The Truth About The Darkness (Closed)

Livia grabbed the slender bottle from the black wood bar and turned back to her guest, “My mother wanted me brought up as a proper lady from Neraka, with the same traditions I would have experienced there. She wanted to bond our families by betrothing me to you.”


"Really? I had no idea."
his tone conveyed genuine shock.
wanted to bond our families by betrothing me to you.”

the half elf returned to her seat, her leg touching his as she did. “Father on the other hand wanted me to keep to my mother’s roots.” She held the crystal liquor bottle out to fill Dallyn’s glass. “When a young elven maiden reaches a certain age, they receive a vision in a dream of the person that well be her soul mate. Mine wasn’t very clear though.” Once his glass was half full she started filling her own.

“I had taken ill and had a high fever when my vision came to me. I saw a huge wood door, banded with black steel. The edges and down the centre were covered with stone as well as if it had grown there locking it. There was a sudden bright green light and the stone on the door exploded then disappeared in a cloud of dust. The door burst open and a man stepped through, his hood hiding his face…. Then I woke in a cold sweat. The fever broke and father took me to the finest jeweler to create the starburst brooch.”

Livia gave a sigh and set the bottle on the floor beside her feet and took a long sip from her glass. “Mother wanted him to ignore it all and arrange the marriage anyway, saying it wasn't you that I saw.” she giggled softly at the memory, “Every time you father would visit, they would bicker about it for a few days after. Then you actually accompanied your father and my Mother was livid with him. Like I said: you made quite the impression.”



"Well..."
Dallyn was at a loss for words. It was all really unexpected. His father had never said anything about it, and his mother hadn't lived past his infant years. To think that he might have been married to the beautiful woman before him...

He placed the glass down on the table to his left and then reached across his body to rest his hand on her thigh. She'd presented it to him with the slightest of touches and he decided the risk was worth the possible reward. The award that was seemingly inevitable if he read her actions correctly.

"So we know your true love wears a hood."
It was said in jest.
 
Livia could see true shock in Dallyn’s eyes. She smiled to herself. Often she wondered if his father knew of the arrangement her mother had wished to make. She would not put it past her to have confided in the older Sir Ironstrike to put the wheels in motion despite her father’s objection. It appeared she had not, or if she had, Dallyn was not privy to the ploy.

As the charismatic knight suddenly became tongue tied for the first time, Livia smiled and took another sip of her drink. Though he was lost for words, he had not lost any of his tenacity. Livia felt a strong hand gently rest on her thigh. She turned towards the dark knight and found her was even closer than she had thought. His arm was draped over the back of the couch behind her shoulders while her now leaned in towards her.

"So we know your true love wears a hood." It was said in jest.

Livia giggled softly and leaded away for a moment as she placed her glass on the small table at the other end of the couch. “It would seem so….” she returned to the very comfortable proximity to Dallyn. “.... though, so do three quarters of men in this world. How will I narrowed it down to The One?” Her large green eyes met his for a moment before she gently reached up a gentle hand to his strong jawline. Her heart began to race. As of late, Livia had been under a great deal of stress. She was so close making her bid for mayor, then the appearance and treat of a minotaur invasion and the disappearance of all others in power how took the risk seriously as well had had her at her wits end. An attractive dark knight’s appearance as her guest would be a welcome distraction. A new lover might just be what she needed to regain her focus.

The half elf’s voice became softer, almost a whisper. “Many half elven maids don’t receive a vision at all. It probably wasn’t anything more that a dream brought on by a high fever.” Her eyes drifted down to his lips then back up to his eyes. He was so close. The anticipation of what the evening might hold for them.
 
His tongue ran lightly across his upper lip as she leaned over the table to deposit her glass. The angle offered him an ample view of her slender waist and the small of her back, which curved so nicely as to invoke devilish thoughts that were already close to the surface. When she sat back, so close that a he could see the sharp edge of her cheekbones and where the flickering candle flame shimmered in her beautiful eyes, he decided to make his move.

His left hand released the light but firm grip on her though and he traced his index finger down to her knee, where he circled it playfully, his eyes never leaving hers. Just the though of what was coming next stirred a fire in his loins and his pupils expanded nearly a quarter larger than before. His finger then traced up from her knee, and moving from the outside of her thigh to the inside, it continued its smoothly sliding course upward, ever so slowly and deliberately. While his finger dance, the dark knight leaned in closer and he kissed her.

At first his kiss was firm and closed-mouthed. He wanted to taste her lips and he did not come away disappointed. Dally pulled back just a few inches and ran his tongue over his lips to savor her taste. His eyes danced with pleasure and a grin broke his lips. Then his right arm, still around her shoulders, pressed her closer for a deep and passionate kiss. It was one he'd been craving since he met the beautiful young halfbreed.

The Knighthood might have been historically at odds with Elves, but he held no particular hatred for them. Nay, he had naught but great respect for their skill at arms, coordination, courage, and ability to use terrain as effectively as any Talon Commander might use a large fortification. In fact, Elves had decimated a Talon he'd once been assigned to, after he had transferred of course, but that was neither here nor there. This enticing morsel sitting before him might only be half elven, but she had gained all the beauty of her mother. That was not to doubt, and oh how she tasted as sweet as he ever imagined an Elf should.
 
As his lips pressed hers, Livia held her breath. Dallyn’s touch had excited her, leaving her wanting more but his kiss has different. The first kiss of a new lover, in Livia’s experience, set the mood for their relationship. He pressed his lips against hers in a gentle kiss that sent waves of excitement through her body. She felt not only a lust and hunger she had never experienced so intensely but something more. A passion and desire that left her head spinning and her heart pounding so hard she thought that it might beat out of her chest.

Dallyn broke the kiss first and she feared he didn’t share her experience. It was not uncommon for Livia to feel nothing after a first kiss but lead her lover on to get what it was she wanted from them. This didn’t seem to be the case as the dark knight smiled down at her and pulled her closer, leaning in to kiss her with more passion. His hand gently continued up her inner thigh and she could feel the fabric of her gown bunching in her lap as he did.

Livia’s soft hands remained on his strong jaw, then slipped down to the front of his turnic, pulling him in closer. Her soft pink lips parted and her tongue welcomed his as the heat between them built further still. The half elf began to feel light headed, overwhelmed by the passion she felt for him.

Suddenly there was a very loud knock at the door. The loud sound echoed through the room and Livia let out a gasp and broke the kiss. So overwhelmed by the intensity of what she felt, the half elf was no longer thinking rationally. She found herself torn from one emotion to another. She had lived in such intense fear for the last few months that, at any moment, an assassin would take her life, the sudden loud sound brought back these thoughts with the same intensity as the passion she felt moments earlier. Livia let out a soft cry and, still gripping the front of Dallyn’s turnic, pressed her check to his chest, looking for protection from the attack she feared had come.

After a moment, rational thoughts took over again and Livia pushed away with a deep blush. “I… I guess I’m a little jumpy as of late…… I’m sorry.” she said as she reached down, gripping the hand in her lap. Glancing over her shoulder she said with a slight quiver in her voice, “Enter.”

Clod, Livia’s gnome servent entered the doorway with an armload of scrolls. “My deepest apologies for intruding, my Lady, but these arrived from town hall a moment ago. Mayor Toebe has called for a council meeting tomorrow morning after dawn.” With that, Clod gave a bow and said, “I will set these on your desk my Lady, and bring up a pot of tea.” as he turned for the door. “You will need to get through all these tonight.”

Livia gave a sigh as she watched the gnome leave then turned back to her guest. The temptation to leave the scrolls and her duties and just enjoy the dark knight were strong. She leaned back, his arm still draped around her shoulder. With a gently hand, she ran her fingers down the edge of his vest. “I hope you will forgive me for putting duty before pleasure.” Her large green eyes looked up at his. Still her heart pounded as she bit her lower lip, praying to the Gods that she would not offend Dallyn.
 
Livia’s soft hands remained on his strong jaw, then slipped down to the front of his turnic, pulling him in closer. Her soft pink lips parted and her tongue welcomed his as the heat between them built further still. The half elf began to feel light headed, overwhelmed by the passion she felt for him.

He could feel her body soften to his advances and the fires of passion ignited more fully. The hand pressed against the small of her back pressed her ever so closer and he broke the kiss for his lips to dance across her cheek and down the nape of her neck.

Suddenly there was a very loud knock at the door. The loud sound echoed through the room and Livia let out a gasp and broke the kiss. So overwhelmed by the intensity of what she felt, the half elf was no longer thinking rationally. She found herself torn from one emotion to another. She had lived in such intense fear for the last few months that, at any moment, an assassin would take her life, the sudden loud sound brought back these thoughts with the same intensity as the passion she felt moments earlier. Livia let out a soft cry and, still gripping the front of Dallyn’s turnic, pressed her check to his chest, looking for protection from the attack she feared had come.

After a moment, rational thoughts took over again and Livia pushed away with a deep blush. “I… I guess I’m a little jumpy as of late…… I’m sorry.” she said as she reached down, gripping the hand in her lap. Glancing over her shoulder she said with a slight quiver in her voice, “Enter.”



His heart was beating like the drums of the deep. He felt his chest leaping and his staff was filled with the strength of his longing for her sensual secrets. Even as she called out for her servant to enter, he had only eyes for her breasts and the delicate curve of her legs that were revealed from underneath her dress. Dallyn composed himself, though his pupils were like saucers.

Clod, Livia’s gnome servent entered the doorway with an armload of scrolls. “My deepest apologies for intruding, my Lady, but these arrived from town hall a moment ago. Mayor Toebe has called for a council meeting tomorrow morning after dawn.” With that, Clod gave a bow and said, “I will set these on your desk my Lady, and bring up a pot of tea.” as he turned for the door. “You will need to get through all these tonight.”

Livia gave a sigh as she watched the gnome leave then turned back to her guest. The temptation to leave the scrolls and her duties and just enjoy the dark knight were strong. She leaned back, his arm still draped around her shoulder. With a gently hand, she ran her fingers down the edge of his vest. “I hope you will forgive me for putting duty before pleasure.” Her large green eyes looked up at his. Still her heart pounded as she bit her lower lip, praying to the Gods that she would not offend Dallyn.



When the servant had left them - a Gnome of all things - Dallyn turned his attention back to his hostess, though he'd hardly stopped ogling her throughout. His intentions were to devour her. To draw forth every ounce of pleasure he could extract from such an enticing morsel, but that was not to come. Her eyes were like twin orbs of some entrancing fey magic. Green as the forest and no less intense, he could get lost in them. He could get lost in her.


He stared into her eyes for a few moments too long before finally realizing she had spoken to him, and with a shake of his head, Dallyn removed his arm from her waist and straightened in the chair. "Of course, milady. Perhaps you'll see fit to give me leave to entertain you in the future?"


His desire was warring with his attempts to behave properly. His teeth ground and he could not stifle the stiff member in his pants. There was no hiding it, and the gods knew he'd need to handle things himself when he returned to his chamber. Still, he watched her longingly, silently hoping she would change her mind and neglect her duties, if only for a while. Had he been in the right mind, he'd never wish such a thing though. Responsibility and discipline were necessary traits for any man or woman worth a damn. He'd only lose respect for her if she abandoned her work for a dalliance, for he or any other for that matter.
 
Livia gave a heavy sigh as Dallyn pulled away, sitting up straight, instead of wrapped around her in their passion filled embrace. Slowly, reluctantly, the half elf slipped to the edge of the black leather couch. “The night shall be a long one, Sir Ironstrike.” Her gentle hand rested on his knee as she stood. To leave her guest tour at Livia. Far greater than she had ever felt, only comparing the grief she had felt after her parents death. Livia took a deep breath and let it go slowly, rapidly as it slipped from her lips.

Trying to regain some of her composure, Livia reached up and smooth her hair out. She turned to face her guest, smiling down at the knight. Hoping she did not look the fool, or that Dallyn would think of her weak. “I do hope that we might be able to pick up where we left tomorrow evening?” Her hand gently brushed against his as the half elf turned, leaving the room before she gave in to her cravings and bedded the knight right there upon the leather couch.

Slipping from the room and into her office, Livia turned quickly, pressing her back to the mahogany wall as the heavy door to her office closed behind her. Her heart pounded still, and despite her need to see to her duties, she felt such a debilitating sorry she had to fight back tears. A few deep breaths helped her regain a bit of her composure and she walked over to the desk where the small mountain of scrolls lay waiting for her to read.
 
“I do hope that we might be able to pick up where we left tomorrow evening?” Her hand gently brushed against his as the half elf turned, leaving the room before she gave in to her cravings and bedded the knight right there upon the leather couch.


"Of course." He spoke through a bit of a crooked grin. "I'm at your service." Dallyn put on his best impression of a seated bow and his eyes glittered as she retreated to her own room.


The Dark Knight spent some time alone on the couch. His enjoyed the drink she had offered, sipping it slowly and savoring each tongue-tingling taste. He had no other duties for the moment, and his burning desire had no outlet, so why not simply sit back and relax a while? The drink was good, the seat comfortable. The room around him was comforting and well-decorated. The noble life was not something he was much accustomed to since joining the Order, but sitting there on that cushioned couch, looking upon the old man's hunting trophies and banners, Dallyn realized he would be quite happy to retire in such comfort.


His thoughts returned to the attractive half elf and her delicate curves. The softness of her lips and the perfect shape of the small of her back. His arm seemed to have been fashioned for it, so perfectly she had fit. His tongue ran along the length of his upper lips and he tasted her lingering flavor, and it was all he could do to keep from marching down the hallway and obstructing her duties.


Sometime later, after he'd enjoyed the fullest extent of his drink, did he find his bed, and his hand find his still-stiff member. He couldn't sleep until he finished twice.
 
Livia had a hard time focusing on her work. Her mind constantly wondered to the dark knight who, at first lingered in the adjacent room, then above her on the second floor. As she poured through the countless reports on everything from the state of the sew system to the rising cost of lamp oil in the lanterns that let the streets. Countless times she had to reread a paragraph as her mind wondered, wondering what it would be like to press her naked body against him, to feel his strong arms wrap around her and the passion that they would share. As she continued on with her reading, she wondered if she was reading the same scroll over again or it it had been something she had read in the weeks past. Things were familour.

As Livia grabbed the second last scroll, her gentle hands pulled on the red ribbon, marked with the seal of the city of Flotsom and pulled the parchment open. There was a soft scent of lavender and honey as she unrolled it. Curious. Perhaps one of the clerks in the mayor's office had taken to wearing perfume again. There was a light dusting of powered and Livia brushed it from the parchment with a bit of annoyance. Such things were common for suitors to include in a letter to their lovers but not on official documents. She would have to talk to the head of staff about this fas paux.

As she toiled through the document that questioned the necessity of maintaining the north inner city wall when there was already a northern outer city wall constructed when she began to yawn. The chimes of the bell tower down by the harbor chimed once. It was an hour past midnight, and the next day would be a grooling one.

Livia blew out all but one of the candles in her office and carried the only remaining light up the stairs. She found that she had to pause on the stairs just before the third floor and rest, yawning uncontrollably. She slipped passed her guests door and considered, for a moment, slipping into his room and joining him in his soft, warm bed. Still she continued on, past the wards on the stairwell to her bed chamber on the fourth floor.

The half elf paused again at the top of her stairs, leaning heavily against the doorframe. She had never felt so tired. It was truly a long day, and the heat was known to affect people in such ways but Livia wondered how she had become so tired. Her slender fingers fumbled with the ties that held her dress about her hips. The cream coloured fabric slipped from her body and pooled on the floor where it fell. Livia continued stumbling to her bed. She half heartedly grabbed a black silk bed gown that had been set out for her, fumbling with the garment but finally slipping it over her head. Pulling back the soft green covers from her bed, Livia half crawled into bed, half fell. She was asleep before her head hit the pillow.

2 hours, or so, later a rope snakes its way up to the back balcony of the third floor. As it reaches its destination from the back small back yard where the one who brought the object to life stood watching. It wrapped itself around the railing, its tail tying itself into a knot before going limp, the life disappearing from the silk fibers as the spell that brought it to life was dropped.

A few moments later, a slender figure with curves that could only belong to a woman reached over the rail and propelled herself over the rail, landing lightly on her feet without a sound. After a moment she reached over the rail and assisted another over the rail. The second figure was wrapped heavily in dark robes that rustled slightly as they moved away from the edge. A huge hand landed on the railing next and the hulking form of a Minotaur pulled himself onto the balcony beside his partners in crime, surprisingly silently for his size.

The trio gave each other a knowing look then the agile woman silently stepped to the doors that lead to the bedchambers that had once been Livia’s as a child. She dropped to her knees and reached to her thigh, producing a small handful of picks, making short work of the lock of on the french door. After a moment the swung open on well oiled hinges. Before she lead her companions into the building, the lock pick turned to the others, whispering, “Remember, he wants her alive…” her gaze drifted up to the Minotaur, “unharmed….” then turned to the robed figure, “And untouched.” They shifted as if unhappy, both being reminded of the rules laid down and the fact that neither were happy about not getting the same pleasure they had partaken in in the past.

They were silent as they walked across the sitting room, past it’s white furniture with it’s red velvet cushions. The next doors leading to the hallway between the empty rooms and the occupied guest rooms opened quietly, without resistance for they were not locked. The robed figure stepped in front of the others and lifted his hands. He rolled his hands about themselves and softly spoke the words of magic. After a moment, he pushed his hands forward, leading with his palms. A green light left his hands, impacting the two pillars on either side of the stairs that lead to Livia’s bedchamber on the fourth floor. There was a loud snap then cracks formed in the stone as the ruins that had protected the Green family for years shattered, opening the passageway for the trio.
 
Dallyn shot up from the plush pillows and thrust away the silken sheets in the large guest bed. Was it a dream or had he heard some sort of distortion? It was like the sizzling pop that accompanied an unraveled enchantment, or perhaps the cascading shatterings of a thin-branched tree.


It was dark. Much too dark to see, and whether or not what he'd heard was real or imagined, Dallyn was too weary and too disturbed to lay back and take any chances. He threw his legs over the edge of the bed and pressed his feet to the ground. He was immediately struck by the coolness of the hard wood and the realization that there was no time to put on his boots or fetch his armor. Nay, he'd not the time to snatch up his enchanted headband either, so he'd be without the magical defenses the artifact granted him. The Nightlord snatched up the hilt of his masterwork longsword from the end of the bed where it leaned against the bedtable and cringed when it slid from the scabbard.


He crossed the floor on the balls of his feet quickly to reduce the sound. Such was one of the few advantages of wearing no foot protection. Dallyn's fingers closed around the doorknob and, before turning, he hefted the weight of the door with his forearm to ensure it opened without a creak. It was a trick he'd used to great effect many times before. He whispered the words to an enchantment that would cast his blade in a warm glow, like that of a torch and the door opened just enough for him to peak out to the hallway.



OoC: Casts Light on the MW Long Sword
 
Dallyn peeked through the tiny crack in the door and could see two figures standing at the bottom of the stairs that lead up to Livia’s bedchamber. They stood there for a moment, seemed to test the step before one stepped a few stairs up. It was no secret that the first was a woman. Her feminine curves were showcased by a black leather catsuit. With each step, her hips swayed, emphasizing her perfectly shaped ass and her slender waist. The second figure hide under the typical robes of a magic user, their hood pulled up, hiding any features from Dallyn’s view.

As the pair started up the stairs, Dallyn noticed that the tattle tail signs of the wards that protected the stairwell were gone. The slightly iridescent shimmer that stretched from wall to wall was gone. In fact, the dark knight could see deep cracks in the two pillars where the wards had been carved.

As the female turned on the landing to ascend to the fourth floor, a shadow passed in front of Dallyn’s view of the screen. At first he wasn’t sure what he was seeing till the heavy sweet smell of bovine scent hit his nostrils. The shadow was actually a massive black minotaur.
 
Dallyn's head snapped back in surprise as the Minotaur's large frame appeared suddenly and dangerously close. The Thorn Knight knew two things then. One, Livia's manor was in fact compromised and thus, her life was threatened. Two, he needed to act quickly before things were out of his control. He had come to Flotsam with the intention of ensuring her safety and furthering the interests of his Order. Her loss would be devastating to both his Order and his own sensibilities. It was time to act.

He leaped back from the door and his free hand was in motion as he mouthed the words to a spell. His fingers danced as his voice carried on the still air of the guest room that began to stink of sulfur and brimstone. The Nightlord's chanting reached a crescendo and two beams of intense heat shot forth from his outstretched fingers towards the mammoth invader's dark form. They'd scorch through flesh, bone, and wood all the same.

Dallyn needed to bring the creature down quickly and get to the other two thieves or assassins. Whatever and whoever they were...


OoC:

Dallyn uses a move action to retreat 10' into the room and casts Scorching Ray. This will shoot two beams of scorching heat at the Minotaur for 4d6 damage a piece, with no saving throw.

Ranged touch attack 1d20+12= 22
Damage = 13 and 16 for 29 damage!

Remember, Ranged Touch Attack means no armor or natural armor for the Minotaur's AC.
 
There was a loud howl of pain and a cry of surprise from the stairwell as the scorching rays hit burned through the heavy wooden door and into the back of the massive black minotaur. “What in the Abyss?” questioned a male voice.

A female voice snapped. “She must have company that slipped past your watch, you idiot.” There was a low rumble that Dallyn couldn’t understand what the minotaur said, but there was no doubt there were many curse words spat. “Quiet your grumbling and take care of them. You: there’s still one more ….”

Dallyn didn’t hear what else was said because the heavy wood door flew open and the doorway was now blocked by a very large, very angry minotaur. His eyes were as black as his wiry coat. The only colour on his body were a set of ivory white horns that curved forward as if aiming at his foe. A heavy leather kilt about his narrow waist he shifted his weight then raised the polished greataxe which he held across his chest. The impressive weapon swept forth, on course to impact with Dallyn’s unprotected body when the Minotaur let out a grunt of pain and the axe fell short. The action seemed to be hindered by the massive burn the bulvien took to his back.
 
Dallyn flinched despite any planned bravado as the hulking Minotaur attacked, but luck was with him. The creature grunted in pain, presumably from the damage it had taken from the attack, and the greataxe failed to connect. The Nightlord knew he would be dead in short order if he didn’t find a way around his current predicament. Then the solution came to him like a dark epiphany.

There would be no winning against the Minotaur in single combat, especially with no armor and none of his wands or other trinkets. All he had was his sword and his sorcery, and though both skills were well-honed, there was too much at stake to leave it up to chance.

He started to take a step back but thought the better of it. He might be able to outrun that huge axe to get a spell off, but he wouldn’t have the time to evade and chase after the others. Livia needed his support now! There was simply no time to play with the horned one! No. Better to cast defensively and trust in his skill with a sword.

Dallyn’s lips curled into a smirk and he began chanting. His voice took on a sibilant quality as he rattled off the words to a transmutation that was sure to enrage his opponent. Skilled in the art of defensive casting, he wove his longsword in an arcing routine to fend off any coming attack as the sorcerer continued to cast his spell. Then his entire form dematerialized and he seemed to have vanished into thin air. But vanish he did not. Rather, the Nightlord had transformed into a silhouette of his original form by way of shadow magic. He now clung to the floor like an apparition and began flowing out of the room with the speed born of no physical form. He darted under the Minotaur and through the door, his shadowy-self rising from the floorboards to travel along the wall and down the hallway. Sir Ironstrike had a very nasty surprise in the works for Livia’s enemies.



OoC: Casting defensively to avoid AoO from the Minotaur. Spell level is 4, so we’re looking at a DC 23.

1d20+12 = 27 whew!

Casts Shadowform.

This spell transforms the caster into a shadow. This means they gain all the qualities of a shadow, such as incorporeal form. They may move 30’ along any surface per round, which he does as a move action after casting, and they can shift in and out of the form as a full-round-action. This will reduce the duration of the spell by 2 minutes if executed, and the spell can last up to 10 minutes at his caster level.

This also adds a +5 competence bonus to stealth checks, which I will roll for you now.

1d20+6 (skill) +5 (competence) = 26 Stealth check
 
Last edited:
The Minotaur gave a loud roar and spun around. Frantically, he began to search to room. “Where are you, you rat?” he growled. Furniture began to go flying as the great black Bolivian began to search for the dark knight.

On the stairs, Dallyn could see the magic user lifted his hand and a ray of green light left his palms, shooting up the stairwell. He could hear the crack and snap of the second protective ward was destroyed, opening the entrance to Livia’s bedchamber on the fourth floor. The female took off up the stairs at a sprinted, dashing up to the bedchamber above. “Whoever it is, stop them. I’ll get the lady.” she said to her partner as she rushed past.

ooc:
Minotaur is in the guest room, about ten feet.
Magic user is on the landing.
Rogue has rushed up the stairs to the left.
 
The shadowy form of the Nightlord continued its careful ascent over the walls and on its way up the stairs. He followed in the wake of the onrushing rogue in hopes to beat her to Livia. He was certain that his charge was the target of this unexpected housebreaking.

There was no time to study the wizard, who he believe was the most dangerous in the party. No time to retrieve his headband and best defense against enemy magic. Dallyn was going to have to be very crafty in the coming moments. Livia's and his life depended on it.

OoC:
Dallyn will move 30' towards the rogue and Livia. He is moving with Stealth to avoid detection in Shadowform

Stealth check =
Roll(1d20)+11:
19,+11
Total:30
 
The sounds of breaking furniture paused and was followed by a shout, “Where are you, you slippery bastard! Come out and fight me like a man! You ball less coward!” the beast growled then was followed by the sound the to guest room’s gilded door being ripped from its hinges.

As Dallyn rushed to to top of the stairs, so too did the magic users. The sound of rustling of his robes could now be heard by the dark knight as both raced to the top. As they both crested the last landing, the magic user seemingly unaware of Dallyn’s presents.

The room was much like the ones that Dallyn occupied, only an even grander scale. Though dark, the dark knight could see a massive fireplace framed by two huge french doors that lead to a balcony furnished almost exactly the same as the interior of the grand sitting room. High back chairs and fine rugs surrounded a huge table that rivaled the one in the Green’s dining room. A sitting area divided the space between the table and the bedchamber itself. In face if it had not been for the huge bed at the far end of the room, one might have mistook it for the grand room of a slightly smaller house.

As The magic user stopped at the top of the stairs, his arm shot out and a spool of silver thread rolled across the floor, invaliding as it slid away. The words of magic slipped from his lips as she wrapped around the end of the wire. With the spell cast, the man in the heavy grey robes stepped into the room.

In the darkness at the far end of the room, Dallyn could see the hint of a shadow move past one of the chairs in the sitting area, halfway across the massive room.

Ooc.
Minotaur is in the hallway again.
Magic user is at the top of the stairs. He cast Alarm
Rogue is 30’ into Livia’s living quarters, halfway to the bed at the far end.
 
It was time to make his move. The Wizard had cast a spell to detect his presence inside Livia's room, so there was no way he could continue the charade and make any ground on the rogue. The rogue who was nearing the bed and the woman he was here to protect.

Dallyn's shadowy formed slipped behind the wizard and he began the transformation back to his solid form. Shadows leaked from his body as his flesh and bones rematerialized. He was still grasping the masterwork sword when he had returned to his natural form. He need only plunge the sword into the back of his enemy.

OoC:

5' Step behind the wizard and shift out of Shadowform
This will reduce the spell's duration by 2 minutes, which still has in close to 8 minutes remaining in cast I decide to shift back.
 
The magic user didn’t seem to notice the dark knight taking shape behind him, instead he started across the floor of the room towards the bed.

The rogue continued running till she skidded to a stop. With a flick of her wrist, she pulled back the red silk sheet that Livia slept beneath. The sudden change in temperature, though subtle, stirred the sleeping elf. She opened her eyes sleepily and gave a soft moan. “I thought you said she’d be out cold like the others. She looks like she could wake at any….” The woman barked as she looked back towards her comrade. Though the magic user didn’t see Dallyn, the rogue did. “Behind you!” she shouted a warning then turned towards her elven target. She pulled few pieces of rope that hung from her belt out and rolled Livia over onto her front and began binding her hands.

Without turning to see the man behind him, he reached into his belt a produced a small item. From where Dallyn now stood, he could instantly smell the familiar odor: Licorice root. With a flick of his wrists and whisper, the dark knight heard the the spidery words as the spell was cast. A soft laugh came from the bed. “Thank you comrade.” the rogue said just loud enough for both the magic users to hear.

Suddenly the thundering steps of the huge Minotaur began up the stairs towards Dallyn’s back. “The slippery bastard must me up here.” he stated as re rounded the corner, ax in hand. Seeing his target, the back beast gave a shout and rushed forward, swinging his blade at the dark knight at the top of the stairs but due to the shadows cast from the windows on the fourth floor, missed, burying the weapon deep into the heavy oak banister.

Ooc:
Magic user 10 feet into room: cast haste of Rogue
Rogue at the bedside, binding Livia
Livia just gaining consciousness but only just
Minotaur behind Dallyn on the stairs.
 
Was it luck? As Dallyn rematerialized he found himself accosted on both sides. The Minotaur had barreled up the stairs and fairly buried his axe in the wall beside the wisps of shadow that still coalesced around his mostly naked body. He could smell the creature’s foul breath and the sweat that matted its fur from the rampage it had enacted in Livia’s family home.

On the other side, the wizard still loomed, a deadly promise upon his lips of pain to come. The rogue, now magically enhanced for great speed, was going to work on the Lady of the house. Could things get any worse?

The Nightlord looked from left to right, then left again. He needed to act quickly. He needed to dispatch one of his foes immediately or he’d be dead, and the gods knew what would happen to Livia. The wizard was a soft target by his estimation. Without armor, he could dissect the fool more easily than the Minotaur, and the wizard could serve up a powerful response if he left the caster to his devices. The Minotaur, on the other hand, had his greataxe buried in the wall. Both were in desirable circumstances by Dally’s estimation. Both would end him quickly if he didn’t act right away.

Dallyn turned away from the Wizard, his mind made, and stepped into the Minotaur’s guard, punching his masterwork longsword ahead of him like a lancer might skewer another rider. But he did not strike without first channeling a bit of his natural sorcery into the blade of his sword. The blade was charged with raw magic as it punched home, but Dallyn was not finished. The Nightlord retracted his blade, pivoted, and slashed horizontally for the bovine face in hopes of ending the threat then and there. The resulting momentum would also bring his sword around defensively to hopefully intercept any attack forthcoming from the maniac Minotaur.

“Livia! Wake up!”



OoC:

5’ Free step towards the Minotaur

Swift action to use Arcane Strike. This charges a weapon with magical energy and grants it a +2 quality, as if it were a magic weapon. This adds to the ability to hit, damage, and helps bypass damage reduction.

Two attacks with the now +2 Longsword.

Attack 1: 1d20+17 (36) Nat 19 so rolling to confirm crit

1d20+17 (25)

Damage 1d8+9 (16)

Damage if critical is confirmed (8) for a total of 24!

Are you using Crit Cards or no?



Attack 2: 1d20+12 (14)

Damage 1d8+9 (13)
 
The minotaur turned at the last moment, reaching his hand out to grab Dallyn, intending to crush the skull of the human who stood in his way. But the Gods did not smile on him and he knew it as he felt the enchanted blade of the dark knight slice deep into his chest and up towards his face. The great black beast was dead before the longs word cut clear out of his skull, dearly cutting the top half of his frame in two.

As his companion hit the floor, the magic user let out a string of swears then reached his figure in Dallyn’s direction. A pea sized ball of fire shot out and flew towards him, growing in size and speed. The fireball flew just past the dark knight on his left side and, instead of impacting Dallyn, struck the corpse of the Minotaur, setting the remains of fire, incinerating it on the marble staircase. “Get the bitch and run!” he shouted to the woman who was struggling to pick Livia up.

Lady Green had heard Dallyn’s shout but only just. Try as she might, Livia could not remain conscience. She struggled weakly which made the rogue’s job more difficult since they were very similar in size. Finally she lifted the half elf over her shoulder and wrapped her arms around her legs. The sheer silk of her nightgown did nothing to help with the endeavor as the rogue stumbled towards the balcony doors on the other side of the room where the magic user had already run.
 
Dallyn yanked his sword free of the dying Minotaur and his next swipe, the second strike of his attack routine, need not even have been made. The creature fell away before his blade could kiss flesh again. The Nightlord had no time to savor the victory however as a pinpoint of orange flame flew by on a crash course with the staircase below.

Dallyn knew well the spell that created the small ball of flame. He had a necklace about his neck that could conjure such fireballs. Dallyn also knew the inferno that was about to come and knew he was doomed. But the small ball flame flew out of range before it ignited into a thirty foot blast of superheated air and fire. The stones stairs were awash in flame and the Minotaur was consumed by fire as the Dark Knight backed away, shielding his face in the crook of his sword arm.

He'd been spared by the blast somehow. Had the wizard meant to miss him, or was the caster more of a novice than Dallyn had previously guessed? There was little time to consider his luck though, as the rogue was making her way out of the manor with Livia in tow, and the wizard was not far behind. Gods! The manor might go up in flames!

He needed to act, so Dallyn decided it was time to use a bit of his own magic against the rival mage. He extended his free hand in a gesture that pointed both his middle and index finger at the wizard's chest, mimicking a crossbow head or the end of an arrow. The Nightlord drew power from his own life force and channeled it with the natural magic of the moons, then thrust forward a beam of black energy at the wizard. It was a ray of raw negative energy. The stuff of darkness and terror. Necromancy in its purest form, and Dallyn was somewhat of an expert in the craft. (I have Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy as a feat).

The beam shot forth and the Nightlord was already rushing towards his quarry before the dark magic took effect.


OoC:

Casts Ray of Sickness at the wizard.


This is a ray attack, so I need to hit with a ranged touch attack. Keep in mind a touch attack denies any armor bonuses.

Range 45'

1d20+11 (BA and DEX) +1 Weapon Focus Rays = (17)

If hit, the Wizard must roll a fortitude save of 16. I'm counting on a low Fortitude bonus since he is a wizard!!!

If failure, the Wizard becomes Sickened for 8 minutes. If he passes the save, the Wizard becomes Fatigued for 8 minutes. This should work out well either way you slice it, which is why I took the spell. It's particularly effective against spellcasters.

We all know what happens to a wizard that gets tired. ;)

Move action to move 30' towards the wizard and rogue.
 
As the dark missile left Dallyn’s fingers, the robed magic user let out a grunt, twisting his body at the last minute. There was a loud crash and whooshing sound at the bolt hit the windows behind him, a inky shadow blocking out the moons light from the balcony. As it passes, the spell catches his shoulder and spins him all the way around. He takes a deep, exasperated breath and lets it out raggedly. With a sneer, the wizard took a few steps towards the dark knight. “You have a choice: continue this fight and, if you survive, feel the wrath of our master or turn and leave with your life. The choice is yours but we will be leaving with that which he wants.”

The words seemed as though the wizard wished to give Dallyn a way out as a sudden heavy mist in circles him and begins to block the dark knights view of the rogue as she gives up trying to carry Lady Green who now seems to be struggling more. “Let go of me!” she says but her voice is still soft. The rogue drops her hard on the floor. Though Dallyn can’t see, she hears the air rush out of Livia’s lungs then a hard slapping sound and a soft cry of pain. All followed by the sound of something being dragged across the floor.
 
The ray didn't work?!? Dallyn's eyes narrowed as he continued his approach, but then the wizard conjured a dark fog to obscure his view. Soon Livia and her assailants were lost in a gaseous curtain that served them too well.

The Nightlord cursed as he racked his mind for a spell that would slow them down or separate them from his charge, but there was nothing. He couldn't see the wizard or his companion, so there was no targeting them with offensive magic. He could not risk a fireball or other wide range spell for risk of hitting Livia with the same blast. No...he needed to wade into the fog and take his chances.

Dallyn briefly considered casting counter-magic to remove the arcane fog from the room, but that would take time, and he didn't believe he had much of that left. Instead, he settled on a more conservative approach. He'd bide his time, improve his defenses, and wait for the enemy to make a fatal mistake.

The sorcerer called upon his best defensive magic to saturate his body with a field of arcane force. The buffer could turn aside a knight's lance or deflect a bolt of lightning in the right circumstances. Next, he shifted back to Shadowform and uses his senses other than sight to track the enemy.

OoC:

Casting Ablative Barrier

Invisible layers of solid force surround and protect the target, granting that target a +2 armor bonus to AC. Additionally, the first 5 points of lethal damage the target takes from each attack are converted into nonlethal damage. Against attacks that already deal nonlethal damage, the target gains DR 5/—. Once this spell has converted 5 points of damage to nonlethal damage per caster level (maximum 50 points), the spell is discharged.

Returning to Shadowform
 
Though Dallyn couldn’t see the interlopers who invaded the Green House and were now attempting to kidnap Livia, he could still hear them. There was the sound of someone rattling the silver doorknob to the balcony. Then a female voice, “For crying out loud: get out of my way. You stick to what you know and leave the exit to me.”

There was sounds of a struggle again as Livia braked, “Let go of me you…” but her fraze was muffled as if she was talking through something soft.

A moment later, he heard the door open and the sounds of the city at night. Even from this distance, the sounds of the dock workers unloading and loading ships. Dallyn could hear dragging then a sudden the whisper of a spell being cast. A cone of fire shot out through the fog, passed the dark knight to the spot her stood moments ago. The air sizzled and smoke filled the air as the fire dissipated.
 
Dallyn might have smirked if his shadowy form contains the requisite lips and whiskered chin. The flaming cone lashed out aggressively and dangerously, but he managed to hug the wall as evasive as he was ethereal.

Dallyn slipped forward through the fog and the crease in the door, where fire had just licked the stone and wood. The sihoette that was his body streaked across the ground to merge with the shadows of the captors. He'd trail them and rescue Livia when they let their guard down. It was all he could think to do, and the gods willing, they'd mistakenly assume he'd perished in the fire.

OoC:

Moves 30' after them and hides within the shadow of the closest of the two.

Stealth 1d20+16 = (25)
 
Back
Top