A Question about Cobblers (the dessert)

Cobbler

A common recipe used by native Americans, when they were trying to survive on government rations (some still are, and this is still used):

You got a sack of flour, a tin of baking powder, a bucket of lard and some salt and sugar every month. Unless the agent stole it.

You mixed flour, baking powder, melted lard and salt and water into a batter and put it in a greased cast iron pan. Add any kind of fruit or berries you can find. Sprinkle this with sugar. Bake in the pan, either in an oven if you're fortunate enough to have one, or buried in coals.

I make this sometimes using biscuit mix. It makes a nice coffee cake if you top with sugar and cinnamon. Coconut flake is nice too.
 
It's just something 'cobbled together' for a meal.
Beef cobbler is rather nice!

HP is not having you on here! In the UK, they make meat dishes with cobblers too.

I think of a cobbler as distinct from a crumble. An apple crumble has stewed apple, then a layer of biscuit-crumb-like sweet topping on it. A meat or fruit cobbler has the biscuit-crumb mix squished together into round balls (mmmm ... oh, sorry :eek:), or cut with cookie cutters into scones. These kind of float on the surface of the fruit compote or the thick meat stew.
:rose:
 
Back
Top