Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Henchman999 and a belated welcome to Bramblethorn. I have been consumed with research lately.

perdie - var of pardie

pardie or pardi or pardy - interjection archaic (French par De' by God) a mild oath

I've been working my way through an old translation of Victor Hugo's Les Misérables and comparing it with a French version with the idea of regaining some of the French I once knew, oh, about half a century ago.

Among the things I've learned is that the phrase par bleu, meaning "by blue," is a "mild oath", or, if you prefer, a wishy-washy substitute for par dieu, meaning "by God". In Hugo's time, the latter was a much more potent oath than it is these days.

I know you are correct, but it's good to scramble the language
with definitions that stress the dictionary makers. I yet hold,
not combatively, that pleonastics are more than words. I am
not too far from the traditional library to believe in their cover-
ing of all instances 'too much.'

For cups that runneth over.

Delighted,
Henchman

Hollo

I had occasion to look up the word holler (as in "Give us a holler") today---I wanted to be sure that it really is a word.

I found that it comes from the "rare verb" hollo—which I'd never encountered before. My old Webster's (which dates from the late 30's) gives that verb as

hollo v. i. To call out or exclaim; halloo. v. t. To shout aloud; chase or incite with shouts; shout to.

Last edited:
Plethora.

Do I remember Fowler (I don't have the text in front of me)
saying the British pronunciation was plee=thora?

I always had it as 'pleth-thor--a.' Stress on second.

What say you?

H.

Plethora.

Do I remember Fowler (I don't have the text in front of me)
saying the British pronunciation was plee=thora?

I always had it as 'pleth-thor--a.' Stress on second.

What say you?

H.

Fowler (both 1st & 2nd editions) gives the pronunciation as ple' thora, with the stress on the first syllable, and with the 'e' to be pronounced as in 'reck'. (I am not sure that Fowler admits any pronunciation but the British...)

Follet, the second-rate American Fowler-imitator, doesn't mention the word.

And near by, Fowler also gives pleonasm as I would: "the using of more words than are required to give the sense intended".

Last edited:
I stand abashed before my betters and release my hold
on pleonasm. I let it go. Before the day is over, I will
likely give up another cherished mal-thought.

I so wanted the word to do what I wanted it to do
(Humpty Dumpty-- CHAPTER 6, TLG)

H.

Full-bodied meant something else, before it became a buzz word for wine lovers. Thanks for the compliment, Henchman.

percussion lock - noun the lock of a gun fired by percussion

Pastoral - describing a rural lifestyle and also, a particular kind of poetry celebrating Nature and the rural.

I think (HP and Og may be able to correct me on this?), it came into being first in Greek literature and then flourished in Latin.

Spenser's Faerie Queen is a pastoral epic.

Pastoral poetry flourished during the golden age of Elizabeth I in England, when an incipient urban and industrial culture began to offer the opportunity to be nostalgic rather than fearful of rural areas. The pastoral could be utilised to write in praise of QEI, as well as about love, flowers, birds singing and other topics suitable for Valentine's Day.

Valentine's :rose: to all friends in the thread.

I have been watching Shakespearean plays and enjoy this next word quite a bit. I saw I had missed it, and have gone back into the Ps to retrieve it.

prithee - interjection [alt of (I) pray thee] archaic used to express a wish or request

Prosaic - adj - lacking in imagination or spirit; matter of fact, straightforward..

I particularly like this word as it's always seemed to me it should mean something else - it makes me think of stained glass windows rather than something boring.

Welcome, NicolaNext, those are both great words and I agree with you about prosaic. It seems like it should refer to prose, somehow.

percipient - adj capable of or characterized by perception: DISCERNING

percussion lock - noun the lock of a gun fired by percussion

The Reverend Forsyth is noted for his invention of a percussion lock even if his scent bottle method was eventually a dead end and was overtaken by percussion caps. Some of the pistols produced using his percussion method were works of art but the percussion cap was cheaper and easier to use.

His patented method, once the patent expired, was eventually developed to the primers used in almost all the ammunition for modern small arms.

The Reverend's use of fulminates caused real concern to the Master of Ordnance because some of the experiments were disastrous failures and could have detonated all of London's gunpowder stores.

Napoleon Bonaparte wanted the Reverend to work for the French, but being a loyal Scot, Reverend Forsyth declined.

See Michener, James A.​

pleonasm - noun, the use of more words than are necessary to convey meaning (e.g. see with one's eyes) either as a fault of style or for emphasis.

I would have described that number of emergency vehicles as a plethora, an over-reaction, a waste of resources and manpower, an indication of overmanning but I might be committing a pleonasm.

Fowler (both 1st & 2nd editions) gives the pronunciation as ple' thora, with the stress on the first syllable, and with the 'e' to be pronounced as in 'reck'. (I am not sure that Fowler admits any pronunciation but the British...)

Follet, the second-rate American Fowler-imitator, doesn't mention the word.

And near by, Fowler also gives pleonasm as I would: "the using of more words than are required to give the sense intended".

I stand abashed before my betters and release my hold
on pleonasm. I let it go. Before the day is over, I will
likely give up another cherished mal-thought.

I so wanted the word to do what I wanted it to do
(Humpty Dumpty-- CHAPTER 6, TLG)

H.

trypophobia n., (slang) an intense, irrational fear of holes.

It's not an officially recognized word, yet. I suspect it will eventually receive the blessing and imprimatur of those who are the arbiters of such things. I stumbled across it here:

Fear Of Cantaloupes and Crumpets? A 'Phobia' Rises From The Web

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...opes-and-crumpets-a-phobia-rises-from-the-web

As noted in the above, its definition can be found here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trypophobia

trypophobia n., (slang) an intense, irrational fear of holes.

It's not an officially recognized word, yet. I suspect it will eventually receive the blessing and imprimatur of those who are the arbiters of such things. I stumbled across it here:

Fear Of Cantaloupes and Crumpets? A 'Phobia' Rises From The Web

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...opes-and-crumpets-a-phobia-rises-from-the-web

As noted in the above, its definition can be found here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trypophobia

John Lennon/Paul McCartney 1967

I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph.
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.
I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
but I just had to look
Having read the book.
I'd love to turn you on
Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream
I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

I'd love to turn you on.

Og, how many holes does it take to fill Albert Hall anyway? LOL I wondered when one of the gentlemen on here was going to add something to the percussion lock/cap discussion. Thanks for the information regarding the Reverend. Oddly enough, I bought a replica Philadelphia deringer, like the one that killed Lincoln, and holster for Madam Gigi, when I dress up like her, and need to be armed in case of an altercation. It uses paper caps for sound and smoke effect. I must say I do love it, but would not want to carry around a real concealed weapon these days. Back in 1857, it was perfectly understandable, especially for a Madam.

Thanks, Trysail, for the additional information, too.

Percheron - noun any of a breed of powerful rugged draft horses from the Perche region of France

Og, how many holes does it take to fill Albert Hall anyway? LOL I wondered when one of the gentlemen on here was going to add something to the percussion lock/cap discussion. Thanks for the information regarding the Reverend. Oddly enough, I bought a replica Philadelphia deringer, like the one that killed Lincoln, and holster for Madam Gigi, when I dress up like her, and need to be armed in case of an altercation. It uses paper caps for sound and smoke effect. I must say I do love it, but would not want to carry around a real concealed weapon these days. Back in 1857, it was perfectly understandable, especially for a Madam.

Thanks, Trysail, for the additional information, too.

Percheron - noun any of a breed of powerful rugged draft horses from the Perche region of France

I have replica flintlock, Forsyth percussion lock and cap and ball pistols. All are full-size replicas and would be impossible to conceal.

Og, those sound like lots of fun. I love dressing up in period clothes and all the things that go along with it, including firearms.

perchance - adv PERHAPS, POSSIBLY

Happy Valentine's Day, Lovers of Life. In honor of the day;

Cupid - noun 1. the god of love in Roman mythology 2. not cap: a winged naked infantile figure representing Cupid often with bow and arrow

cupidity - noun 1. archaic: strong desire: LUST 2. inordinate desire for wealth: AVARICE, GREED

Cupid's bow - noun the classical form of bow

Happy Valentine's Day!

Tughra - are words written in beautiful calligraphic script in Arabic. Most sects of Islam are against pictorial art, viewing it as taking on creative work which should only be done by God. So geometric patterning and beautiful calligraphy have flourished as artistic expression.

This one is a bit cheat-y, perhaps, showing the heart. It is for a member of the more relaxed Sufi movement in Islam. (You can read more about it here.)

Tughra.png

Happy Valentine's Day, Lovers of Life. In honor of the day;

Cupid's bow - noun the classical form of bow

It is also a style of applying lipstick popular in the 1920s for silent movie actresses. Betty Boop is often shown with a Cupid's Bow mouth.

Or Clara Bow:

th

Or:

th

Mary Pickford:

th

Her lips weren't actually shaped like that. Many pictures show her with less exaggerated lips.

Last edited:
It is also a style of applying lipstick popular in the 1920s for silent movie actresses. Betty Boop is often shown with a Cupid's Bow mouth.

Or Clara Bow:
Or Mary Pickford:

Her lips weren't actually shaped like that. Many pictures show her with less exaggerated lips.

I suppose you don't have a detailed manual around showing how they did it?

:kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back