The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite well, sweetheart, thank-you. I'm in the middle of a serious remodel of my shop and starting a new business. It should be right up your family's alley. I'm going to be importing early to midcentury shotguns from the UK, hopefully with the first shipment arriving late July or early August.

Anyway, I have four cabinets to build and then I can start on dining room chairs. When I've got a dozen of them finished, I'll start on rockers. Patience, Molly, I'll get there. ;)

Quite well, sweetheart, thank-you. I'm in the middle of a serious remodel of my shop and starting a new business. It should be right up your family's alley. I'm going to be importing early to midcentury shotguns from the UK, hopefully with the first shipment arriving late July or early August.

Anyway, I have four cabinets to build and then I can start on dining room chairs. When I've got a dozen of them finished, I'll start on rockers. Patience, Molly, I'll get there. ;)

Rocking chairs? What rocking chairs? Oh, wait. I seem to remember something about a promised chair . . . Made of wood, right?

I can't wait to see what kind of guns you come out with. Send me pics.

Isn't 'whiskey' bourbon and 'whisky' Scotch? I confuse so easily . . .

Whiskey is Irish, and whisky is Scotch. And I guess Bourbon is whiskey too, judging from Willie's bottle. (I was drinking Bowmore, which is whisky.) :)

Hullo, Molly! I think it might be a bit late, you might have gone already. Have a bacon sarnie and three fingers of Bowmore if not. :rose:.

Gosh, what a project, Bear! And haven't you only just finished a fine workbench? Any piccies?

Evening, Duchess. Would you like some coffee? One sugar?

Got a bit more done on my chapter. I should also get a blog post in about San Fran and Sonoma too, huh. :eek:

Evening, Duchess. Would you like some coffee? One sugar?

Got a bit more done on my chapter. I should also get a blog post in about San Fran and Sonoma too, huh. :eek:

Oh coffee would be so nice! Not that I'm hungover at all, of course ;). Not on bubbly and one glass of Bowmore, LOL.

That's great about the chapter. I would really like to read it if you did write about San Fran, yes and the cars, LOL. I enjoyed reading your blog, it was like going on holiday too. But sometimes life overtakes blogging, I know! I have a big waiting list of blogposts I have to write. :)

Whiskey is Irish, and whisky is Scotch. And I guess Bourbon is whiskey too, judging from Willie's bottle. (I was drinking Bowmore, which is whisky.) :)

There's so much confusion when it comes to Whisky and Whiskey. At one time, "Whiskey" was its own classification, referring to spirits distilled primarily from rye. Bourbon was made from corn, and Scotch was made from barley malt.

Today, pretty much only Scotch maintains strict standards of purity, being that it is made from barley. There's so much blurring between the lines when it comes to the distillation of whiskey and vodka that often it comes down to how it's aged. If it's aged in an oak barrel (or cask), and thus has that distinctive golden color, it's a whiskey.

Today's whiskeys are made from any number of ingredients. Rye, corn, potatoes . . . there's not as much distinction as there was more than a hundred years ago. Usually, American whiskeys are a blend of various ingredients designed to create a unique flavor. Some utilize such things as saffron, licorice, honey and various fruits (like blackberries and raspberries) and could almost be called brandies. But because the main ingredient is a distilled vegetable, it remains a whiskey.

The term "whisky" is mainly reserved for similar spirits produced in the UK, and is primarily just a naming convention. I imagine there would be quite a few whisky purists who would argue with me on that, though :p Still, you probably won't find a good Scotch "Whiskey" anywhere, and if it's spelled that way on the label, it's probably a bargain brand made in the USA. Scotch Whiskys are very serious about their names and ingredients. That's probably why I prefer Scotch over any other distilled spirit. The folks in the Highlands are more serious about their art. ;)

That said, I'm now in the mood for a good Speyside single malt. Glenfiddich, anyone? ;)

Oh coffee would be so nice! Not that I'm hungover at all, of course ;). Not on bubbly and one glass of Bowmore, LOL.

That's great about the chapter. I would really like to read it if you did write about San Fran, yes and the cars, LOL. I enjoyed reading your blog, it was like going on holiday too. But sometimes life overtakes blogging, I know! I have a big waiting list of blogposts I have to write. :)

Of course not. ;) (I assume you don't want me banging any pots and pans around while I clean the kitchen)

Well, the chapter is part 6 of my New Life series. But yes, I'll be sure to write about the raceway and San Fran. Ugh, do I really have to go back to work tomorrow? At least one of my co-workers has put in his two weeks so I'm going to see if I can snag his shift.

I'm a fan of Woodbridge Reserve bourbon and aged apple brandies. Both are expensive so my drinking is . . . sparing.

Anyway, if I can remember to take the camera with me (since I don't know how to transfer pictures from my phone) I'll be able to show off my bench. Mind, that's a big if. But for now . . .

Hey guys!

That's very helpful about the whisk/ey, Willie. I have a Lagavulin and some of the Bowmore here. Somebody finished off the Talisker - and left the bottle in the box on the shelf for someone-else to put in the recycling. :rolleyes:. :)eek::eek: I have to write Andy's whisky tutorial!)

Sorry about having to work, John, :rose: although at least it's only 2 days till Friday. I have to work on Saturday, only in the city centre, so not such a long day away this time.

Awww, Bear, you are so cute. I'm glad you drink sparingly cuz I wouldn't like you to wake up with a sore head. ;)

Hey guys!

That's very helpful about the whisk/ey, Willie. I have a Lagavulin and some of the Bowmore here. Somebody finished off the Talisker - and left the bottle in the box on the shelf for someone-else to put in the recycling. :rolleyes:. :)eek::eek: I have to write Andy's whisky tutorial!)

At one time, I owned more than thirty bottles of very good Scotch, probably in the vicinity of a few thousand dollars' worth of well-aged Highland liquor.

Alas . . . .

Let's just say that they met their ends in numerous appropriate ways. ;)

At one time, I owned more than thirty bottles of very good Scotch, probably in the vicinity of a few thousand dollars' worth of well-aged Highland liquor.

Alas . . . .

Let's just say that they met their ends in numerous appropriate ways. ;)

What was the alas for? That sounds like great fun! I usually have two or three around at any one time, and no other liquor on the shelf, LOL. Other liquor gets finished off pretty quickly but the single malt is meant to be sacred.

I belong to a Whisky Society, who bottle single cask whiskies. Actually, the taste of those is beyond the single malts, absolutely delicious and full of unexpected flavours. They sometimes run tasting evenings where you can compare six or seven whiskies before tottering home. What seems to make the difference is whether the whisky was matured in a sherry or other kind of cask. I was surprised how often we liked a whisky that was in a particular cask, rather than because it was a Speyside or Islay.

:)

What was the alas for? That sounds like great fun! I usually have two or three around at any one time, and no other liquor on the shelf, LOL. Other liquor gets finished off pretty quickly but the single malt is meant to be sacred.

I belong to a Whisky Society, who bottle single cask whiskies. Actually, the taste of those is beyond the single malts, absolutely delicious and full of unexpected flavours. They sometimes run tasting evenings where you can compare six or seven whiskies before tottering home. What seems to make the difference is whether the whisky was matured in a sherry or other kind of cask. I was surprised how often we liked a whisky that was in a particular cask, rather than because it was a Speyside or Islay.

:)

The 'alas' is because I wish I still had some of them. I had a really nice bottle of Oban that, at the time, went for about $200 USD, and a bottle of Highland Park worth about twice that, maybe more. Damn, were they good. The Highland Park was featured at my bachelor party way back when, and the Oban . . . I think I drank that by myself some time later.

A good whiskey tasting can be both boon and bane, I've learned. At first, it's all about the flavor and spice. Then, after a couple of hours, you don't care what you get. :p

The 'alas' is because I wish I still had some of them. I had a really nice bottle of Oban that, at the time, went for about $200 USD, and a bottle of Highland Park worth about twice that, maybe more. Damn, were they good. The Highland Park was featured at my bachelor party way back when, and the Oban . . . I think I drank that by myself some time later.

A good whiskey tasting can be both boon and bane, I've learned. At first, it's all about the flavor and spice. Then, after a couple of hours, you don't care what you get. :p

LOL, but later you know you said/thought the most amazing things. I love a good whisky toot with good friends, it's the best.

Wow, a Highland Park. Mmmmm, Highland Park. You should really try some of the single casks, tho', if you get a chance. They write hilarious tasting notes in the booklets, they only do that for fun, they call them things like: "boiled sweets on a bonfire" or "old wellies on the beach". I should think while they're tasting, they're just rolling around on the floor laughing and making these things up. Nobody who actually buys the bottles cares; they're all delicious.

It's been a while since I actually could buy a bottle, LOL! I just about keep up my membership, I prioritise it over academic associations, <snerk>.
:rose:

LOL, but later you know you said/thought the most amazing things. I love a good whisky toot with good friends, it's the best.

Wow, a Highland Park. Mmmmm, Highland Park. You should really try some of the single casks, tho', if you get a chance. They write hilarious tasting notes in the booklets, they only do that for fun, they call them things like: "boiled sweets on a bonfire" or "old wellies on the beach". I should think while they're tasting, they're just rolling around on the floor laughing and making these things up. Nobody who actually buys the bottles cares; they're all delicious.

It's been a while since I actually could buy a bottle, LOL! I just about keep up my membership, I prioritise it over academic associations, <snerk>.
:rose:

I once ran/partially owned a bar located in Earl's Court, London. Our specialties were Scotch and cigars. Once a month we had tastings, and I never missed a one when I was in charge. At the onset, I didn't have much of an appreciation for those Highland spirits, but man did my perceptions change, and rather quickly.

These days, I'm able to treat myself to a standard Glenfiddich, Glenomorangie, or Laphroiagh from time to time. I make the bottles last, and appreciate them. But they aren't like what I used to get . . . .

I once ran/partially owned a bar located in Earl's Court, London. Our specialties were Scotch and cigars. Once a month we had tastings, and I never missed a one when I was in charge. At the onset, I didn't have much of an appreciation for those Highland spirits, but man did my perceptions change, and rather quickly.

These days, I'm able to treat myself to a standard Glenfiddich, Glenomorangie, or Laphroiagh from time to time. I make the bottles last, and appreciate them. But they aren't like what I used to get . . . .

Hmm, I have yet to experience a proper whiskey tasting. Wouldn't mind getting my palate beyond Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. ;)

Hmm, I have yet to experience a proper whiskey tasting. Wouldn't mind getting my palate beyond Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. ;)

Oh, there's a world of experiences out there, John. Jack Daniels has nothing on a good, well-crafted, rich bourbon whiskey, like Woodford Reserve. Maker's Mark is pretty good, too, but it's become pretty commercial and is thus in danger of following in Jack's footprints with regards to ingredients and production.

But the real deal is Scotch. ;)

Oh, there's a world of experiences out there, John. Jack Daniels has nothing on a good, well-crafted, rich bourbon whiskey, like Woodford Reserve. Maker's Mark is pretty good, too, but it's become pretty commercial and is thus in danger of following in Jack's footprints with regards to ingredients and production.

But the real deal is Scotch. ;)

I assume that the good stuff does not burn the throat or require some sort of chaser. I tasted some Don Julio a couple years ago and it was actually drinkable tequila on it's own, unlike Jose Cuervo.

I assume that the good stuff does not burn the throat or require some sort of chaser. I tasted some Don Julio a couple years ago and it was actually drinkable tequila on it's own, unlike Jose Cuervo.

Depends. Scotch is known for its bite, much the same as Tequila. It's not the same kind of bite, however. Scotch floods the palate, while tequila constricts the back of your throat. In general, the higher the quality, the less caustic the spirit is, but that's not always the case. Certain liquors are simply not intended for shots, such as Scotch.

When you drink a Scotch, you inhale the aroma, savor the flavor, and make a two-ounce pour last a good hour. Shoot it down like cheap rum, and you're missing the point.

Okay, I really have to get to bed now. 'Night.

Ever since an unfortunate incident at sixteen involving a half bottle of Scotch and resulting in me vomiting spectacularly on my father, I can't abide even the smell of whisky... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back