J.J. Abrams to direct new Star Wars movies.

JinSun

dame un beso
Yes! I am overly psyched! Although I'm not sure how my Star Trek side of me is doing, as he is directing that as well. It's getting messy in there. Anyway, he did a great job with the first Star Trek, plus all his TV shows, so I am prepared to say that this movie will for sure best I, II, and III.

Thank you for your opinion on old news. We care.

Yes! I am overly psyched! Although I'm not sure how my Star Trek side of me is doing, as he is directing that as well. It's getting messy in there. Anyway, he did a great job with the first Star Trek, plus all his TV shows, so I am prepared to say that this movie will for sure best I, II, and III.

take a seat...

somebody will be here soon to harvest you

I am excited over this choice, but it won't be hard to top Episode 1,2 or 3.

II and III aren't half as bad as they get credit for being and Jar Jar aside neither is I.

II and III aren't half as bad as they get credit for being and Jar Jar aside neither is I.

Right they aren't terrible, except for Jar Jar (which ironically has the same initials as Abrams), but these will for sure be better. I also heard that spin-off stories might be made. But that's just rumor.

I recently watched the first movie and was surprised at the dialogue. One cliche after another.
Of course, the whole movie is a series of cliches. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much when it first came out.
Speaking of when it first came out, anyone ever notice how much the theme song sounds like "Love is the Answer," a disco song that came out a few years earlier?

They're decent movies if you've never seen Episodes 4-6.

And those are only good because people watch them with full on nostalgia googles. Which doesn't change that these new films should at worst be decent. JJ if nothing else can churn out watchable popcorn flicks. Will you remember anything about it in a few years? Nope. But you won't leave the theater angry either. As I understand Disney plans to churn one of these out every two to three years and especially if they use animation there are tons of great Star Wars stories to be told.

The biggest hurdle that I see is finding a way to officially divorce Star Wars from the Skywalkers which if they insist upon live action movies has to happen sooner or later or things will get goofy.

And those are only good because people watch them with full on nostalgia googles. Which doesn't change that these new films should at worst be decent. JJ if nothing else can churn out watchable popcorn flicks. Will you remember anything about it in a few years? Nope. But you won't leave the theater angry either. As I understand Disney plans to churn one of these out every two to three years and especially if they use animation there are tons of great Star Wars stories to be told.

The biggest hurdle that I see is finding a way to officially divorce Star Wars from the Skywalkers which if they insist upon live action movies has to happen sooner or later or things will get goofy.

I disagree.

I think if you found someone who knew nothing of Star Wars and let them watch Episodes 4-6 they would be impressed.

I heard Disney will do Episodes 7-9 plus a Han Solo movie, plus a Boba Fett movie.

Good point. All great movie series pass the story onto the next generation.

I disagree.

I think if you found someone who knew nothing of Star Wars and let them watch Episodes 4-6 they would be impressed.

I heard Disney will do Episodes 7-9 plus a Han Solo movie, plus a Boba Fett movie.

I don't disagree, however I think much like Rocky movies which ones are better are directly related to the order you watch them in. I bet you if you find some kid who knew nothing of Star Wars and you let them watch the movies in chronological order they'll wonder about these geriatric jedi who apparently didn't study shit about combat.

I heard the same as you plus that they have plans for every two to three years but the five you mention has them out twelve years if they hit every two years starting in 2015. The Han Solo movie kinda scares me. I can't see that going well. Honestly Boba Fett's movie is gonna suck too. He's a bit player who everybody loves but very little was established about him in the movies.

I don't disagree, however I think much like Rocky movies which ones are better are directly related to the order you watch them in. I bet you if you find some kid who knew nothing of Star Wars and you let them watch the movies in chronological order they'll wonder about these geriatric jedi who apparently didn't study shit about combat.

I heard the same as you plus that they have plans for every two to three years but the five you mention has them out twelve years if they hit every two years starting in 2015. The Han Solo movie kinda scares me. I can't see that going well. Honestly Boba Fett's movie is gonna suck too. He's a bit player who everybody loves but very little was established about him in the movies.

I'm going to stay positive. Disney has done well by Marvel. It's in their best interest to make these movies memorable.

Disney has done well by Marvel but honestly how much of Thor or Ironman 2 do you really remember? Do you quote any of the movies or see references to them made? I'm guessing not. They are perfectly fine movies as things go.

I hope I'm wrong about my predictions on Han and Boba's movies. Han's movie is almost sure to be some kind of prequel and will (like episodes 1-3) answer a lot of questions that nobody is asking like what exactly was the nature of his relationship with Jabba or how he and Lando met. Boba is likely to have similar issues. Which isn't to say that they have to be bad. The Star Wars verse is vast and honestly there is no reason to make poor movies.

I'm kind of waiting for Disney to start reviving some of the other properties that came with Lucas Arts. I'd be shocked not to see Willow emerge in the next few years. Probably right after the Hobbit gets out of the way and even if it's only a video game or cartoon leaving Indy down can't be part of the long term plans.

Disney has done well by Marvel but honestly how much of Thor or Ironman 2 do you really remember? Do you quote any of the movies or see references to them made? I'm guessing not. They are perfectly fine movies as things go.

I hope I'm wrong about my predictions on Han and Boba's movies. Han's movie is almost sure to be some kind of prequel and will (like episodes 1-3) answer a lot of questions that nobody is asking like what exactly was the nature of his relationship with Jabba or how he and Lando met. Boba is likely to have similar issues. Which isn't to say that they have to be bad. The Star Wars verse is vast and honestly there is no reason to make poor movies.

I'm kind of waiting for Disney to start reviving some of the other properties that came with Lucas Arts. I'd be shocked not to see Willow emerge in the next few years. Probably right after the Hobbit gets out of the way and even if it's only a video game or cartoon leaving Indy down can't be part of the long term plans.

Maybe my friends are just bigger nerds than yours are. The problem with quoting the Marvel movies is that the quotes actually come from the comics. Don't tell me you can't think of a time you were pissed at a buddy and could have used, "_______, I would have words with thee!"

Actually I don't think Disney gives a crap about what's in the movie one way or another. Hobbit fans went to see the Hobbit based only on the fact that it was, the Hobbit. People will go to movies just because, especially if it is something that tugs at our sentimental side. The Avengers made the most money in 2012 at 888.4 million dollars to date. Yes, no one remembers any quotes from the movies, and we'll all probably forget it even exists in a year or two, but Disney doesn't care, because it just topped the charts yet again. So the Star Wars movies won't be great, but they don't care, because they'll be raking in the dough.

Actually I don't think Disney gives a crap about what's in the movie one way or another. Hobbit fans went to see the Hobbit based only on the fact that it was, the Hobbit. People will go to movies just because, especially if it is something that tugs at our sentimental side. The Avengers made the most money in 2012 at 888.4 million dollars to date. Yes, no one remembers any quotes from the movies, and we'll all probably forget it even exists in a year or two, but Disney doesn't care, because it just topped the charts yet again. So the Star Wars movies won't be great, but they don't care, because they'll be raking in the dough.

Off the top of my head I remember Cap saying "Hulk, smash."

I'm hoping to see the Solo/Skywalker kids grow up, do some pod racing and then for one to be Jedi and the other Sith. That would be original.

add in some Avatar grade graphics an overtly moralistic script and perhaps Justin Bieber as the new Young Jedi and we've got a hit.

*nerdgasm*

Maybe my friends are just bigger nerds than yours are. The problem with quoting the Marvel movies is that the quotes actually come from the comics. Don't tell me you can't think of a time you were pissed at a buddy and could have used, "_______, I would have words with thee!"

It is possible that your friends are bigger nerds than mine. I probably have used that quote at least once. None of which changes that the difference between say Captain America and Lord of the Rings is that one day people who've never even heard of Lord of the Rings will shout "THOU SHALL NOT PASS!" the same way people can quote that speech from the end of Casablanca or "I'll be back" will survive long past the end of the Terminator franchise.

I could be wrong, and I might be using the wrong words here. I'm not expecting poor movies overall. Anyway hopefully I'm dead wrong.

I'm hoping to see the Solo/Skywalker kids grow up, do some pod racing and then for one to be Jedi and the other Sith. That would be original.

add in some Avatar grade graphics an overtly moralistic script and perhaps Justin Bieber as the new Young Jedi and we've got a hit.

*nerdgasm*

I was following along nodding until you said Beiber. Besides, you can't use overly famous people in movies or it distracts from the plot. The whole time you're thinking about the latest scandal about them in the news or something like that.

Dude people remember entire conversations from that film. Just because it didn't produce any usable quotes isn't really fair in this particular case. How many times is someone going to walk up and ask you what are you without your suit of armor so you can reply: A genius, billionaire, playboy? Or "I'm bringing the party to you?" I guess it's not difficult to work "I'm always angry" in.

Back