Axe To Grind

J

JAMESBJOHNSON

AXE TO GRIND is an old expression.

In modern times the expression is the label for sinister folks with chips on their shoulders wanting justification to be violent or punitive. But in the Old Days it referred to folks who used social occasions for utilitarian outcomes, like sharpening dull axes. That is, manipulate others for free services.

Its a bitch to be bored, aint it?

Let me be clear, I don't get in the gladiator arena with toothless geezers in scoot around carts.

Yeah, you'd see it that way. The only problem is i remember my grandfather using it as it is used now way back in the early to mid fifties. So how far back are you talking and where is your documentation?

Otherwise this is just another look at me post on your part.

Yeah, you'd see it that way. The only problem is i remember my grandfather using it as it is used now way back in the early to mid fifties. So how far back are you talking and where is your documentation?

Otherwise this is just another look at me post on your part.

Google is your friend. I'm not.

But if you could think you'd fall over the insight that sharpening an axe isn't exactly a harbinger of doom. I sharpened a chain saw blade the other day, AUGGGGGGHHHH.

JBJ, I love the way you make pronouncements about how we all think and talk "nowadays". Oh mighty Guru, please tell us how we all talk and think. I don't think of violence and mayhem at all when someone uses the phrase "ax to grind" According to my dictionary, it means and has always meant, "to have an ulterior or hidden motive."

What sky or butt do you pull this stuff from?

But either spelling is okay, which demonstrates how clueless you are.

Not in publishing (of which you continue to demonstrate that you are clueless), which uses the first-listed version for consistency sake. As I noted, "axe" doesn't even have it's own listing in the dictionary most publishers use.

Okay, that is the last thing I expected to read this morning. I've seen "ax" used before, but not very often, and always took it as a bastardization of the word.

Looking it up and seeing it as the accepted U.S. spelling just blew my mind. As SR said, "axe" isn't even listed as an alternative in the couple of places I looked. It has its own separate entry as the UK spelling.

Maybe it's a peculiarity of fantasy novels to use the UK spelling? Considering the overwhelming percentage of those that dominate my reading and the higher odds of the word appearing at all, that could be it.

May have to dig up some books where I know one of the MCs is an axe-wielder and see if it's actually spelled that way, or whether my brain just translated it into what I expected to see.

Half a dozen novels, and every one of them uses "axe" as the spelling.

Looks like fantasy publishers prefer that as the the standard, which explains my WTF?! moment.

Half a dozen novels, and every one of them uses "axe" as the spelling.

Looks like fantasy publishers prefer that as the the standard, which explains my WTF?! moment.

Doesn't really surprise me. Publishers and categories of publishers have their individual quirks. The ax-wielding genre is probably just a couple of steps up from computer manuals. Bet they publish in Arial font too.

Back