Anyone out there actually get off on their own stories?

No.

Many of my stories are written for fantasies I don't share.

Those that are to my taste - I might get excited by the initial idea, but by the time I'm writing and editing, that sensation has long gone.

What does excite me is completing and submitting a story that I enjoyed writing. Some of them flow easily and quickly; some are hard work to write and edit. But the popularity or appeal of the posted story doesn't match how easily or not it was in the writing.

Some stories that I thought were great, flop. Some I though were routine and potentially boring seem popular. I just can't assess the quality or otherwise of my own stories. Anon certainly can't. :rolleyes:
 
My forte is humor. I write little of it here but elsewhere I always know when its good.
 
I've seen a couple of stories where the author lost attention to detail as the action heated up. I suppose the erotica corollary to "Write drunk, revise sober" (often misattributed to Hemingway) is "Write erect, revise flaccid," or perhaps a more universal "Write hot, revise cool."
 
The imagining steps of my sex scenes can be arousing, but during the actual writing, it becomes a much more clinical, cool-headed task.
 
Last edited:
I'll never forget the time a college lit teacher said, with scorn, something to the effect that Hemingway writes with his penis. Everyone laughed and seemed to dismiss him based on that. It's only later in life that I realized: what the hell is wrong with that?

I do get off on my stories (writing and reading them). They are so blatantly and shamelessly "written with my penis" that my wife is left with an almost insurmountable editing job with each new story.

I don't hear it much anymore, but there used to be an expression when if something was good for you or increased your sexual abilities, they'd say, "It puts lead in your pencil."

A little tip from your Uncle rj, though. Don't try typing that way.

rj
 
...there used to be an expression when if something was good for you or increased your sexual abilities, they'd say, "It puts lead in your pencil."
Then there was the constipated mathematician who worked it out with a pencil.

[rimshot]

ObTopic: If I'm not aroused by my tales, why should I expect anyone else to be?
 
Yes, and no.

Arousal is part of the process for me. I enjoy trying to put that sense of arousal into my stories.

Once the story is done, I won't read it with arousal in mind.

But when I re-read something I've written a while ago, I do find myself aroused. It's the distance between the creation and the re-reading that makes it fresh again, as if it's somebody else telling the story and not me.
 
But when I re-read something I've written a while ago, I do find myself aroused. It's the distance between the creation and the re-reading that makes it fresh again, as if it's somebody else telling the story and not me.

Yeah, I'd agree with this for myself too, actually.
 
My attitude is...whether I am actually in the process of writing a one-off story or a new chapter for a series, or re-reading them months or years later...if it doesn't give me a bone, make me happily smile, or make me cry, then I missed somewhere.

To me, being an author is all about creating some type of emotional response with the readers and that does include creating a case of the hornies. And I am my main test subject. :D
 
My attitude is...whether I am actually in the process of writing a one-off story or a new chapter for a series, or re-reading them months or years later...if it doesn't give me a bone, make me happily smile, or make me cry, then I missed somewhere.

To me, being an author is all about creating some type of emotional response with the readers and that does include creating a case of the hornies. And I am my main test subject. :D

I second this. Well stated! If it doesn't put the wowzers in MY trousers, that doesn't mean it won't for someone else, but I find it very tricky to write erotica for an audience I don't belong in. For better or worse, I write with the notion that "If you write it, they will cum...er, come." :)
 
Last edited:
If it doesn't put the wowzers in MY trousers, that doesn't mean it won't for someone else,

"Wowzers in my trousers?" Haven't heard that one before. But I like it, particularly if you say it like Elmer Fudd.

But I get what you're saying. The concept of creating something that doesn't appeal to me for the sole purpose of appealing to somebody else is quite foreign to me. I suppose I could cook broccoli for somebody who likes broccoli, even though I detest it myself, but at least I would share that person's enjoyment in the dish when I served it. If I were a chef, though, and just sent it out to the dining room, I don't think I'd have that satisfaction. I'd be like the gal who flips McDonald's hamburgers all day but prefers real food when she comes home. In that case, the only reward would be monetary, and I don't write erotica for money. If I did, that would be different.
 
Yes.

I don't consider myself an imaginative enough writer to come up with general stories that will move people, so my only submitted stories are my own personal fantasies. My purposes in writing them down are to create a permanent record so I can recall them in the future and to provide enjoyment to a few like-minded readers.

If I can successfully gloss over the problem spots I would want to re-write, I usually find that rereading that fantasy is quite arousing again.

- curl
 
"Wowzers in my trousers?" Haven't heard that one before. But I like it, particularly if you say it like Elmer Fudd.

I can't take credit for coming up with it, but I did try the Elmer Fudd approach with his giggle at the end and I found it amusing :)

In that case, the only reward would be monetary, and I don't write erotica for money. If I did, that would be different.

If I wrote for money, I'd be bored to death. Writing what others want ends up being more like a college final than fun. I've tried writing Sci-Fi, but I ended up putting too much 'romance' in it because that made it fun for me. This is why I chose to just write stuff that floats my boat and whatever I write around that is filler, not the main thrust :D

My purposes in writing them down are to create a permanent record so I can recall them in the future and to provide enjoyment to a few like-minded readers.

If I can successfully gloss over the problem spots I would want to re-write, I usually find that rereading that fantasy is quite arousing again.

Exactly this! The more I'm able to refine a story, the better the picture is in my head. And as we all know...the best sex happens between the ears ;)
 
I've already commented on this thread, but it occurred to me the last few days as another kernel of an idea started to shape itself into a story plot in my head, that while I don't "get off", I do get somewhat turned on by the process of thinking about a story before it makes its way onto my laptop.
 
Well for starters, I only write naked and I am the only one who touches my key board, lol. My favorite stories can harden me, even after the tenth time. I strive to write them that way and judge stories I read on Lit. the same way. If it doesn't make me hard, it doesn't score. (this doesn't apply to stories that don't turn me on because of content, (incest, for example leaves me cold), then I rate the writing, but if the subject is one that turns me on and the writing doesn't, I judge it a failure. I think I can tell what WOULD turn me on if I were into that, by the way it is written. I hope that made sense.
 
I think it would be difficult for any Literotica author to write a story that was of no interest to them, either sexually or non-sexually.

For example, I dislike BDSM and fat fetish stories so therefore would never write a story about a New York businessman who has normal, missionary-position sex with his slim, conservative, patrician wife; but secretly enjoys seeing his 350 pound mistress who along with her equally large friend indulge his tastes for BDSM, such as the two women chaining him up on a leash and making him eat dog food out of a bowl on the floor.
 
I think it would be difficult for any Literotica author to write a story that was of no interest to them, either sexually or non-sexually.

For example, I dislike BDSM and fat fetish stories so therefore would never write a story about a New York businessman who has normal, missionary-position sex with his slim, conservative, patrician wife; but secretly enjoys seeing his 350 pound mistress who along with her equally large friend indulge his tastes for BDSM, such as the two women chaining him up on a leash and making him eat dog food out of a bowl on the floor.

I'm sure you're not projecting...
 
Back
Top