Question about story views/hits.

Excalibur541

Experienced
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Posts
34
I have a story on literotica that has 26,000 views/hits now. However it's four webpages long. I was wondering if the view count gets incremented as each webpage is clicked or just the first webpage.

The reason I ask is the count got to 26,000 quicker than normal.
 
Excalibur541 said:
I have a story on literotica that has 26,000 views/hits now. However it's four webpages long. I was wondering if the view count gets incremented as each webpage is clicked or just the first webpage.

The reason I ask is the count got to 26,000 quicker than normal.


Yes. each page counts as a hit.

so - 26000/4=6500 maximum full reads.

But all the people who just clicked the first and last only count as two, and the people who read page one and didn't read on ...

So probably around 8000 people opened the story.
 
I always thought they should stop dividing stories up into pages and just list the whole thing on one page (like most sites do.)
 
Are you sure about each page counting - that does not seem to make sense when I look at my stats.

One of my stories was split into twelve parts and the view count (taken over the last few months when thay had been up for ages to ignore any differance for the time on the new stories page) was similar for all the later chapters although some were 2 Lit pages but one was 4 Lit pages.
 
irxgbr said:
Are you sure about each page counting - that does not seem to make sense when I look at my stats.

One of my stories was split into twelve parts and the view count (taken over the last few months when thay had been up for ages to ignore any differance for the time on the new stories page) was similar for all the later chapters although some were 2 Lit pages but one was 4 Lit pages.

Heck, I'm not sure either, but it could be possible that more people read all the way through the shorter chapters than do the longer one. Some people will get to the bottom of the page and say, "Twelve pages? I ain't got time to read this right now!" and back click. That could potentially balance out the views.
 
Just done some more analysis, accountant in me is more dominant than any writing skills.

looked at my first story series over 60 days when it has been up for several months:
Lit Pages Reads
4 2194
2 597
3 471
2 463
2 445
3 416
2 408
2 444
2 453
3 412
2 453
4 498

This says to me that a lot lost interest after reading chapter one (It is in the ‘top listings’ for loving wifes so would expect some hits). I lost a few more with chapter two but from than on pretty consistent with the hits being recorded on page one only.

Not conclusive but I see no correlation between number of Lit pages
 
The day your story comes out can have a big effect on your views as well, and the day of the week isn't always the key. If you're in today's New list at the right time, when lots of people are online, you'll get a heckuva lot more reads. I have parts in the middle of a story with double the views of the parts surrounding it because of this.

Example:
Story rating votes reads
Danica 10 4.81 16 1498
Danica 11 4.88 17 1049
Danica 12 4.82 17 1552
Danica 13 4.88 17 973
Danica 14 4.75 20 1850
Danica 15 4.89 18 1000

What that does is make it nearly impossible to calculate what represents a view just based upon the information in your hands as an author.
 
Last edited:
I agree that time, position, others in your catagory etc when on the "New" page makes an enormous differance.

That is why my figures above are for an old submission well away from this influence - as I say my accountancy has me interested in figures and I record my number of views for each story in a spreadsheet - SAD or what.

As I said above there seems to be a good fit to the asumption that they record hits on page one. I cannot see anything that indicates that it is on each page.
 
I read somewhere on the site - and recently (although I cannot find it right now to link) that every page counts as a Hit.

I will look for it sooner or later, It's hidden somewhere in the resources, or on the board in a post by Laurel. I can't remember. I was searching for something else when I found it - but I cannot remember what or where.

I cannot account for the reads/views on stories - I thought originally it counted Unique views of each page - but sometimes that doesn't work. If it updated instantly, I could tell you in an hour, but it only updates a few times a day - So I cannot prove it.

The easiest way to learn for certain - would be to go to a story which NEVER gets a hit, write down the count and open it. Wait a day and get the count again. Then open 2 pages and wait a day to see what the count does - you may have to open it using a different IP address though.

Sound fun? Is it this important? :emoticon:
 
Back
Top