A vignette challenge

I plan to close the challenge to new submissions in about 12 hours, unless someone PMs me with a last-minute plea for additional time.

OK, here's the scoop

16 poems

11 poets, to whit,

Magnetron
champagne1982
legerdemer
Angeline
AlwaysHungry
greenmountaineer
UnderYourSpell
Piscator
Minervous
Ishtat
GuiltyPleasure

Let the ID guessing begin, along with additional critiquing and re-writing. The re-written poems will be posted as I receive them, and author attributions will appear on March 31. What do you think -- should we vote on our favorites? We haven't done that in a long time. We could also have a "Miss Congeniality" vote, on the vignette that most closely resembles the style of GM without actually being GM's.

Last edited:
For those of you who have not yet sent me a revision, you have a week. Revisions are not mandatory, of course. But there has been a lull in activity on the challenge thread, and I'm trying to stir up trouble.

For those of you who have not yet sent me a revision, you have a week. Revisions are not mandatory, of course. But there has been a lull in activity on the challenge thread, and I'm trying to stir up trouble.

This Poem Stinks Of Skunk Ape

My neighbor, Gavin, is a yeti
but I have yet to regale the tale
give you a Gavin yeti vignette
regarding a Bigfoot or two
Would that make them Bigfeet?

All I know is
music blares way too loud
into the late night watches
while the squashes in my pumpkin patch
are often trampled by Sasquatches
whenever that damn Gavin is havin'
his block parties on my street

Last edited:
Only 5 more revising days until the outing. Is anyone interested in voting? Or is that now passé?

Good morning, Europeans. The poet identities are now visible at the bells and whistles.

Only 4 people voted, and here are the results:

Winner for best poem: "Cold" by GuiltyPleasure with 2 votes. Runners up: "Lichen on my mind" by Ishtat, and #3 by myself.

Winner for "most like GM without actually being by GM" -- #5 by Minervous with 2 votes. Runners up: #1 by UnderYourSpell, and #3 by myself.

Props to GM for faking out everyone else and writing something that did not strike anyone as GM-like (although had I not been privy to the author identities, I might have guessed his poem after the re-write and the introduction of Leighton.)

Good morning, Europeans. The poet identities are now visible at the bells and whistles.

Only 4 people voted, and here are the results:

Winner for best poem: "Cold" by GuiltyPleasure with 2 votes. Runners up: "Lichen on my mind" by Ishtat, and #3 by myself.

Winner for "most like GM without actually being by GM" -- #5 by Minervous with 2 votes. Runners up: #1 by UnderYourSpell, and #3 by myself.

Props to GM for faking out everyone else and writing something that did not strike anyone as GM-like (although had I not been privy to the author identities, I might have guessed his poem after the re-write and the introduction of Leighton.)

Thanks for doing this, AH. I admit to being somewhat devious in my submission, and after careful considerstion, I prefer "dirty socks," given all the editing I do, to Leighton's new ones.

GM, you done a mighty fine job of not imitiatimg GM. I like the Dirty Sock version better. But they so vastly different; you've now got yourself two poems there.

AH, this was a swell challenge. Though I may write from many different perspectives, until now I really haven't done much in the vignette style.

Thanks AH for an interesting challenge although like many, I'm still not sure what a vignette is. Ther are many good works here and some of the authors revealed were unexpected. Also good to see new/old authors returning to the challenge.

Thanks again, AH. The challenge went really well and produced so many good poems. And I really appreciated that there was ample time both at the first draft and rewrite stages.

Well done, poets!

I'd like to add my thanks, AH. A very interesting challenge.
I have to say gm is quite a bit better at not being himself than most of us are at trying to be him. 😆

I appreciated so many lovely poems this round. Though my guessing game ain't getting any better. I should stop trying, but it's too tempting.

A big thank you from me to AH too. I've been out of the loop lately and missed the voting. Many thanks to those who voted and congrats to all participants.

Best disguises.....UYS and gm..

I'd like to add my thanks, AH. A very interesting challenge.
I have to say gm is quite a bit better at not being himself than most of us are at trying to be him. 😆

I appreciated so many lovely poems this round. Though my guessing game ain't getting any better. I should stop trying, but it's too tempting.

A big thank you from me to AH too. I've been out of the loop lately and missed the voting. Many thanks to those who voted and congrats to all participants.

Best disguises.....UYS and gm..

I am floored at some poets' ability to sound like gm, and (like Mer) by gm's ability to not sound like himself lol.

I am not surprised by my continuing horrible batting average for guessing who wrote what. :confused:

A personal thanks to Guilty Pleasure. Any clarity in my revised effort is due to her helpful comment. The flaws remain my own.

I lost touch a bit with this one - my revision was written on the plane from Beijing, and I have barely spent more than a couple of days in one place since

This Poem Stinks Of Skunk Ape

My neighbor, Gavin, is a yeti
but I have yet to regale the tale
give you a Gavin yeti vignette
regarding a Bigfoot or two
Would that make them Bigfeet?

All I know is
music blares way too loud
into the late night watches
while the squashes in my pumpkin patch
are often trampled by Sasquatches
whenever that damn Gavin is havin'
his block parties on my street

Gavin makes a cameo appearance in my Summer Lovin' contest entry.

Back