The Makeup Fairy Returns!

Thank you all for your new questions and I'll get to them really soon!

I have a review also coming soon, so y'all look for that in your subscriptions!

Any more questions feel free to post them here or PM them, and I'll have one huge review/answer post after Christmas!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FAIRY FANS! :heart::rose::heart:

Can't believe I've never seen this thread before! Awesome.
I recently had C02 laser under my eyes to remove pre- cancerous lesions and the skin there hasn't quite recovered yet- still red and darker than the surrounding skin. I'm looking for an under- eye concealer I can wear over my emollient eye cream and my high SPF sun cream that won't settle into lines, smear off or clump. Any ideas?

Hello darling! Have you tried Clinique's "All About Eyes" line? They have a really nice moisturizing medium-coverage concealer that is very gentle to the delicate skin of the eyes and is very good at not settling into lines. With a little bit of primer and applying only SPARING powder, I've seen very good results with it!

http://www.clinique.com/product/1596/5161/Makeup/Concealers/All-About-Eyes-Concealer/index.tmpl

Also: DOUBLE CHOCOLATE RAINBOW STARS for using sunscreen! Not enough people do, so I always love seeing folks taking sun protection seriously! (Especially right after cosmetic procedures! Don't want to wreck that hard work, right?!)

apologies if this is a repeat of previous Qs.

Someone gave me a mascara as gift because I normally wear very little makeup at work and now that I mostly wear eyeglasses to work, she felt it her duty to do this. Whatever.

The mascara is great though, I love it. I cannot for the life of me get all of it off.
I've used oil-based removers, water-based removers, wipes, soap and water, removers for waterproof mascaras. ugh! All the removers do get some off-or even most I think at the time, but if I wash my face then or even later, I get all this black..blech all over my washcloths.

Ideas?

Petroleum Jelly!

It sounds crazy, but hear me out. It's oil based and brilliant at breaking up even the most stubborn waterproof makeup, including tenacious mascara. Apply a generous amount over your closed lids, massage gently all over the eye area for thirty seconds, then wipe off with a wet wipe/makeup removing cloth/wet washcloth you don't mind potentially staining. Not only will it get rid of your mascara, it'll leave your lashes feeling very soft and moisturized!

I love the stuff and use it to soften dry heels, remove eye makeup and make my own custom colored lip gloss. Plus you can get a huge tub of it for like, two dollars and it'll last you about a HUNDRED YEARS, give or take a month or two!

Note: You will look like a reject from KISS after you open your eyes and you have scary shiny black raccoon makeup all over your eyes, but the wet wipe will destroy any evidence that you ever went through a Goth phase, I promise. ;)

Can anyone suggest a fluffy powder puff? I've purchased three off of Amazon, but they all have very short nap. I want something really fluffy, but I can't tell from pictures. Any suggestions?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PowderPuffEmporium?ref=l2-shop-info-name

Never doubt the Fairy skills, girl, I WILL HOOK YOU UP! :heart:

I wonder if you can give me some eye advice. I'm noticing circles (not dark, just circles...maybe a little puffy) under my eyes. My eyes are also tiny as is my pupillary distance. I wear a youth glasses frame for this reason. Ultimately, I think the circles make me look tired. I'd like to accentuate my eyes without being "made up." You know what I look like, too, so you likely understand that I've had trouble finding the right colors, etc. I'm too pink! Plus, I like my freckles. :)

A friend of mine sells Mary Kay, but I looked FAKE after she "helped" me. Not my style at all.

Care to chat here? Facebook? Text? Whenever you have some free time, I know it's the holidays and I can also see your make-up fairy services are in demand. :)

You and I talked over Facebook but I thought that this question was a good one and very common, so I thought I'd share my reply here so other people can benefit from it too!

One of the things that's really easy to do to make them look larger is to use a beige eyeliner on your waterline. That'll make an optical illusion that the whites of your eyes are larger, thus making your eyes appear bigger. Use a darker eyeliner underneath it just under your lower lashes to give it a nice contrast, and you've got a great fast way of making your eyes look larger! It's also a great way to make your eyes look fresh and awake when you're hung over, tired or sick!

Okay Fairy Fans, that's it for now! Stay tuned for that review coming soon, and as always, if you have any questions for me please feel free to ask them here, or if you want to remain Anonymous, PM them to me and your confidentiality will be maintained!

Last edited:
Petroleum Jelly!

It sounds crazy, but hear me out. It's oil based and brilliant at breaking up even the most stubborn waterproof makeup, including tenacious mascara. Apply a generous amount over your closed lids, massage gently all over the eye area for thirty seconds, then wipe off with a wet wipe/makeup removing cloth/wet washcloth you don't mind potentially staining. Not only will it get rid of your mascara, it'll leave your lashes feeling very soft and moisturized!

I love the stuff and use it to soften dry heels, remove eye makeup and make my own custom colored lip gloss. Plus you can get a huge tub of it for like, two dollars and it'll last you about a HUNDRED YEARS, give or take a month or two!

Note: You will look like a reject from KISS after you open your eyes and you have scary shiny black raccoon makeup all over your eyes, but the wet wipe will destroy any evidence that you ever went through a Goth phase, I promise. ;)

Vaseline is great for your feet but I wouldn't put that into your eyes. It's water resistant and clogs up your pores.

I would try Lancome's Bifacil Make Up remover. The trick is not to just wipe wipe wipe - soak a cotton bud into it, then press it against your eyelashes until they are saturated with the cleaner. Then wipe clean. Repeat until the buds come away clean when you wipe your eyes.

Dear Make-Up Fairy,

How does a woman with normally combination-oily skin deal with the climate that is wreaking havoc on her skin? For the first time in my life, my skin - particularly my cheeks and eye area - feels tight! :eek:

(I am assuming that this is due to winter and the extreme temperatures as it sort of started when the cold snap was in day 3 and affects only my face...)

Any tips? Suggestions? Reassurances that this will go away?

Thank you,

Dried-Out Oil Well.

Last edited:
Dear Make-Up Fairy,

How does a woman with normally combination-oily skin deal with the climate that is wreaking havoc on her skin? For the first time in my life, my skin - particularly my cheeks and eye area - feels tight! :eek:

(I am assuming that this is due to winter and the extreme temperatures as it sort of started when the cold snap was in day 3...)

Thank you,

Dried-Out Oil Well.

Women I know swear by coconut oil as a skin treatment, they claim treating their skin with it really softens it. Given that coconut oil is a lot cheaper than most face creams, might be worth a shot:)

Dear Make-Up Fairy,

(I am assuming that this is due to winter and the extreme temperatures as it sort of started when the cold snap was in day 3 and affects only my face...)

Thank you,

Dried-Out Oil Well.

One of the things that I want to make sure of is that you're 100% sure the change in your skin is due to the weather and not age. As we mature, our skin can and WILL change, from oily to normal, normal to dry, dry to combination and really, any amalgam of those possibilities!

I don't really want to prescribe an entire skin care regime change if you're not sure your skin might not turn around back to usual when the weather shifts seasons, so for now, I'm just going to suggest a few things you can do for a temporary moisture boost.

Switch to a heavier-duty moisturizer. A cream instead of a lotion, if your skin is VERY dry. Also, as NJ suggested, coconut oil is a fantastic way to remove makeup gently without drying Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and will leave an emollient barrier to trap water within the skin. Also, skip using hot water on your skin, -ever-, even in the shower. Warm/cool ONLY, hot water will only aggravate the dryness!

Give your skin a few months. If in the Spring you don't notice a change back to your usual skin condition, then this is the maturing process rather than a temporary shift due to the climate. If this IS a maturing process and your skin HAS permanently changed, come back for a more thorough regime recommendation.

If the above techniques are not sufficient to keep your skin moist and calm, come back and I'll see what else I can do for you! :D

Last edited:
I'm loving this thread!

I just want to mention a great moisturizer: grapeseed oil! it's cheap, you can find it in your local grocery store next to the olive and canola oils. It's light, helps prevent acne (it apparently has antibacterial properties) and anti-inflammatory properties so it prevents redness. I can say it's helped my skin tremendously, and it's fragrance-free, which is a big bonus for me. It's versatile. You can cook with it, use it for massaging and give your hair a hot oil treatment with it.

My question for the Makeup Fairy: how do you prevent mascara from smearing and giving you "panda eyes"? I can use a brand and have it be fine, only to find the next tube I buy of the exact same, will smear halfway through the day. I use translucent powder all around my eyes to absorb any oils, so I wouldn't think it's that. I also only use eyeliner on my top lid not the bottom, so it shouldn't be that that's running. Any tips? I've tried waterproof mascaras, but I find them a pain and a half to remove. As for the grapeseed oil, I only put it on before bed, so it's well absorbed by morning and I don't put it on my eyes. Any help would be appreciated.

My question for the Makeup Fairy: how do you prevent mascara from smearing and giving you "panda eyes"? I can use a brand and have it be fine, only to find the next tube I buy of the exact same, will smear halfway through the day. I use translucent powder all around my eyes to absorb any oils, so I wouldn't think it's that. I also only use eyeliner on my top lid not the bottom, so it shouldn't be that that's running. Any tips? I've tried waterproof mascaras, but I find them a pain and a half to remove. As for the grapeseed oil, I only put it on before bed, so it's well absorbed by morning and I don't put it on my eyes. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello new Fairy Fan!

You find waterproof mascaras too difficult to remove? THAT'S THE POINT, my friend! Using Vaseline, or soaking it with makeup remover will help dissolve the sturdy bonds, but the very point of waterproof mascara is to help people like yourself (and myself!) with naturally oily eyelids to retain mascara integrity throughout the day! I personally LOVE Petroleum Jelly as a stubborn-eye-makeup-buster, and I haven't found a SINGLE pigment yet that can withstand it's nearly magical abilities to break down heavy waterproof mascaras and liners. It's cheap, to boot!

So far, I haven't found a happy medium mascara, one that's tough enough to withstand facial oil and be waterproof but easy to remove. The pigments are just going to be stubborn when manufactured to meet those demands! Find new ways to remove the makeup rather than skipping out on it's wonderful staying power!

thanks for the tip! I have a huge squick factor about using petroleum products around my eyes (or even on my skin altogether actually). I know you only need a tiny amount for makeup removal. I'll try to get over my aversion! LOL. :)

thanks for the tip! I have a huge squick factor about using petroleum products around my eyes (or even on my skin altogether actually). I know you only need a tiny amount for makeup removal. I'll try to get over my aversion! LOL. :)

If you can't get over the texture, try some of that grapeseed oil you were talking about before! Really any kind of oil-based product should be ace for getting waterproof mascara off!

If you can't get over the texture, try some of that grapeseed oil you were talking about before! Really any kind of oil-based product should be ace for getting waterproof mascara off!

It's not the texture of petroleum products, it's the fact that they *are* petroleum products. LOL. I know they're safe to use cosmetically, I just have an aversion to putting that stuff on my skin. One of my (many) quirks. ;)

What is your opinion on GLOminerals makeup if any?

and Eminance Organic Skin Care. :)

:rose:

One of the things that I want to make sure of is that you're 100% sure the change in your skin is due to the weather and not age. As we mature, our skin can and WILL change, from oily to normal, normal to dry, dry to combination and really, any amalgam of those possibilities!

I don't really want to prescribe an entire skin care regime change if you're not sure your skin might not turn around back to usual when the weather shifts seasons, so for now, I'm just going to suggest a few things you can do for a temporary moisture boost.

Switch to a heavier-duty moisturizer. A cream instead of a lotion, if your skin is VERY dry. Also, as NJ suggested, coconut oil is a fantastic way to remove makeup gently without drying Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, and will leave an emollient barrier to trap water within the skin. Also, skip using hot water on your skin, -ever-, even in the shower. Warm/cool ONLY, hot water will only aggravate the dryness!

Give your skin a few months. If in the Spring you don't notice a change back to your usual skin condition, then this is the maturing process rather than a temporary shift due to the climate. If this IS a maturing process and your skin HAS permanently changed, come back for a more thorough regime recommendation.

If the above techniques are not sufficient to keep your skin moist and calm, come back and I'll see what else I can do for you! :D

Oh thank you! This is perfect; I've mentioned this tip to a few friends who were also complaining of the tightness (it's not necessarily dry but tight) of their skin and we are all starting to feel a certain relief (and thank you for warning me to be patient!)

I will most certainly let you know! Thank you! :rose::rose:

apologies if this is a repeat of previous Qs.

Someone gave me a mascara as gift because I normally wear very little makeup at work and now that I mostly wear eyeglasses to work, she felt it her duty to do this. Whatever.

The mascara is great though, I love it. I cannot for the life of me get all of it off.
I've used oil-based removers, water-based removers, wipes, soap and water, removers for waterproof mascaras. ugh! All the removers do get some off-or even most I think at the time, but if I wash my face then or even later, I get all this black..blech all over my washcloths.

Ideas?

One mascara I used had to be removed with hot water. It stated thus in the instructions. Otherwise, tough to get off!

I'm looking to start a story series about a man who is very into women's clothes. (On women--not on himself :D) Are you comfortable answering questions about clothing in addition to cosmetics?

I'm looking to start a story series about a man who is very into women's clothes. (On women--not on himself :D) Are you comfortable answering questions about clothing in addition to cosmetics?

Fashion has been featured a few times on this column, and I'm in no way a fashion icon but I am willing to help you as long as the questions aren't inappropriate or wank-material! :)

And if it is lingerie you are actually after, there's the Ask Cutie Mouse Your Lingerie Questions thread over on the BDSM board... Not to diss this excellent thread! Which I love :D

Mascara light

Hi Makeup Fairy :)
I don't use a lot of makeup, and what I do use I like to look pretty natural. I have a hard time finding a good mascara that doesn't glue my eyelashes together or look too heavy. I usually unscrew the cap, then wipe the brush on a tissue to get most of the mascara off the brush before I use it, but even then everything seems to end up clumping them together a bit...
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Hi Makeup Fairy :)
I don't use a lot of makeup, and what I do use I like to look pretty natural. I have a hard time finding a good mascara that doesn't glue my eyelashes together or look too heavy. I usually unscrew the cap, then wipe the brush on a tissue to get most of the mascara off the brush before I use it, but even then everything seems to end up clumping them together a bit...
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Have you tried a clear mascara?
As in, no colour?
Several makeup companies make them, and they're good for defining without looking like you have spiderlegs glued to your eyelids!

On another note...... I bought Garnier's Perfect Blur the other day to try.
LoveloveLOVE!
This stuff really does exactly what it says it does..... Blurs out small imperfections and lines.
Now a MUST HAVE in my skincare routine!
:)

Have you tried a clear mascara?
As in, no colour?
Several makeup companies make them, and they're good for defining without looking like you have spiderlegs glued to your eyelids!

Hah! This cracked me up, as "spider legs" is exactly what I say they look like! :p and no, I haven't tried that, but I will. Thanks! :)

Back