The Makeup Fairy Returns!

Good Summerjam, ladies, it's your girl Satin The Makeup Fairy for another lesson!

Lord have mercy, it is so hot here that it feels like I could roast a chicken on my car hood. Let me tell you that the makeup meltdowns in this heat can be frightening! But that's going to be another episode. ;)

So! One of the things that I get asked a lot in person is "Why does my face look white in flash photography?"

Well, the answer (and prevention) of that, my chickadees, is sitting in your foundation! SPF cosmetics are the worst offenders, because the Zinc Oxide contained in them (which is the ingredient that blocks UV rays and reflects light) is what captures and reflects flash back onto your pictures. "High Definition" powders, when used heavy-handedly, can also lead to pallid complexions.

So how can you stop from looking like you just saw a ghost in every shot? Well, make sure that your foundation, concealer and powder contain no SPF and also look at your primers, moisturizers and serums that you may use UNDER your makeup. They can contain Zinc Oxide in sufficient amounts to make that "mask-like" appearance. Obviously you need SPF for everyday use, you certainly don't want sun damage while you're running errands, so try and have a "photographs only" set of inexpensive cosmetics set aside in your kit to have on-hand for picture day.

Now High Definition powders can be tricky. Even professionals can get a little too carried away in their application, as seen below on the lovely Nicole below:

Nicole-Kidman-White-Powder-Make-Up-Malfunction-Photos.jpg

The best way to use them without looking like you're Tony Montana is to apply them with a powder puff in a "pressing/rolling" motion, then dusting off every last micron of excess powder with a large fluffy brush, taking extra care in the spots around your eyes and nose where the natural contours of your face can literally grab onto the powder and not let go. It's hard to tell when you've used too much "in person" as it were, but a solid once-over with a powder brush should remove any offending powder traces that might show up in your pictures. And barring that...well, there's always photoshop! :D

So, there you have it, ladies and gents, if you have any questions about the products or techniques listed above, my email is always open for you! Stay tuned for the next round of Makeup Tips, Tricks and Downright Effing Miracles!

Last edited:
Do you have an opinion of the "no-no" hair remover?

As a matter of fact, I do.

Now please note that I am in no way affiliated with any product or company nor have I tested the no-no personally. This is just a report of what I've seen in the No-No products lifetime.

For those of you who live under a rock, or choose not to watch TV (who would do that?!:D) the "No-No" hair removal device promised pain-free, mess-free, gentle and permanent hair removal from your face and body in the comfort and privacy of your own home. Now for a while, the product was listed in Sephora's exclusive website, which for anyone who follows that sort of thing, that's sort of like a Grammy's for beauty products.

Well, once the No-No started getting 'big', a lot of scary reviews started coming in.

These are just a tiiiiny sample of the reviews I saw on this product:

**WARNING: THIS PRODUCT IS GARBAGE & THE COMPANY IS VERY SHADY!!!!!!
I received my NoNo, charged it, watched the video, and promptly received second degree burns all over my hands. (Luckily, I tested it on my fingers instead of my face!!) I had extremely painful blistering after using the item ON THE LOWEST SETTING! And no hair removal! The burning smell was my SKIN! Trust me when I say that I had some serious problems trying to return the item.

**What a terrible, terrible item. Purchased this primarily for 12-20 stubborn dark chin hairs on my fair headed self. Other facial hair, at 54, is medium peach fuzz that shaving 1 or 2 times of year takes care of. Also have medium to heavy amount of very light hair on my arms and thought I would just give this a thorough workout during the trial. It's been about 10 days, but it is going back. I have some very mild burns on my face (followed instructions meticulously), it doesn't even do a good thorough job on the peach fuzz. When it singes the hairs on the face, it makes some of the light ones get dark at the base so it looks even worse. No, I am not going to use the buff on my face, but pulling the dark hairs after they have been singed (burned) is tough. It seems that the skin tightens around the base of the signed hairs. It ends up that it looked worse after than before leaving some of the burned off hairs with a dark, burned top just at skin level. It is really hard to do the upper lip. The ladies (shysters, crooks) in the demo must not have the unit on when they are doing this on their upper lips. The instructions are explicit, "do not go over an area more than 3 times and do not allow it to come in contact with the lips. This makes it impossible to get most of the upper lip area. And, it is the same as elsewhere, hit and miss, with some (a lot) of the treated hairs looking darker. Even if you shaved after using this, there would be some blackened hair bases showing, yuck.

Speaking of yuck, if you got a house full of guests and you want to clear them out, try this! Excuse me, "a little burning hair smell". It stinks. If you don't shower and scrub right after, the smell stays on your skin and you'll notice it when you rub it. Had to run an air cleaner in the room and seriously thought the smoke alarm might go off. All this, and I am not really hairy! On my legs, what did come off was not as good as a clean shave with one of the new multiple blade razors, I tend to like the razor with the battery that vibrates the blade, clean shave with rarely a nick. Failed and then some on every application.

**This product is a piece of garbage. I ordered directly from the website, making the horrible mistake of not checking reviews here first. The first time I tried the Nono, it actually worked pretty well. After that first time, I could never get it to duplicate the results. It simply glided over most of the hair without doing anything. I had to go over the hairs numerous times to get them to burn off even a little bit. Still yet, it left behind stubble.

The only thing that actually works is the small buffing pad they include. This is what actually removes the hair. Basically, you're paying all that money for a nice buffer. You can get an even better buffer that comes with replacement pads at Wal-mart for seven bucks (the Smooth Away kit, which isn't perfect but at least it's cheap).

What angered me the most about this product (even more than the fact that it didn't work), was the shoddy way the company deals with returns. When I called the number to tell them I was returning it (a required step, in order to get your "return number"), I was interrogated by a male operator who asked for uncomfortably intimate details on exactly where and how I used my Nono, how often I used it, what the results were, etc. He may as well have asked for photos. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly eager to explicitly discuss my unwanted body hair with some random man over the phone.

Once that was over, I mailed back my Nono. As I usually do with returns that cost more than a few dollars, I sent it by certified mail that required their signature, so that I would have proof that they received it. Considering how shady this company is, I'm glad I did. They sent me an email verifying that they received and told me to wait a few weeks for the return to show up on my credit card statement.

When the return did eventually show up, I noticed that they had refunded only TWO, out of the THREE payments they charged. In other words, they had cheated me out of $73. When I called them to straighten this out, they informed me that the third installment of the refund had "bounced back" because the bank/credit card had seen it as a duplicate. The infuriating thing about this is that they were WELL AWARE that the refund had bounced back and were going to keep their mouths shut and pray that I wouldn't notice.

If you bought this product and decide to return it, prepare for a lengthy battle to get your money back. Check your statements carefully. God only knows how many people they've ripped off this way simply because those people don't keep a tight watch on their statements (I didn't even notice the problem with the refund until a few weeks after it happened).

This product is a joke. Shame on you, Nono. SHAME!

After just a few weeks, Sephora PULLED the No-No from their site and has not listed it again.

So, buyer beware. Most of the reviews are bad. It seems at best you get nothing, and at worst, you could receive some very expensive second degree burns.

In my opinion, this isn't worth the money. The product looks like a scam and the company seems extra shady when dealing with returns.

Many thanks, dear!

It's my pleasure suge! :heart:

As a side note, I have a wonderful money-saving secret for all of you wonderful Fairy Fans!

ELF website is doing a great offer, y'all. It's the BEST time of the year to buy so far. Free shipping plus 8 bucks off on orders 30$ and over.

If you need to stock up on mineral makeup, primer, eyeliners and lipglosses, NOW is the time!

Use the code BD8SHIP.

As a side note, I do not work for nor am I affiliated with ELF in any way. I just love their products, especially their mineral line, and y'all know I always love saving my makeup mavens a dollar or two! :D

This offer ends on the 30th of this month (July) so don't wait!

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I do.

Now please note that I am in no way affiliated with any product or company nor have I tested the no-no personally. This is just a report of what I've seen in the No-No products lifetime.

For those of you who live under a rock, or choose not to watch TV (who would do that?!:D) the "No-No" hair removal device promised pain-free, mess-free, gentle and permanent hair removal from your face and body in the comfort and privacy of your own home. Now for a while, the product was listed in Sephora's exclusive website, which for anyone who follows that sort of thing, that's sort of like a Grammy's for beauty products.

Well, once the No-No started getting 'big', a lot of scary reviews started coming in.

These are just a tiiiiny sample of the reviews I saw on this product:

**WARNING: THIS PRODUCT IS GARBAGE & THE COMPANY IS VERY SHADY!!!!!!
I received my NoNo, charged it, watched the video, and promptly received second degree burns all over my hands. (Luckily, I tested it on my fingers instead of my face!!) I had extremely painful blistering after using the item ON THE LOWEST SETTING! And no hair removal! The burning smell was my SKIN! Trust me when I say that I had some serious problems trying to return the item.

**What a terrible, terrible item. Purchased this primarily for 12-20 stubborn dark chin hairs on my fair headed self. Other facial hair, at 54, is medium peach fuzz that shaving 1 or 2 times of year takes care of. Also have medium to heavy amount of very light hair on my arms and thought I would just give this a thorough workout during the trial. It's been about 10 days, but it is going back. I have some very mild burns on my face (followed instructions meticulously), it doesn't even do a good thorough job on the peach fuzz. When it singes the hairs on the face, it makes some of the light ones get dark at the base so it looks even worse. No, I am not going to use the buff on my face, but pulling the dark hairs after they have been singed (burned) is tough. It seems that the skin tightens around the base of the signed hairs. It ends up that it looked worse after than before leaving some of the burned off hairs with a dark, burned top just at skin level. It is really hard to do the upper lip. The ladies (shysters, crooks) in the demo must not have the unit on when they are doing this on their upper lips. The instructions are explicit, "do not go over an area more than 3 times and do not allow it to come in contact with the lips. This makes it impossible to get most of the upper lip area. And, it is the same as elsewhere, hit and miss, with some (a lot) of the treated hairs looking darker. Even if you shaved after using this, there would be some blackened hair bases showing, yuck.

Speaking of yuck, if you got a house full of guests and you want to clear them out, try this! Excuse me, "a little burning hair smell". It stinks. If you don't shower and scrub right after, the smell stays on your skin and you'll notice it when you rub it. Had to run an air cleaner in the room and seriously thought the smoke alarm might go off. All this, and I am not really hairy! On my legs, what did come off was not as good as a clean shave with one of the new multiple blade razors, I tend to like the razor with the battery that vibrates the blade, clean shave with rarely a nick. Failed and then some on every application.

**This product is a piece of garbage. I ordered directly from the website, making the horrible mistake of not checking reviews here first. The first time I tried the Nono, it actually worked pretty well. After that first time, I could never get it to duplicate the results. It simply glided over most of the hair without doing anything. I had to go over the hairs numerous times to get them to burn off even a little bit. Still yet, it left behind stubble.

The only thing that actually works is the small buffing pad they include. This is what actually removes the hair. Basically, you're paying all that money for a nice buffer. You can get an even better buffer that comes with replacement pads at Wal-mart for seven bucks (the Smooth Away kit, which isn't perfect but at least it's cheap).

What angered me the most about this product (even more than the fact that it didn't work), was the shoddy way the company deals with returns. When I called the number to tell them I was returning it (a required step, in order to get your "return number"), I was interrogated by a male operator who asked for uncomfortably intimate details on exactly where and how I used my Nono, how often I used it, what the results were, etc. He may as well have asked for photos. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly eager to explicitly discuss my unwanted body hair with some random man over the phone.

Once that was over, I mailed back my Nono. As I usually do with returns that cost more than a few dollars, I sent it by certified mail that required their signature, so that I would have proof that they received it. Considering how shady this company is, I'm glad I did. They sent me an email verifying that they received and told me to wait a few weeks for the return to show up on my credit card statement.

When the return did eventually show up, I noticed that they had refunded only TWO, out of the THREE payments they charged. In other words, they had cheated me out of $73. When I called them to straighten this out, they informed me that the third installment of the refund had "bounced back" because the bank/credit card had seen it as a duplicate. The infuriating thing about this is that they were WELL AWARE that the refund had bounced back and were going to keep their mouths shut and pray that I wouldn't notice.

If you bought this product and decide to return it, prepare for a lengthy battle to get your money back. Check your statements carefully. God only knows how many people they've ripped off this way simply because those people don't keep a tight watch on their statements (I didn't even notice the problem with the refund until a few weeks after it happened).

This product is a joke. Shame on you, Nono. SHAME!

After just a few weeks, Sephora PULLED the No-No from their site and has not listed it again.

So, buyer beware. Most of the reviews are bad. It seems at best you get nothing, and at worst, you could receive some very expensive second degree burns.

In my opinion, this isn't worth the money. The product looks like a scam and the company seems extra shady when dealing with returns.

A word of warning, almost anything that claims you can quickly and easily remove unwanted hair permanently at home is going to be fraudulent, whether it claims to be at home electrolysis, at home 'laser' hair removal, they are going to be junk, pure and simply. For home use, the best things might be waxing or epilators, but they aren't permanent, but they do tend to have the hair grow back lighter.

The only way to permanently remove hair is going to be either electrolysis or laser hair removal, and of the two, laser hair removal is more problematic, in that it doesn't always deliver permanent results. The FDA still only says laser hair removal is 'permanent reduction' in hair, which is not the same thing as permanent removal, which only needle electrolysis does. If you have just some hairs on the face or a 'mustache' kind of thing, I would recommend the needle, it takes longer, but it will eventually get all of it and it won't return.

Laser is semi permanent but has come down far enough in cost it may be worth trying, though you still will prob need to go back regularly, it does seem to reduce the amount of hair in some way, so at the least it will make keeping up with what you do have easier. Some people have better luck with laser, others not so much (lot of trans girls insisted that laser was the way to go, and some of them post op were still getting laser treatments on their faces or having to shave....).

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I'm a tomboy and I'm trying to branch out with my makeup skills - I've gotten foundation and lips to my liking, but I'm still in a bit of a quandary about the rest. When I do my own eye makeup (eye shadow and sometimes a pencil eyeliner) I have a great deal of trouble getting both eyes looking alike - one typically looks semi-okay, and the other.. well, these days I try to stop before I look like I've lost a round with a boxer. Do you have any tips on how to help make eye makeup symmetrical?

Thank you!

One Eyed Tomboy

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I'm a tomboy and I'm trying to branch out with my makeup skills - I've gotten foundation and lips to my liking, but I'm still in a bit of a quandary about the rest. When I do my own eye makeup (eye shadow and sometimes a pencil eyeliner) I have a great deal of trouble getting both eyes looking alike - one typically looks semi-okay, and the other.. well, these days I try to stop before I look like I've lost a round with a boxer. Do you have any tips on how to help make eye makeup symmetrical?

Thank you!

One Eyed Tomboy

Dear One-Eye,

You poor thing. Eyeliner can be tricky, especially to cosmetic N00bs!

I totally understand your quandary, though. Symmetry is very important when it comes to beauty. Scientists often say that the people with the most symmetrical faces are the most attractive, so it's important to be careful and balance your makeup!

I suggest getting a large stand mirror, a lighted one would be ideal but in this economy, a nice cheap one with a bar on the back to prop it up would be fine.

You want to get a mirror like this so that you can see your whole face while applying makeup, which is key not only in symmetrical application but also balancing eyes and lips.

One of the techniques I use to keep symmetrical is...instead of doing one eye at a time to completion, take each step at a time on both eyes...ala, concealer, powder, primer, pencil liner, shadow, highlighter, liquid liner, mascara, false lashes, etc.

After each step, check in the large mirror for symmetry. Correct for mistakes after each step. It will take you a little while longer at first, but once you get used to it, you'll find that your speed will improve and you will be able to apply with fewer and fewer mistakes! Practicing at night before bed is a great way to get used to application, since you're about to wash your face anyway, who cares if you make mistakes?! :D

If you're having an issue with raccoon eyes, I suggest getting a soft angled blending brush and blending out the eyeshadow under your eyes very thoroughly. Here's a good example of a fantastic eyeshadow blending brush:

Faces106EyeshadowBlendingBrush-2.jpg

These soft "fluffy" brushes remove excess eyeshadow and blur the pigment, giving the effect of a "Gaussian Blur", for my art nerds out there. This will greatly soften the look and prevent raccoon eyes. Also, try using a lighter colored liner. For instance, if you're using black, switch to dark grey or brown, navy, or eggplant. A slightly lighter color of eyeliner can give you the lined look you like without being too harsh. Lighter colors of eyeliner are really great for fair-skinned girls as well!

My favorite colored liner is definitely eggplant, it's incredibly versatile and flattering on just about anyone! Here's an example of eggplant liner that might give you an idea of how to use liner without looking like someone socked you in the eye!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/umeblogs/Beauty/SDC12473.jpg

Also, remember that you don't -have- to put any makeup at all under your eyes! You can just do all your application on the upper lid, and leave the lower lid bare. This is a very popular look, especially in the "pin up" style of makeup, where there is a thick line of black liner, false lashes, and little to no makeup on the lower lid!

Here's a great example of what it can look like!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wannabewitch/2715090947/

So, I hope this helps suge. Let me know if you need anything else! :heart:

Last edited:
I can sympathize!

Dear Make-Up Fairy,

Can we talk about discontinued products?

My favourite lip-colour has been discontinued (boo-urns), and now that I found a suitable replacement - not the same, a bit lighter with the pigments, but very very good and I like it - I've heard that it might be discontinued. Sigh.

Same goes for my very favourite eyeshadows. I finished the pots, luckily I bought another one that should last me another year and after that, I'm shit out of luck of finding one that is similar. And this one took me years to find, and a while to perfect that look that was at once understated, classic and yet had an element of elegant whimsy and some ethereal sensuality (in other words, a look that was me). After this one is gone, I can start all over.

And we will not go with my favourite moisturizer. It was perfect - people commented on how wonderful my skin looked and asked me what type of foundation I was wearing (I wasn't), the reviews were wonderful, there was a fan club and now it's gone, much to the chagrin to many. I'm using something else that was recommended to me that is similar for the same type of skin, but it's not quite the same.

So my question is: what gives? And how can I avoid this in the future and/or find something comparable? I'm not in the mood to spend money on test driving make-up that I'll use maybe three times. It's wasting time, money and products, which I loathe, so when I find something I like, I really use it. Is there a surefire way to find something similar?

And thank you for letting me vent!

Satin,
I have a few questions as well. And wow can I sympathize wth Firebreeze.
It has become a running joke at my house, the minute I find a product I love, it's discontinued. :(

Maybe you can discuss this and maybe it'll help FB, my very most favorite lipstick was discontinued and I was able to pick it up on e-bay for awhile. Then I decided to check out google shopping and found - the product is still available and being sold in GB and AU. I don't mind purchasing from "across the pond" assuming the ingredients and quality are the same. Do you have any thoughts on that?

The most devastating thing for me though was when I found the contact lenses I was wearing for 10 years had been discontinued. And they were an icy blue color, everyone thought that was my natural eye color and I'd matched my makeup to that forever! When I saw a recent post by you that said you'd done professional production work, I wondered - maybe you know a source for a replacement. The clincher here is - they were TORIC lenses, not just your average soft lenses. BUT my eye doc actually showed me how I can layer contact lenses, I COULD put an icy blue under my clear toric's and that'd work. But sometimes they stick together and torics are expensive.

The look I'm looking for - I've recently seen pics of Carmen Electra & Alison Sweeny with a silvery blue eye color, I don't THINK it's natural but I could be wrong. My eyes are blue naturally but not that electric icy blue.

And another thing - I was in a thrift store yesterday afternoon - they already have their cashmere out! And a woman said to me - "and you KNOW Monday is Senior Day - seniors get a discount". Please tell me she wasn't telling me I look like a senior. I mean I felt like crap but oh lady, please! :eek::eek:

I wash my face twice a day with an apricot scrub and apply l'oreal revitalift double lifting along with aveeno positively ageless sunscreen (before makeup and before bedtime). I like the idea of the Olay resurfacing microdermabrasion products, your thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise with us :rose:at my house we use everything from ELF to L'Oreal to Estee but I too had experience with MAC and wasn't terribly impressed.

Thanks again Satindesire!

I never realised people actually cared this much about their lipstick and eyeshadow shades.

I know, right?:eek:
My issue with this specific shade of lipstick is that it complimented my skin tone, it had blue undertones so it made my teeth look even whiter, it made my eyes look bluer and it felt good and tasted good, it lasted longer than some. And it was around $5 per tube. Can't beat that!
And I have a background in art so I view my face as a blank canvas, if you will.
Does that help?

Maybe you can discuss this and maybe it'll help FB, my very most favorite lipstick was discontinued and I was able to pick it up on e-bay for awhile. Then I decided to check out google shopping and found - the product is still available and being sold in GB and AU. I don't mind purchasing from "across the pond" assuming the ingredients and quality are the same. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Dear Mother I'd like to Makeover, ;)

First off, can I say WHERE DID THE SUMMER GO!? We've had a week long bout of rain and weather of 60 and 70 degrees! It feels like fall already and my new beauty routine just isn't cutting it for this season. We are GOING to have a massive fall makeover blowout here on the Makeup Fairy Thread, for all my mavens, vixens, ladies and gentlepervs, and fans of the Your Fairy Godmother.

Now, to MILM,

Hullo Dahlink, I vuld luff to chelp you! :D

Buying cosmetics oversees isn't something a lot of women do, generally speaking because they are afraid that the ingredients are different, to a point where the formulation, pigmentation and texture might be completely different than what they're used to!

Some women are also afraid that the FDA here in the States somehow regulates the products and guarantees their safety and "wholesomeness".

Well let me put those common beauty myths to a rest (Because that's just how we roll here!) Big-brand cosmetics companies like Neutrogena, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Chanel, and yes, even Mac are usually "mass produced" in large bulk batches, packaged up and sent just about everywhere, from factories all over the world! You might buy your Revlon lipstick in Indiana, but it could come from a factory in the US, Pakistan or Italy! In extremely high-volume oversees areas, the cosmetics can differ slightly, and in fact they often do! But largely, the makeup will smell, feel, taste, go on and look exactly like American brands, so you can purchase with confidence!

Now, as to the FDA supposedly "safeguarding" cosmetics here in the states, here's a big (BUZZER SOUND!) Nope! Sorry peeps, but the FDA totes does NOT! Generally speaking, they stay out of cosmetics manufacturers hair unless they make misleading claims (hello to every mascara commercial EVER!) or if they accidentally slip in some rat poison in your favorite rouge and a bunch of Broadway performers sudden kick rocks in the middle of Hello Dolly! from using it...But you can see that the FDA is basically a lot of window dressing and not a lot of work when it comes to makeup.

THAT IS WHY, children, responsible makeup lovers ALWAYS check the ingredient list, search the company background and READ ONLINE REVIEWS before using new products. There's a saying out there that goes "You can never be too rich or too skinny." but I'd like to add "or too safe!" When it comes to what you put on your face (or on someone else's face!) you gotta do the footwork yourself!

So, read read read and get to researching, ladies. Make sure that the next glitter eyeshadow you purchase doesn't contain and ground-up kitten or anything. That would suck.

The most devastating thing for me though was when I found the contact lenses I was wearing for 10 years had been discontinued. And they were an icy blue color, everyone thought that was my natural eye color and I'd matched my makeup to that forever! When I saw a recent post by you that said you'd done professional production work, I wondered - maybe you know a source for a replacement. The clincher here is - they were TORIC lenses, not just your average soft lenses. BUT my eye doc actually showed me how I can layer contact lenses, I COULD put an icy blue under my clear toric's and that'd work. But sometimes they stick together and torics are expensive.

The look I'm looking for - I've recently seen pics of Carmen Electra & Alison Sweeny with a silvery blue eye color, I don't THINK it's natural but I could be wrong. My eyes are blue naturally but not that electric icy blue.

Here's the short and sweet answer for you suge...Custom contacts are the way to go! If you're looking for something truly unique and you just can't find it anywhere else, this company CAN help you.

http://www.customcontacts.com/lens-consultation

And another thing - I was in a thrift store yesterday afternoon - they already have their cashmere out! And a woman said to me - "and you KNOW Monday is Senior Day - seniors get a discount". Please tell me she wasn't telling me I look like a senior. I mean I felt like crap but oh lady, please! :eek::eek:

I wash my face twice a day with an apricot scrub and apply l'oreal revitalift double lifting along with aveeno positively ageless sunscreen (before makeup and before bedtime). I like the idea of the Olay resurfacing microdermabrasion products, your thoughts?

Since your age wasn't listed (you sly minx!) I can't tell you -exactly- what my recommendations are for switching up your skincare routine. I do like the fact that you're exfoliating regularly, since that's extremely important for cell turnover and prevention of clogged pores, and I love the fact that you're wearing sunscreen on the regs. However, you do NOT have to wear sunscreen at night (unless you live in Alaska and sleep outside. Brr!:D) so I recommend switching to a super-moisturizing Night Cream loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C. If you can manage to find one with Retinol too, that would be great! There's one on the market with all those things that may or may not be in your price range, but it has amazing reviews!

http://www.hsn.com/beauty/signature...sport-c-infused-night-creme_p-5776009_xp.aspx

One of the ways we show our age is our eyes. A good anti-wrinkle eye cream can really prevent the wrinkles we already have from getting worse, and prevent new ones from cropping up!

http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/skin/2010/neutrogena-ageless-intensives-wrinkle-eye-cream

This one has really good reviews as well, and as you can see, is highly affordable!

About the range of Olay products, like the microdermabrasion kits you mentioned? I've heard nothing but good things about them, and regular microdermabrasion is one of the BEST ways we can treat and prevent the signs of aging, not JUST wrinkles, but ALL of them! So I say, go for it!

So. Switch up your night routine with some products specifically targeting any problem areas, and you should see significant results in about 6-8 weeks! Come back and let us know if this helped. ;)

Last edited:
Dear Mother I'd like to Makeover, ;)
Now, to MILM,

Hullo Dahlink, I vuld luff to chelp you! :D

Buying cosmetics oversees isn't something a lot of women do, generally speaking because they are afraid that the ingredients are different, to a point where the formulation, pigmentation and texture might be completely different than what they're used to!

Some women are also afraid that the FDA here in the States somehow regulates the products and guarantees their safety and "wholesomeness".

Well let me put those common beauty myths to a rest (Because that's just how we roll here!) Big-brand cosmetics companies like Neutrogena, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Chanel, and yes, even Mac are usually "mass produced" in large bulk batches, packaged up and sent just about everywhere, from factories all over the world! You might buy your Revlon lipstick in Indiana, but it could come from a factory in the US, Pakistan or Italy! In extremely high-volume oversees areas, the cosmetics can differ slightly, and in fact they often do! But largely, the makeup will smell, feel, taste, go on and look exactly like American brands, so you can purchase with confidence!

Now, as to the FDA supposedly "safeguarding" cosmetics here in the states, here's a big (BUZZER SOUND!) Nope! Sorry peeps, but the FDA totes does NOT! Generally speaking, they stay out of cosmetics manufacturers hair unless they make misleading claims (hello to every mascara commercial EVER!) or if they accidentally slip in some rat poison in your favorite rouge and a bunch of Broadway performers sudden kick rocks in the middle of Hello Dolly! from using it...But you can see that the FDA is basically a lot of window dressing and not a lot of work when it comes to makeup.

THAT IS WHY, children, responsible makeup lovers ALWAYS check the ingredient list, search the company background and READ ONLINE REVIEWS before using new products. There's a saying out there that goes "You can never be too rich or too skinny." but I'd like to add "or too safe!" When it comes to what you put on your face (or on someone else's face!) you gotta do the footwork yourself!

So, read read read and get to researching, ladies. Make sure that the next glitter eyeshadow you purchase doesn't contain and ground-up kitten or anything. That would suck.

Here's the short and sweet answer for you suge...Custom contacts are the way to go! If you're looking for something truly unique and you just can't find it anywhere else, this company CAN help you.

http://www.customcontacts.com/lens-consultation

Since your age wasn't listed (you sly minx!) I can't tell you -exactly- what my recommendations are for switching up your skincare routine. I do like the fact that you're exfoliating regularly, since that's extremely important for cell turnover and prevention of clogged pores, and I love the fact that you're wearing sunscreen on the regs. However, you do NOT have to wear sunscreen at night (unless you live in Alaska and sleep outside. Brr!:D) so I recommend switching to a super-moisturizing Night Cream loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C. If you can manage to find one with Retinol too, that would be great! There's one on the market with all those things that may or may not be in your price range, but it has amazing reviews!

http://www.hsn.com/beauty/signature...sport-c-infused-night-creme_p-5776009_xp.aspx

One of the ways we show our age is our eyes. A good anti-wrinkle eye cream can really prevent the wrinkles we already have from getting worse, and prevent new ones from cropping up!

http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/skin/2010/neutrogena-ageless-intensives-wrinkle-eye-cream

This one has really good reviews as well, and as you can see, is highly affordable!

About the range of Olay products, like the microdermabrasion kits you mentioned? I've heard nothing but good things about them, and regular microdermabrasion is one of the BEST ways we can treat and prevent the signs of aging, not JUST wrinkles, but ALL of them! So I say, go for it!

So. Switch up your night routine with some products specifically targeting any problem areas, and you should see significant results in about 6-8 weeks! Come back and let us know if this helped. ;)

What a great bunch of information, where, oh where do I start? Love the "name' MILM, btw, lovely spin.

I dropped the sunscreen at night (duh, me!), what WAS I thinking, you would have thought I would have given that a second thought when i TYPED it, feel better about it. I switched to Garnier something since the nearest drugstore was out of the Revitalift and whoa, I broke out like a 15 year old boy in puberty. Drove the extra three miles to Target to get the other stuff but you might enjoy this, I'm using the Garnier on my hands to keep THEM youthful!

The custom contacts? LOVED that idea, was thinking about checking out New York in the spring and then saw... for some reason they don't do them for those with astigmatisms. I wear toric lenses, it wont work for me. I'm getting accustomed to normal old blue eyes. They're actually quite pretty (I'm told!).

Oh and you noticed how I avoided the age question? I'll tell you what I told SweetErika, I'm old enough to be.. um, your um... older sister. Old enough to be very interesting in products that include the words "positively ageless" in the name!

I have had, in the past, reactions to sunscreens and products that contain them, you haven't LIVED until you've applied a new lipstick or mascara and ended up in the Emergency Room because your eyes or your throat is swelling shut. That's why I'm particularly conscious and careful about what I use and why I guess I have a tendency to stick to a certain product when I find one I like and that likes me.

And I love all of your recommendations and advice, truly! I'm going to try the anti aging eye cream to prevent wrinkles from creeping up, I am surprised that I haven't had a problem with wrinkles, really (or maybe it's genetics and good skin care). When/if you have a moment, I have two other questions but they're not a huge concern. My lovely daughter is taking an interest in make-up and has asked for a GOOD set of make-up brushes for Christmas. Recommedations? And.. I'll accept the fact that my eyes are "just blue" if maybe you can help me determine what eye shadows/colors will make them really POP? I've seen a couple articles that suggest gold and apricot but I guess because of my skin tone (reddish) it's difficult for me to wear that pallette.

Thanks Dahlink, you're simply the best!:rose::rose:

In what order should skin care products be applied?

My current daytime routine is as follows: cleanser, wrinkle cream , moisturizer (which already has an spf of 15), sunscreen and then minerals makeup. My nighttime routine is the same, changing out the daytime formulas for night ones, and forgoing the sunscreen and makeup. I've also read somewhere that I should be using toner, but I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to do and I'm not convinced that I really need it.

Thoughts?

In what order should skin care products be applied?

My current daytime routine is as follows: cleanser, wrinkle cream , moisturizer (which already has an spf of 15), sunscreen and then minerals makeup. My nighttime routine is the same, changing out the daytime formulas for night ones, and forgoing the sunscreen and makeup. I've also read somewhere that I should be using toner, but I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to do and I'm not convinced that I really need it.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry I don't have a more elaborate answer for you suge, but it's just this:

Thinnest products first, thickest last.

It's not so much type that counts as texture. :)

Also, if you want to use toner you certainly can, but oily, acne prone and prone-to-redness skin benefits the most from it. If you're none of those three, you can probably skip it with no harm. ^_^

When/if you have a moment, I have two other questions but they're not a huge concern. My lovely daughter is taking an interest in make-up and has asked for a GOOD set of make-up brushes for Christmas. Recommedations? And.. I'll accept the fact that my eyes are "just blue" if maybe you can help me determine what eye shadows/colors will make them really POP? I've seen a couple articles that suggest gold and apricot but I guess because of my skin tone (reddish) it's difficult for me to wear that pallette.

Thanks Dahlink, you're simply the best!:rose::rose:

Please take a look at my first Makeup Fairy thread post, "How to make Gray Eyes Pop!" and "How to make Blue Eyes Pop!"

http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=34584930&postcount=49
http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=34646257&postcount=60

For a very good set of makeup brushes that won't break your bank, check out ELF's line of Studio makeup brushes!

This set will give your aspiring beauty everything she'll need!

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/brushes/brush-sets/11_piece_brush_collection

I am, a natural redhead, and while I can find eyebrow pencil to give me eyebrows... every attempt at mascara falls dead. I have no lashes. Okay, I have them but they are invisible... I've tried a number of products, even the Just for Redheads line... but even with that... invisi-lashes.

I'm fundamentally opposed (largely because my dear dominant husband is) to anything as time consuming as false lashes so... is there anything new on the market that could help?

Thanks in advance!

I am, a natural redhead, and while I can find eyebrow pencil to give me eyebrows... every attempt at mascara falls dead. I have no lashes. Okay, I have them but they are invisible... I've tried a number of products, even the Just for Redheads line... but even with that... invisi-lashes.

I'm fundamentally opposed (largely because my dear dominant husband is) to anything as time consuming as false lashes so... is there anything new on the market that could help?

Thanks in advance!

Dear Down-in-the-dumps-about-my-stumps,

Latisse!

http://www.latisse.com/

The website has every inch of information you could need, but let me let the before and after pictures do most of the convincing:

latisse-before-after1.jpg

lety-12-week-latisse-lighting-fix.jpg

The only Con to this is the fact that Latisse might be prohibitively expensive, with costs differing between doctors/providers. I would advise you to buy in bulk (multiple bottles) in order to save money.

All of a sudden I have a "colic" where my hair is parted. It's JUST started. I've never had this problem before. It's like an inch or less long. I think maybe some hairs are just growing out but in the meantime I can't get it to stay down! I can drench my hair in the shower and get out and it's standing straight up. Any idea what I can use? I've tried 3 different products and the only one to work just leaves white flake crap in my hair within hours. :(

Last edited:
All of a sudden I have a "colic" where my hair is parted. It's JUST started. I've never had this problem before. It's like an inch or less long. I think maybe some hairs are just growing out but in the meantime I can't get it to stay down! I can drench my hair in the shower and get out and it's standing straight up. Any idea what I can use? I've tried 3 different products and the only one to work just leaves white flake crap in my hair within hours. :(

Dear Can't stand my Cowlick,

Before I advise you, I'd like to know a few things.

What products have you already tried? And what is your hair texture?

ELF is having free shipping on orders 25$ and over until 10/29.

Now's a great time to stock up on mineral foundation, high def-powder lip gloss and makeup brushes!

Hello Fairy Fans!

A Facebook question!

"How do you remove acrylic nails?"

I personally like to use the "Soak Off" method!

You can get acetone nail polish remover from any drugstore, Wal-Mart, Sally's Beauty Supply, etc.

You'll need ten pieces of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the entire tip of all of your fingers, enough to almost "double over", and ten large cotton balls. Soak all the cotton balls in the acetone nail polish remover until they're COMPLETELY saturated (read: Cannot hold any more liquid).

Gently place the wet cotton ball directly over your acrylic nail and then wrap the foil around it so that it presses the cotton ball over your nail. Repeat for all ten nails.

Wait at LEAST ten minutes (fifteen would be even better), then gently peel off the foil, trying to preserve the shape just in case you need to soak for a little longer.

Check how soft the acrylic is with a cuticle pusher or orange stick. If the acrylic is soft enough to be pushed off with slight pressure with the stick, then you can gently peel off as much as you can with the orange stick, then GENTLY buff off the rest with a nail block.

Make sure, after you're completely done, to wash your hands extremely thoroughly with hot soapy water and then liberally oil your natural nails with a very nourishing cuticle/nail oil in order to preserve their moisture barrier and prevent brittleness/cracking.

Here's a note, please bear this in mind!
Your own nails will be very soft after soaking in acetone so buff VERY. GENTLY. You don't want to hurt your natural nail plate with too-vigorous buffing. If the acrylic doesn't come right off very easily, soak longer!

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I recently received a sample of "BB Cream, the LATEST beauty trend from ASIA"... The sample girl waxed lyrical as to how I could put it on after washing my face, and it would act as a "tinted moisturiser, sunscreen and primer all in one". Is this all it's cracked up to be? If so, what should I be looking for in a BB Cream? Are there any tricks to using it?

Thank you!

BB Baffled.

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I recently received a sample of "BB Cream, the LATEST beauty trend from ASIA"... The sample girl waxed lyrical as to how I could put it on after washing my face, and it would act as a "tinted moisturiser, sunscreen and primer all in one". Is this all it's cracked up to be? If so, what should I be looking for in a BB Cream? Are there any tricks to using it?

Thank you!

BB Baffled.

I don't know if they're all they're cracked up to be, but I like them. I use the one from Garnier, mostly because I like the scent. Most foundations are too heavy for my tastes so I generally use tinted moisturizers. I haven't really noticed much difference between the BB and a regular tinted moisturizer yet, but I've only been using it for a couple of months and not daily at that. I have good skin, mostly because I was not a sun worshipper as a teen. Good genes help, too.

Back