The Official Author's Hangout Earth Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Views are pretty good for Crazy for Daisies. I can't complain. 22,870, six comments, and good feedback so far, and it's only been up since last Tuesday. Of course, the score is LOW - at least, low enough to lose it's H with the slightest breeze. We'll see how it does after the contest is over. Scores usually jump up after a contest. Strange how that works, eh? :)

Unless you win, and then they magically drop. Drastically. :p

Well, I ain't got no cool tats like you do, Slyc, so don't expect anything spectacular. lol

I'll prolly just put the pic of me in my signature as my AV and remove it from my sig.

That'll work ;)

Unless you win, and then they magically drop. Drastically. :p

Typically, they recover over time, however. Not usually to the high at the time of winning the contest, but back into the same general range. All the 1 bombs drop off in sweeps, but the 4s and such from people seeing it prominantly linked on the front page of the site still drop the score some.

The exposure is well worth losing a few points on a story :)

Typically, they recover over time, however. Not usually to the high at the time of winning the contest, but back into the same general range. All the 1 bombs drop off in sweeps, but the 4s and such from people seeing it prominantly linked on the front page of the site still drop the score some.

The exposure is well worth losing a few points on a story :)

There's always a trade-off. *sigh*

Loving Wives isn't always that bad. My very first story ever on Lit was actually in the category, and I had yet to even post in the AH before that story went up. But it's got a red H (at least I think it still does), so I guess I didn't follow the formula for pissing off the readers. :p

Haven't had an LW story since, though. Nothing I've been inspired to write would fit there.

Btw, I checked. Unfortunately, you lost the red H for your one and only LW story. There's no pleasing that crowd and I'm not going to even try. Writing is hard work, and the work that comes after that is even harder, and I don't want my stories to be attacked as if I'd written a revision of Satan's Bible. :devil: {Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm a coward - and proud of it! }

You two made me go back an check on some of my H's in loving wifes. I still have around 45 with red H's in that category. Probably because I have a zillion stories. :) Not really! More than half my loving wives stories do.

I write what comes into my crazy old mind. I was in the middle of writing a loving wife/interacial story when I thought of a romantic Earth Day story. I stopped my crazy story and wrote the Earth Day story. Now I have to wait for my mind to decide wher my other story is going. Probably in the unfinished pile.:eek:

Candlelight, love your little smilies.
Best to you both. Sorry to listen in on your conversation.:rolleyes:
DG

I agree

I agree with Kipper about how ideas come to you, then you figure out what category they fall in.

You two made me go back an check on some of my H's in loving wifes. I still have around 45 with red H's in that category. Probably because I have a zillion stories. :) Not really! More than half my loving wives stories do.

I write what comes into my crazy old mind. I was in the middle of writing a loving wife/interacial story when I thought of a romantic Earth Day story. I stopped my crazy story and wrote the Earth Day story. Now I have to wait for my mind to decide wher my other story is going. Probably in the unfinished pile.:eek:

Candlelight, love your little smilies.
Best to you both. Sorry to listen in on your conversation.:rolleyes:
DG

It's an open and public thread, so no need to apologize - and you know it.

I maintain that any author who writes in the LW category has to be incredibly brave. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you, just like them.

But I'm not there yet.

It's an open and public thread, so no need to apologize - and you know it.

I maintain that any author who writes in the LW category has to be incredibly brave. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you, just like them.

But I'm not there yet.

The best way to do it is to just pull up your panties real tight and dive in head first. It only hurts for a second or two. ;)

Contest analysis - Earth Day Contest 2013

Good evening. The cloud formations tell me that there are 55 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.27 from an average of 309 votes. Stories had an average of 22,268 views, an average of 8 favorites, and an average of 8 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.33%. The average number of pages is 2.7, with the longest story being 10 pages.

So far there have been a total of 15,143 votes, 1,224,746 views, 460 favorites and 461 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.27) is 0.40 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 309) is 391. The median score is 4.42, the median number of votes is 168 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.52 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 4.07 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 7 stories have had their votes adjusted, with 4 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 2 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 10 votes swept, being an average of 1 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 3. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).

Categories entered (alphabetic order)

• BDSM (2 stories)
  • Celebrities (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (8 stories)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur (3 stories)
  • Fetish (1 story)
  • Gay Male (1 story)
  • Group Sex (2 stories)
  • Humor & Satire (1 story)
  • Illustrated (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (10 stories)
  • Lesbian Sex (2 stories)
  • Loving Wives (2 stories)
  • Mature (2 stories)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance (3 stories)
  • NonHuman (4 stories)
  • Reviews & Essays (1 story)
  • Romance (6 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (4 stories)
  • Text With Audio (1 story)

New stories today

Authors entered so far are:

AffectionateFather, alwayswantedto, Armphid, Ashson (2), Aunay, Beelzebub72, BrookMeier, Candlelight062, CatRun, CavyConsultant, chocolatecookie3, Cndrlla69, curlyspurs, DG Hear, eclare (2), Euphonic, HeyAll (2), hoo_hoo_boo (2), HottieKatie, ihartekenny, JagFarlane (2), Jasmynn_Brown, JuanVato, litfan10, Lovefreely1993, memorable_event, msgrant67, MSTarot, OpalEssence, RedHairedandFriendly (2), RjThoughts, Rutabaga72, sexnovella, silkstockingslover (2), slyc_willie (2), sr71plt, StaciRay79, Stacy469, subwryter, SusanJillParker, theravenfox, tk5555, Tx Tall Tales, TxRad, vencuyot, xelliebabex, YDB95

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Earth Day Contest 2013

I was wondering who'd be the first and how long it would take, but finally a reader has posted a comment that they didn't like the "centering" on the first page of Crazy for Daisies, my Earth Day submission, and claims to have stopped reading it.

This is a known bug, one that isn't going to get fixed in a hurry I gather. There is about one center tag, here:

Code:
© 2013 ~ All Rights Reserved<p align="center"><br  />

That is never closed. I forget the reason, it was something to do with the single asterisk you used to delimit the copyright from the text. I think if you change that to *** the problem goes away. I note that it is still doing it right now.

Or if it isn't that exactly, it is something about the copyright line. Maybe the tilde.

And yes, it is mildly annoying, it looks you are attempting some strange "style", when of course you aren't.

Contact Laurel about that centering bug through PM. Tell her that the first Center tag isn't closed so she knows exactly where to look, and it should be fixed as soon as she sees it.

That's one thing she always jumps on quickly -- fixing posting errors that she or the system have caused.

But I'm not there yet.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much bravery (at least for me); it's just fun. I entered the Valentine's Day contest with a story in LW about a wife totally screwing over her husband on Valentine's Day. I got more hate e-mails than you could imagine. It's okay with me because I take it to mean that they took the time to read the story.

Made it!

With time running out, I finished my Earth Day 2013 entry!
I was afraid I wouldn't make it this year; good luck everyone!

Speaking of loving wive...

My latest LW tale Marriage as a house, has really stirred up the crowd. Definitely one of those Love it or Hate it stories. Two days, 84 comments. Kind of crazy.

Of course lots of bile and hatred toward the author. It cracks me up, how so few understand a story is fiction. I must be what I write, you know. Makes me one really weird dude, with the range of stories I've posted.

Didn't expect this much attention for a little throw away story, but it's a great example of how you can put your foot in it, in the LW category.

Trying desperately to finish my second contest story, but it's gotten away from me, and looks to be about 11 lit pages long, unless I can clean it up.

Good luck to all of you trying to get your stories finished as well!

Today is the last day to submit a story for the contest? As in if I submit my story within a couple hours it will make it on the Earth Day story list?

Today is the last day to submit a story for the contest? As in if I submit my story within a couple hours it will make it on the Earth Day story list?

I think midnight tonight, east coast time.

I think midnight tonight, east coast time.

Ok, thanks. Phew.

I didn't expect to get into writing my entry as much as I did because the theme didn't appeal to me at first. So for something different, I wrote it in a category I haven't written before, which did spur me on and I ended up liking Earth Day after all.

It only hurts for a second or two. ;)

Like having a tooth drilled without Novocaine? I had that done once. Never again! But it's something like that? :D

Thanks but no thanks! At least, not now.

This is a known bug, one that isn't going to get fixed in a hurry I gather. There is about one center tag, here:

Code:
© 2013 ~ All Rights Reserved<p align="center"><br  />

That is never closed. I forget the reason, it was something to do with the single asterisk you used to delimit the copyright from the text. I think if you change that to *** the problem goes away. I note that it is still doing it right now.

Or if it isn't that exactly, it is something about the copyright line. Maybe the tilde.

And yes, it is mildly annoying, it looks you are attempting some strange "style", when of course you aren't.

Actually, the asterisk was placed there by them. The title was there originally {which I forgot to remove before submitting} and they replaced it with a single asterisk. But they fixed the whole thing the following morning - not that it helped the score much. In fact, the score had dropped and I lost the H. Hopefully, the score will rise after the contest is over. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm a score-whore.

But I see that you'd posted the above response yesterday and you say it's still there?? When I click on it, I don't see it anymore, but then again they'd only corrected it on Friday morning, which was around the time you wrote your response to me.

Missed this contest.

My story stalled and then I got the dreaded norovirus. My brain is addled and I'm shivering.

See you next contest.

Og going back to bed.

Back