 6 Stingers had found him, if it was an attack there would have been more, he accepted that these were scouts and that the smoke had attracted their attention. Attacking a Draconian who is more dragon than man, you do not announce yourself. Five of the Stingers died in the alteration, the sixth racing away through the trees with a damaged wing. Jonz had broken up camp and left, he came across what had to be a cemetary, there was only one place that he could stay and that was a masoleum with a big enough door for him.

He was returning from a small forraging hunt, in one hand a rabbit hung limply by it's ears, he was chewing on a root as he pushed open the door. He sniffed as he stepped inside, something was different. As his eyes found the intruders, he cursed the aromatic root which had dulled his smell, drew a sword and called up a fireball in his other hand,

"So your pet Stinger delivered it's report? You should have brought more."

Unknown to Jonz the Stinger had crashed into a tree due to the tattered wing and at that moment served as a meal to the scavangers. He drew his arm back, ready to throw the fire at these intruders.
 
Aziza and Sanura

The two Tigrans could not believe their eyes, a Draconian… here ... at the boneyard. Neither of them had ever met one before … Aziza had seen one at the market place 2 years ago, but the creature had been across the square … far away. This one, however, was very close … and he was huge! Standing at over 7 ft tall. His skin looked golden in color … but it was hard to tell in the candle light, but his eyes were green with a piercing intensity! This was a formidable creature not to be under estimated.

Both Aziza and Sanura were frightened to the point of standing rooted in one spot. They did not even raise their swords to defend themselves. It was like a dragon freeze had them in its power. All Aziza could think was, 'don't pee … don’t pee" as fear gripped her.

The draconian stalked closer towards them, drew his sword and a fireball formed in his other hand.

“So your pet Stinger delivered its report? You should have brought more." He growled anger in his voice … as he got ready to throw the fireball.

Sanura knees grew weak … too weak to hold her up. She fainted and slumped to the floor. That got Aziza out of her freeze. “SANURA” She gasped …and went to her half-sister, dropped her sword and knelt besides Sanura trying to wake her. Sanura did not wake up. Aziza turned to the draconian.

“What did you do to her?” She asked … as her heart seemed to stop beating. “We did not know this was your … place … we saw the lights and came to investigate …” She tried to explain.
 
First the two didn't move, then one fell over and the other dropped her weapon to go to the other one. Females of their species. This gave Jonz pause, they didn't act like warriors,

"What have you done to her?"

The explanation of why they were there seemed rushed and he realized that he still had his arm drawn back with the fireball spitting and fizzling as energy coursed through it.

"I did nothing to her."

The fireball slowly died down as he drew the energy back into himself,

"You two do not belong here, you are not warriors nor grave tenders."

He sniffed,

"One works with clay and fire, so since you are not handlers of the Stingers, you are not grave tenders...who are you?"

His sword was still drawn and ready to lash out at any sign of treachery
 
Aziza and Sanura

"I did nothing to her." the draconian said … as the fireball slowly disappeared. But his sword was still drawn and pointed at them. "One works with clay and fire, so since you are not handlers of the Stingers, you are not grave tenders...who are you?" The half dragon half man asked.

Sanura groaned, as Aziza propped her up against the wall. “Are you ok?” She asked her half-sister. Sanura nodded. Knowing her sister was recovering … Aziza stood up and faced the draconian. She knew little about this race. They were part dragon and part human and they shared many of the same positive and negative aspects as their dragon and human counter parts. She had never dealt with a dragon before … but she did know about humans. Her family had contracts with some of the human cities ... for goods and services ... they could be trusted.

She looked at him again … the fireball gone … so he was ready to listen. Again her mind tried to come to grip with how large he was … how powerful his arms, legs and thick tail were. From the way he held his head … she could only describe it as regal and proud – until she looked into his eyes. She saw a hidden pain in them … a sadness … an isolation. She was ready to talk to him.

“Thank you staying your hand. My name is Aziza … and this is my half-sister Sanura. We recently fled the city of Ardalis. The city has been invaded and captured by shadow demons. The stingers you speak of … are most likely from the city. The demons seek to capture all tigrans and non-tigrans. For what purpose is unclear.” Aziza explained.

“Sanura and I would … welcome a place to spend the night. We are willing to share our food … and information with you. I do not believe we are enemies … and that may make us allies … when it comes to shadow demon attacks. Do we have accord?” Aziza asked.
 
He cocked his head as he listened to her story, the smoke he smelled and glow he saw would have been the attack on the city. At her question he sheathed his sword with a practiced movement,

"As far as I know, our two races are not at war, since our natural enemies are demons, that means that I am more likely to attack them, than I am likely to attack you. That said, I am also a mercenary, though a demon will not be able to buy my services, I do not fight for anybody, unless well paid of course."

He motioned the tomb,

"This is much more yours than it is mine. I will make you a better offer, you allow me to stay and I will share what food I have."

He turned to pick up the rabbit and held it up by it's ears,

"Rabbit stew with day-old bread, it's better than wolf's leg and hockberry roots."
 
Oops... i just lost 2000 shadow demons ... my bad!

Ikalaz had divided the force 1000 would follow the knight of the church … 2000 under Sub-commander Kulz, would follow the larger group of tigrans which had headed towards to the city of bones.

Sub-commander Kulz' forces included 1500 shadow demons … 300 mounted cavalry units, and 200 bombard demons. The force was more than a match for the 500 Tigran solders which had headed towards the city of bones. This over confidence and superiority in numbers would spell the downfall of Sub-commander Kulz’ forces. Kulz was so over confident … the bugs did not even march in combat formation. As they entered the jungle, they found the narrow and heavily booby trapped trail. Kulz neglected to send out reconnaissance parties ahead of the main body of troops …. So the traps were even more deadly.

The line of march was stretched out perilously long … units would wander down false trails and would never be seen again. Finally, Kulz was informed that contact had been lost to over 50% of his force. The sub-commander laughed off the report and killed the messenger which had delivered it.

It was at this time … Commander Hatur of the tigran claws received reports from the Skadu’s scouts that the bait had been taken and the bugs had set off numerous explosions along the trail to the city of bones. The commander had to make a tough decision … attack the weaken and thinned line of shadow demons … or continue to the river meeting spot and join the queen and the main tigran army.

He chose to attack the shadow demons. He diverted his forces. 300 tigrans to the jungle to harass and weaken the bugs … while 200 would go back with the scouts to be led by Skadu.

“The hunter knows what he is doing … follow his every command … good luck” He told them … on a whim … he added “Hurry … make haste”

Both these decisions were made based upon almost no information. They would later be cited over and over in text books as critical ones to the survival of the tigran army.

Commander Hatur’s forces encountered the shadow demons in a dispersed, disorganized formation stretched out in the dense jungle. The Tigran attackers surrounded elements of the shadow demon army … and rained down arrows on the intruders. The shadow demons could not return fire … as the bombard demons were located in another part of the formation. The shadow demons … died by the hundreds … and when they tried to engage the archers … they would leave the trail … and fall it more booby traps. Trapped … Sub-commander Kulz directed the troops to fortify in place. This was another blunder …as the tigran …moved closer and picked off bugs one by one. After several hours of this … Sub-commander Kulz order a break out using the cavalry units … charging into the tigran lines … the break-out was accompanied by heavy losses to the demon lord army … Sub-commander Kulz was killed in the attempt … the surviving bugs less than 100 … made their way back toward the city Ardalis.

300 tigrans and numerous traps and false trails … had defeated an army of over 2000 shadow demons. This was a huge victory, but it would not make any difference if the main Tigran army did not survive.

Hell … on the mountain side.

The middle defensive line under the leadership of the human Knight had fought a perfect retreat action … making the bugs work hard for every inch of ground they won. The tigran forces however were growing tired and the attacks from the bugs seemed endless. Something was about to give … and it was not going to be the shadow demons.

The renewed bombardment …was problematic as the defenders needed to duck for cover instead of defending. The arrival of floating brain demons … gave the demons the high ground. Energy explosion raining down on Sir Deson. Mirri had arrived ... and brought additional men ... throwing these at the frontlines. However the floating bugs ... dropped energy draining explosions all around the female talon leader. These floating bugs seemed to target the tigran command structure.

But the arrival of the two harvestor demons … was what finally broke the defensive lines of the tigrans. The things were massive. Easily over 40 feet long, the huge body was hideous to look at. Its jaws full of manacles. Under its jaws was an orange sack … which glowed, expanded and contracted. It body shone a deep black … with a blue glow underneath. It had wings but they did not appear big enough to carry its massive bulk. The creature’s shining dark eyes, over a foot in diameter were fixed on the knight … and the other harvestor was looking at Mirri. The creature moved directly toward each of them. their feelers waving in front of it.

A tigran foot soldier saw the danger to the human knight and rushed to intercept it. With bombardment explosions going off all around him … and tigran sword slammed in the huge creature. Sinking all the way into its body, but the thing was so massive it did not even feel the blow. The sword was not long enough to each any important organs. The havestor turned on the tigran and shallowed him whole. The poor soldier screamed once … and he was gone.

Not more than 1 minute later … a shadow demon larva … dropped from the harvestor bug’s back end. The larva … shrieked and spit acid at the tigran defenders ... joining the attack!
 
Deson didn't want any of the soldiers to offer themselves up, there wasn't enough of them left.

"Archers!"

He pointed at the floating brains, at least that would keep them busy. He needed that rock slide and he needed it fast,

"Fall back! FALL BACK!!!"

As the harvester bored down on him Deson drew his crossbow, he leveled the crossbow at the harvester's head. It roared at him, realizing the enchantment of the weapon, but it's size not much of a worry to it, Deson said a soft prayer and fired. The bolt flew straight and true, almost like guided by an invisible hand, the easy target would have been the mouth, it would have made no impact. The bolt embedded itself in the Harvester's left eye, it's roar turned to a scream of pain, but nothing seemed to happen further. The harvester focused it's gaze back at Deson, if looks could kill the knight would have died a hundred times...then a gold explosion blew part of the Harvester's head open.

Deson turned and forced the relieved Tigrans closest to him backwards, there was no time to celebrate, he had not killed it, only maimed it and there was more creatures to deal with. Where was that rock slide? Then a low rumble started to the left flank and dust started to rise between the trees,

"Fall back now!!"

The first of the smaller boulder already came crashing down through the trees and he knew that the bigger ones would follow.
 
Mirri

Mirri had led her troops back into the fray and had help shore up the lines and for a while they had been doing well. Then the flying brain demons had come and started firing off their explosive bolts had severely put a dent in their forward momentum. Then the huge harvesters moved in and started to target her and Sir Deson and suddenly they were on the defensive and falling back.

Mirri moved from side to side along the left side of the battle field, killing demons as she fell back but always falling back. She was never able to stop and breathe only kill and move. The large Harvester seemed to follow her wherever she went and with every Tigran life it took another demon was born to add to the demon armies ranks. Mirri finally ordered all Tigrans to keep away from her and drew the harvester away to one side of the battlefield. She danced around killing demons with nearly every stroke of her sword but there always seemed to be more. It was getting harder and harder to avoid her opponents weapons and she knew it would only take one slip and they would be all over her.

A barrage of arrows thinned the ranks of the demons around her and she was able to kill the few left. Finally able to grab a few seconds of blessed relief, she sucked in lungfuls of air while looking around. The other harvester was still going after Sir Deson and he had been forced to retreat as well. All along the lines the Tgrans were now retreating while still making the Demons pay but they in turn were loosing precious fighters. She looked up and realized that they were almost through the rock defile. Grinning she ran to the middle of the battlefield shouting orders as she went. Wherever she went Tigrans fell back and then formed up and knocked arrows. Soon there was a solid line of Tigrans stretching right across the battlefield. "Fire," she yelled and hundreds of arrows filled the sky and plunged into the demons ranks a second flight already in the air before the first landed.

The last few survivors began to scramble towards the line and Miri hoped Sir Deson would soon appear so she could order the rock slide activated. If they waited too much longer the Harvesters would make it out of the danger zone and they couldn't have that. Suddenly she heard the rumble of the rock slide starting. Sir Deson must have activated it and right at the perfect moment. The Tigran army cheered as Tonnes of rock crashed down upon the advancing demons and the Harvester bugs.
 
Last edited:
As was previously mentioned, plate armor was not conductive to speed, after a heavy skirmish and falling back action it became clear that the rock slide could be coming down on Deson. The Tigrans retreated with the fleetness of the cats they held ancestry to, those that tried to help him, he forced to retreat ahead of him. He could feel the hot breath of the enraged Harvester as it came for him, a glance proved this to be his imagination as the Harvester was still struggling to get over the pain of having part of it's face blown off.

The rest of the army though did realize their peril and the arrows which pinned them down only made things worse. Deson ran, clambered, stroke and stabbed for all that he was worth, a rock hit his shoulder, staggering him, but the same armor that was hampering his retreat actually saved him. The impact would have shattered his shoulder, but the heavy plate absorbed most of the impact. Then the larger boulders started to come down, with an effort that was beyond his reckoning, he managed to escape the fringes of the rock slide, forced to dive out of the way of a way ward boulder.

He came to his feet and rushed the last few feet into the line of archers and swordsmen, the twang of bow strings a reassurance to him that he was not left to the very untender mercies of sliding rocks. He sank down to one knee, fingers inspecting the armor on his shoulder, it was actually bent at an upturned angle, restricting his movement,

"Ah horsedung."

He undid the buckles and knots holding his armor in place, shortly the upper armor fell to the ground, leaving him in just his chainmail to protect his torso. He turned to watch the destruction, for now it seemed like he didn't have immediate need for his armor. He breathed deeply and lowered his sword to his side, movement caught his eye,

"Seems like some bugs escaped."
 
Back
Top