North Dakota - Riding the oil boom

157_1000.jpg


Thank you for posting this thread. After reading it, I flew there from Alaska and got myself a motel room.

Last night, I made close to $20,000 in just a few hours.

- Sarah

How dare you suggest Sarah would whore herself out like that?

The motel is just two doors away from Sarah's place. No use having to wash the sheets herself.
 
Companies have come here, bought apt complexes and sent rental properties skyrocketing, and have no qualms telling someone in the middle of winter, "You have 30 days to sign the lease or find other accommodations." It's been done all over. Elderly people who have rented small places and lived in them for a few decades have had to leave the state, move in with family, just to survive. Gas has gone up, food and clothes have gone up, and hotel rooms... shit. A room used to go for $65-95 and now are over $200 for one night, and that depends on availability. The hotels raise costs depending on how booked they are, if things get tight, they raise the rates!
Families that were getting by on working 1-2 jobs are now having to work 3-4. Politicians are doing jack crap, making lots of money on the real estate, and wages are not going up. Mom and Pop places are closing because they cannot afford to pay higher wages to keep up with costs elsewhere. Staffing businesses have become increasingly difficult to where they are closing down early or shutting down a few days out of the week.
People that are coming up for jobs in the field bring family with them, workers come and go. We've had to attempted kidnappings in a month and a half, in broad daylight. Rapes and assaults are skyrocketing. But hey! Prostitutes, drug dealers, and other riff raff and making a killing.

There was a girl who posted her letter from her rental management place, showing the complex had been sold. She started out paying $650 a month for rent for her place. It went up to $840... In that letter, she was given the usual 30 days to sign a lease for a rent increase to $2000 or find another place. I wish I could find the actual pic of the letter. I rent from the same company. I was told, "Oh don't worry. You're fine. This was in a town next to the oil field." So? My rent increased 250% last year. You know what happened. It's not stopped, and no one will do anything about it.
I have two friends that tried out the jobs, and said it wasn't worth the safety issues. Taking any Joe, not trained in the field nor schooled with enough common sense safety knowledge and giving them a job, scared the crap out of them.

One of the lines one of the big wigs were throwing out when that finance asshole did a segment on the Bakken was, "All you need is a high school education, and you can make over $100,000 a year."
Yeah... forget knowing how to work and operate dangerous equipment, mixing chems for fracking...

We have some real idiots up here right now. It's crazy. I don't begrudge anyone from looking for work and getting that job, but I have a HUGE problem with companies raking people over the coals and coming over and taking over cities, and politicians joining them in doing it. Haliburton is a big one.
 
Crime has risen incredibly so, pay for those who live here has not, and greed knows no bounds. People are getting fucked over right and left, and not in a good way.

I hate living in ND now. Cannot wait to leave.

Coming back to Texas?

I'm sure the statute of limitations must've expired by now!

;)
 
If I were to ever move back, I'd go to Kemah. That's about it. Too crazy and too tense for me.

Driving is not a lot of fun here, especially on I-10 and 610, but the job market is absolutely booming here. Anyone not working in this town is not working by choice.
 
Less government, free market mentality, Rick Perry solutions works for you big liberals eh? Did you destroy things in Georgia and find out you had to move back into America?:D

Houston succeeds in spite of Rick Perry, not because of him.

Hell, even a chronically unemployed loser such as yourself could find gainful employment out here.

Send me a resume via PM and I'll put you in touch with some janitorial outfits.
 
Houston succeeds in spite of Rick Perry, not because of him.

Hell, even a chronically unemployed loser such as yourself could find gainful employment out here.

Send me a resume via PM and I'll put you in touch with some janitorial outfits.

30 years ago I gave money to a company called United Houston Oil & Gas. They sent me a worthless stock certificate. It hangs on my Wall of Shame.


(Next to stock certs from US Air, Inktomi, Global Crossings and several others)
 
When I was a lot younger (we have rules here...) I would often spent my weekends tending bar, and such at a place were the Dice game would sometimes start on Thursday evening and run until after midnight Sunday.

As I was a fair cook I made a hell of a lot of my money serving up food.

My point is, that people making (to them)lots of money and having a damned good time will pay very well to have what they want, when the want or need it.


I have witnessed some strange,funny and sometimes stupid behavior around some odd people.

Legal?

Well money buys lots of things.

As for me...I like gambling but I rarely do it. i tend to look on it as entrainment which is going to cost me a set amount.

I am happy if I break even more than that is Gravy!:)
 
When I was a lot younger (we have rules here...) I would often spent my weekends tending bar, and such at a place were the Dice game would sometimes start on Thursday evening and run until after midnight Sunday.

As I was a fair cook I made a hell of a lot of my money serving up food.

My point is, that people making (to them)lots of money and having a damned good time will pay very well to have what they want, when the want or need it.


I have witnessed some strange,funny and sometimes stupid behavior around some odd people.

Legal?

Well money buys lots of things.

As for me...I like gambling but I rarely do it. i tend to look on it as entrainment which is going to cost me a set amount.

I am happy if I break even more than that is Gravy!:)

Making out on the pool table is more fun.
 
They had yet another expose on the lawless frontier that is "libertarian paradise" North Dakota last weekend.

A local police chief was asked about the huge spike in crime.

He said, it's very simple:

"Too much alcohol, not enough women".
 


Ever since Col. Drake drilled the first well, it's always been a boom and bust business.


The folks who have been at it for a long time know that. That's because they learned it the hard way.


The neophytes are currently getting an education they will remember.


 
Back
Top