Any pitfalls in just not bothering with an editor?

To each his own. I'm guessing it's hard, especially on a site that has volunteer editors, to find a good editor/author match. I know you weren't addressing your comment specifically to me. It's only in the last couple of months I've been doing any editing and the hardest part is developing a good working relationship with the author, getting used to each other's ways. I can see where it would be easy for both sides to get annoyed as hell and just say fuck it. I've learned a lot, which was my reason for getting into it. I've edited docs from 2400 words to close to 30k. The 30k was a killer. I just spent all night finishing the 3rd and final edit. I told the author whatever errors show up now, too fing bad. I left a smiley face in the email with that note. I know he feels the same way. I think we both feel like we're sick of the story, which turned out great, even though I had to tell him after this, no more sex scenes but vanilla. I'm just a mouse. :) Needless to say, I prefer the shorter docs.

I was thinking of my collisions with editors over specific words. Take MATERIEL. Its the plural form for military stuff. You order materials from the lumber yard but once the army takes delivery of the boards and nails and paint it's MATERIEL. MESS is another funny word. And JEW. I simply don't wanna wrestle with an editor about what they don't know. I don't know it all, but I know what I know.

I was thinking of my collisions with editors over specific words. Take MATERIEL. Its the plural form for military stuff. You order materials from the lumber yard but once the army takes delivery of the boards and nails and paint it's MATERIEL. MESS is another funny word. And JEW. I simply don't wanna wrestle with an editor about what they don't know. I don't know it all, but I know what I know.

I hear what you're saying.

The writer creates. The editor is there to help. If they can't agree on how to work together where they're both satisfied, it's probably not a good match.

Ideally, you have an editor to catch stuff you missed and offer high quality suggestions on clarity and comprehensibility.

Of course, ideally you have a contract worth millions, the writing talent of Franzen or Chabon, and do your best work while being sexually serviced by a willing queue of worshipful, nubile fans.

In the real world, if you aren't getting paid (or paid much) to write, then try to get a friend or a volunteer but don't sweat it if you can't find anyone.

I find it helps to not touch the story for a month after you think it is ready, and then look again.

Last edited:
Well I wasn't going to comment but

It would be just a bit churlish not to thank those who have added thoughts since my 'last post' so I will break my monastic silence with a Thank you.

We are all on the same page about the advantages of the writer/editor partnership but as I had as much luck as I used to have at the school dances with that terrifying no-man's land between them on the one side and us on the other I continue on my own.

I have submitted Daffy and Daisy and it is currently pending so once it's up, someone might get the blue pen out and decide they can improve my writing.

Who knows and if we did , wouldn't life be boring?

Well it's up

(Yes, as the well known Eclesiastic remarked to the equally renowned Thespian)

The description Is meant to be "First time Lesbians..."

It reads "Fist time Lesbians.."

oops.

As mentioned before, a second set of eyes is invaluable. If you attempt to edit your own work, you're going to run into a few unavoidable problems.

1. You know what it's supposed to look like. What I mean by this is as you're going over it for the second, fourth or tenth time, you know what should be there instead of what is actually there. Your brain will automatically skip over errors which makes them harder to catch and fix. That's why a lot of the posters here have recommended not looking at it for a while and then giving it another gander.

2. You probably don't possess both forms of genitalia. As mentioned before, it's good to have an editor of the opposite gender. He/She can provide invaluable insight into the inner workings of their gender's mind and body. My editor is constantly reminding me that there are two individuals copulating and that I need to include 'her' perspective. The pliant flesh of her breast feels good in his hand but how does being groped feel to her?

3. You know what you know and that's all that you know. Your knowledge and experience is limited to your knowledge and experience. By bringing in another individual (or 3-4), you can pull from their experiences and enrich your characters beyond what you would have been able to alone.

Now that I've answered your original post, I'll move on to the inherent difficulties of finding and working with an editor.

In the eight months I've spent writing my story, I've read countless editor profiles looking for help. Of those, there were about 50 that were a seemingly good fit. Out of the 50 messages I sent out to potential editors, I got roughly 10 responses. Ultimately, I only worked with four of those individuals. Of those four, I'm currently down too two.

All four of the editors I've worked with are no longer part of the Literotica editor's program. The two that still work with me do so because I've built a personal and lasting relationship with them (all long-distance, no sex, sexting, etc.).

The point I'm trying to make is that chances are you won't find a decent editor for a while yet but that doesn't mean you should give up entirely. Look at the volunteer list every week or so and see if there is anyone you feel will be of assistance to you. If you do find someone, be honest and open about your expectations, ask them if there is anything you can help them with, and finally work to build a lasting relationship with them. A friend is much more likely to help you than a stranger you have an ambiguous relationship with.

At the minimum you can latch up with someone else writing similar stories to yours who can't find an editor either and trade "second eyes" reads. You can pin down a lot of errors this way. And beyond that, Literotica isn't the New Yorker, so at some point "good enough" is "good enough."

Bet it gets more views spelled this way than as intended. :D

I thought it might too but I haven't had any quotes from Lesbian fetishists so I think they all knew I meant First Time. Jolly good Title for a Lesbian Fisting Story all the same.

At the minimum you can latch up with someone else writing similar stories to yours who can't find an editor either and trade "second eyes" reads. You can pin down a lot of errors this way. And beyond that, Literotica isn't the New Yorker, so at some point "good enough" is "good enough."

You think so?

In my experience of writers we're insecure competitive little dears, we'd spend all our time rubbishing each others work under the guise of fulsome praise.

You think so?

In my experience of writers we're insecure competitive little dears, we'd spend all our time rubbishing each others work under the guise of fulsome praise.

I'm insecure and competitive but I'm not THAT insecure and competitive :) As an editor I try to keep it constructive.

You think so?

I don't even read much of "each other's" work, much less rubbish it.

And when I'm in editing mode, I don't think of the work I'm editing as in any way competitive with what I write.

And when I'm in editing mode, I don't think of the work I'm editing as in any way competitive with what I write.

Well that was a bit of a quip really so don't take it literally. But we are all human and as long as we have a pulse it is natural to be competitive.

Maybe not quite as bad as that.

Well that was a bit of a quip really so don't take it literally. But we are all human and as long as we have a pulse it is natural to be competitive.

Maybe not quite as bad as that.

I'm not a bit competitive when editing, no. It's not my work. I see no competition with what I write.

And how can I be competitive with what someone writing for the same market as I do if I don't read what they write?

God, it's not all that difficult. Just write what you like and publish it where the rewards are sufficient for you.

I agree. When I'm editing, then editing is my focus, not checking out who's better.

FWIW, it's unrealistic to expect an editor to give a 24 hour turn around because the writer is in a hurry to submit, especially when the story is filled with run-on sentences, poor transitions, poor punctuation, and sentences that don't make any sense because worīds have been left out.

That is all. End of bitchin.

I agree. When I'm editing, then editing is my focus, not checking out who's better.

Look, I have to apologize, it was New Zealand humour, or humor if the post vocalic R is apart of your accent, and I keep forgetting other Nationalities listen intently then take what's said seriously.

Don't? OK.

And it's great that you guys are the way you are, it's the major reason I came here, but not everyone is like you. That thing about not being able to freeze your rating, why would writers do that if it wasn't because they were competitive.

I'm lucky though, this was one of my best stories and it's 'soaring' at 4.27 so there isn't a huge temptation to freeze that and cross my fingers for the monthly prizes huh, I'll be down in the crowd watching- my hope is 2,427 positive dope tests after the rankings are announced.

I am a seasoned writer here with 307 or so stories posted. I know it gets exciting posting a story and watching the score. I'm over that now. I'm more concerned with the comments myself. And the occasional feedback emails I receive. Some are negative in nature but most are positive. Take them in stride as criticism but don't necessarily change your writing to suit all, that won't and can't happen.

Best of luck. If in the future don't hesitate to contact me, I also edit but haven't lately as I've been taking a siesta. PM me for my email if needed and the story is in the 5 - 10k range.

I DO have a 24-hour turn-around in some cases.

I am a seasoned writer here with 307 or so stories posted. I know it gets exciting posting a story and watching the score. I'm over that now. I'm more concerned with the comments myself. And the occasional feedback emails I receive. Some are negative in nature but most are positive. Take them in stride as criticism but don't necessarily change your writing to suit all, that won't and can't happen.

Best of luck. If in the future don't hesitate to contact me, I also edit but haven't lately as I've been taking a siesta. PM me for my email if needed and the story is in the 5 - 10k range.

I DO have a 24-hour turn-around in some cases.

Thanks for that, if it's OK I will send you a draft, when I have something, and a second pair of eyes would be great. I have fallen into the trap of thinking background things are so obvious when they're only obvious to me because they were in my mind but didn't actually get to the page.

And, yes, I have fallen into quite a few other traps as well.

Yes you can get so into your story that you're not reading it objectively. Many times I'm writing so much that I can't see typos but other people can. It's important to get an editor but many can't afford it. If you can't afford it then I suggest putting the work away for awhile, then checking it with fresh eyes. So many times I've been surprised to find work that I thought was good before riddled with typos :)
I know what you mean. I once submittted a story i had edited and proofread. It was rejected because i had changed the name of my protagonist half way through.

Two months on

Well I never did manage to get an editor. Shame? Yes, I think so .( so I bet does everyone brave enough to have read my stories)

No, I'm being cute there- I know so. Anyway I'm jealous of all you writers and your friendly relationships with your editors. I imagine the writer attaching a doc to a cheery note reading "Do what you can with this one doll" or "work your magic sweets PLEASE!!!!" With some brilliantly polished masterpiece coming back attached to equally ego massaging messages from the Editor.

Jealous or envious? A bit of both really.

Well I never did manage to get an editor. Shame? Yes, I think so .( so I bet does everyone brave enough to have read my stories)

No, I'm being cute there- I know so. Anyway I'm jealous of all you writers and your friendly relationships with your editors. I imagine the writer attaching a doc to a cheery note reading "Do what you can with this one doll" or "work your magic sweets PLEASE!!!!" With some brilliantly polished masterpiece coming back attached to equally ego massaging messages from the Editor.

I don't know if most Lit writers have an editor or one they consistently work with on Lit submissions. Did you do a search of editor profiles?

Yes. I've spoken ( by email ) with a few but there just hasn't been a match so I continue the journey alone.

It is me, I'm quite sure of it. I have the ideas I just wish I could present them more coherently; 'flow' would be one of many wonderful things I wish I had in my stories.

I don't have an editor. I used to have someone who did reads (some call them a beta reader), but life/family obligations took him away from Lit. Now I don't have anyone consistent for that either.

I know what you mean. I once submittted a story i had edited and proofread. It was rejected because i had changed the name of my protagonist half way through.

I have done that at least twice. Each time the story was posted before I noticed. Both times readers who are also posters on the Authors' Hangout pointed out the mistake.

It is a flaw in my writing technique. When I start to write a story I use 'vanilla' names such as John and Mary, and as the story develops and the characters develop I reconsider their names. If there are more appropriate names, then I use Search and Replace in Word. But that doesn't always catch possessives such as John's, Mary's. And I sometimes forget when editing to add more development that John has become Duncan...

I don't use an editor, not because I don't need one, but because I find the editing process irritating. It stems from my historic education in English Literature. We were required to deconstruct and analyse everything. For years that destroyed any enjoyment in that particular classic. I find that editing except for typos damages the spontaneity of my writing and I get writer's block. :(

I appreciate the work of editors and if I were to write for money I would want to use one. But I write to amuse myself and the editing process is hard work, not entertainment.

Back