When Fed's fall ~ Ember's Protector {Closed}

Nick was tempted to run upstairs and check on the dancer, but he knew that he couldn't. Nothing good would come out of it. In addition to jeopardizing his assignment, it would put the dancer in more danger. Makzim might think something was going on between them and hurt her even more than he did yesterday.

Makzim came walking out of his office screaming...asking where Jacob was. The bartender told him that Rico had taken him home. Makzim looked at Nick and told him that if Jacob came back into the place that Nick should finish what he started before. It appeared that what pissed Makzim off the most was that he had sent Jacob up there.

Nick decided to go out on a limb, again. "It seems that your big money maker has run into tough situations the last couple of days. Why don't you let me protect that asset. I showed you last night I could do the job. Let me protect her and in doing so, protect the one girl that brings in the most clients and of course the most money." It was a risk, but he had to try.
 
You just go make sure she will be able to perform tomorrow. Our guest... is expecting his deal breaker gift to be in one piece again this time too. Jacobs problem he says the new guy went too easy on her. Damn idiot.

He then growled to the bartender

Get Adams here now just in case and tell him to bring more meds for the dancers.
 
"Jacob's problem is that he thinks if the woman is still breathing that you went to easy on her. I am not an animal, but I know how to get a good piece of ass." Nick walked away from the bar without making eye contact with anyone.

Nick walked up the steps and into the room where he had left Ember. Nick closed the door behind him. He looked for her and then walked over to her. He kneeled down next to her. "I am sorry I didn't do more to protect you."
 
She was there on the bed staring blankly at the wall. Looking like a shattered little China doll. Her body jolted to recoil at someone being near her. She tried to look at him her voice barely above a whisper.

Can't protect from life. This is my life since I was old enough to endure it "legally".
 
Nick knew they were on camera. He wanted to help her, but in order to help her he would have to blow his cover and that would be the end of the assignment...and probably his career. He had to find a way to get the dancer out of this life. It appeared to him that she had endured enough, but what could he do.

"The doctor is coming. He is bringing drugs. My advice is for you not to take them...unless you really have to. Pretend to take them, but don't. I don't know how I am going to do it, but I am going to get you out of here. I promise you that."
 
She just laid there watching him biting her lip and just nodded. The Dr walked in and moved over by her and began to check her out giving her a shot to help her sleep and looking to Nick.

Let me guess... Senator Daniels, Jacob or the foreigner?
 
Nick couldn't prevent the doctor from giving Ember the meds, because he gave it to her in a shot. Before he could do or even think of anything to say, the doctor had injected her with the contents of the needle.

"Well, you have guessed right. I am not going to tell you which one is right. You will have to get that from somebody else. I am new here and I am not sure what the proper protocol is, so, I will just stay out of it.

As Nick saw Ember dozing off he got up and walked out of the room. He went down the steps oblivious to anything else going on. He had to figure out a way to get her out of this. If he didn't she would not last too much longer....she was suffering too much a use.
 
The Dr walked down after him once she was resting peacefully. He sat down at the bar and nodding to the bartender who set a shot of bourbon in front of him.

Anyone disturb her before the club opens for business tomorrow will answer to me and you can tell Makzim that includes him.

Makzim turned the corner in time to hear the Dr and growled.

Jacob did that bad a number? She sleeps here Nick... looks like you crashing in the club tonight...
 
Nick sat at the bar. He wasn't crazy about sleeping in the club, but it gave him an opportunity to stay close to Ember, and to make sure that nothing happened to her. "Well, then, everybody should get the fuck out, because I need to get at least a little sleep tonight.

After everybody left, Nick dragged a sofa over to the steps and blocked them. He figured that he would sleep on the floor so that if anyone tried to go up to see Ember, they would have to climb over him. Before he went to sleep, he went up to check on Ember. He walked into her room, and she appeared to be asleep. He stood there for a second wondering what he was really protecting her from. Tomorrow, she would be turned over to the special guest for his own type of abuse. He turned and walked out of the room and headed down to the sofa.
 
The next morning the club was a buzz with people cleaning and working on anything that might have been in the slightest bit damaged and the Dr was there like a pit bull that not even Jacob was willing to challenge at Ember's door. He left only long enough to talk to Makzim and when they walked out of the office it was clear even Makzim was far from willing to to cross him either.
 
Nick spent a sleepless night on the couch at the bottom of the steps. He heard every little noise and was alert to what might be perceived as any danger to Ember. He spent the night trying to figure out how to get Ember out. Hug couldn't just take her and run to his supervisors. They would not be happy that the assignment was blown. He thought about trying to sneak her out to safety, but every part of the building was wired with cameras.

When the doctor showed up, Nick let him upstairs and followed him up. Nick stood outside the room while the doctor examined her. Then he went back downstairs when the doctor went to talk to Makzim. Nick wasn't happy when he saw Jacob in the club. Rico was with Jacob and stood between the two of them. Nick didn't say anything verbally, but his look said it all.....he wanted to kill Jacob. Then, the doctor and Makzim came out of Makzim's office.
 
RICO

Makzim called out.

You will pick up our guest at 2 this afternoon and take that idiot with you.
 
Would it be possible to get her out of this place? Nick was actually considering blowing the assignment to get Ember out. Should he do it? Or was Ember just going to end up collateral damage in the war to bring Makzim down?

He stood at the bar looking at Makzim. He would use her until she was no more use to him and then he would dump her somewhere...unless she was killed while being used. He decided he had to get her out........Now.
 
Later she waled down stairs and moving over to Makzim he seemed to hug her and whisper to her as she just stood there in his embrace. Once he released her she moved back to the dressing room and remained there till the club opened and she was to begin dancing.
 
Nick decided that he had to give it a try. He had to approach Ember....even if it blew his cover...even if she dimmed him out to Makzim. He had to try to help her. He watched her walk into the dressing room, and, when nobody was watching, Nick slipped into her dressing room. He asked Ember if she was okay, and then he apologized for not protecting her from Jacob. Then, he said to her, "what would you say if I told you that I thought I could get you out of here? Out of this life?"
 
She looked over and nodded.

I am fine. Jacob is just a part of this life... no more no less.

She sighed as he talked about getting her out of this life biting her lip a little she looked to him and answered.

It has been tried before. Makzim will just hunt us down... then I will have to watch him kill someone else.
 
Nick looked at Ember and he wanted to kill Jacob. Then he heard her say that it had been tried before and that she didn't want to see Makzim kill someone else. It certainly seemed like she had given up. She seemed like she had resigned herself to this life. Nick thought about it. He wondered if there was anyway he could stay undercover and protect her, but he knew the answer. He only had to look as far as last night, and now there was a special customer coming this afternoon.

"I am not like everyone else. I have a special set of skills, and a long list of connections to get you out, but you have to want it. It is up to you. I will be around. All you have to do is let me know."
 
She bit her lip at his offer watching him. How can you go against him he owns everyone who works for him... Even if they don't know it.

She pushed her hair back behind her ear as she watched him.

I don't want to cause anyone else to get killed. Especially if I don't know their name.

She looked to him and walking closer.

I am Ember.
 
He listened to her talk about not wanting to be the cause of anyone else to be killed. She talked of Makzim owning everyone...even if they did not know it. This meg red him. There was no way that he was going to let her continue to suffer in this lifestyle.

"Hello Ember. My name is Nick. Makzim does not own everybody. He doesn't own me, and he never will. If you want out, I will get you out. However, you have to want it. I realize I just put my life in jeopardy, because you could go running to Makzim and tell him what I just said to you, but that would mean that you enjoyed this life."
 
Be careful thinking he does not own you too. He knows things about people he shouldn't or someone he can use against them or... like me... having been given to him to pay a debt my step dad owed him.

She watched Nick wanting to believe but Makzim over the years had her so convinced that there was no escape much less that the cops would treat her far worse than any of his "associates" including Jacob. She could not fathom freedom from this life... no matter how much she wanted to.
 
Nick heard what Ember was saying, and he knew that she truly believed it. He knew that she had spent so much time under his thumb that she truly did not think there was any way that she could escape this life that her step father had committed her to in order to pay a debt.

"I cannot help you unless you truly want to be helped. I am willing to do so, but you have to commit to getting out. I am going to be here. While I am here there is no doubt that Makzim is trying to gather information that he can use against me. What he gets will not do him any good. If you decide you want out...let me know. Now, I guess I will leave you. Alone to get ready for this afternoon's guest."

Nick threw that last line in there in hopes of motivating her to get out. He got up and headed toward the door. As he got to the door, he turned around and said, "take care of yourself this afternoon."
 
The bartender looked at him when he walked back out.

You like her don't ya kid? Ya not the first and won't be the last...
 
"I think she is nice, but it isn't like i want to marry her or anything. I feel bad that she was exposed to somebody like Jacob and there was nobody to protect her. I understand what she is. I just don't think it is right that she gets mistreated by the help." He walked over and sat at the corner of the bar.

He started to think that he was showing his hand. If the bartender noticed that he had a soft spot for Ember then, certainly, Makzim would know soon. Either the bartender would tell him or Makzim would notice himself. He was going to have to be careful with his interactions with Ember.
 
The bartender walked over and sat down.

Don't worry none. Junior is about to get an earful from me about Jacob... sorry you all call him boss. I can get away with calling him Junior since I knew his dad at that age when he was just a little runt running around.

Ember is a sweet kid personally I told Makzim he should have just taken the debt out of the guys hide but back then he wanted better for people. Then folks started offering money for her when she was old enough bigger dogs on the food chain.

With that he shrugged as if to suggest that is when Makzim changed.

Watch your step keep impressing Makzim and figure out a way to make that little match up with her exclusive. Maybe find him another dancer wouldn't hurt either.
 
Nick was surprised with how much the bartender shared with him. Nick was not naive though. He was prepared for the fact that this could be a trick to test Nick's loyalty to Makzim. The bartender had been around for a lot of years and, although his relationship with Makzim was different, he still was one of Makzim's people.

He thought about what the bartender had told him. The only problem with his idea was that it put another woman in harms way. Nick, although he had to admit that he felt a little something for Ember, wasn't really interested in just replacing her with another dancer who would be abused.

Of course, that would be what happened if he was able to get Ember to try to escape. Even if they were able to escape, Makzim would just replace her with someone else. Nick had to bring Makzim down.......soon.
 
Back
Top