The Lady of Skye (closed)

"I'm sure that he is very happy to have his entire family home." Kitty said with a smile as the old guard came to greet them. "And it does me a world of good to see you again, Johnathon."
 
"Your father's close to forcing me to retire, so it's fairly lucky I'm here at all," the older man chuckled, welcoming the family to follow him and his men. Portree wasn't too far, and it was just as Kitty always remembered it save a couple new buildings and new or older faces here and there. Older folk paused in surprise to see Kitty returning, and it wasn't long before some who knew her from her youth were calling out greetings to her and her children. The keep still stood high on the hill above the town and the banners still waved in the breeze and welcomed her home. Two of the guardsmen rode ahead and by the time the family reached the courtyard, Martin and Lucina were standing in the doorway. Martin was leaning on a cane but he looked healthy and Lucina looked as strong as ever at his side.

Tamblin drew his horse and Thistle to a halt, helping Ashien down so he could hurry to greet his grandparents, and Ghell did the same for the other children who needed help down from the wagon, before he carefully scooped Kitty up and set her on her feet beside the wagon.
 
It seemed that the children couldn't make it to their grandparents fast enough. Boar was the first to reach Martin, hugging his grandfather tightly before his brothers and sisters did the same. They were so excited to be there in Skye with the people that they loved the most.

After Ghell had helped her down from the carriage, Kitty stood there and smiled at the scene. She glanced over towards Tamblin as he painfully climbed down from the saddle of his horse.

"No one expects anything of you here, love. Just relax." She said softly to him.
 
Tamblin looked to Kitty at that, his entire being simply tired and defeated. He hadn't spoken to Kitty since their confrontation, but he'd quietly remained at her side regardless of everything. His shoulders slumped a small bit when Kitty spoke to him, and he looked forward to see Martin and Lucina approaching once they'd greeted each child and Ghell.

Both of her parents wrapped Kitty up in a hug between them, Martin kissing her cheek before laying his head against hers. "I didn't dare to hope you'd actually make it," he whispered, trying to hold back tears that wanted to rush forth.
 
"I refused to go any longer without seeing the two of you and Skye." Kitty murmured back, hugging her father tightly as he nearly cried at seeing her back home. "And Mat refused to let me say no. He would bring me back come hell or high water."
 
"Good. We'll send him next time we want you home again," Martin smiled down at her before his gaze turned to Tamblin, who was quietly standing alone beside the wagon, trying to avoid Kitty's parents' notice. He didn't want to face them, but Martin wasn't about to give him a choice.

"Tamblin Ghis," Martin murmured, stepping away from Kitty to face the taller and broader man. Even if Tamblin was in the range of three times Martin's size when it came to muscle, the way he drew back made Martin definitely look like the stronger of the two.

"Martin..." Tamblin muttered almost inaudibly.

"I believe you and I have some things to talk about, my friend," Martin sighed, leaning on his cane. "But you don't have to be afraid. You're family. As long as my little girl stands beside you, you're welcome here." He stepped forward to embrace the larger man with one arm, and Tamblin stiffened but managed to slowly return the gesture. He didn't have a moment to recover before Lucina welcomed him with a proper embrace, and Kitty caught a look from Tamblin that was just pure confusion.
 
Her parents would never know the depth of her husband's abuse, but she was sure that they knew things were not good in Inverness. The children would show them that in the way that they acted. However, they also knew that because he was her husband, she expected him to be treated in a decent way. Matthias and her father would have their chance to talk to him, which was their right.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I am starving. I want some of those delicious Skye cakes." Kitty said, glancing towards the children with a small smile. "How about it? Shall we see if the kitchen has any ready?"
 
"The cooks have been making everything under the sun in preparation for you all to arrive," Martin told them with a chuckle at the littlest ones' excited faces. "We'll have your things moved inside while we sit down to tea." He welcomed them all to follow him and Lucina, keeping Kitty close especially while Tamblin followed quietly at the back of the pack behind Matthias.
 
Kayla's earlier bad mood was forgotten as she raced Ashien into the dining hall, her eyes wide at the wonders that the cook had made for them all. Boar was nearly as excited as his younger siblings and he insisted that Martin sit next to him as they ate. Things were still tense between Kitty and Tamblin, but they sat next to one another in silence, not letting their problems cast a cloud over the happy gathering.
 
Tamblin kept himself entirely contained and neutral as the children opened up and enjoyed being back at one of their favorite places in the world, and he didn't bother any of them, only occasionally speaking to Lucina or Martin when asked a question. Even Durban seemed to loosen up a bit, seeing his father was letting them all just be themselves with their grandparents.
 
The children each opened up, becoming lively and vocal. The great hall was filled with the sounds of a happy little family, just as Inverness should have been but never was because of Oliver. No one had any fear there in Skye. Kitty felt a weight lift off her shoulders and she could breathe a little easier. Perhaps it would be best if she stayed there, got better, and never thought about Inverness again. She knew that it was just a dream, but one that could happen if she only said the words.
 
After the long journey, several of the children were tired and Martin let those who wanted to, go off and have a nap while Lucina took the others to explore for a while. Martin wanted the chance to speak to Kitty alone, and Tamblin found himself pulled away by Matthias. Not for anything serious, but Matthias offered Tamblin something to do rather than sit alone and feel out of place and be embroiled in whatever thoughts plagued him.

Settling in the library with his daughter, Martin took a seat in an old armchair and looked to Kitty. "So you managed to convince him to come. He hasn't been here since... since you two married. More than a decade."
 
"He didn't have a choice." Kitty said softly as she settled onto one of the soft padded chairs next to her father. "Matthias insisted. He wants me to stay in Skye for a while."
 
"I only hope he'll stay around too... as much as I don't trust Tamblin... I want him to get better, like you do. Despite everything, I just want him to not be miserable forever, and then maybe that will help you and the children be a little happier."
 
"I wish he would grant me a divorce." Kitty admitted to her father. "I still care for him and I always will, but we are two very different people now. I believe that with someone else, he might have the chance to be happy."
 
"I don't know if he'd allow himself to find someone else... He'd probably be too afraid it'd end the same way. I think you would both be better separated, but... I'm afraid he's the only one with the power to do that legally." Martin had looked into it before, but Tamblin being an independent Clan King whose marriage was guarded by the Catholic Church (even though he was Lunasian), he was much more powerful than Martin. Perhaps the only person who might be able to annul the marriage was Brian, but not without Tamblin's consent.
 
"Pa, I know that this has bothered you since I married him. You wanted me to have a good marriage, and it was for a while. He is still someone that I care for deeply. He's the father of my children. I don't want you to blame yourself for anything." Kitty said softly, reaching over to take his hand and squeeze it tightly.
 
"I just wish I'd listened to my gut feeling and said no when you two came to me and he asked for your hand properly with your permission... You might've hated me for a while, but it would've been worth it. I couldn't say no, though..." While Kitty and Tamblin had been arranged early in Kitty's life by Old Tamblin, they had taken the time to learn more about each other after Tamblin took over Inverness, and Tamblin had only made their betrothal official with Kitty's consent and Martin's blessing. It had seemed back then that it would work out if Tamblin had made Kitty and Martin's opinions a priority, but things had just... fallen apart, when Tamblin had lost his mind in prison, egged on by a spymaster who saw his chance.
 
"I thought I would have what you and Ma have. I learned a long time ago that wishing something would happen is not the same as actually having it." She murmured softly, letting him see some of the wounds that she carried on her soul. "I regret what has happened to the children most of all. They never asked for this."
 
"Neither did you, my love. Neither did anyone. And as much as I want to blame Tamblin for it all... I know there are some other circumstances that... well, ruined him." Martin had long since learned of Oliver, but he'd never dared try to fight the man. There was too much at stake, too many people within a knife's thrust away from Oliver that Martin cared for. They were all locked in his web.

"I can only hope... that the time here does everyone some good." Martin gave her hand a squeeze in return. "Especially you."
 
"I intend to enjoy it al, Pa. I'm going to explore and get my strength back. Skye will make me happy again." Kitty promised her father, knowing that she would never be whole again without Valentina and Vincenzo.
 
Martin looked at Kitty for a long moment, worry clearly etched in his features as he knew Kitty would continue to struggle. He could only draw her into his lap and wrap her up in a tight embrace with a long sigh.
 
"I missed you." Kitty whispered as her father pulled her into his lap and held her tightly as if she were a child. "I've thought about you every single day since we last saw each other. I had hoped that I could have come back sooner but fate seems to be testing me every single step of the way."
 
"It seems to be testing everyone... but at the very least, your mother and I have had a little respite thanks to your brother... And we will certainly have it easier when he takes over." Martin sighed at that thought. If not for his health, he wouldn't have even considered stepping down. But his son could do a better job at this point, with Martin and Lucina as advisors.
 
"I wish I had my freedom." Kitty whispered against his ear. "There is someone else who holds my heart. I pray every single day that I will get to see him again. If I hope hard enough, it might happen."

She had never once mentioned her affair to her parents. It might break her mother's heart, but she knew that she could always trust her father. He had encouraged her to tell him her secrets, to trust him with all those little things that no one else would ever know.

"And there's another baby. Tamblin allowed her to live, but I miss her every single day." She murmured, pressing her forehead against her father's cheek.
 
Back
Top