MacBook Help please... (>_<)

sybarite_1

Literotica Guru
I am trying to make a clone of my MacBook harddrive onto a Seagate plus 1 TB external drive but I get a message about not being able to unmount...

This problem so belongs in a LIT forum

Cannot unmount...LOL

Ah. My eyes are very tired...I've set the trash to empty cuz well, there were over 4200 items in the trash...:eek:

When I set up mine to work with my Time Machine, I needed to download extra drives onto the external drive - I found them at the website info that came with the HD. if you've already set it up to work with a mac and it still isn't working, I'd take it to the apple store and let them do it.

there's no reason to clone it. Just copy the files you wish to keep. Is the seagate partitioned as a mac os partition or ntfs? It won't write to it if it's ntfs and the default partition is ntfs. You can re partition it through mac disk utility found in the applications>utilities folder>disk utility.

I'm still using 10.6.8 and to create a clone , with all the software, files and preferences kept intact and saved as a bootable external disk, then you may need you a separate bit of software: I use Carbon Copy Cloner which is pretty good. So far as I know Apple themselves discourage people from cloning because it means you can duplicate all the original software - licences included.

If the external disk has PC software such as "anything.exe" and you don't intend to use it witha PC, then use Utilities/Disk Uilities to erase those files and format the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) when prompted.

TAlldude is right for simply copying files across, but a full-on working clone version is slightly more complicated but quite do-able.

E&EO

I'm still using 10.6.8 and to create a clone , with all the software, files and preferences kept intact and saved as a bootable external disk, then you may need you a separate bit of software: I use Carbon Copy Cloner which is pretty good. So far as I know Apple themselves discourage people from cloning because it means you can duplicate all the original software - licences included.

If the external disk has PC software such as "anything.exe" and you don't intend to use it witha PC, then use Utilities/Disk Uilities to erase those files and format the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) when prompted.

TAlldude is right for simply copying files across, but a full-on working clone version is slightly more complicated but quite do-able.

E&EO
I get the cannot unmount error when I try to format as you suggested. Yes I erased the hard drive first. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to phone Seagate people...

Last edited:
Buy a PC. :rolleyes:

Yup.

The rotten apple is just a way to pay more and get less.

But the design is sleek, and it seems easy..... until the moment you decide to do something in another way than The Cult of Steve considered to be the best for you.

Yup.

The rotten apple is just a way to pay more and get less.

But the design is sleek, and it seems easy..... until the moment you decide to do something in another way than The Cult of Steve considered to be the best for you.

And even though the Mac OS has been converted to run on an Intel CPU and my computer could run the OS, it would be so, too, expensive to do that, as the Mac OS expects specific devices, not just any device.

It expects a certain make of Keyboard, Mouse, Disk Drive, Video Card, Memory, etc. limiting my choices and raising the costs.

yup
PC v Mac :rolleyes:
...doesn't fix her troublesome external drive guys

It might not be her system, but the disk itself. In he past year I have brought 4 1TB hard drives for various reasons. All but one came pre-formatted as a NTFS drives. The last one I purchased was clean and unformatted.

could google
mac unmount failed

just a thought...

There is almost never a computer issue that someone else has not already had and written up a solution for

Use the Disk Utility app to (1) erase and (2) partition the drive. One partition. Disk Utiloty is in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder. Or use Spotlight (command key and the space bar pressed together) and type in Disk Utility. It will auto complete after the scpnd or third character. Click on the Disk Utilty icon I the list that is created.

Use the Disk Utility app to (1) erase and (2) partition the drive. One partition. Disk Utiloty is in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder. Or use Spotlight (command key and the space bar pressed together) and type in Disk Utility. It will auto complete after the scpnd or third character. Click on the Disk Utilty icon I the list that is created.

Wow, seems your Mac keyboard is a little out of wack.

Back