The 2015 Literotica Awards Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussions on this thread made me go

https://encrypted-tbn3.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVqytKffsTbhpeKjMI-C5JZm8LGgsVLk-xlPvBbcFUN1hsyO0ssMlDJ3xpZQ


Anyway.

I wanted to congratulate all the nominees and winners (if any). Hope this motivated you all to write some more. I haven't been able to write much in 2016. Hopefully, that will change.
 
Wouldn't make a lick of difference. The significantly fewer people who would bother to nominate anyone would be scrutinized and smeared exactly the same way people are now.

He only has two stories/hasn't posted in six months/only writes in Incest/only writes strokers. How much could AuthorX have influenced him?

And then, if anyone other than published authors who meet everyone's individual bar is allowed to vote, it's still an illegitimate joke.

If Laurel went through and took every single complaint at face value, found all the common points, and made them the rules for next year, there would be an entirely new set of complaints the next year.

Net result: Less participation. Not a single thing would change otherwise.

As was noted a good part of why there was low participation this year was the fact these awards vanished for four years and the last time they were cut off in the middle with no explanation whatsoever, but of course its always the fault of someone else.

I love the mantra preached by some here that its never the wrong that's wrong it pointing it out that's wrong:rolleyes:
 
If I remember correctly the stories in each category come from the monthly contest winners.
 
Perfect example of what I just said. A brand new complaint, having nothing to do with what I posted.

As was noted a good part of why there was low participation this year was the fact these awards vanished for four years and the last time they were cut off in the middle with no explanation whatsoever, but of course its always the fault of someone else.

I love the mantra preached by some here that its never the wrong that's wrong it pointing it out that's wrong:rolleyes:
 
You can have high production as an author and still have it be crap(speaking generally, not to anybody specific).

True, but the volume level doesn't have any ipso facto connection with "crap" at all, and it's disingenuous (and nasty) to hint that it does. At the other end if you can't squeak out a single complete story in a year, I don't think you're qualified to be the most influential writer for that year. Guess the voters agreed with me. ;)

In addition, the category I'm addressing is most influential writer, not "the best writing I've read on Literotica--and I've read them all--but then the writing hasn't influenced me in any way I can cite," and a writer who signals that it's just fine to go over a year between postings of chapters of their single story has gone into the negative influence value for readers and other writers both in my book, even if the reasoning is understandable. It just doesn't quality them to be the most influential writer here for that year.
 
Last edited:
If I remember correctly the stories in each category come from the monthly contest winners.

Can't be because the two of mine in mature and EH were never monthly winners.

I just looked up all the incest stories and none are winners all have scores in the low 4.8's so maybe they were nominated at one point, but not winners.

Plus you couldn't come up with that many monthly winners in each category for every category, there's not that many and my monthly winner is not nominated.

So Laurel must have used a different process for these.
 
Last edited:
Perfect example of what I just said. A brand new complaint, having nothing to do with what I posted.

No, as always you were blaming arguing for low participation, when reality is this time around there were probably a lot of old timers who recalled the last one vanishing without a trace and the courtesy of an explanation and figured why bother.

Now out me on ignore like you have your other alts
 
I don't have you on ignore. You just haven't said anything I felt like responding to. I happened to be on a site where Firefox works best, so when I opened a tab to come here while ads were playing, Les is who got the post.

Changing Influential Author to authors-only nomination wouldn't make a bit of difference to how the nominees or people making the nominations are viewed and treated. It might change who's sneering at them, but that's all — and I doubt even that.

===========

The nominees are drawn from the list of category nominees each month. Not necessarily the money winners, but rather the story with the highest score and the minimum number of votes in each category. The list is posted at about the same time as the three money winners, in a separate post in the Awards & Contests forum.

Here's the most recent one: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1302040

I assume that the finalists are determined in the same way as every other contest, with the highest scoring stories of the 12 becoming finalists, vote totals determining the ranking when scores are tied, and both stories becoming finalists if scores and votes are tied.

No, as always you were blaming arguing for low participation, when reality is this time around there were probably a lot of old timers who recalled the last one vanishing without a trace and the courtesy of an explanation and figured why bother.

Now out me on ignore like you have your other alts
 
Changing Influential Author to authors-only nomination wouldn't make a bit of difference to how the nominees or people making the nominations are viewed and treated. It might change who's sneering at them, but that's all — and I doubt even that.

Dropping the "influential" aspect entirely might be best--since no one seems willing to justify their choice on that basis. Maybe two categories: Readers' Pick of Best Author and Authors' Pick of Best Author. (And no, to my nasty detractors, I wouldn't complain about whatever reasoning anyone wanted to have to vote on that.) Just noting what I think would work better--not assuming anyone's actually taking action notes.
 
Last edited:
Dropping the "influential" aspect entirely might be best--since no one seems willing to justify their choice on that basis. Maybe two categories: Readers Pick of Best Author and Author's Pick of Best Author. (And no, to my nasty detractors, I wouldn't complain about whatever reasoning anyone wanted to have to vote on that.) Just noting what I think would work better--not assuming anyone's actually taking action notes.

Or it could be called for what it is "Most Popular Author" for whatever year.

I don't like 'best'. things are too subjective here for best, best is in the eyes of each individual reader.
 
Or it could be called for what it is "Most Popular Author" for whatever year.

I don't like 'best'. things are too subjective here for best, best is in the eyes of each individual reader.

I don't mind that it's in the eyes of each individual reader (it's going to be anyway). What I don't like about the use of "influential" is the total ignoring--on a literary Web site--that "influential" needs to have any meaning for the individual voter at all that they should feel the need to point to.
 
Congrats to all the winners and all the nominees as well.

Considering how many stories were produced on lit in 2015 its an achievement just to get into the finals.
 
Congrats to the winners and all runners up.

My special thanks to Carnal Flower and Missy for nominating Amelia from my story, Rope and Veil, and thanks also to the people who voted for her and who she represents.
 
Yay!

On a compeletly different note...I wanted to say thank you for anyone who read...nominated...and voted (particularly for my stuff but for all the others too.)

Thank you!

And congrats to the winners!
 
Congratulations to all the winners and runners-up in all the categories. I am fairly amazed and very thankful to be on some of these lists, in the company of excellent writers. Thanks to all the readers who voted for my work here and supported it throughout.

I'd like to give special thanks to all the poetry readers out there, whoever you may be, and especially those who made the special trip to these threads to vote - the poetry boards are fun and supportive, but poetry gets only a small fraction of the reads that stories do.

I'd also like to comment on the Most Influential Poet category - AMB's poetry is incredibly moving - it reaches soul-searing, gut-wrenching heights. I highly recommend it.

But for his welcoming of new poets and his frequent, constructive, honest and thoughtful criticism to so many of the poets, always delivered gently, greenmountaineer is without peer. He deserves the special thanks of all the poets. :rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:
 
Last edited:
Thank you for allowing me to participate in this contest. Thank you to all those that gave me the honor of their vote for my entry. Thank you to my fellow contestants that submitted such stellar work. It was an humbling honor to be listed among you.
 
Congrats to the winners. Hope it renews your readership. It's good to see an annual contest completed.
 
Congratulations to all nominees and all winners. And a great big thank you to the FOUR READERS (none of them me!) who voted for "The Politics and Math of Lit Voting" and made it the winner of the heavily read "Essays and Reviews" category.
 
A HUGE congrats to all the winners and runner-ups. Anytime you are nominated by your readers or peers for an award shows how much they respect the time and effort you put into it.

I would like to thank everyone for the nominations, votes, support and kind words during this contest. It has certainly been a wild ride.

And to Sr71plt, lovercraft68 and Txrad (sorry if I botched your name), a special thank you because you got people involved in talking about the contest and hopefully reading new stories. Also, I think a lot more people are aware of me than before and as they say, 'There is no such thing as bad publicity.'

Hopefully in the future you will get to know me a little better and realize that I'm not some evil puppet-master. I'm just somebody who is passionate about what I write and that translates to my readers being passionate about my story.
 
With mutual celebration and respect to all nominated in the last few weeks, to all those voted by the readers over the entire year, congratulations.

I have contemplated the title for the award for Most Influential Author ever since the surprise of being nominated, ever since making the final cut, and even now. The one thing that kept returning to my mind was that the influence goes both ways for me. It's personal and reaffirming that I'm effecting others positively, and I think that is where I may gratefully accept the title with humility.

It's easy to say I've influenced readers not only because they've told me I have but also in that they've supported me in action far beyond read-clicks. More importantly, I've felt in return their influence, the experience of earning a positive and supporting fanbase and watching it grow, being close enough to it to see I can make a few lives better just doing what I was doing.

I have felt the influence of finding those precious few who somehow added to the entire project just being authentic with me, and whose friendship, inspiration, and votes of confidence only made the story better for everyone, better than I could ever have done alone. They made me want to try harder because I had more to give, and they challenged me to see what I could do. Long before this contest, they rewarded my efforts, as I did theirs.

The story wouldn't exist as it does without the readers. It would still be a masturbatory short story on my hard drive with a heavy squick factor. It has become so much more, gave purpose to existing darkness; the fantasy epic I always wanted to write. For this experience, I am deeply humbled and honored for all we have done together.

All that remains is to give it that satisfying ending I've promised. ^_^

Thank you.
 
Congratulations to everyone involved in the annual awards. You guys all rawk! :D
 
Doubt many will be viewing this at this point, but I'd like to suggest a new category for next year.

How about something for the Mods? These people volunteer their time to try to keep the rules and peace and many of them have to deal with a lot of crap.

We think arguing and flaming, but the fetish mod and some of the others have to spend all day deleting under age threads and people who keep violating the picture rules

Its not easy and often thankless as people are always pissed at them.

So maybe next year people could show the good ones some props.
 
Thanks so much, Laurel and Manu. The gift certificate came at a time when I was financially busted and wondering if volunteer editing was worth it when I work full time in a job where I come home feeling like I've been beat up too many days. I've started a new editing project (because my VE profile refuses to be disabled), and the story and the author were just too good to refuse. :eek:

:rose:
 
Doubt many will be viewing this at this point, but I'd like to suggest a new category for next year.

How about something for the Mods? These people volunteer their time to try to keep the rules and peace and many of them have to deal with a lot of crap.

We think arguing and flaming, but the fetish mod and some of the others have to spend all day deleting under age threads and people who keep violating the picture rules

Its not easy and often thankless as people are always pissed at them.

So maybe next year people could show the good ones some props.

Short-sightedness. That's what it is. Let's face it. The contest is going to be one sided with Laurel or the Fetish and sexuality's Mod coming on top. If you're bitching about how unfair this contest was, you'd lose your mind when you see people taking sides behind the mods they hang out with.

Then I'll be here, sitting, eating popcorn and watching round two of your petty bitchfights.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top